Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1155 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:43pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
David Lazar Jan 10, 2006, 11:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
I now find this page.... Damn !!

Neway, I own a VIAO PCG - GRZ 530.. one helluva laptop.. 8 months ago, i was so sick i ripped it open and got all the dirt and dust out and since then its been working its ass without burning itself in hell..

Now strange problem again... The damn thing wont boot.. I found a solution it.. SHAKE IT FOR A FEW SECONDS and the lappie will boot.. its crazy..

People who watch me trying to start the laptop think i am all nuts, when the truth is that the nuts who make these stupid things with defects need to get kicked nice and well..

Any other solutions that might work.. will pressing the reset button and resetting the BIOS work for this.. I figured that if the laptop is not moved a lot between restarts it has a problem rebooting.. the lights come on, the fan goes whirrrrr, but the damn screen just does not come on... PICK IT AND SHAKE IT LIKE YOU WUD TO A NAUGHTY DOG and REBOOT and it will bloody well reboot.

Lemme know if i can do anything more wise than this.. My laptop is about 2 yrs old. I brought it in Dubai.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tom Pappas Jan 11, 2006, 04:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The shaking probably slightly changes the juxtaposition of the memory sockets and the mother board, offering a temporary path through the crystallized solder joints.

The solution is to have the slots repaired.

Tom
http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Saint L Jan 14, 2006, 08:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 14, 2006, 08:43am EST

Puru,

Looks like your hard drive is dying but don't loose hope yet unless you do this: If you're running Windows 2000 or XP, you can put the OS disk as if you are reinstalling Windows but as you go through the prompt, select Repair Using Recovery Console, then follow the prompt to see if there are any errors.

Tom Pappas Jan 15, 2006, 12:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If the screen doesn't come on AT ALL, the hard drive can be eliminated as the cause. The first visible sign when a Vaio is powered on should be the logo displayed on the screen (and the musical signature, if enabled in the BIOS). Only then is the OS loaded from the HDD.

Tom

Aleksey Peres Jan 17, 2006, 10:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi there,

I have a PCG-FX120 VAIO that wont power up. When I pushed the power button the leds on the panel light up, the fan would spin and there are noise from the speakers then it dies. The process take less than a second. whenever I power it on it would blink and dies. (except sending it to Joe--I'm in Indonesia so S&H would be overkill on my budget).
I really wanted to get this thing to acctually boot or just powerd up! Any help and suggestion is very welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Aleksey

Zubin C Jan 17, 2006, 04:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a Sony PCG-F250. It was working fine until yesterday when it switched off by itself and wouldn't start up again. No light, no whirring of the fan, nothing. I've heard about laptops switching off at random times but they do boot at after a time. Do you think this belongs in the same problem area? I just put new hinges in it and would hate to find that I wasted my time and money for it to die on me!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

hefe pinknoodle Jan 17, 2006, 05:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 17, 2006, 05:02pm EST

ok fellaz...
here is the dealio..

I live in michigan, and own a computer store
I have a customer with the grx550 with the same RAM problem..
I called Joe, and arranged repair..

I shipped it out wednesday (UPS 3 day)
I recieved the machine back on Tuesday REPAIRED!!
thatis less that 1 week round trip from MI to NY and back!!!

Joe is the MAN!!!

this thread needs to stop here..
if your lappy is broke..
send it 2 joe...

NUFF SAID

------------------
Joe's Info

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email:aqs12@adelphia.net

Mark Weiss Jan 17, 2006, 09:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just was stopping by to mention that it has been several weeks since I received my GRX560 back, repaired by Joe Kabalan at AQS Computer and it is still working perfectly. It's beyond a doubt, not a quirk, but a real permanent repair. Just thought some of you would like to know that. The soldering is indeed the issue with these laptops and Joe has found the solution and effectively administers it for a reasonable cost. If you have any doubts as to how long the repair will last, I think you can stop worrying about it. The repair is lasting and the GRX560 has not even hiccuped since the repair. 100% reliable again.

Tom Pappas Jan 18, 2006, 11:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Zubin C
This symptom is not unknown in F250s. Besides the power supply issues at

http://www.vaioshutdown.com/dead.html

it might also be caused by bad capacitors on the CPU daughterboard.

Tom

Zubin C Jan 19, 2006, 12:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 19, 2006, 12:08pm EST

Hi,

Sorry to lengthen this board yet again but I just wanted to say thanks for the replies.

I took out the CMOS battery and reinserted it. Afterwards, this managed to get my laptop to boot up fine. Unfortunately, it sometimes switches off by itself or when there is sudden movement to the laptop so i have to repeat the process. But at least I know its not completely knackered! =)

Thanks again

Vladimir Minkov Jan 23, 2006, 07:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi!
I have Sony Vaio GRX 516 MD and it is working at all but there has a small problem ,it doesn't boot from DVD/CD-RW drive.I cheked all BIOS settings they are O.K. or they only looks O.K. On IDE0 I can see my HDD but on IDE1 my DVD drive is missing.That doesn't mean that this drive is not working,no it's working fine ,but only in Windows OS.I like to install on this laptop and Linux as second OS.I don't know what to do.I need help.Any idea?

Chil Jan 23, 2006, 08:04am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does anyone know of an equivalent to Joe in the UK?

thanks!

SparkyBruce Jan 23, 2006, 03:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Chil , I can repair the memory sockets on vaios and I live near Peterborough in the U.K.
I'm a chartered electronics engineer and I have a Metcal 500MX system at home (after using them at work for a couple of years).

I have fixed a number of machines for work , three for myself (the GRX316MP that I'm typing this on is the latest one), and two for friends.

The trouble is trying to find a reliable delivery company to ship the laptops backwards and forwards that doesn't cost the earth.

If your local then I could do a repair while you wait.

Bruce

Chartered Electronics Engineer
Designer I/P Set top boxes (Amino)
UK repair of Vaio memory sockets

http://www.sparkybruce.com
http://www.vaiorepair.co.uk
Pat Harrison Jan 23, 2006, 04:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
When my s260 finally boots I have som locking problem and my display adapter driver fails which dumps me in to a 16 color 640X480 mode. Is still in line with the ram slot issue?

And I see there is a Tom and a Joe for repair, who should I go with?

And we should all sacrifice a S series to the god of Google for finding this thread =]

~P

Joe K Jan 24, 2006, 08:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Pat,

The VGN-S series does not suffer from a DIMM slot problem. Please see the following:

http://www.aqstech.com/vaio3.html

Thank you,

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Pat Harrison Jan 24, 2006, 11:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

What does this mean for me and my S260? Mainboard? Is there any solution?

~P

Joe K Jan 24, 2006, 03:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Pat,

Please email me directly at: aqs12@adelphia.net

I'll send you further details about the repair.

Thanks.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Jim Cannell Jan 30, 2006, 08:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have read the threads on memory problems with interest (and frustration).
It would appear that that is ONE of my problems on my VAIO FX140.
I will try the suggestions in the thread first.
I also have the following problems.
1. I can no longer run any networking on my PC (wireless via PCcard OR wired) despite a full recovery of the system back to factory defaults via supplied CD's and minimal/basic configuration.
2. I get excessive beeping when I boot (maybe due to memory problem) but I do get the VAIO logo and it does usually stop eventually and boot (albeit slowly as I only see one memory module per above).
3. When I do get in, my cursor 'regularly' returns home (to first/top option on screen or menu, or to the start of the line, when I am typing...).
This happens in DOS and windows and I can now force it to happen, by pressing any of the following keys.
- ~ _ 6 to name but a few !!

All the above now render my Laptop unusable....
If anyone has any ideas/suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
I live in the UK, so shipping to the US isn't really viable.

Thanks
Jim

SparkyBruce Jan 30, 2006, 08:17am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Jim , whereabouts in the U.K. are you?

I can fix the memory socket problem , but it sounds that you are having more than the basic memory socket error.

I live near Peterborough.

Thanks

Bruce

Chartered Electronics Engineer
Designer I/P Set top boxes (Amino)
UK repair of Vaio memory sockets

http://www.sparkybruce.com
http://www.vaiorepair.co.uk
Jim Cannell Jan 30, 2006, 08:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I work in London so not that close to Peterborough...
I really want to solve all the problems (and I wonder if they are connected in anyway)?? or if it is a just series of hardware failures?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.