Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 697 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:23am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Hanka Z Aug 24, 2005, 11:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
NEW NEWS

I will have new board... If I know this news about trouble with it before they put in the display should be better to buy new notebook - non Sony Vaio, ofcourse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe, I am just wonder that they put in the mother board for GRX serie with the some syndroms... Have you, please, any recommendation? :S

Thank you, Hanka

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Brian Tomlin Aug 24, 2005, 12:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,
I have a PCG-GRT170 and last night the screen went black on me. It appeared to be running but I could just barely see any images on the screen. This morning I booted the laptop and was able to log on, but the screen was very dark. I rebooted it and now it is completely black again.
Does this sound like the memory slot problem or could this be a problem with the back light?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

Donald Phillips Aug 26, 2005, 07:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 26, 2005, 07:28pm EDT

>> Solution for Sony Laptop VAIO Not Booting Up
Hello everyone,

While I have read much on this subject about the problem it appears now not to be a mfg problem such as other implied of SO-DIMMS slots not properly soldered or those mysterious tooth fairies who all of a sudden made you memory defective when unit had been working fine over months.

Of most complaints, it was noted many users PC operated fine up until at least 12 months then it would not boot up at all. Here is your smoking gun and it's really stupid and can hardly believe it myself as I just repaired one for someone if you can call it repairing.

On the bottom of the laptop there are some access covers which can gain entry to various devices on the laptop, hardrive, SO-DIMMS, BIOS battery.

Located the SO-DIMMS access cover, remove it. **DO NOT TOUCH THE CONTENTS INSIDE THE LAPTOP AFTER THE COVER HAS BEEN REMOVED WITHOUT BEING GROUNDED OR YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY HAVE A STATIC CHARGE ON YOU AND PERMANENTLY DAMAGE THE COMPONENTS**. If you don't know what this means then don't take the cover off and find a friend who knows about computers and follow these instructions.

You can safely remove the access cover and work on it. Note on the back side is a black coating on the cover surrounded by a metalic plating. This black coating is to protect the SO-DIMMS protected from Electro Magnetic Interference and Radio Frequency Interference. Note on the corners around the ends inside of this access cover there are bend over prongs, THESE ARE IMPORTANT. They actually complete a circuit to power supply being ran to the memory you are looking at and your computer must have to operate.

The problem appears to be a design defect, over time, these prongs become worn thru temperature change (like leaving the laptop in the car and bringing into somewhere cool, metal expanding and contracting.) Over time these contacts will not make the connection. It appears the engineers at Sony designed this feature of putting a switch on the access panel to ensure the memory would be protected and if the cover was not on then no power would be ran to the memory or (SO-DIMMS). What they failed to consider is the metal being used for the contact becoming fatigued over time thru temperature changes.

To fix this CAREFULLY bend the prongs on the access panel to where they appear to be pushed up as high they can WITHOUT BREAKING THEM. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this problem. Make sure the contacts on the access cover are touching the contacts inside the laptop. This connection is essentional for you memory so it is indeed very important.

From that point on your computer will go thru all the normal processes it went thru before, POST, Bios, then loading the operating system.

I had the system up in 5 minutes after a physical examination, unfortunately I spend 3 hours reading all of these postings on this site.

This solution works and has been proven to work.

Remember its not a manufactoring defect but a design one. A defect which can be easily maintained.
I have this posting set up to my email account so I can assist any who are pursuing the holy grail of getting
their Sony Laptops to boot up.

Good Luck to All.

Joe K Aug 27, 2005, 08:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Hanka,

It depends on if the replacement motherboard has had the memory slots repaired or not. It depends on where they got the replacement board from.

You may or may not have this same problem later down the road in the future. We'll have to wait and see. If they didn't have the ability to repair the memory slots the correct way, then a motherboard replacement was their only option.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Raji Venkataraman Aug 28, 2005, 08:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony Vaio
My Vaio doesnt boot and everytime I try to switch it on I see a blank screen, but the CD/DVD drive works. An engineer reckons it would cost me £250 to replace a chip on the motherboard detecting power but I think its too expensive. Please help me.

David Kessler Aug 28, 2005, 01:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am putting in another plug for Joe Kabalan.

A few months ago, he fixed the dreaded memory slot problem on my PCG-GRX560. That's still working fine.

Unfortunately, my machine recently started showing evidence of another of the problems -- the dreaded failing backlight problem. (The monitor would come up with a pinkish cast.) Joe suggested (on this forum) running with it until it failed. But since I was going to be coming home by car to Boston from a trip to Detroit and because Tonawanda (where he is located) is close to the route I was taking and also located almost halfway between Detroit and Boston, I figured that I could just send him the machine and pick it up on the way home (if he would let me do that after hours on Friday or on Saturday).

Joe told me that he would be happy to open his store on Saturday morning for me to get my repaired machine. I picked it up yesterday and the screen is great. And once again, the charge for the repair was very reasonable ($79).

It was nice meeting Joe too. I heartily recommend Joe Kabalan and encourage you to let him fixed your machine rather than living with the grief of intermittent (or no) booting or a failing screen. He does what he says he will do and his prices are very reasonable. ...and he's a nice guy.

Now I just have the third and last dreaded Sony defect -- the power connection defect to worry about. But Joe checked that and told me that it looked fine, and that I should just be careful.

Thanks again for the help, Joe.

David Kessler

T bot Aug 28, 2005, 09:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yesterday I went to turn on my laptop and was greeted with the message "operating system not found". I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FXA47. I tried to start the computer with the system recovery CD, but all I received was a message stating "Cannot find hard drive. Confirm if hard drive is correctly connected." I came across this forum after searching on the internet for possible solutions. It seems as if many people have experienced this problem as well, due to a malfunctioning #2 RAM slot. I have just the factory installed 128MB of RAM. Does this problem apply to my case as well? Please respond and let me know, and when I get it fixed I can give the techs a heads-up. Or, if the problem can be fixed at home, please tips on how to do so. THANKS to anyone who assists with this. (FYI- I am in the Toronto, Canada area, can anyone suggest a good place to get a computer fixed?)

Alex Park Sep 01, 2005, 09:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe K

I have quick question. I have GRX 550 with damaged dimm slot. I broke it up. Is it possible to replace motherboard. If so, I can send it to you right away. Also, please advise how much should I pay for. I thank you for your cooperation in advance.

Naga Kris Sep 01, 2005, 09:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Osman,

You can take out your harddrive and use an ide adapter or harddrive enclosure and backup ur data.
good luck.

naga

Osman Koyuncu Aug 23, 2005, 11:22 PM Message - Profile - Add Buddy - Alert Moderators

Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
After reading so many of the posts, I concluded that I am one of the victims of sony's vaio crap. I have a pcg f560 that I have been typing my thesis. I also had the source code of some programs that I have been developing. and walaaaa, one day the thing is dead. just wont boot. I see green power light, I hear the initial bling bling from the hd and also the fan. it looks like my display is dead anybody else had this problem. I guess I will go back and search the messages a little more. also if I wanted to recover the hd how can I do that. if anyone wants to sell his f560 I will be interested, just to swap the hd and recover my data

tx

Naga Kris Sep 01, 2005, 10:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
my vaio problem: i dont have a clue on whats happening.
my usb doesn't work, cd-rom/dvd dont work and moreover i lost it somewhere, so not able to check whether it will work or not.
Took my harddrive into another laptop, formated with windows 98. copied 98 to my harddrive and moved back to my vaio. Booted my vaio, boots fine, went into c:\ prompt, ran setup.exe for windows 98. Installation went successful, computer needs to restart.
This is where the problem is, i get a blank screen and nothing happens. I tried disabling the cd-rom and removable devices in my bios, doesnot help.
Any suggestions welcome.

Naga

J C Sep 01, 2005, 11:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
First everyone should just know that we ara all spinning our wheels on this. Can't we see that Sony laptops are simply defective junk? Everyone should demand their money back, even if it's after the warranty has
expired.

Read below to see is how I got Sony to pay me back for half the price of my Sony PCG NV-170 after the 2-year warranty expired.

I had the "crash upon start up problem" with my Sony PCG NV-170. The problem got worse over time. Finally a few months after the warranty expired the computer just stopped working.

It's not a "memory slot" issue or "hard drive" issue, as discussed on this web site. It's just a junky SONY computer- bottom line.

As consumers who spend our hard earned money on such items it's time to start telling these faceless mega corporations that we are tired of being screwed over with bad products, bad "customer service", bad so called "tech support" and worthless warranty and warranty extension programs!

I contacted Sony tech support and they wanted me to pay their approximate $300 fee just to look at it! I refused on the grounds that the computer should simply last more than two years regardless of their warranty policy. When I told Sony that I would not pay for any repairs, Sony tech said that I would have to contact HOWARD STRINGER who is Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Sony Corporation of America and head of the Sony Customer Relations Dept (http://www.sony.com/SCA/bios/stringer.shtml).

Sony tech only gave me HOWARD STRINGER's mailing address (see below) and told me I would have to write him about my faulty Sony PCG NV-170. I wrote him a letter demanding my money back for this faulty Sony PCG NV-170. Also, with a few phone calls to Sony using information Sony sent me, I was able to get HOWARD STRINGER's direct office line and talk to HOWARD STRINGER's Secretary.

NOTE that after I wrote HOWARD STRINGER, the SONY "advanced customer care" had me send my computer to the SONY repair department 3 times: the first time they replaced the MEMORY SLOTS and did some "repairs" to the MOTHERBOARD, when I got it back, the first boot up it crashed!

I sent it back a second time and SONY then replaced the HARD DRIVE. After about a week from getting it back this second time, the computer began crashing again! So I sent it back the third time and told them to keep it!

After several phone calls to HOWARD STRINGER demanding help with my faulty Sony PCG NV-170, my case was transferred to the Sony Legal Dept. The Sony Legal Department agreed that I had been sold a faulty Sony PCG NV-170 and sent me a check for approximately $1,100, which was about half of what I paid for the laptop. It was not full payment as I wished, but at least it was something. Also note that even if there were a 5-year warranty on the computer it wouldn’t have mattered because SONY can't even fix their own computer! The SONY computer is junk.

Demand to talk to HOWARD STRINGER and if HOWARD STRINGER's office tries to transfer you to their "advanced customer care" refuse or call back. I let the advanced customer care give me the run-around three times before I demanded better service and was then transferred to the Sony Legal Dept.

For so many people with the same problem we should organize a class action against SONY for this.

HOWARD STRINGER:

Sony Corporation of America
550 Madison Ave
New York, New York

Office line: 1-239-768-7507

SONY legal Dept: Phone 1-201-476-8546
Fax 1-201-930-7901

Joe K Sep 04, 2005, 10:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Alex,

The problem with replacing the motherboard is that you'll more than likely replace it with a used board. New board prices are a little high.

Taking into consideration that you'll be searching for a replacement used board, you have a very good chance of buying a board that may have these same problems in the future.

I would imagine that used GRX boards now are selling in the range of $150 to $250 or so (on eBay and such) But keep in mind, hopefully the seller is honest and the board works and if it works now, how long will it last before these same problems surface.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Tom M'Guinn Sep 05, 2005, 04:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does anyone know if the new Sony Vaio's still have these types of problems?

sharan rangarajan Sep 07, 2005, 03:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop Hardisk trouble
my vaio GRT-240G crashed and wont boot. i got the hard drive health tool from hitachi website and tested my hard disk which confirmed a physical error in the hardisk. i cant be formatted or used.
i am not sure of the exact reson for this failure but i suspect that a small dedicated fan for the hardisk in not working and causing the disk to heatup too much. though i am not able to verify it.

Any suggestions ???? i dont want to put in a new disk right away cause it might fail too..
how do i go about this problem

PLEASE help me out !!!
in case you need i can send you the picture of the component i am talking about.

thanks
sharan

andi z Sep 08, 2005, 07:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Urgent:

I need someone with a Sony PCG FRV25, 26 or 27 to go to the Sony Support Website, download the
Bios from the Original Files Section, run the executable and after installing send me the 512 KB Bios file to my e-mail.

(PLZ DON'T FLASH YOUR BIOS ACCIDENTALLY!! :) )

Best regards and thanks so much in advance!
Andi Z.

Kenny D Sep 12, 2005, 03:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 12, 2005, 03:51am EDT

I love how people (within the last couple of pages) mention "We should get a class-action suit against Sony" Hello??? Have you not read any of the previous fifty-something pages? And there is a petition already too. I only know because I'm signature 5. I feel like one of the founding fathers of the petiotion or something. At least it seems like I signed it so long ago. I'm not really sure what it got me though. Perhaps just evidence of how long ago this problem occured for me.

David Kessler Sep 12, 2005, 10:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have added my name to the class action suit. (I think I was #1142.) The petition was so poorly written that I didn't add my name. I don't remember where it was located though.
David

Hanka Z Sep 12, 2005, 02:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for your words. I still waiting for new board... I let you know what happen when I obtain it:)

lori sklar Sep 15, 2005, 09:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you own a Sony Vaio that will not power up or boot, you can contact sklarlaw@aol.com to participate in our pending investigation regarding these issues.

Hanka Z Sep 16, 2005, 07:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Hi Joe and all members of our sad Sony VAIO fun club!

Short info about my membership experience:

After 3 months and replacement of display and motherboard at second step is my computer back from service (Getronics). It took a bit longer time and I pay approx. 2.000 US$ for this fun... If I know that after replacement will collapse the motherboard just in time, when I was in service to took it back, to this all that it will take too much time, I wouldn't offer the repair!!!!!!!!!

The properties show me PCG GRX316MP/316SP (special series, don't you think?) and 768RAM.

But I am without control of voice or monitor contrast :( They told me, that all the system collapsed and I must save all data and reinstall the system. A bit big job...

It started last year, when it came from workshop where diagnostic system is and they try to fix motherboard and they changed one of memory slots from 256RAM to 512RAM. I am not sure if was possible to control the display, because the monitor collapsed just day after I came from this workshop. I was before overseas trip, where I was using external monitor. But I know that didn't work fax modem, drivers were gone as well (didn't work slot for memory stick card, I was in trouble with external mouse etc.) and internal printers were not working as well. I can't run to bios on external monitor, in save mode wasn't working as well. Simply a lot of troubles...

But, I am still optimist and hope it came not again!

All the best to all of you! Hanka

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.