Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1194 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:44pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Tom Pappas Feb 01, 2006, 09:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> POST Beeps
When the Power-On Self-Test in the BIOS checks the hardware, it indicates any problem it finds by beeping the speaker in a sequence that is specific to each defect.

Before you go any further, you might want to go to the BIOS manufacturer's web site and see if the POST codes you are hearing are listed there.

It might give you a place to start. Off the top of my head, it sounds like you might have an issue with the keyboard or its connection to the mother board. Has it been wet?

Tom

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Elena Dimitrova Feb 02, 2006, 12:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hi All,

recently the power socket of my Sony VAIO 505 failed and the laptop started using up the battery really fast. For 5 min (only enough to get the cruical data off the laptop :// ) and my battery was empty. I brought it to a repair shop in London and they said that there's been a power failure of some sort and the motherboard has blown, they also said it is a popular problem amongst Sony VAIO users that's kept them busy in tha past month. They have now repaired the power supply but they're working on the motherboard and trying to save it.
I need to know if there are other people out there with the same problem as we could get our statements together and write to Sony about it.

Peter Matras Feb 02, 2006, 04:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
PCG-GR290P laptop won't boot. When i have the AC Adapter in it freezes after the Sony logo. When no AC adapter plugged in (running on battery) i can get as far as Windows XP logo for about 15sec then i get the blue screen. Any sugestions?

Jim Cannell Feb 02, 2006, 04:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The suggestion about unclipping the memory and closing the cover really worked and I now have 256Mb RAM again !!
However, I still get lots of beeps at startup, no networking and the cursor jumping to top of screen.

Will see how long the memory stays and whether I can fix the other issues, before looking for longer term fix.

Thanks Bruce and Tom for your suggestions.......

Cybercuy Cybercuy Feb 02, 2006, 05:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry guy. I do not want to hijack this post, but once the question could be of interest of all of us I will post it:

The Hard Drive of my Sony VGN-S260 is damaged (or at least is sems to be). So it won't boot any more. I was thinking in booting it (Linux) from a USB pen drive or external hard drive. But there is not any option in the BIOS to do that.

Has any of you has got boot this kind of laptor from a USB. Do I need a Bios update to get booted from the external HD?.

Another question: does anybody now how could I low level format a HD in this kind of laptop?.

Thanks guys and very best regards.

Cybercuy
(The flying guinea pig).

Alon Or-bach Feb 02, 2006, 10:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just thought I'd mention my thanks to this forum - and outrage towards Sony.
I have a two-year-old Sony VAIO PCG-NV109M - which in the last few days has been freezing suddenly, and then refused to boot up as many have described.
Moved memory from Slot 1 to Slot 2 and it works again. Unbelievable - so glad I've moved to Apple :-)

Rebecca Shannon Feb 05, 2006, 12:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm so glad I searched the net for this instead of trying to use Sony's tech support any further. My PCG-GRX500K is about 3.5 years old now and out of warranty. I tried working with Sony to figure out why it wouldn't boot up anymore and they were no help at all. I can't believe there are 68 pages of posts on this topic and yet Sony doesn't offer up that it's a known problem on their site or over the phone.

Well, it sounds like I might need to contact Joe and see what he can do for me. I really miss surfing from bed and would love to get my laptop back in working order.

Thanks to all of you and your posts - without them, I'm sure I'd be buying a new laptop soon instead of fixing a perfectly fine one.

Rebecca in Memphis

Victor Hackney Feb 05, 2006, 07:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hallo Rebecca,
I fully sympathise with you frustration with your problem with your Laptop.

As you already know:- On MARCH 4th 2003 :-)) J Cranley Posted the following: Quote:
I have this laptop and the battery (I think is fully charged) but the A/C cord wont boot the laptop. WHat is wrong with my laptop is it the battery or the A/C cord?Unqute:..that's his spelling:-))
HE DID NOT EVEN STATE WHICH MODEL he was referring to.and this triggered off 68 pages of replies totaling 1349 posts ....and then he promptly disappeared from the scene.:-))

There were many interjections , some helpful, and others "I Have the same problem"etc,etc: related to many of the multitude of models that Sony have thrust upon the public, with inherrent faults, and poor support, and highly expensive repair costs.

Most of the later posts required individual diagnosis, and in some cases received some feedback. but there were many which received suggestions that did not relate to thier particular model.

Regarding your post Rebecca:PCG-GRX500K which you appear to have looked after and been careful and had good service for over 3yrs; With the greatest of respect I would refer you to your Quote:
" I really miss surfing from bed and would love to get my laptop back in working order". Unquote:

I have posted in the past the folowing, and have had good feedback: That it is inadviseable to operate Laptops when resting them on Carpets, soft furnishings ie: BEDS etc: as this restricts the air-flow cooling and can lead to instability due to the ingress of fluff and other debris which can clog-up the cooling fan/fans.

It has been suggested by many, that the use of pressurised canned air can be used to disperse the dust/debris etc:, but I prefer the useof a small battery operated vacuum cleaner, which removes most of the debris, as apposed to the canned air spreading it throught the whole of the laptop , which eventually is recycled back to the fan coolers again.

This post may help others, but I thought it worthy of a note to you, and I trust that soon you will have your Laptop restored to it's former condion. I agree that contactin Joe is a good idea, if the problem persists

Best Wishes to You & ( Memphis brings back memories)

Take Care
VIC UK

All forces are equal and opposite
Mark Urquhart-Webb Feb 05, 2006, 01:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 06, 2006, 09:39am EST

Got my laptop (PCG GRX560) back from Joe Kabalan (AQS Computer Services) (flourescent tube and dimm slot fix) and everything looks great. Odd thing is that the hard disk, which I had removed prior to sending it has started failing and making a noise.

Just for a test, I put in the HD I got with the laptop and which failed a year ago and the darn thing came to life, as good as new.

Magic?

Michael xu Feb 05, 2006, 03:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a SONY VAIO-PCG-V505EX (bought in early 2004). Yesterday, it stopped working.
After I turn on the switch, the LED lights for power and battery will be ON. But there is no booting sound or display. We did not do any memory upgrade.

Could anyone give some advice on the problem?
Where can I find information to open up the computer?

Thanks a lot!

Tiffany Gibson Feb 05, 2006, 06:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had a ton of problems recently with my sony laptop. It's a PCG-K25. I actually work at Best Buy and one of our Geek Squad guy's has been working on it. I had the hard drive partioned together and did a full memory upgrade. It worked great for about 2 months, and all the sudden it froze on me. It freezes at the windows screen. The light on the memory stick reader is on, and if you put a memory stick in, it will work. Take the memory stick out, and it stops working. Anybody have any insights or suggestions as to where to look for info on how to fix this??

Ika Sternal Feb 05, 2006, 06:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi!
Is there anybode in UK who can repair Lapto[ sony vaio PCG if motherboard is defected from ram memory slot? I mean the kind of problem that have most people here in that topic

I found some advices here but it`s all situated in USA and then it`s a prob
with sshipping there and back.
Who is Joe?

Tom McMurtrey Feb 05, 2006, 08:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Folks,
I've been reading this subject for an hour. I just added 2 512's to my Sony GRX650. Suprise! Only 512 available. I read some time back where someone repaired the solder joints with a fine point soldering iron and a microscope. I was wondering if any of the surface mount people were still watching this subject. I have an idea. I have some of the paste solder that is used to solder smt components. Is it possible that this paste could be applied and heated with a heat gun to restore the broken solder joints on the memory sockets??? That would really be a quick and easy fix if it worked. A tube of this solder paste is about $35. The paste is supposed to be water soluble to facilitate cleanup. This might do a cleaner job than my shaky hand and a pointed soldering iron.

I have not done any smt work yet, so I have no experience with the paste. SO, I'll be happy to hear comments.

Tom tmac@hiwaay.net

SparkyBruce Feb 06, 2006, 05:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Ika, I can repair the memory sockets and I live near Peterborough in the U.K.

If you not too far away I could a repair 'while you wait'.

Thanks

Bruce

Chartered Electronics Engineer
Designer I/P Set top boxes (Amino)
UK repair of Vaio memory sockets

http://www.sparkybruce.com
http://www.vaiorepair.co.uk
Joe K Feb 06, 2006, 09:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tom McMurtrey,

Every tech has his / her own way of repairing the DIMM slots. I personally use the solder wire and high grade flux followed by visual inspection.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Tom Pappas Feb 06, 2006, 10:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Is it possible that this paste could be applied and heated with a heat gun to restore the broken sol
When using a heat gun, there are two temperatures that need to be observed:

1. The melting point of the solder
2. The melting point of the SODIMM sockets

If your heat rig can raise the temperature of the connections to 1. without reaching 2., then go ahead. If not, I advise against attempting this repair. I have received a number of Vaios where 2. was exceeded, and most of them were a total loss.

Tom

Michael xu Feb 06, 2006, 02:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 06, 2006, 02:29pm EST

My computer's problem was solved by going to online SONY support.
I chose the online chatting with their analysist.
They have a certain procedure for a certain problems.

My computer's problem was solved by pushing the reset hole at the bottom of the computer.

Good luck with your computer!

Tom Pappas Feb 06, 2006, 03:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Pressing the reset button
We have seen some mother boards that were ruined by people pressing down on the reset button either too hard, with the wrong tool, or both.

Use a wooden toothpick.

Press it 1/32" until it makes contact. It requires hardly any force at all.

Tom

Troubleshooting hints at:

Test User Feb 06, 2006, 10:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a PCG-GRZ530 that has had the overheating problem for quite awhile. The last time I opened up the speaker area to clean out the fan and slid the speaker grill back in. I immediately noticed a burning smell and when I slid the grill back off the flat cable that connects the power button on the grill to the motherboard had been 'fried' (well at least one of the wires of the flat cable). What I think happened was that the heat of the system eventually compromised the covering on the flat cable (just one edge) and when I removed the grill and slid it back in, it happened to come in contact with the metal heat sink assembly. So to make a long story short, has anyone else experienced this? Also does anyone know where I can find a replacement cable? My portable is fine since I was able to get it to start, but I the cable needs to be replaced.

Thanks

hari reddy Feb 07, 2006, 10:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have a vgn-t150p and have been having the problem with the memory slots. anyone else with the same model having these problems? is it across the board on all vaio models?
Joe, do you fix the slots on the t150p or only the models listed on your website?
thanks.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.