Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1123 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:04am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Kristian K Nov 30, 2005, 03:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
The same thing happened: The screen kept being blank and I didn't even come to the SONY splash screen (and wasn't even getting to the BIOS accessing step).
The power lamp went on, the battery lamps flashed and the hard drive lamp flashed briefly. Pretty much the way it's behaving has been consistant.

I have tried with only one stick of RAM, though I have not tried the pressure application. I'll try that when I get back from work!

Wish me luck ;)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Kristian K Nov 30, 2005, 02:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Success!! I with one RAM chip at a time, and when I had only the one closest to the front of the computer inserted and pressed it, the computer booted!! Doing the same with one in the back of the computer did not let the computer boot.... so I take it I have the faulty memory socket thing ??

I wish there is someone close to Denmark who can fix this, as shipping to the states is probably going to be quite a lot :(

Kristian K Nov 30, 2005, 03:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, I got it to work for a brief moment, but now it does not work even when I press the RAM sockets.... I guess it really needs some proper repair!!

Alex S. Dec 01, 2005, 10:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow,

Amazing to see this thread still totally active almost two years later. I had posted having this problem back in February 2004, my PCG - FX340 Vaio RAM having suddenly dropped from 256mb to 128mb. Well, believe it or not, it's almost two years later and the rubber-band fix is still holding strong! Not that I'm recommending it over a more permanent fix, but thought I'd post the fact that it has lasted this long just in case someone is interested.

My initial post: http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/5449/?o=180

Cheers,
Alex
http://www.creativexpanse.com

Joe K Dec 01, 2005, 11:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Kristian,

Yes, you need to have the slots repaired. I think I seen someone mention a firm in the UK for this repair. Look through this thread a few pages back.

We can ship back to you for $69.00 + repair charges.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Kristian K Dec 02, 2005, 02:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, I'm happy to know what's wrong with it at least, as I'm actually quite fond of that laptop (the screen is really excellent among other things)... I might bring my laptop to the states with me this spring and send it to you from there ;)

Ok, anyone have any experience with laptoprepair.co.uk ??

Joe GMU de Paolis Dec 02, 2005, 06:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
TO FIX THIS PROBLEM,
1. TURN OFF LAPTOP AND REMOVE AC POWER ADAPTER AND THE BATTERY PACK.
2. RESET THE VAIO BY INSERTNG THE END OF A PAPER CLIP INTO THE RESET
BUTTON FOUND ON THE BOTTOM OF THE LAPTOP.
3i a. TURN ON THE LAPTOP AND HOLDDOWN F2.
b. CONFIGURE BIOS TO DEFAULT VALUES, SAVE AND EXIT.

IF THAT DOES NOT WORK,YOU WILL HAVE TO RESTORE THE SYSTEM TO ORIGINAL SETTINGS
THUS LOSING ALL DATA AND USER CONFIGURATIONS. (BUT YOU ALWAYS BACKED UP FILES.)

3ii a. TURN ON THE LAPTOP AND HOLDDOWN F10.
b. CHOOSE ONE OF THE RECOVERY OPTIONS AND BEGIN THE HOUR LONG RESORATION.
4. YOUR VAIO SHOULD BE UP AND RUNNING.

Melanie Hurst Dec 03, 2005, 05:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K23 which will not boot. It trys to start and then I get a blue screen that says:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

I've contacted sony support and they have been no help whatsoever. Has anyone else had this same problem? If so and you've fixed it please let me know. I'm almost done paying this off and I really don't want to have to buy a new one after only a year. Thanks!

H S Dec 03, 2005, 11:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Melanie, did you just install windows update or other software?

I want to share my experience after installing windows update to my SONY VAIO pc. It crashed very badly until I removed the latest windows update from my VAIO. After that, my sony worked perfectly fine.

Just FYI

scott simpson Dec 04, 2005, 01:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also bought a sony thinking that i was getting a good product. My parents only have sony electronics believing that they are quality products and encourage me to buy quality products as well. My sony vaio pcg-nv170 as it says on the screen and pcg-9D6L as it says on the bottom has Died! It will not boot, the 3 lights will not light. I went by best buy before reading this site and he tried the memory trick but no luck. This thing cost me over 2300 with accesories and now it is garbage. i have a 300 dollar comp that i bought from costco in 97 and it still works fine just too slow. I had no idea that there was such a huge problem with sony computers. Any one want parts. what else can be done but throw it away?
Im interested in anyone has ripped off the screen and wired it to work on something else . with such a heap of dead computers, somebody has to have made use out of the parts.
As for fixing it. If teh first MB fried why would you want another sony board for $700. If sony can ignore such a wide spread defect, i can ignore their products on the shelves and instruct others to do so aswell. i just saw a special on sony music CD's loading software on peoples computers and screwing them up.

Melanie Hurst Dec 04, 2005, 11:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I haven't been installing the updates because my computer has crashed from it before. Thanks for the advice though.

chris hodges Dec 06, 2005, 02:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same problem while trying to load xp on a vaio pcg-fx140. Originally, it would go to the boot menu, then lock up if you tried to select safe mode, or any other option.
When I formatted, and tried to boot from my xp pro cd, it would stall on setup.
I removed both memory sticks as well as the batter and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Put everything back together and voila...all is well.

Daniele Barraco Dec 08, 2005, 05:33am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony Vaio VGN-FS315H
Hi there,
I'll quickly!!! I would like to buy a Sony Vaio VGN-FS315H but after reading most posts I'm very scared about Sony. Unfortunately I haven't found posts about Sony Vaio VGN-FS315H here.
Someone had "famous" boot problems with Sony Vaio VGN-FS315H?

I need a laptop for audio/video editing and I'm deciding between Sony Vaio VGN-FS315H and Dell Inspiron 6000. I like very much design and lightness of Sony Vaio compared to Dell Inspiron 6000.

Please, all infos will be very apreciated.

THANX!!!

Daniele

PS
I live in Italy and I can't send the laptop to Usa in order to fix the problem, you know?!!?

C F Dec 13, 2005, 04:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
GRT769HP here gave up the ghost a month or so ago. 2 years old. Any ideas? :)

Dave C Dec 14, 2005, 06:01am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop: Thermal shutdown temperature problems
Not sure if anyone has sovled some of these probs RE Vaio Memory, RAM, Dimm Slots and Thermal Shutdowns but... Here's my solutions and my current problem. I have Vaio PCG-GRS700p with P4M @ 1.8 Ghz. 512mb DDR (256mb x 2).

First my problem. Running either WIN2k or XP pro, I recently attempted a bios flash using an automatically created floppy “supposed boot disk) from the Sony cite. It never booted correctly. I have 2 X 256mb DDR RAM sticks in the SODIMM #1 and #2. The BIOS only is now recognizing one slot but if I run the system drivers through again and reboot it recognizes fine until the next reboot (without drivers rerun). Not sure what to do. Look me up at Gntlmnwnedge at yahoo for email if anyone can help.

SOLUTIONS- RE Thermal shutdown: I do a lot of DVD work, runs CPU @ 100% of long periods. Eventually had temp problems to the point of shutdowns. The cause, simple. Dust/dirt from normal use has clogged a copper radiator inside. I'll explain.

Vaio architecture is designed for easy of access. At top of my keyboard where the screen meets the main until is a sliding section that houses my speakers and “on/off” button. A single screw on the left side just next to the memory stick slot will allow it slide about ½ inch and lift out. Next one screw opens the keyboard and the main internals are exposed.

A copper heat sink bolted tightly on top of the CPU leads to a forms a copper slotted radiator in front of the cooling fan. This unit is all one solid copper piece. It's removable with a few more screws (the fan must be removed also). I cleaned this copper heat sink with alcohol but I'm pretty sure hot water will work as copper is a pure element and won't rust but dry thoroughly before reinsertion. Clean all the dust. Reassemble. Your system will run as cool as ice. Got to “Download dot-com” and get the free utility “Speedfan” to keep and eye on it. Now even under heavy work, my CPU never climbs above 48C, normal running is about 38-40c.

Dave C Dec 14, 2005, 06:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I posted earlier RE the mem slot problem. I just ram Peddfan and it has a feature that reads the intel slot config. My problem again is Sony Vaio PCG-GRS700p with 2 X 256mb DDR RAM but recently system is only recognizing 256mb. NOTE: Windows and programs getting system info from Windows will only report what the BIOS has reported upon system boot. So checking those are worthless. However SPEEDFAN seems to have a way of reading the actual hardware. Now again, My system shows both in Windows and the bios that the #2 SODIMM slot is empty but it's not. I just now took a reading with the SPEEDFAN utility and the results are below: POINT:If the slot were REALLY bad then it should reflect as such in the below scan. But as can see the scann shows 2, 256mb mem modules. I'm thinking this is a BIOS issue or a system driver issue. Now I have noticed the second DIMM number assignment changing from one boot the the next. Somtimes its DIMM #2 others DIMM #6 and here DIMM #5. The DIMM #0 has never changed.

Scanning SMBus at $1880...
Decoding DIMM #0
Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 2
Levels : 2.5V
Parity : NO PARITY
Refresh Rate : 7.8us
Total Size : 256MB

Decoding DIMM #5
Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 2
Levels : 2.5V
Parity : NO PARITY
Refresh Rate : 7.8us
Total Size : 256MB

Dave C.
Gntlmnwnedge at Yahoo dot com

Tom Pappas Dec 14, 2005, 10:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Second socket sucks
I don't know how SPEEDFAN acquires the memory size, but I suspect it might be reading RAM that's only there intermittently (the fact that the assignment changes would tend to confirm this).

Try this: open the memory compartment and press down on the bad memory slot with your fingers while you power up the machine. Stop the POST with the F2 key and see how much the BIOS reports. If it says 512k, you probably have a bad connection between the SODIMM socket and the mother board. This condition can be cured by carefully resoldering each of the 400 pins.

p.s. It's not necessary to remove the heat sink to clean it. A blast of compressed air through the back of the radiator will usually unclog it. Worst case, the fan can be removed from the duct by undoing three screws.

Martin Clark Dec 16, 2005, 07:17am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is not so much about a Laptop that won’t boot as the same old second memory slot problem.

To recap here are all the faults with my 3 year old Sony Fx802 so far:

1.Internal CD drive is buggard. 2. Have 256 and 128 Mb SIMMs I can’t use because of the second memory slot problem. 3. Battery door keeps falling off. 4. Outer most left side screen hinge has split open, stressing on either side when the lid is closed down. 5. System battery failure: When I close down, I have to go into Stand by, going into hibernation means being met with system reboot later. 6. Battery failure?: When working on battery, I will save my work before closing down, only to find, the pc dies whilst saving so I lose everything! When I reboot I find sometimes the battery is at near full capacity. 7 I don’t know if this is standard but my battery lasts about 30 mins these days, and that’s on “Max Battery” Mode. 8. I thought this machine came with USB 2.0. No. It comes with 2 USB 1.0. A 2.0 card produces intermittent performance which seems to resemble more optimum USB 1.0 than USB 2.0.

I purchased this machine despite it’s processor, ram, hard drive spec being lower than the general standard, because of Sony’s mean spec policy, because a magazine called it a “Solid Machine”, If I could remember what magazine it was, I would be writing to tell them were they could stick their assessment skills.

This machine was once a source of pride and job, with the passing years, that quickly turned into a source of lots of other things like Angst, Anger and countless verbal expressions not printable here.

Sony obviously consider themselves to be so big, that they are immune to consequences of losing a few burned customers. It seems to be the general state of all things technological today, that like fashion items, it only seems to have to last for as long as it is currently cutting edge and in Sony’s case that means they feel its ok to be indifferent if the machine falls to bits upon being removed from the box.

I don’t know if any of you have come across this, but some people have attempted to seek readdress along legal lines, I would be interested to know if anyone had any results in this line.

I once called Sony’s “Helpline” in regard to problems I had with cd drivers, the only advice they gave, after they had established for sure I was still in guarantee, was to just to reinstall the system disc from scratch. If I did that now, they would now charge me £12+ for the privileged.

If any one in the UK would be interested in making a reasonable offer for a 128 Mb SIMMs for this machine email me at itdudeuk@yahoo.co.uk. I do not have Internet access at home, so reply may not be immediate.

David Kessler Dec 16, 2005, 09:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Martin,
Can't help with the rest of your issues, but I might be able to offer some help on the usb card. I bought one that had a cable to power it from another usb port on my machine. I found that it didn't get enough power to work with either my external DVD and external hard disk (which both of which were independently powered). So I returned that and bought another usb pcmcia card to provide usb2 at a reasonable speed. Not as fast as my firewire port (Sony i.Link), but not much slower either.

My GRX560 went to Sony with the dreaded memory problem. It was under warranty then. After Sony "fixed" it, my machine worked for about 6 months and I swore at it while it ran intermittently for another 3 months. By then, I had found this list (which was only about 40 pages long at that point). I sent my machine to Joe Kabalan who fixed it. It was fine for a few months and then developed the dreaded backlight failure. I sent it back to Joe for another repair job--about 6 months ago. Since then, it's been fine.

I did buy a usb-powered thing that sits under the laptop and has a couple of fans in it. Since then, my machine runs a fair amount cooler (according to SpeedFan which I run from time to time). I figure I have a 3 1/2 year old machine that gets a lot of use--at this point it's on all day pretty much every day. Laptops aren't supposed to last as long as desktop systems, but my system seems to be ok at this point. So at this point, I'm satisfied with my GRX560.

That said, my rule of thumb used to be "buy the best Sony product for the money you want to spend" for TV or DVD (and I considered their F828 digital camera but got the Minolta A2), I don't think I will buy another Sony product for a long, long time--if ever.

Incidentally, are you the same Martin Clark who worked at Pegasystems?
David (if you are, I'm KessD)

ivar tallo Dec 18, 2005, 05:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi! I have been impressed with this story that one can read here. If anyone wonders whether Sony has taken notice, I must dissapoint you, my nice little laptop that made a noise like a tractor from the very start (model VGN-S2HP or PCG-6D1M), with superb screen, exhibited all the same traits of lights coming on but no sign of screen life exactly a year after I bought it. So I hope Joe is still in business and won't take too much holiday time after Christmas, because there is going to be a package for him from Estonia. Just too bad that I did not come across this info a year ago when I did a reasearch of whether to buy a Vaio or not.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.