Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1192 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:34pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Josh J Aug 13, 2005, 01:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
I would recommend Joe K. anyday of the week to fix this problem. It's been nearly a year since I first experianced problems with my GRX, found this forum topic, and sent it in to Joe for repairs. The computer worked better than ever after that. Also, I bought a fan for the base of my laptop to help deal with the overheating, which I'm sure contributed to its longevity and is also highly recommended. No problems with the computer since a year ago. Thanks Joe.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Pauline C Aug 16, 2005, 11:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a PCG-FRV25 and it won't boot! I'm abroad right now and I plugged it in the other night and it was working fine, but last night, I plugged it in and saw the LED light blink indicating that it was charging. I went out of the room to go get something and when I came back, the LED light had gone off. So I tried turning it on, and it won't turn on. I have no idea what's wrong with it. I'm thinking something with the circuitry, but I don't know cause it didn't smell or anything - it just stopped blinking and now it sits there. Anybody have any idea what could have happened?

Erik Gawtry Aug 17, 2005, 03:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a GRV680 that died yesterday. It just flashes the LEDs for 2 seconds, flickers the screen, and clicks the speaker when I turn it on. If I leave the power connected it is then dead. If I remove the power then reconnect, it will flash the LEDs again. The machine was working great, I took it home from work and then it wouldn't run.

Anyone with ideas?

-Erik

Hanka Z Aug 18, 2005, 03:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi to you all.

I was today in workshop for my PCG GRX316 SP which was there to change display and fix some troubles as that it was slow, the CD/DVD driver was damaging with dirty spots discks, new batery etc.

We started and the display was with funny a bit more green color that normaly was. The black color was not too dark. The memory show only 512 RAM and not 512+256 which was before. Ingeneer check it if it is inside which was but we can't start this crazy think again! It was just dead and he send it back to main service in Prague....

Kind regards to all our funclub of Sony Vaio !!!

Hanka

Gary Voigt Aug 19, 2005, 09:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 19, 2005, 09:14am EDT

Well, it looks like I just joined the DIMM Sony group. All of a sudden, my PCG-GRX560 is only showing 128mb ram instead of the usual 512mb, and the problem is definitely the #2 DIMM slot. Fortunately, I bought an extended warrany for this laptop, so I guess 'off it goes". I wish I had know this issue when I bought it. Otherwise, this has been a fantastic laptop. It is absolutely irresponsible for SONY not to issue a recall for this problem when it is obviously wide-spread.

BTW, I am wondering if ths laptop really maxes out at 512mb, or if it can support 2- 512mg sticks. Anyone know?

Colm C Aug 19, 2005, 02:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
Another sick sony customer here,
Sony Vaio Pcg-v505ex, year and a half old,
and its as dead as a door knob!
No lights happening anywhere at any stage.

Worked fine for just over a year(of course), until one day i noticed
that i had to pull the power supply connection in one direction with
a little pressure for it to charge/use the AC. Few weeks later it just
wouldnt switch on, even though the battery was still charged and
there was nothing wrongwith the power supply(test on another vaio).

So, the laptop was left idle for maybe 2 weeks (with battery disconnected),
i decided to open it up, had a look around, didn't notice anything at a glance,
put it back together, AND IT WORKED?!......for a few weeks, still with the
dodgy AC connection.

Died again yesterday.
Not sure if i have maybe more than one problem there.
Any help/advice would be great.
Or if anyone who's in the repair business think that may know
the problem and be able to fix it.
I'm in Ireland, but may be willing to send it away to get it fixed.
Thanks.

Erik Gawtry Aug 19, 2005, 02:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Funny, My laptop wouldn't boot so I took it apart into about 20 peices and put it back together and now it works better than it ever did before! I still have the memory slot problem (it only sees 512MB of the 1024MB of RAM), but I can live with that.

-Erik

Hanka Z Aug 19, 2005, 02:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, find here in the phorum a bit back Joe, he is fixing herro for Sony Vaio ;)

Have a good luck, Hana

Martin Clark Aug 20, 2005, 06:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

My Sony FX802, is still working (as a 256 Mb Machine), and no second slot expansion, but every now and then it suddenly dies, in the middle of something, I wonder if it may be a sign that the hard drive is about to crash/die or the fan or something.

By the way, if any one would be interested in buying a 128 Mb Ram Expansion Sodimm in the UK, please email me, as I dont know what to do with the damn thing. If you would be interested, please visit

http://www.geocities.com/itdudeuk/Sodimm_Sale.html

For full details of this device.

Terry Shuttleworth Aug 22, 2005, 06:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Had the same no-boot problem with my S260

Fixed it by removing the RAM in slot 1 and putting it into slot 2

Thanks to this forum for making me think twice about sending it to Sony

Terry

Daniel Huggins Aug 22, 2005, 09:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 22, 2005, 09:45pm EDT

Tom, Joe (or any other repair guy),

I have a GRV680 w/512MB RAM in SLOT 1 (no RAM in slot 2). I know there seems to be a problem with the second memory module, but it appears that my slot 1 has gone bad. I had problems about a year ago, and replaced the 2x 256MB chips w/ one Kingston 512MB chip in slot 1.

Symptoms are the same. Powers up everytime, but usually has a constant green LED and fans turn. Battery light will flash occasionally. Oddly, every once in awhile (usually after resting for a short time) the machine will boot up normally as if there was no problem...?

I have replaced the RAM and HD in the past, but I am now experiencing these problems. Help...

-Daniel

Mark Weiss Aug 23, 2005, 03:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's been about 6 months since I discovered a memory problem with my GRX560.
Back in March, I re-soldered all the pins on my two SODIMM sockets, to no avail. The machine would boot randomly with either 256 or 512MB RAM detected.

The machine has never crashed, locked up or otherwise malfunctioned while running.

I discovered the memory problem after shutting down the machine and rebooting immediately afterwards.

Over the past several months, I have observed a pattern: The laptop will see ALL the memory when I boot from cold. If the machine is already running and I reboot, it will 'lose' one of the memory sticks.
The detection of memory success/fail appears statistically random upon dozens of reboot attempts.

I'm not even sure if it's the sockets at this point. I'm thinking it's some related chip that's acting up. If it were the RAM, then the laptop would be freezing up while operating, which it has never done. (And thankfully, because I use mine as an audio multitrack recorder with an external FireWire audio interface to record symphony orchestras in conjunction with videotaping. It has been 100% reliable on the job. My problem is strictly one of not detecting all the RAM when warm rebooting.

Joe K Aug 23, 2005, 08:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 23, 2005, 08:44am EDT

Dan,

With the GRX / GRV and GRZ models both slot can go bad. The problem is not isolated to slot 2 as some people believe.

Only with the PCG-FX line is the problem isolated to only one slot on the motherboard. I suggest you use either of our service for repair as long as you get it repaired.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Daniel Huggins Aug 23, 2005, 11:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 23, 2005, 11:18am EDT

Does my problem sound memory related? I am confused by the fact that my Vaio starts on occasion. I can walk in from work and about 1/10 times it will power on normally. The other 90% it just turns on, fans start, and green power LED stays constant with a blank screen.

Let me know if this sounds like it can be fixed...

Daniel Huggins Aug 23, 2005, 05:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
When I lightly tap the keyboard (dorsal to the RAM) it works. Now it boots up everytime, but I figure its one reboot away from failing. Sounds more and more like a RAM problem. I want to sell it on Ebay, but I think it's only right to fix it first. Do both of the repair guys charge the same to fix VAIO's?

Osman Koyuncu Aug 23, 2005, 11:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After reading so many of the posts, I concluded that I am one of the victims of sony's vaio crap. I have a pcg f560 that I have been typing my thesis. I also had the source code of some programs that I have been developing. and walaaaa, one day the thing is dead. just wont boot. I see green power light, I hear the initial bling bling from the hd and also the fan. it looks like my display is dead anybody else had this problem. I guess I will go back and search the messages a little more. also if I wanted to recover the hd how can I do that. if anyone wants to sell his f560 I will be interested, just to swap the hd and recover my data

tx

Terry Shuttleworth Aug 24, 2005, 06:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Can anyone in London fix this ?

Further to my posts above, my Vaio S-series (S260) has the "green light, no boot" problem.

I can make it work it by pressing "up" (ie inverting the machine and pressing down) on the clips that hold the RAM chips. But it's not a reliable solution (and I can't type with my finger pressing up on the bottom of the machine all the time)

I'm not terribly keen to pay to ship it to the US unless I have to (in which case, it's going to Joe at aqstech).

Can anyone in London (or elsewhere in the UK) fix it ?

Please help ! :o)

And while I'm here, let me add that Sony are worse than no help. They wanted 53 just to take a look at it without doing any work !! This is the last Vaio I'll be owning...

Joe K Aug 24, 2005, 07:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dan,

You may very well have a RAM slot problem. We charge $149 + shipping for the repair. I think Tom charges the same if I'm not mistaken..

Joe Kabalan
Joe K Aug 24, 2005, 07:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Terry,

You don't have a memory slot problem. Your issue is much more severe, I'm not sure anyone in the UK can repair it. It may not be repairable at all until I see the damage on / diagnose the board.

Please see:

http://www.aqstech.com/vaio3.html

Joe Kabalan
Hanka Z Aug 24, 2005, 08:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
as I told, the VAIO GRX316PCG collaps when I came to repair shop and they were checking RAM slots, because it show only 512 and not 512+256RAM. Now I have message from Getronics that they found a trouble inside - I didn't understand if on motherboard or at holder of the slots??? That there is something broken.... Anywhere. It's my fold, I must pay another repair and they offer to send it in another repairshop on opossite side of our country. I think that there is trouble and they don't like to do quarantee for repairing...

Joe, if you broke something are you charging customers for it? ;) uuuu unbelieving!!!! Don't you think??? After one month I will go away on oppssite side of World and the notebook shouldn't be fix.

Trully, I don't like Sony!!!!

Hanka

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.