Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 742 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:30am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
matt smalley Sep 16, 2005, 06:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Just a note to say that Joe is the man. He fixed my Vaio and returned it to me within ten days. It's worked perfectly since then.

Thanks Joe, it was worth every penny.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tom Bouras Sep 20, 2005, 05:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I own Vaio laptop PCG-GRV616S and would like to buy the memory slot socket, does anybody know where I can get one?

Thanks.
Tom

Tom Pappas Sep 22, 2005, 07:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 27, 2005, 11:46am EST

>> Memory sockets
I have 200-pin SODIMM sockets (left and right) for $20 each + $3.85 per order shipping.

Tom Pappas
http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Chris L Sep 23, 2005, 10:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony Vaio not charging battery but works on battery
OK... I have Sony Vaio GRX550. I made a clean-install using Vaio Recovery Disks and then upgraded Win XP to SP2 without the battery installed. After I bought a battery, it work100% on my other Vaio laptop. But when I put this battery (same model for GRX - BP2NX), I don't see the battery light blinking on the laptop nor see any battery present on th power scheme and no indicator from windows power taskbar that it's charging. Since the battery got enough charge from the other laptop, I unplugged the AC, turned on the computer and went on normal, boot to Windows but still no battery light indicator. Also the wierd part is, the laptop is running as if it was on an AC. No battery indicator from the power scheme nor battery is present.

Any help of what is going on.

David Kessler Sep 23, 2005, 10:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Chris L,
DON'T EVER GET RID OF THAT MACHINE!

You have one of those rare machine and battery combinations that draw electrical power from the air. In the past, this has sometimes been attributed to gremlins. But actually this rare phenomenon actually has its origins in the same philosophical underpinnings as homeopathy. Where you once had a supply of electrical power flowing into the machine through the battery, the machine and battery actually continue to think that the electrons are continuing to flow even after the wire that had conducted the juice has been removed.

The researchers who worked on cold fusion also explored this phenomenon but were unable to achieve repeatable results.

I hope everyone will forgive me for dropping into humor, but there has not been a single joke post on this thread since I've been following it (about a year) and I thought it needed it. :-)

David

Brad T Sep 23, 2005, 04:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Accessing memory chips
I have a Sony PCG GRX 560 that will not boot up and it appears that it is suffering from the same problems with the memory chips that has been described many times in this forum. I would like to try to see if I could get it to work by removing one of the chips as has also been described in this forum. Could someone tell me how I access the ram chips. Do I need to remove the entire case or can they be accessed through one of the access panels on the bottom? Thanks.

Radu Fericean Sep 25, 2005, 03:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, I have GRX-500P

After I observed that my laptop does not 'see' all 512Mb ram I started to browse the net for a solution and I found the 'pressure' one. I have used some folded paper too push on the the second RAM (the one near the back) and it worked for some 6 month (I had all may 512Mb available). After a while the computer did not boot so I thought that my second slot or RAM is bad so I removed it completly. Something quite strange was that second 256 RAM was not working in my first slot so I thought it is dameged. Anyhow I thought that the second slot is bad and it burned the 256 RAM.

For another 6 months the laptop runned with the 256 from the first slot till it stopped booting. I applied began to applay the pressure for the first slot when I saw that the old 256 RAM that I previously discared as bad is working too if I put it in the first slot and apply some pressure on it.

What I realize now is that that if I continue like this the pressure that I have to apply must constantly increase and the laptop will never be stable because any movement can create a short break in the fine contacts and freeze the OS.

Considering that I am from Romania and I don't know about any service arround, can anybody provide me with a solution for my problem?
Do you know any site with some screen shots for a do it yourself solution?

Thanks,
Radu

Jeremy Cribb Sep 25, 2005, 08:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi folks. I have a Sony Vaio PCG-GRX670 laptop. I had similar issues regarding the "sudden power off" problem about a year ago. I didn't do any research online (shame on me) but thought the issue was related to heat. I took my memory out, cleaned it, reseated it, took the laptop apart and cleaned the fans, etc. to make sure that the thing wasn't overheating. The laptop worked for an additional year.

Two months ago, I started seeing the problem again. I've just now started researching the problem and all I can say is wow. WOW. I'm flummoxed as to how pervasive this problem is. I tried the "structurally reinforce the memory" solution and it has worked for about 2 days. Notice that worked is in past tense. I will probably continue hacking on it, but i am not hopeful.

I called Sony and they told me that because my warrenty had long since expired, it was going to cost me ~20 bucks just to have them tell me that I would have to pay to ship it to them and that repairs would cost several hundred dollars. I am a grad student. I do not have the money to do this. I am more than a little miffed.

My question is this: Is there still Class Action activity going on out there? If so, I would very much like to add my voice to the chorus. I read the first 5 or 6 pages of this thread, but there are over 60 pages to it now! I don't have the time to read it all. I can say that I will never buy another Sony product if I can help it.

Thanks for your help,
- Jeremy

Jeremy Cribb Sep 25, 2005, 08:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Nevermind, folks. As always, five minutes after posting my question I found the information I was looking for.

- Jeremy

Darren name Sep 26, 2005, 05:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
PCG-FX210

It was serviced a couple of years ago. I don't know the details because it was my parents. About 3 months ago my father started having problems again. Error messages freezing and then not booting.

I have it now and when I first got it didn't boot...only the lights would flicker and I hear a noise as if the harddrive wanted to start but never did. I decided to take it apart....after lifting the keyboard I decided to push the on button and it start to boot! WOW, what did I do? My excitedment didn't last long. About 5 minutes it started clicking and then screen went blank and frooze.

My guess it's overheating? but what's overheating...the proccessor or HD? Anyone know if this is fixable and if I can fix it? What's the clicking noise?

Any help would be appriciated.

Tom Pappas Sep 26, 2005, 05:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Clicking noises = bad news (usually)
When a hard drive encounters a problem reading data, it informs the operating system. The OS typically sends a "recalibrate" command to the drive to move the access arm to a known physical position (Cylinder 0). From here, the arm is again moved to where the data is supposed to be, and another attempt to read it is made. If the track the data is on is defective, the above process is repeated.

Constant "clicking" is the sound of the arm being moved back and forth in a vain effort to recover the desired sector of data. It almost always means one of two things:

The drive is fried, and no data will ever be recovered from that spot, or
The recorded data got temporarily messed up somehow, and re-installing everything will fix it.

The first thing I would do is to remove the drive and plug it into a desktop system to isolate the symptom. If it's okay, then the data-reading problem is in the laptop.

Good luck.

Tom

Jake T Sep 26, 2005, 07:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Can some one take a picture of that RAM problem, i want to see what it looks like and compare it to each other. Basically all these problems link to overheating, you should all consider getting a colling pad.

Tom Pappas Sep 27, 2005, 10:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Visualizing the defect
Can some one take a picture of that RAM problem, i want to see what it looks like

>> The symptom is a blank screen. The actual intermittent/open contact on the SODIMM socket can't be seen.

and compare it to each other.

>> I don't think a comparison would be particularly useful - what did you have in mind?

Basically all these problems link to overheating, you should all consider getting a colling pad.

>> Laptops are intended to be portable. Carrying a refrigeration system around sort of defeats the purpose.

Jake T Sep 27, 2005, 05:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Its not that big and when you have a laptop that keeps failing you priority and purpose change too.

Al least it keeps your ram cool
http://www.usrbingeek.com/gallery/coolerpad/IMGP0269

Alex Syme Sep 28, 2005, 05:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT796SP. I turn it on ant it starts running through the startup process as normal but once it gets to the part with the MS Windows XP scrolling bar screen it cuts out and starts the process again. It is continuing to do this even when trying to boot into safe mode or the command prompt. Does anyone know any fixes?

Thanks

Alex

Chris L Sep 28, 2005, 07:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>>In a message dated 9/26/2005, Tom Pappas writes:

>>Basically all these problems link to overheating, you should all consider getting a colling pad.

>>>>Laptops are intended to be portable. Carrying a refrigeration system around sort of defeats the purpose.

It can still be be "portable" to carry a laptop that is connected to a cooling system (like KOOLANCE EXOS)that is carried behind your back.

David Kessler Sep 28, 2005, 01:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got a cooling pad -- it was only $30 so it seemed worth it if it helped. It's not clear to me that it helps much. For one thing, the pad wants to suck air in from the top and out the bottom. The computer wants to suck air in the bottom and out the back. So while the cooling pad is probably bringing ambient tempurature air under the computer, it's also got 2 more powerful fans that are stronger than the little fan in my laptop. The laptop is trying to pull air in the other direction so the fans seem like they're fighting with each other.

That said, the compromise I have is that when I'm home using my machine (and the machine is on my desk), it sits on the cooling pad. When I go somewhere with my machine, I don't take the pad. Even if the pad worked fabulously (as opposed to a little), I cannot believe that sometimes using the machine without the pad would really harm it.

Paulo Gomes Sep 28, 2005, 01:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello fellow vaio laptop owners:

My trouble with my two year old vaio pcg-grz660 started some months ago with it shuting down due to overheating. The cooling fan seemed a hairdryer with all the noise and heat. The solution found in the internet, since sony "customer support" did not help, was to use a can of compressed air into te cooling vents of the unit (shuted down and disconnected of course), result: a lot of dust coming out, and when rebooted the problem was solved, fan running smoothly and no autoshutdown. Now I must repeat the process once every month or so.

Recent trouble with it was the memory slot problem. Only half of the 512MB recognized. Tried every position possibleof the two and only one memory unit and concluded it was a faulty memory slot. Solved it pushing down a little on the metal edges of the slot, the ones under the plastic pieces that lock the memory when inserted, that seemed to improve electric contact and now I am getting all 512MB recognized.
Anyway I don't need this kind of trouble. SONY never again.

Greetings

Paul Randall Sep 28, 2005, 02:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
FX310 - purchased new in 2002
I guess I have the standard memory problem. I have two 128 Mb memory

modules. The computer reports 128 megs whether one memory module is

installed in the frontmost socket or both memory modules are installed. The computer boots properly if either memory module is in the frontmost socket but does not boot if only the rear socket is filled. I guess

I will live with this problem.

A few days ago the screen went blank while I was using the computer.

I soon found that the screen display is fine with the screen

positioned at 90 degrees or less to the keyboard. When pushed back

to 120 degrees or beyond, the screen goes blank but the backlight

remains on.

I have upgraded the hard drive twice in the past year, without

incident both times, so I felt confident enough to open the computer

to investigate. I wiggled the cable running from the motherboard up

through the left plastic hinge conver into the lower edge of the

screen toward the indicator lights for power, batteries, hard drive

activity, etc. Wiggling near the motherboard connector has no

effect. I removed the left plastic hinge cover and pulled gently where the cable goes toward the indicator lights. While pulling gently, the screen displays properly even if laid all the way back. While pushing gently on the cable, the screen is blank in any position.

I've never opened up a laptop screen. I assume I can pry out the four plastic upper and lower screw covers and remove the screws and lift off the bezel. Then what? Does the latching mechanism fly apart? What should I look for that might be causing my problem?

I would appreciate any help or advice.

-Paul

Tom Pappas Sep 28, 2005, 04:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Disassembling LCD
The latch is captive, so don't worry about that.

After you've removed the rubber plugs and the screws under them, the "front" of the bezel (the part that surrounds the screen) snaps out. It helps to apply a little pressure on its edge towards the center of the screen, since the front part snaps into the back. Don't use anything metal to pry apart the layers; I suggest a popsicle stick or similar wooden wedge. A metal tool will inevitably leave a ding in the plastic.

Your problem can probably be solved by replacing the LCD cable, since the symptom responds to positional changes. This is consistent with an intermittent connection inside it.

Tom

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.