Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 699 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:31am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Martin Clark Dec 19, 2005, 09:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?

The USB 2.0 card I have, has 4 ports on it, and has an optional lead to plug into a USB 1.0 slot. I have a Pen drive, which ONLY runs off the USB 1.0 port. I realise they are power hungry. But thought USB devices were designed to drive devices of max 500 Milliamp. I am sure there are half a million on line who can correct me if I am wrong. What is urgently worrying me is my screen appears to be coming apart, I can actually see into it, where the left hand side screen hinge has split open. It is annoying to be limited to 256 Mb, especially when you own 768 Mb, forcing the machine to use the crap size hard drive sony supplied as virtual memory. I do use an external drive. A freecom machine.

I suspect, had it be possible for all the grief voiced on this be materialised, vocalised around Sony ears, if the right ears could be reached, if they even exist, then they would not hear anything anyway deafened, because it would make a Night Club sound like a Choir Practise!

This is as far as I can remember, the first time Sony have REALLY let me down. I also own a Sony VCR, for several years, which gives occasional trouble, but on the whole has been ok, touch wood. or whatever the hell this desk is made of.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Joe K Dec 19, 2005, 10:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Ivar,

Yes, we should be working "around" the holidays this year..

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
David Kessler Dec 19, 2005, 10:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Martin,
I understand that the usb card is not your major concern. My first purchase sounds like what you have. I returned it and bought another that has it's external power to a wall outlet. It works fine for me.

Good luck with the disintegrating machine.
David

Susan Kerr Dec 19, 2005, 05:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've had my Sony Vaio FX220 for about 3 years now (got it second-hand from my uncle). It's been used hard and was working just fine until 3 months ago. I checked in this forum for answers.Yep. Only 128MG RAM was showing up. I moved my 256 chip from slot #2 and put it in slot #1, leaving slot #2 empty. The Vaio is working just fine -- for now.

I like the Vaio, but it's no Mac. I had one of the original Mac portables for about 6 or 7 years and it never burped or hiccuped. I think I'll get a Mac when the Vaio dies. Sony gets no points from me for their lack of customer service and shoddy workmanship.

Sue

Mark Weiss Dec 22, 2005, 02:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop FIXED!
My Sony GRX560 finally went totally dead last week. It had been having trouble seeing both memory sticks, but things got drastically worse (and all about a week before I was to record a major concert using my laptop as a portable multitrack recorder with some external hardware). It locked up last week for the first time and I was unable to restart it.
That's when I e-mailed Joe Kabalan at AQS Computer Service. He was efficient and responded quickly to my enquiries about turnaround time during the holiday, and I shipped the laptop out middle of last week. By Monday, he had it repaired and a professional and polite young lady called me to inform me that it was ready to be paid for. I used my credit card and selected 2-day FedEx. My GRX560 arrived on Wednesday and I reinstalled my hard drive, CD/DVD drive and battery (Joe doesn't need these to repair your PC, so you don't have to worry about your data) and booted up. Lo and behold, the old girl came to life like brand-new. I rebooted multiple times to make sure and all is well. I also ran some lengthy CPU intensive processes all day to see if a lockup might occur. Not a hiccup. Solid and reliable as before all this trouble started.

If any of you are having the problem with the SODIMM slots, where by pressing on them, you get your computer to function, then Joe can repair it and do so quickly.
I would also like to note that I received my laptop back in the SAME cosmetic condition it was in when I sent it. Not one scratch. Joe took good care of it while it was in his shop.

Disclaimer: I am not a company employee, just a very satisfied customer. Thanks, Joe!

Dave C Dec 23, 2005, 10:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks everyone for the info. To recap, I've got the PCG-GRS700p. My first post was regarding thermal shutdown solutions and futher a problem with one of ram chips not being recognized.

RE the Cleaning of the radiator. Thnaks for the infothere Tom. Actually a lot of folk gave me the "blow air thru the back of the radiator" cure method and no doubt that would work. My whole deal is if I'm gonna clean it, I'm GONNA CLEAN it. Once inside the case I not only discovered the radiator clogged but also the fan blades were heavily dusted over etc. Also blowing the dust thru the back will unclog but blows that dirt thoughout the other system components. I have no warranty left on this 'puter so I dug into the thing.

I DID FIND A SOLUTION THE THE MEM CHIP. Yes it is a bad connection to mother board. Once I opened the mem compartment, the chips are "spring loaded" so to speak, once the clips are released. I isolated the bad slot, dropped the memchip in and put enough pressure on the chip to move it literally ONLY A HAIR and the system booted from the bad slot fine. INTERESTINGLY EVEN AFTER ONLY 1 OR 2 SECONDS PASS OF THE BOOT PROCESS I CAN LET GO OF THE CHIP AND SYSTEM RUNS FINE WITH ALL 512MB. BUT IF I LET IT BOOT WITHOUT THE PRESSURE, IT'S ONLY 256. STRANGE. ANYWAY, I'LL DO THE SOLDER WORK SOON AND THAT'LL BE THAT. thanks again and good luck to all.

D.

Mark Weiss Dec 23, 2005, 10:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dave C,
That is EXACTLY the symptom that my GRX560 had---I could get the machine to register all the RAM by pushing slightly on the SODIMM module.

Let me say this: all the evidence from my experience over the eight months that my problem existed suggests that it will worsen. It may have months to go where you can 'cheat' to get full use, but one day the system will just stop. Mine did, last week. So I sent it to Joe Kabalan to have the soldering reworked. I have it back and it's like new again.

My advice, don't screw around with it. Pay the measely $149 and get it done RIGHT. You'll be much happier in the long run.

My laptop was a total loss, or could have been scrapped if I hadn't been following this discussion thread since last March.

Looking back now, I now know why I got the 'hibernation file is corrupt' error way back last March when awakening the machine. The hibernation file was made when 512MB was active, and the machine rebooted with 256MB and there was a mismatch and the OS thought the file was corrupt. That was my first clue, which, in retrospect, makes sense now that I see the Big Picture.

darryl barrabee Dec 25, 2005, 12:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow, I just found this thread today.

I've a GRX500K; it has work quite excellent for a few years. I used it daily and often left it running for days at a time. It died approx 1 month ago. It had all the same issues written within the 65 pages of this thread.

I tried removing the chips then cleaning them, and that worked well; well enough to completely reformat the computer and upgrade it from 2000 to XP, but then the problem got worse and now it won't boot again - all in one day (If I keep rebooting it will start here and there).

Well, the computer belongs to my work, but if they will give it to me (which is likely) then I'll spend the money for repair as recommended on many posts at the recommended place.

But, I do want to add that I already completely dislike anything audio from Sony because of thin sound. I do like their televisions, but are typically too expensive. I did like the Sony computers, but after reading this thread and those not being support via Sony. I personally would not buy a Sony computer in the future.

But having said that, I do like the computer enough to fix the damn thing.

Sam Lee Dec 30, 2005, 02:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The same problems we have as others. We have a Sony NV-170, it was working ok with the original 256MB RAM. In a later time we added an additional 256MB RAM to the available slot. All kinds of problems started to show. For example, 1. System boots up with only 256MB RAM recognized. 2. System tried to start, but stopped right after BIOS showed up. 3. System would not even bother to have video right at being turned-on. 4. Sometimes we got the computer started up with 512MB to Windows, but the system could stop responding at any giving time.

In conclusion, the system will work properly if the comoputer has only 256MB RAM installed.

SONY SHOULD DO SOMETHING TO GET THIS PROBLEMS FIX!!!

ryan jurasek Jan 01, 2006, 01:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Glad to see this thread.
Like to say first that I have always bought sony stuff. laptop, camera, clie, tv, etc. but after my grz630 i think sony has lost my buisness. This laptop was simply a piece of junk.

Yes i had the memory power up issue, of which i fixed with a spacer, but before that my dvd-rom would play cd's. Sony wanted me to give them $900 for a replacement dvd-rom (their customer service is horrible). whatever i got it on eBay for $50. After that the monitor fell off, I had to go to my hardware store for some machine screws and actually drill holes in the metal. Some of the keys have also stopped working. Oh yeah the laptop constantly overheats, and so does the power supply.

And finally today, almost a blessing i guess, I went to turn on my great sony laptop and i got nothing, no screen, no fans, only three measly leds in the front staring back at me. Oh well good riddens. I'm an electrical engineer by trade and i wish that sony could be a little pro-active about this, I know thats how we are if we mess up a design.

well in short sony has lost my buisness and probably worse has got me telling all my friends how much their product stunk.

Saint L Jan 02, 2006, 10:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Problems on my GRX520: I plugged the AC adapter and 3 LEDs blink for less than a second then push the power button, all the LED's blink for less than a second but no activity at all. Pushed the power button and no more lights and no activity. Unplugged the AC adapter again, put the battery, plugged the AC adapter and the 3 LEDs blink and then I see the #1 battery blinks slowly as if it's being charged but once I pushed the power button, again all the LED's blink for less than a second but no activity at all and no more lights and activity after second or more attempts to push the power button and the battery will stop charging.

Problems on GRV670: Same thing as the GRX520 but the only difference is everytime I push the power button, all LEDs will blink and nothing happens and the battery is still charging.

Is this a power issue? I don't think it's a memory slot issue. Is there something to do with the DC regulator board?

Joe K Jan 03, 2006, 08:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 03, 2006, 08:59am EST

Saint,

Sounds like a power supply on the motherboard problem. Very rarely is it related to the DC Charge board. It may be a short condition on the board as well..

These conditions usually result from bad flat flex cables. The person removing or inserting the cables usually does not know that the cable is damaged. Sony's original cables (power button, DC Charges Board) are of the worst design I've ever seen. One removal and insertion is enough to damage the cable.

Insert a damaged cable and instantly damage the power supply on the motherboard resulting in a dead board. Happens all the time. First question I ask is "How are the flat cabels?" and they usually respond with "They're fine" but did you look at them under a microscope after all they are .05mm in pitch (or spacing).

Many, many motherboards have been damaged from bad cables.

Joe Kabalan
Saint L Jan 04, 2006, 05:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

Thank you for your response. As far as cables' condition, they are still intact or plugged after I carefully opened the power/speaker assembly and the keyboards of both laptops. So, do you think the motherboards are fried because of bad cables or do you think I'll just replace the flex cables and make it work? If replacing cables is the solution, how much will cost me for those?

Again, thank you.

Joe K Jan 04, 2006, 06:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 04, 2006, 06:24am EST

Saint,

If your laptop has never been disassembled prior to this problem surfacing then you're condition is more than likely related to component failure, more than likely stemming from heat.

I don't think a cable replacement will solve your issue. The cable reference was just a side note or warning to those who dis-assemble the laptop and re-assemble it.

Joe Kabalan
Chil Jan 07, 2006, 09:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? UK advice
I found a couple of postings on this thread regarding UK support, but cannot locate the postings listing the repair people.
My VGN-S1HP (18 moths old) will boot, but only intermittently and I cannot work out why, as it will boot after about ten attempts a bit of voodoo and one nervous breakdown.

If anyone knows of a UK guru who can save me from being institutionalised, please let me know!

Thanks in advance

p b Jan 07, 2006, 09:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe

I have 1.5 years old sony vaio vcg-505ex notebook. I did not connect to internet for a month as I have been out of the country. Now (3 days back) I was browsing and this microsoft updates were downloading, after a while my computer froze and dead.

I tried rebooting it several times, nothing happens after the vaio screen comes. i left it idle for a night and when i started it next morning it got the vaio screen, windows xp screen and the chkdsk recommended screen came. it successfully checked the disk, indexes but failed at the securities check of the check disk screen and an blue screen with hard error came. i tried restarting and again it does not pass after the vaio screen making a lot of disk noise.

left it idle for 8more hours and tried without activating the chkdsk but a blue screen comes with hard error again. now i tried to reboot by using windows xp cd but the same thing happens. now i tried to reinstall the windows xp, at the select the drive/partition it says the selected drive is not found.

Can you suggest me what to do and how to proceed on this as my sony wont boot.

Thank you,
Puru

Jason Panayiotou Jan 07, 2006, 11:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey i'm from the uk and my dads sony vaio laptop wont work

I was just browsing the net , when the laptop froze. So i switch it off, and now when i boot it, all the lights still turn on, on the front lip of the laptop. But the computer powers down and then turns back on automatically 3 seconds later. I can hear the cmputer loading, and the activity light flickers, also if i press the mute swicth, it goes orange. BUT THE SCREEN IS TURNED OFF. :(. My main problem is the screen wont work. Anyone know why. I trid connection a pc screen, but it didnt work.

I havent told my dad that i broke his 1,300 Vaio VGN-A117S yet, because i know it wasn't my fault but i need to find an explanation for wha happened. Cheers

juan bercetche Jan 09, 2006, 01:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Can i use one module with 1GB DDR ram memory in a Sony vaio Grx560?
I think the one below should work ok.....or there is amax capacity of 512MB per slot?
1GB (1024MB) DDR SODIMM Memory Module PC2100/2700 DDR266/333), 200 pin type, 2.5v, compatible with all Pentium 4/Pentium M/Celeron/AMD Athlon XP/AMD Sempron Laptops that have a 200MHz, 266MHz, or 333MHz memory bus and a 1024MB, 1280MB or 1536MB RAM capacity (with one memory slot) or a 2048MB RAM capacity (with two memory slots) such as the following.

Thanks

JB

Alex H. Jan 09, 2006, 06:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello.. I need help!!!! I have been following this thread for months if not for almost a year, and I have been struggling with the memory thing, sometimes I turned on my laptop GRV-680 and I just heard the fan... but now my sony vaio is officialy dead, when I turn it on nothing happens, now I can't even hear the fan.. just the first three status lights in the front of the laptop are on, and I have to disconnect the laptop from the electricity if I want the status lights off,,, Joe Tom or anyone else can help me? :( Is this because the memory slots or because the overheat ? Or what? Thank you.

Joe K Jan 09, 2006, 08:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Alex,

The 3 LED condition you're experiencing is related to and stems from the RAM slot problem. It's still repairable.

Joe Kabalan

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.