Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1177 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:38pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Jay Violini Feb 09, 2006, 07:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Is it possible to upgrade the graphics card for the PCG-GRZ660 ?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
f c Feb 14, 2006, 03:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 14, 2006, 03:26am EST

My Vaio FX802 has fallen victim to the DIMM connector issue too :/
3 months after the warranty ended too, which is especially annoying as if I had added another DIMM earlier, then it most likely would have failed during the warranty period. Now back to just running with 256M RAM which really isn't a lot. Anyhow, glad I've found these pages.

Has anyone had any luck with Sony for an out of warranty repair? I think I'm going to open a complaint and see what can be achieved, although I'm not really optimistic.

SparkyBruce Feb 14, 2006, 05:04am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello f c , I can repair the sockets for you and I live near Peterborough in the U.K.

I have reciently repaired Charles's machine (see previous posts).

Send me an email and we can talk about it.

Thanks

Bruce

Chartered Electronics Engineer
Designer I/P Set top boxes (Amino)
UK repair of Vaio memory sockets

http://www.sparkybruce.com
http://www.vaiorepair.co.uk
Brad Sindle Feb 14, 2006, 12:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot/ LOCKS UP
Dear Forum, thanks!

I am relieved that I am not the only one with a P.O.S. Sony Viao with problems. EVEN AFTER MY FIRST SONY WARRANTY REPAIR (about a year or so into owning the machine), the same problem returned last fall and I am all out of warranty (even the extended warranty). MY PCG-GRX 560 was running hot and LOCKING UP. Was repaired and statement said "replaced heat sink" or something close. Worked for another 6 months or so and then began locking up during any processes requiring significant processor usage. Runs for about 10 minutes. Couldn't complete a virus scan without freezing.

Oh, yeah, when I got the computer back, I added a second stick of 256 ram. I seem to remember that it wasn't recognized immediately either and several times while using the machine I would check and see that it was only 256MB. I would remove and reinsert the chip and voila! 512!

Put the POS on the shelf last summer as no time or bucks to repair/replace. Now I NEED THIS P.O.S. Decided on a whim that perhaps I should just restore the system to original config and start over (even though I had been trying selective startups). I also noticed that the fan doesn't seem to be running so think it is all heat related. Unfortunately, I get 66% of complete restore and get "unkown error", system restore not completed, your puter might not boot up. (DUH!) So it is dead.......

Help me sign the class action suit. I seem to remember 4 or so years ago I PAID over $3000 for this thing. I NEED IT. CompUSA just says, $145 to look at it.....probably $600 plus for new motherboard. "Go see what we have on sale in the laptop department".

As a former Sony PURIST.........I am ready to scream CRAP! Will be sending an email to someone at sony.....just tell me who!

Thanks for letting me vent. Gonna try to take apart and check fan operation. What a waste of time.

Joe H Feb 15, 2006, 09:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anybody know of a repair tech in Seattle that is familiar with repairing this issue?

I just bought a new HDD, reimaged the entire machine and sent it to my bro in CA as a present (he just started school). Needless to say, he had to send it back to me after much troubleshooting and diagnostic fee's that proved unhelpful. So much wasted time!!

GRRRR (thats my sob story)

this computer isn't worth it to me to package and send to NY and all that. If anyone knows of a Seattle Tech familiar with this Mem Module problem, it'd be MUCH appreciated

thx
JOE

Joe H Feb 15, 2006, 09:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
FYI: (like it matters at this point)

the business card trick got my computer to boot

thx for the temporary solution. still seeking permanent fix by Seattle TEch

thx
J

Roberto Lublinerman Feb 16, 2006, 04:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well my S260 died last and I got the motherboard replaced by sony (free of charge) due to the admitted defect on VGN-S series motherboards.

I have a question though, is the new motherboard exactly the same as the old one, i.e. does it have a latent design problem? Does anybody know what is exactly the problem with these motherboards and what is the real solution?

Thanks,
Roberto

SparkyBruce Feb 16, 2006, 05:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Roberto , Joe has posted info on this before here:-

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/42666/

Bruce

Chartered Electronics Engineer
Designer I/P Set top boxes (Amino)
UK repair of Vaio memory sockets

http://www.sparkybruce.com
http://www.vaiorepair.co.uk
Reno ker Feb 16, 2006, 06:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear friends,

sony vaio Dimm socket error is common.It is very easy to sort out....better you should find a person who can do the soldering works perfectly (like person who works in small printed circuit boards)
just remove the dimm socket cover and ram as well and solder every single ciruit fixed the pcb....i have done this same thing 3 years back and no problem at all......don't waste time and money .....find a local person and do it as soon as possible.

Regards
Reno

Joe K Feb 16, 2006, 07:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 16, 2006, 07:52pm EST

Hi Roberto,

I haven't seen a replacement motherboard for the VGN-S series. I cannot comment if Sony is replacing the motherboard with the same board or a revised version. I'm sure time will tell.

Thanks,

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Roberto Lublinerman Feb 17, 2006, 10:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 17, 2006, 03:04pm EST

Thank you all for your answers....

Joe,

I have a FX270 with all the sympthoms of the memory slot problem, taking off one of the modules helped somehow, but I would like to have it fixed, can I arrange that with you?

With respect to the S260 with motherboard replaced, is the fault obvious by just looking at it? I have opened it again when I got it back and the motherboard looks exactly the same, same heatsink on top of the graphic chip, etc... I wouldnt feel right if the mobo has not been revisioned.....

All the best,
Roberto

mike--- mike.. Feb 18, 2006, 09:56am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I did post a the fix i found right?

All u need is to put presure to the memory modules and it works.

fixed it with a bit of tape and some cardboard at first.

replaced it with some rubber thingy later, still works like a charm, sony vaio GRZ-something-660

Tom Pappas Feb 18, 2006, 11:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 21, 2006, 03:33pm EST

>> mike ...
Applying pressure to the memory sockets might work for a while. But the pressure can also screw up the mother board, turning a simple repair into a catastrophe.

I recommend having a pro look at it instead.

Tom
http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Filly Mae Feb 21, 2006, 06:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 21, 2006, 06:18am EST

Vaio N505 VE/98se

Won't load windows...I get the Sony screen (1) beep and than nothing. I am attempting to troubleshoot per the Sony knowledge base guidelines "Remove and replace (reseat) the original RAM that came installed in the notebook." I have the cover off and without a diagram I have absolutely no idea where it is? I do not have any additional ram installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pinky Wong Feb 22, 2006, 02:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi there.... i purchased a sony VGN-S260 in nov 2004. apparently, i dropped my laptop from a table to the carpet floor and ever since, my laptop just keeps on turning off when i move it around. however, one day, it juss totally shut off and i couldn't turn it back on anymore. the lights went on, it seemed to be booting. but the screen doesn't go on. then i thoght that something was loose inside. so i decided to open up my laptop and take a look at the inside to see what was loose. however, after i opened it, now it won't even turn on. only the lights. i'm so frustrated with it although i dropped it on the floor. i called sony and they said that my warranty was over already. any suggestions?

hi there.... i purchased a sony VGN-S260 in nov 2004. apparently, i dropped my laptop from a table to the carpet floor and ever since, my laptop just keeps on turning off when i move it around. however, one day, it juss totally shut off and i couldn't turn it back on anymore. the lights went on, it seemed to be booting. but the screen doesn't go on. then i thoght that something was loose inside. so i decided to open up my laptop and take a look at the inside to see what was loose. however, after i opened it, now it won't even turn on. only the lights. i'm so frustrated with it although i dropped it on the floor. i called sony and they said that my warranty was over already. any suggestions?

mike--- mike.. Feb 23, 2006, 03:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Why would i want to have a professional look at it when i'm fully capable of fixing the cheep laptop i got, without having to pay sum $xxx... i say it would be cheating if i sent it in for repair :p

and, its an older laptop that it would be cheaper to replace than send in for repair...

Tom Pappas Feb 24, 2006, 11:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> The purpose of my response
was to dissuade anyone who might be so foolish as to attempt to "repair" a computer that has been selling on eBay lately for $600 to $1800 using a method that has been shown repeatedly to damage it irreparably.

Tom

David Kessler Feb 25, 2006, 12:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
mike--- mike..

I did the pressure thing on my computer and it worked for a while. (I didn't know about the potential permanently killing the machine.) Eventually, the pressure trick didn't work any more. So I sent it out for repair (to Joe Kabalan). For less than $200, I had a reliable computer again.

I have built/rebuilt desktop machines for years (since the early 80s). I certainly couldn't--and less than $200 seemed a reasonable price to keep my machine running for another couple of years (I'm waiting for more new technology before replacing the machine).

A lot of people who have contributed to this thread have had Joe and Tom fix their machines and have found their prices reasonable and their work reliable. There are a lot of people here who are continuing to use their old machines because of the work these guys (and others overseas) have done.

If you can repair poor soldering on the memory sockets, more power to you. Or if it's not worth it to you to repair it, that's a reasonable decision too. But I think it's a bit harsh to say that repairing a machine is "cheating."

David

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.