Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1141 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:02am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Prentiss Danyluk Oct 31, 2005, 04:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Oct 31, 2005, 04:22am EST

>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Joe or Tom,

I've had several issues with my PCG-GRX520. First, the LCD died but I could view everything with my 17" CRT Dell display. Originally bought in summer of 2002 and bought the 2 year extended warranty. Shipped it off to third party warranty place and they sent it to the Toronto region where all other lemon's go to be analyzed or buried. Came back with a functional but flawed display. Bright hotspots now visible with darker backgrounds, more dead pixels than the 5 or 6 I had previously, etc. Not great but I could live with it. Now it something altogether different. My brother had the NV170 with the subwoofer, etc. His IT guy visited this thread and diagnosed the memory problem. The other day, my humble behemoth was making a weird but intermittent, light saber-ish sound that pulled my attention from my company issued TP T30. Upon closer examination, my laptop was frozen at the last stage I left it. The desktop was unresponsive as was the shut down buttons and actual power button. I could not turn it off, nor could I send it into hibernation mode. I pulled the battery and disconnected the AC and tried to power it up immediately, which it did but it would not make it past the splash screen before it would die again. Pulled the battery and AC again and let it sit for a while. Came back and this time it went throught the entire start up and I was able to verify that all of my info was intact. Upon this verification I powered down and there it sat for two days. I came to the laptop today to Limewire a Beauty and the Beast song for my daughter to practice for her play and did that quite successfully and walked away with the jump drive to play it for her on her iMac. In the hallway a short time later talking to my wife when I hear the light saber-ish sound from my office and when I look at the computer it is dead. OFF. Blank. No response. Pulled battery and AC. Tried the memory thing. All to no avail.

Will try to power up again in the morning but I fear the worst. Three year warranty has recently expired and this thing has been relegated to wife's machine but really, these things should not be disposable after 2-3 years, right?

Prentiss (Vancouver, BC, Canada)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Kirk Atkinson Nov 01, 2005, 12:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a GRZ660 that will not boot. I've been told by Sony Support that I need to run the recovery disks. I have reciently moved and lost/missplaced the disks. Sony does not make the disks any longer. Is there anyway for me to get new/used recovery disks?

T bot Nov 02, 2005, 01:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I originally posted in August with problems with my Sony. I ended up getting it repaired in a local computer shop for $150. Connection to the motherboard problem. Just in case anyone else wants to try this fix. Good luck!

Adam B Nov 02, 2005, 02:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Looks like you GRX owners are in luck. Now if only there were a lawsuit to help me with my VAIO PCG-TR3A hard drive problems (2 VAIO PCG-TR3A laptops with 2 hard drive failures in 3 years).

http://leflaw.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op...AGE_id=276

Hapner v. Sony Corporation-filed in 2005, Feldman is co-counsel with three other firms against Sony Corp. The suit seeks certification of a national class of purchasers of Sony Vaio GRX series laptop computers. The suit alleges that Sony violated various consumer protection laws when it manufactured and marketed its Sony Vaio series laptop computers. As alleged, these laptops all had a defective memory slot which causes the computer to malfunction. The suit is pending in Superior Court of California, San Diego County. If you purchased a Sony Vaio GRX series laptop computer and would like more information, please contact our firm.

J R Nov 03, 2005, 11:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello to anyone considering sending your VGN-S series to Joe K @ AQS Computer Services for repair.

I recently sent my VGN-S150 to Joe for repair after the "system won't boot" problem quickly made my laptop unusable. Joe knows that the problem is due to an inherent flaw in the design of the laptop (in tech speak, it's the high operating temperatures of the video subsystem within the unit), AND he also knows how to fix it!

If you live outside of New York (like I do), I highly suggest UPS 2nd Day air for both shipments to and from Joe's company. I sent my VGN-S150 this way, the problem was repaired over a WEEKEND, and I received my PERFECTLY REPAIRED laptop less than a week later (yesterday). As soon as I took the laptop out of the box, I completed about 10 back-to-back boot and shutdowns and there were NO issues. Each time, my laptop booted as it did when it was first purchased.

Not only was the problem quickly and accurately fixed, but Joe also kept me posted on the status of the repair whenever I inquired via e-mail.

If you are currently having boot problems with your VGN-S series, it will only going to get worse. I highly suggest using Joe K @ AQS Computer Services and getting the necessary repair done right. It's also a great value...the entire cost of the repair, shipping costs and packaging was under $300. Thanks again, Joe! You have a loyal customer for whenever I need laptop repairs in the future.

For Joe’s contact information, please search for any of his posts.

Lance Biggs Nov 09, 2005, 06:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ALright...I don't exactly have the patentice to look through 64 pages so im not sure if this is the exact problem with the Ram. I have a Sony Vaio GRT100
While trying to install a new monitor, I turned it on and found out a plug in the back wasnt fully plugged in so i took the cover off (the part that hold the power button speakers) and redid the monitor. while the cover was open i turned the monitor off. once i got the monitor back together i replaced the power button cover and tried to turn it on... nothing happened... After waiting about 2 weeks I pressed the power button and it randomly turned on, after playing around with it a bit it was working fine but the volume wasnt working. I popped the power button cover off and looked around and everything seemed fine but no sound, i replaced the cover and thought what to do, i hit restart and while it was booting up i hit and held the power button..nothing happened. I tried again once it was fully booted and nothing still happened, i shut down from the start menu and tried to start it back up and it wouldnt work...and 2 weeks now it still hasnt started working again..not sure what to do to fix it if i can.

Tom Pappas Nov 09, 2005, 08:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'd start by replacing the flat ribbon cable that connects the power/speaker panel to the motherboard. This is a very delicate component (probably too delicate by any reasonable design standards), and can be easily broken by an over-zealous and/or inexperienced technician.

Tom

Lance Biggs Nov 10, 2005, 10:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well I was just gonna buy a new cover panel with the ribbon cable but i wanted to see if other people thought the same... yea im not exactly the best repairer ive prolley plugged in and unplugged that cable 20 times now

james davis Nov 15, 2005, 08:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
************************************** Ok I have the answer. *******************************************

Sony vaios dont boot often becuase of the memory slots needing re-soldering. You can get around this by opening the 2 inch plate at the bottom of the laptop and putting some thin foam over the memory to push the chip closer to the board.

But there is another problem why sonys dont boot and its quite simple. sometimes just taking the cd rom drive and hard drive out and switching it on gives it a boost of power and its on.

But there is still yet another problem why they dont boot up and thats becuase inside every sony vaio there are ribbon connectors that dont connect properley with the motherboard.

But there are still other problems why sonys dont boot up.. give me a call and i will try to help you out.

We can repair these visit my site at http://www.LaptopRepair.co.uk

kind regards best wishes to you all from james

Tom Pappas Nov 15, 2005, 10:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Do NOT put anything on your memory sockets to press them onto the mother board.
This can result in irreversible damage to the delicate circuitry on (and within) the board. If you can get your machine to boot by pressing on the socket(s) while you turn on the power, you should get it repaired without delay.

The stopgap solution may work for a while, and then prevent your machine from ever being fixed.

Tom
http://www.vaioshutdown.com

p.s. We ship to and from the U.K. by air for about £15 each way.

Joe K Nov 15, 2005, 11:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

JR,

Thanks for the recommendation.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
GENE GENE Nov 19, 2005, 01:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just want everyone to know, "DO NOT SEND YOUR COMPUTER TO ANYONE BUT JOE K (AQS COMPUTER SERVICES) IN NEW YORK. I sent my computer all over the U.S. and nobody fixed it. I sent the computer to Joe K and he had it fixed and returned to me the same day. Included a 90 day warranty. Save yourselves some time and START with Joe K. Thanks again Joe and keep up the good work.

Gene

Henk Burger Nov 20, 2005, 10:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone,

I'm probably also someone who's vaio is ready to get fixed.
I have a 3 year old PCG-FX604 with 256mb ram (one slot is empty), which was working great last year. I actually never take my laptop with me, so it's always on the same place. After taking it to a friend of mine, I started formatting the computer with the recovery disks. The computer shut down three times trying this operation. So I decided to let the computer cool down, and put it on a cold floor. After half an hour I tried it again, and it worked without crashing. After all the factory settings were installed again, I started installing the software. When doing this all of a sudden the computer crashed and didn't do anything.

One year ago, when I was taking my computer to college etc. it happened again sometimes, but a that time I was able the reboot the computer again. Last year I didn't take my laptop anywhere, and it worked fine.
I'm not really sure what the problem is. Is it the memory slot problem? Or is it just overheating? I tried the trick, and switched the memory to the other slot, but this didn't worked.

Should I sent it to Joe? Or is it possible that something else has been damaged. I read almost whole the tread, but I still can't find the problem.

I hope someone can help, because I really need my laptop for my study.

Regards,
Kasper

godverjappen@hotmail.com

Sean Schreiber Nov 23, 2005, 04:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
So, guess what, the same damn problem. Military and been deployed for the year, got back to the states, 1 wk later started have these prob. Try to turn it on, screens stays dead, power light goes on for 10-12 sec. then comes back on, still no screen, it runs, w/ no picture. Even put a disc in the CD-RW, I can hear the pc reading the disc and no screen what so ever. VGN-A130, I can't get any answers from Sony...of course....any suggestion?

Mark Urquhart-Webb Nov 24, 2005, 12:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just had to get my name on this forum. PCG GRX 560 - Same problem as most - always wondered why my 512 MB laptop only ever showed 256MB, assumed fault chip but swapped round the chips and nothing changed. (obviously socket 2 is faulty. OK, that's liveable with, if annoying with no warranty, but then the backlight failed and I'm planning on sending it in to Tom. SInce then I've bought a Fuljitsu Lifebook N6000 which I like (but the fan is really noisy!)

I've signed the petition, registerd with the class action lawsuit (seems a bit quiet). I read the Sony bastard lawyers replys which look suitably legalese, until I came the the bit that said basically 'it's your fault for not looking after your laptop properly' then It made me mad again.

Lets keep up the fight - I hate getting stiffed by an obviously faulty design - any decent company would have fixed this FOC.

PCG-GrrrrrrrrrrX owner
Mark

Jonas Lonnroth Nov 24, 2005, 01:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just another testimony from a satisfied customer.

Laptop: Vaio VGN-S series

Syntom: Bootproblem as reported especially in the beginning of this thread. Opening the memory compartment and applying pressure to the memory actually helped. Visual inspection of the memory slots did not show any bad solder joints. Then Joe pointed out (on page 63) that this series suffers from another problem which is caused by the cooling system being attached close to the video chip. With increasing heat, there is deformation and the boot problem occurs because of bad contact.

I sent my Vaio from Brussels, Belgium to Joe in the US. It was promptly repaired and returned by US Postal Services. While in Belgian customs, I had to send proof that the laptop is actually mine. That it had been bought outside the EU a year earlier wasn't an issue.

It works like a clock. No more problems. Thanks Joe.

Joe included a note with precautions. It says, i.a., "Please understand that your laptop needed repair due to poor design from Sony and the high temperatures of the video system within the laptop."

It will be a pleasure to bring the repair note to Sony's Grand Exhibition at next years CEBit Fair in Hannover, Germany. Maybe I should make an enlargment and walk around with it like a sandwhichman:-)

Regards

Jonas Lönnroth
Brussels, Belgium

Jonas Lonnroth

Regards

Jonas Lonnoth

Joe K Nov 24, 2005, 10:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 26, 2005, 05:34pm EST

Hello everyone,

I would like to add a comment to Jonas's post.

Please understand that the element of heat is only one of the contributing factors in the VGN-S series problem. Heat is often a problem in many laptops.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Joe Kabalan
ramesh babu Nov 29, 2005, 12:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe
I have a Sony PCG K23 laptop bought exactly 14 months back
Until one week back it was working properly and when i tried to login in the morning it wont boot
I see Battery light being on and fans turning, but everything is blank
I removed the power button cable and tried to insert it again and now light and fans also doesnt work
Could you please look at it
If you are able to repair it, i will send it to you ASAP, I need that to be worked soon
The laptop is very important for me
Thank You

Kristian K Nov 29, 2005, 08:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe,

I have a vaio grx5p (asian model).... and I'm having similar problems (description of what has happened follows).... do you think you'd be able to fix that ?? And do you have an idea what it might cost and shipping to and from Denmark (Europe) ??
Thanks in advance :)

Problem description:

What happens is this: I turn on the computer, the power lamp does turn on, it checks the 2 battery lamps (standard procedure) and then the hard drive lamp flashes very briefly. If I put a CD in the CD-ROM drive, the drive spins the drive light flashes a few times and then.... nothing more happens.

I have tried with and without battery, no change in how it responds (except that the battery lamp stays lit when it runs on battery power).

I have tried taking out the RAM and inserting it, one module at a time, and there was no change no matter whether I hade module A, B or both inserted.

Today I took out the harddrive, and copied my personal stuff to my work pc, so the hard drive functions well (of course I haven't yet had a chance to scan it for errors).

Basically the computer halts some time during the hardware check I think, since I think the things I describe above are checks on the harddrive being present, the CD drive being present etc.

I admit I am fairly lost with what to do next, but I might try disassembling it....

Anyway, here is the story to what happened just prior to the crash:

I was checking for new drivers for the computer and thus I needed the serial number of the machine (the serial is underneath the machine). I tilted the laptop (while it was running... I figured: big deal, since I have carried it around while it's on previously without any problems). After setting it back on the table, gently! I found that Windows had completely frozen. I then switched off the computer (had to unplug both the cable and battery to switch it off) and rebooted it without any problems.

Later that day when I wanted to use the computer again, I turned it on, wanting to check the BIOS, I opened the bios menu and then, during the menu, the computer froze again.... oh well, I did the hard shut down (cable and battery) and then I rebooted.... now the computer did not boot from the hard drive so I inserted the recovery cd which booted fine. When it wanted to delete the C-drive to do the recovery, I figured I could just boot on the hard drive instead, since it had clearly found the hard drive and all.... so I cancelled that and wanted to reboot. Ever since that it does not boot, neither on the hard drive nor on the cd-rom drive.... and I am completely lost

Joe K Nov 29, 2005, 10:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

You said:

"and then I rebooted.... now the computer did not boot from the hard drive so I inserted...."

What happened when it didn't boot from the drive? What error was displayed on the screen? Also, now that it does not POST, did you try only installing one stick of RAM and applying pressure to the body of the filled slot with your fingers as you power on?

Joe Kabalan

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.