Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 714 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:26am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Joe K Jul 26, 2005, 07:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Colin,

Thanks for the offer, but we have enough spare parts laying around already. You can more than likely sell it on ebay.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Frank Moss Jul 27, 2005, 10:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi
Can any one help me i have just got hold of a viao pcg-Z1RSP and it wont boot.

Its an old work one and was lying about the office so told i could have it as no one knew what was wrong with it.

I suspect that someone has had the memory away but not sure.
I opoened it up and just under the keyboard i can see a memory slot with nothing in it but is there on-board memory with these laptop (I'm ok with desktop but not laptop) and i cant find a manual for the motherboard or anything.
When i switch it on i hear the hard drive for a few seconds and if i put a cd in that spins ok as if trying to look for it but screen does not light up and also tried and connected to pc screen but no signal there either.

So is it possible that its just a case of getting a stick of ram?

Thanks in advance

Frank

By the way i am in uk

Steve Rudolph Jul 28, 2005, 09:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If anybody has a problem with their dimm slot on their Vaio I can fix it for 100$ plus shipping.

Send me a private message and we can work something out.

Steve.

Brian O'Halloran Jul 29, 2005, 09:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Recently, my wife's Vaio started malfunctioning - it no longer took power from the AC adaptor. After being told by a local repair shop that it would require a motherboard replacement, I sent it to Joe Kabalan to see if it could be repaired. Joe did a wonderful job - he fixed the power problem, and also fixed the DIMM problem before it became yet another malfunction. I highly recommend him - he did a superb job, with a quick turnaround time.

Thanks Joe!

All the best.

Brian O'Halloran

Mel Espy Jul 29, 2005, 04:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think that all of us with Sony Vaio Laptop problems should file a class action lawsuit against Sony. I'm sure that they would finally take us seriously and perhaps learn an important lesson about standing behind their products.

Mike Smith Aug 02, 2005, 11:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
FYI -

Sent my PCG-GRX560 to Joe and he fixed it and turned it around in about a week. Have had it back for about 2 months. I have left it plugged it and running for up to 2 weeks at a time since then, with zero problems.

Before I sent it in, I had used various of the fixes listed here - everything from buying a bigger RAM chip and only using one slot to pressure on the RAM slot. I expeienced constantly degraded performance to the point to when it would boot, it would freeze after a few minutes.

Nice job Joe. Boo hiss to Sony for denying this is a problem.

angry sony user Aug 02, 2005, 04:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have a sony VAIO PCG-Z1VAP, worst laptop ever! constant memory problems, blue screen of death galore, HD crash, i hate this thing! i have never had so many problems with a computer before. this is ridiculous. i will never buy a sony again, they are cheaply made pieces of garbage!

i dont know why i gave up my thinkpad for this thing. i never had a single problem with it!

S D Aug 03, 2005, 12:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello folks -

Appreciate the great insights and data on this thread. I have been relatively satisfied with my PCG-FX370 but in the last year, I have had to 'fennagle' the battery charger port (back of the laptop where the charger plugs into) in order to get a charge going. Suspect the obvious - something is loose with the port. Has anyone taken apart this area and successfully fixed the issue - perhaps resoldering the contact points or replacing this plug. Please advise. Thanks!!

Stefan

Atul Ahuja Aug 03, 2005, 01:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a PCG-NV170 which I bought in 2002 and is now having similar problem. I just don't want the hassle of getting it fixed due to time constraints. So I have decided to sell it cheap to anyone who can take some pains to get it fixed. If anyone intereted let me know. I have original packaging, recovery CD's floppy drive, power adapter and tones of other goodies that came with the package when I bought it.

Jaspal Hayre Aug 03, 2005, 02:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Greetings from the UK !

I have a S150 / PCG-6C2L which I bought off eBay (that'll teach me) a month ago thinking things can't go wrong with a Sony. They have a huge reputation for reliability etc over here.

Well my laptop has stopped booting up. Get the power led etc but wont even display the bootup splash screen.

I have tried removing the second memory Dimm and padding the memory dimms but this has not helped.
I have also tried removing the battery and power adaptor for several hours and trying to bootup but nothing.

I am halfway through a project and desperatly need to get data of the hard drive. Cannot anyone tell me how I can do this ?

If anyone even knows where the hard drive is located in the chasis this would be a help.

This is very urgent.

Thanks in advance
Jas

Martin Clark Aug 04, 2005, 11:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Hi everyone.

I am the unproud owner of a Sony Fx802, which is now dead. I feel as I sit here on this Library machine instead of my own, that I may as well add my tail of woe. I upgraded my machine 256Mb machine to 512 Mb, except it only showed 384Mb, because the dipstick behind the counter ordered the wrong chip, this didnt matter too much, because before long the crap second socket failed anyway, I later replaced the second memory again, which gave me 512 Mb sometimes, in addition to this, my internal CD/RW drive is screwed, so I am using an external one, and another shameful thing Sony did, is only putting USB 1 on their machine, even through the USB 2.0 standard had been out the previous year, which you only discover when you put something like an external CD drive to it. The battery box also broke but I managed to cobble that back together, I stupidly tried to fix the second memory slot myself, because I did an electronics course long time ago, and now I have the most expensive doorstop in the world. I am a UK owner by the way. I think I have shorted out about 10 of the pins on the second memory chip holder, after the dividing bit.

Having read repeated reports of the same, it would appear that Sony are so huge, and so big, that they simply do not care, or feel no fear from reprisals of shipping out shoddy product. People pay over the top, to get the Sony Name on their machine. I bought Sony, despite its price, and despite the model being poor performer in terms of others at times of its release, because magazines said it was "solidly built." And yet the one I had, the top bit with the power on button comes off in my hand, you know, the slidy bit.

If anyone has any ideas how I can get this junk fixed cheapily here in the UK, or a solution for someone who cant afford to chuck Laptops away. I would love to know. All the solutions I have come across seem to be in the U.S which is a lot of good for me in the U.K.

Theres no feeling in the world is like knowing a lot of unbacked up, hard worked upon, long time created, data is now locked up or lost in this plastic piece of junk.

Since I no longer have a PC, and now only have limited unregular library access, replies may take a loooooong time!!!!

itdudeuk

Joe K Aug 04, 2005, 11:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jaspal,

You have a more severe problem than the rest of these folks. Please see:

http://www.aqstech.com/vaio3.html

If you're under warranty use it and send it back to Sony! If not, this may or may not be repairable depending on the amount of damage to the motherboard. If Sony or another shop repairs it, I highly suggest you have a look at this:

http://www.aqstech.com/vaio3a.html

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Martin Clark Aug 05, 2005, 10:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone,

I would like to thank whoever came up with the remove the battery and mains, leave a while before rebooting idea. It worked! I bought some flux from Maplins, (Do you have Tandy stores in the us? We don't have them anymore, but I thought Tandy was the U.K Label for Radio Shack, since it seemed to stock a lot of Radio Shack Stock), and put to use as best my could, my soldering skills. I am not sure which contributed to it rebooting. But I fear I am stuck with a 256 Mb forever machine. I was suprised to find that Word did not come as standard with the machine but since I had not bought a PC before, maybe that is my fault. I was using a Amiga before that, if anyones heard of that. I once tried the Support line whilst still guarentee with a problem I can't remember now, but was probably to do with DVDs not being reconised, decoder software or something, If I called them now I would have to pay 12 for the privaledge. My PC playing dead sure put the fear of lost data into me. I have had endless mysterious system resets, random blue screens and your system has recovered from a serious error etc, another thing that happens, which I think may be due to a weak battery, is, I always finish by going into Stand By, rather than hibernate, if I go into hibernate, I have found it, almost impossible to get a working reboot. I also cannot understand why the Microphone input is only Mono. If that had been stereo, it would save the need for any external sound card, I dont know if you can get a PCMCIA? sound card, for the purposes of external stereo audio input etc. Another clue to Sony's cheapskateness, the manual comes on the system CDs rather than in printed form.Once again, I would like to thank whoever came up with the battery removal idea.

Cheers!

Martin Clark Aug 05, 2005, 11:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Martin Clark

For the person who asked for the pressure on the second ram solution, this is how I know it.

1. Get a piece of A4 or simular, and fold it up. Cut so that you end up with equal size thin strips of paper. And then work out how many you want to put in either side. You may need to experiment with the number, for the exact thickness.

2. Assuming the second socket is empty, (You can take out the memory by applying pressure to both sides of the memory holder at the same time, with a screwdriver or simular, but be careful)

3. Put however many pieces of paper you want in the memory bay, and then insert the memory back in(I would advise washing your hands before doing this, to minimise static which might be fatel to solid state devices), you merely need to make sure the memory module is put back the right way round, making sure it is all the way into the socket, it is impossible to insert it the wrong way round), apply some pressure, and it should snap in. (If it does not snap in, then apply pressure from the top of the module, but not much pressure, to gently lever it in, until it does snap in)

4. Then put the same amount of paper on top of it,(the module - I aimed for where the chips are covered by labels trying to avoid any chip/pcb pind) and put the back on.

5. If you have put enough pieces of paper, enough strips, e.g. enough thickness, and you have re-booted (make sure the machine is off by the way, when you do this operation by the way), if you are lucky, you may find, after your machine perhaps has a bit of trouble resetting, mine did anyway, as it reconises "new" memory, you may get that old style dos system menu come up, which you need to exit out of, if it does, you may find when it eventually reboots, and you check your computer status, by getting Task Manager up, to see how much memory you got, if it has doubled, then you know you got your memory.

This "solution" is indeed only temporary, there is a great, almost certain risk, that you could be working on something important and your PC will suddenly die on you, and go through blue screens, and come up with all sorts of stuff, and re-boot, having lost your work, and come up with a message somewhere along the lines of "Your system has recovered from a serious error". Please contact Microsoft or whatever. I doubt that would be any help.

I do not consider this authorative answer to this. And it probably is an unwise thing to do anyway, but when you've paid for 512 Mb and struggle to do things performance wise, within 256 Mb then maybe its worth a try. As for myself, I am living with the 256 Mb, because ultimately, I prefer reliability and limited performance as opposed to temporary 512 Mb and constant fear of imment system crash!

Had Sony thought not to be so cheapskate to save a few pennies on such an important component, then we would all have been saved a lot of woe.

Tom Pappas Aug 05, 2005, 09:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Before you even THINK about swapping memory modules around
UNPLUG BOTH THE A/C POWER ADAPTER AND THE BATTERY!!!

Squeezing something into the memory compartment for a temporary fix is a bad idea. It puts stresses on parts that weren't designed for them, and can result in an unrepairable mother board.

Don't do it.

The fix will fail sooner or later anyway, so what you should do is to send it to someone who knows how to fix it right. Like us.

Tom Pappas
http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Sam Brown Aug 06, 2005, 09:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
So here's my deal:

About 2 months ago I bought a PCG-GRV670 from its original owner. For $700 he included a great deal of extras (including a gig of RAM), but failed to mention anything about the horrors detailed in this forum. It's possible he didn't have this problem because I was problem-free for the first month of ownership, but for the last month have been sweating bullets over the possible waste of money I may have recently taken on. The symptoms:

I turn my power on to a black screen. Fan is running, but no images appear on the monitor. I follow the only advise I am able to find on Sony's website (which is to paper-clip the reset button, remove all power sources, wait for an hour, then try again). I do this and will get a functioning computer only about a quarter of the time. Worse yet, when it hypernates I can't get it back (without aforementioned process). I read much of these posts and think it could be due to excessive dust (perhaps more than prior owner's place). I shoot the vents up with some condensed air (dust flies out), but the problem persists. Then I read about this whole memory business...which I don't know enough about to experiment with...and this is where I'm at now.

I'm in Seattle and was hoping to avoid sending my computer all the way to New York to get it fixed (although all accounts say that Joe is a black belt at resolving this matter). Are there any local black belts? If not, I'd be happy to get final resolution with a UPS to Joe. Joe: is this fix-job something that is expected to stick, or is it meant to be a temporary fix?

-Sam in Seattle

Eric Maier Aug 07, 2005, 11:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Vaio will get to the Sony splash screen and I can enter the bios to see that it's recognizing all the ram. It won't go any further though.

It's a PCG-FX240

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Hifshon Yasiah Aug 08, 2005, 01:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet for those who think all your drive data is lost. Get a 2.5 usb or firewire enclosure for your laptop drive. At least you have your data.

David Kessler Aug 08, 2005, 01:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does anyone have any experience with the PCMCIA USB2 cards? I have external 80Gb fireware/usb and DVD firewire/usb drives but would like to add something like a little passport drive that's usb only.

I bought a card that had a connection that drew power from one of the existing usb ports on my machine. It clobbered most of the data on my 80Gb drive. I sent it back. I am wondering if an externally powered card would work better (albeit more awkwardly) and if the speed is reasonable.

Anyone have any thoughts?
David

Antoinette Kitchen Aug 09, 2005, 12:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I received this notebook from a friend. The power light comes on but screen is black. The compter gets hot when left on. I hooked up the laptop to my desktop monitor and screen still black. I also hooked up the battery AC dapter and I heard a clicking sound. I have been searching all over the net trying to find inof on how to solve these issues. That is how I came across this site. What could possibly be wrong?

My friend said she went on vacation and forgot to turn it off. Now she doesn't know whats wrong with it. I also would like to upgrade it. I guess I will search the threads for information pertaining to upgrades. Please help me out, I am about to just recylce this laptop. Is there a way to salage it without spending $600+?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.