Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1139 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:40pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Paul Randall Sep 29, 2005, 06:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Tom,
Thank you so much for the info about getting into the FX310 screen. I was able to open it up without leaving any marks.

The cable seems pinched between the LCD and the case. After looking at it, I decided it was safe to power up the laptop with the bezel off. Let me know if that was a dangerous thing :-) I poked and prodded and lifted the cable while moving the screen back and forth, hoping to see how the cable is stressed when it fails. I was hoping to find a way to insert something that would keep pressure in some spot so it would always work. About the time I was going to give up, it started working in all screen positions with nothing inserted. Hopefully it will work for a few months.

What do you use to hold the rubber pads in place? Double sided tape?

Thanks again.

-Paul

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tom Pappas Sep 29, 2005, 09:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A little dab of GE Silicone Sealant.

Good Job!

Gary Voigt Sep 30, 2005, 12:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop memory
Well, not only did the 2nd DIMM go out, but only about 2 weeks later, only 3 days before I was going out of the USA for a couple of weeks, the 1st DIMM slot died as well. Fortunately for me, I was able to find by calling a local computer repair shop another local guy who they referred me to who is the electronics repair guru type. He resoldered every single DIMM pin in about one hour and only charged me $70. Everything works great now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Vlad Sorkin Oct 01, 2005, 01:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
heres my story...
so... earlier today i traded my ibook G3 for a PCG-GRX500 thinking it will be a piece of cake project...
guess what? being a soldering guru i jumped in and resoldered all the pins on both ram slots. that had no effect at all whats so ever. pressing down on the sticks of ram proved to be the stupidest idea ever. i get absolutely nothing. the power light comes on, battery charges, fans spin... but the screen remains blank, no light coming from it either. both cpu and ram warm up, meaning they get power. no sounds or blinking led suggest there is no POST routine going on which just blows my mind... did sony not include a POST routine?
anyways thats all i got out of it. frustrated i went further and attempted to open it... my hands are all swollen from pushing on my little watch screwdrivers trying to open it... finally i managed to lift off the top speaker/power button panel off, and then the keyboard.
inside i found more screws that just wont budge. the cpu and chipset do in fact warm up and both fans spin. i found the wire and the connector going to CMOS battery. i disconnected that in hopes that will reset it. no luck there either...
my ram chips tested good on another laptop. bad ram is out of question.
so... ive fixed machines in worse condition before... but sony just blows me away.
any suggestions?
Vlad.

Tom Pappas Oct 01, 2005, 03:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 01, 2005, 03:27pm EDT

>> Pressing down momentarily on the memory socket works in about 70% of the machines we see
It is a good test to see if repairing the sockets will probably fix the machine. It is NOT a good long-term solution, as it induces stresses in the mother board that can eventually crack it or split PC traces.

The principal symptom of a memory socket problem is that when the machine is powered on, the green power light comes on and stays on, and the yellow HDD light flickers once or twice and goes out. This flickering is the POST routine interrogating the hard drive. Then it checks for the amount of memory present. If it can't "see" any memory, it doesn't proceed any further. If your machine blinks in this way, your socket repair was unsuccessful and needs to be re-done.

Sony, in their wisdom, chose not to use coded speaker beeps to indicate a POST failure. You are free to form your own opinion as to why they did so.

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Hifshon Yasiah Oct 03, 2005, 11:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anybody out there got any prices on a full MOBO replacement?

Tom Pappas Oct 03, 2005, 02:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Vaio mother board replacement cost
Prices are all over the map, depending on the model.

If you mean buying a new one from Sony, the answer is almost always "Uneconomical to Repair" (i.e. you can buy a whole new, better, faster computer for the same money as what Sony gets for the part).

You can also often find mobos on eBay, and the prices are strictly market-driven. Low demand = low price.

Tom

jez hammond Oct 04, 2005, 06:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony VGN-A117S
Yup -

Looks like im suffering from the same problem as you guys. My (supposedly) trusted 13month old 17" 1500 laptop had decided to do the no-boot thing: Just flashes the drive lights and no screen appears.

From looking at these posts it appears that its the RAM slot issue.

I live in the mIdlands in the Uk and need this sorting quick really.

Anyone local to me who can help?

Ive sent a couple of emails to the people on this forum who appear to be able to help so I'll se what shipping will be and whether I can get it done more cost effectively.

This really is a pain in the ass.

Anyone help?

Jez

Dave Tripp Oct 06, 2005, 09:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi

I am posting to thank Joe K for fixing my Sony Vaio laptop and to also relate the very professional experience I had while dealing with Joe - I don't know Joe, I am just glad he could fix my $2,300 laptop for $149 that Sony quoted $700 to fix (new mboard)

I had all the usual problems: 1) it would boot sporadically and also ran very hot 2) stopped booting (would just run the fan) 3) discovered this forum and was able to boot for a few months by holding down a memory chip 4) then it stopped altogether and I sent it to Joe K. He was prompt, fixed it for the price quoted and the whole process took a week (which included sending it from Philadelphia to Tonawanda and back).

Thanks again Joe, the laptop is running great. His contact information is below.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Regards,
Dave Tripp

Max K Oct 06, 2005, 10:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
To Vlad: I guess you just did not completely resoldered slots. You need to apply some liquid flux on the contacts before soldering them. Also check if you shorted two pins. Sometimes I have to repeat soldering of the socket if it does not work.
If you are 100% sure that it is not the memory problem than you would need a special device to show you the post procedure and the code it hangs on... You may also try just to replace the processor and see what it gives you. But again - I am 99% sure that you just need to resolder your slots again.

--
Send me a private message if you need your laptop repaired! Low prices, high quality!
Elias Eliadis Oct 07, 2005, 03:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The problem can be found at the memory slots.It's a defect that Sony simply does not recognize.An easy way to have your VAIO up and going again ,is to apply pressure on the slot...NOT ON THE MEMORY CHIP! Take a little piece of aluminum foil(wrap-paper),easily found in your kitchen! Keep folding it until it's thick enough,place it on the memory slot(left or right edge,it doesn't matter) and screw the cover back.You may have to try a few times to find the right position or thickness but it will certainly work.As long as the aluminum isn't in contact with the memory chip,you won't have any problems such as overheating.

Tom Pappas Oct 07, 2005, 07:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 07, 2005, 07:29pm EDT

>> DON'T DO IT ! ! !
Pressing down on the memory sockets will set up stresses in the mother board that will either CRACK IT or BREAK PC TRACES. Then the board will be damaged beyond repair.

There is only one CORRECT way to solve the memory issue, and that is to have the sockets repaired.

Tom

Angela Lloyd Oct 07, 2005, 08:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: used wrong recovery disk for sony product
Could any one help, ive got a sony notebook, i ve gone and used the wrong recovery disk in the product, please could anyone help, and possibly send me a recovery, much appreciated thanks
Angela

John mark Oct 07, 2005, 09:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
you guys are all great, after spending LOTS OF TIME (more than 2 months now) struggling with the same problem with my Vaio PCG-NV170 with no avail I finally came across this forum. I almost tried everything reseating/replacing memories, cleaning the slots and the memory module itself, pushing them down with a peiece of hard paper and the cover. the last solution worked for me for about 3 weeks and then fails and I think it destroyed the ram chip as well as it does not work neither in slot #2 nor #1 (the sound slot). now the problem became worse as slot # 1 also start to fails which mean I have to push the ram in to work, so I am expecting a complete faliure of the system within almost 3 weeks from now. I don't know what to do, I use this laptop for my work. so if anyone manage to solve this issue completely please update the forum.

Thank you for your help

Rickey

Michael Heid Oct 07, 2005, 09:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

I am posting a thank you to Tom Pappas for fixing my Viao GRX-560.

I had the typical intermittent boot-up problem for several Months. With every Month that passed it became harder to boot (from 3 to 20 trys). Till one day the laptop just would not boot.

I e-mailed Tom to confirm the problem, followed his instruction that are on his web site, shipped it out and presto I get my laptop back a week later in purrrrrfect working condition...it really purrs.

Thanks!

Michael

Hanka Z Oct 08, 2005, 12:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Angela, may be a good idea to say which type of Vaio notebook you own... :) which serie

Tom Pappas Oct 08, 2005, 06:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Vaio System Recovery
Angela, just borrow a CD of the Windows operating system that's the same version (98, XP Home, whatever) that's on the Microsoft sticker on the bottom of your computer. It doesn't have to be the Sony version.

Install it as normally, entering the Product Key on that sticker when the installation asks for it. This is perfectly legal, since the license fee was paid when the computer was manufactured.

You might have to download drivers specific to your model from the Sony web site. But you probably won't.

Tom

Darren name Oct 08, 2005, 08:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 08, 2005, 08:05pm EDT

Tom,

I have a fx-210 that I'm really considering sending to you. when I finally get it to boot it will shut down (screen goes blank) 10 - 30 minutes depending on the temp. now that the weather is cooler it seems to stay booted longer. Is it most likely the ram issue and have you repaired any fx-210s for the ram problem?

Max K Oct 09, 2005, 04:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It seems like an overheating problem - you need to clean the cooling system and apply new thermal compound on the processor. It will help.

And to everyone else - There is not only Tom who can help you quickly fix your problems with memory slots and all other problems with your laptops (not only Sony VAIO) ;)

--
Send me a private message if you need your laptop repaired! Low prices, high quality!
Nick Lamon Oct 10, 2005, 09:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Sony Vaio S260's LCD is doing some weird stuff. I have a similar story to many here but with a twist. My Vaio went into standy one day, and when I went to turn it on again, half the screen was missing! It was real smeary looking. After about 30sec-1minute the screen starts to flicker and then the screen comes on and stays on and seems to work fine. But everytime the monitor goes off, or if it goes into standy/hibernate, or sometimes even if the screen saver comes on, the screen is first missing and then goes through this series of flickers and finally comes on.

I returned my laptop for repairs, and they replaced the mother board (it's still under warranty for 1 more month). The day I got it back I was so excited. I opened up my Vaio and guess what? Half the screen was missing! And then it finally smeared away!

So I was wondering: Is the problem with the LCD? Is it the drivers? What's up? I'm so not privy with technical stuff. I read a bunch of peoples problems, but I didn't find someone with my similar problem.

I'm planning on sending my Vaio back to Sony again ( i just called before I found this site) but to say the least I'm frustrated. I do think Sony is working on its customer service though. They've been very nice.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.