Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1234 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:35pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
SparkyBruce Feb 25, 2006, 04:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
David I totally agree.

Most of the machines that I have repaired have been the vaio's with the 16 inch 1600x1200 screens. Saying that the memory fault occurs right across the range (we even have two new machines at work away at the moment for waranty repair).

I have an FX804 comming to me in the post as we speak for a resolder. This is probably about the oldest that most people would consider repairing (AMD 1500+) though the oldest has been a 505FX.

The shipping costs can easily be larger than the repair costs. I have a guy in the Netherlands who has contacted me (UK) asking for a quote. The international postage costs are going to double the price. The other end of the spectrum is a guy who is bringing his machine to me on Monday for a while you wait repair (hence zero postage costs).

I have repaired a number of old FX203K's at work that are fine machines for terminals on the benches, they were worth repairing as they were just kicking around.

Bruce

Chartered Electronics Engineer
Designer I/P Set top boxes (Amino)
UK repair of Vaio memory sockets

http://www.sparkybruce.com
http://www.vaiorepair.co.uk
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
David Kessler Feb 25, 2006, 06:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Bruce,
I guess postal rates in Europe make a big difference. It only cost me about $25 for round trip postage. That was included in my < $200 repair cost.
David

SparkyBruce Feb 26, 2006, 05:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
$25 for a round trip ... wow.

The royal mail service in the uk that I use is their special delivery (with 1000 insurance) and that is 19.45 each way (almost $68 for the round trip).

That's why some people prefer to bring their machines to me for the while you wait repair.

Bruce

rick mantle Feb 26, 2006, 08:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi all fellow sufferers,
just thought I'd post an update. Had my lappy repaired by Joe over 18 months ago and still using it heavily with not a single problem. To those who get yours to boot by jiggling or placing a bit of card under the memory cover just a note of caution; these are just temporary fixes. Mine lasted about four months after it started to have problems by shaking it and jiggling the ram sticks or just re-seating them, but eventually came the time when nothing would make it boot. To save on postage and Joe's labour bill (I live in London, UK) I dismantled the vaio down to just the motherboard and sent that along to Joe. OK, none of us should have to pay this because it is Sony's fault, but I'm just happy to have a reliable machine thanks to Joe.

good luck folks
rick

Joe K Feb 26, 2006, 08:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Rick,

Glad to hear all is still well. Thanks for the recommendation as well..

Just a bit of clarification to anyone considering sending in your laptop to us for repair. Rick's ability to send in only the motherboard was an isolated case and not the norm. Our policy for anyone within the USA is to send the completely assembled laptop. We do not accept single motherboards from within the USA.

Anyone overseas will need to discuss this issue with me as it normally not accepted.

Thanks again,

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
David Abbott Feb 26, 2006, 09:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I ran across this thread trying to fix a toshiba tecra 8200. It had the same problem as posted as the sony. So I did the tape fix and could not believe that it booted. thanks

mike--- mike.. Feb 27, 2006, 01:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I say cheating because im studying electronics... and if you have managed to break it totally, to much pressure must have been applied. it's not just sony having trouble, I've seen similar ati chip based laptop with similar issues. . .

anyway, my laptop works now and until i get around to soldiering it, "witch i don't even think is the problem at all" i think its the mem slots them selves that's the bugger in this case/s ( sonys )

rick mantle Feb 27, 2006, 06:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
uh, sorry Joe K, I didn't realise my foot was heading towards my mouth as I typed my last post. Apologies to all. I must admit that dismantling the vaio down to the mobo was pretty hairy in spots; not something you do for fun - constantly worrying I was ruining it forever, so I can take Gentleman Joe's admonishments on the chin and in the spirit they were intended. Sorry Joe.

As an aside, is there anyone out there who has any news on some form of legal redress from sony for European users? As you may know there is no 'class action suit' type legislation in the UK, so we are left with what? BBC watchdog programs and the press? I won't hold my breath.

cheers from London,
Rick

mike--- mike.. Feb 27, 2006, 08:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
He he, Rick, i know the feeling, a million small screws, a lot of protection surface that has to be just where u left it and some speaker, sd-card, and led light wires that are surprisingly easy to break and surprisingly hard to get a hold of ... As far as i know, the vaio was only sold in us/uk, mine has a English keyboard layout even, but a eu psu..

Joe K Feb 27, 2006, 10:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 27, 2006, 10:02pm EST

Quote: Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Thank you all for your answers....

Joe,

I have a FX270 with all the sympthoms of the memory slot problem, taking off one of the modules helped somehow, but I would like to have it fixed, can I arrange that with you?

With respect to the S260 with motherboard replaced, is the fault obvious by just looking at it? I have opened it again when I got it back and the motherboard looks exactly the same, same heatsink on top of the graphic chip, etc... I wouldnt feel right if the mobo has not been revisioned.....

All the best,
Roberto
-----------------------------------------------------------

Roberto,

The FX repair can be arranged with us, as for the S260, the problem areas are not viewable with the naked eye. Please keep us posted as to the reliablity of your S series.

Thanks,

Joe Kabalan
Mark Weiss Feb 27, 2006, 10:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just to add my support to what rick mantle said, I have had my GRX560 back from repair by Joe Kabalan for about three months now, and it continues to operate like it did when new. Not one problem. 100% reliable, even running Windows Media Encoder 24/7 at near 100% CPU utilization, the machine chugs along as reliably as my refrigerator.
Temporary workarounds mentioned here are just that--temporary. If the memory problem appears, don't wait six months to get it fixed. Send it in at the earliest possible time. You'll thank yourself for saving months of headaches and frustration.
Joe does great work. Very professional staff, and no delays, at least in my case. Less than a week, round trip.

Miriam Cuevas Feb 28, 2006, 03:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Joe, and everybody else in the world with this same stupid problem.

I have a VAIO GRX560.
Last year I had the boot problem. It was a hot afternoon and I thought (at that time) because of the heat the motherboard burned. So, of course I took the computer to Sony, they changed the motherboard and I paid a lot of money to get my computer back.

A while ago I started to experience RAM problems. I have two modules of 256, but apparently only one is working.

I have tried cleaning the slots, changing the cards, etc, but those were only temporary solutions. Again, I took it to Sony, and amazingly they said when they turn on the computer both memories were working...

The thing is, I'm writing this post 'cause I want to be completely sure my problem can be fix.
I live in Chile (South America, in case you don't know where is that) so all the shipping matter is a big issue for me.

Thanks for you answer, and good luck to you all guys.

Miriam

Michael Chambers Feb 28, 2006, 06:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a sony pcg-fx340 that has been dead for a couple years. I am happy to have found this forum but not surprised to see so many others were ripped off by sony. I believe my problem is more than the ram slots as i have no power at all (no lights, no nothing). Power adapter is fine.

I was hoping someone could tell me wether a sony pcg-f340 board would work in my pcg-fX340.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work.

Joe K Feb 28, 2006, 09:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Michael,

No, the F340 is completely different from the FX340. You need any FX board from any FX200 / 300 series. The FX100 series may work as well as a last resort.

Joe Kabalan
Chil Mar 01, 2006, 05:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? possible free solution for some!
Many thanks to Bruce

(Bruce
http://www.sparkybruce.com)

Who kindly did some research on my VGN S1HP and discovered that Sony are repairing/replacing the motherboards on these models (out of warranty).

So, on Bruce's advice, I spent an hour on the phone to Sony yesterday, and as a result my laptop is being collected today and will be returned repaired in 7 days, free of charge--as long as the damage was not caused by other factors......... (like my, in frustration, having beat it up so frequently!)

Watch this space!

SparkyBruce Mar 01, 2006, 05:39am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Chil , that's excellent news.

One of the four that failed at work they originally charged us for the repair - then out of the blue we got a full refund for the repair......

I don't know if this is only Sony UK doing this , and if you were on the phone for an hour they didn't accept responsability for it easily.

Great news.

Bruce

Chil Mar 01, 2006, 05:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bruce

As soon as I said 'VGN S1HP' it was merely a question of him taking personal and laptop details; the hour was Sony bureaucracy-- he didn't quibble, despite the fact that warranty expired in August 2005! I suspect that all of the models with motherboard problems would be repaired under the same terms?

Thanks again for all your help! So appreciated!

Chil

Dennis Carmen Mar 02, 2006, 02:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello, I have a Sony Vaio PCG-NV170 laptop that I am unable to use because two of my RAM slots have shorted out (the now common issue), causing problems with the motherboard and no picture. I have contacted Sony and asked why they dont own up to the bad RAM slot problem, but since my computer is out of warranty, i get the response to pay $270/$600+ to fix the problem. The laptop was receiving power, (green light, orange light from battery) but that is no longer the case. So in addition, i think there is something wrong with one of the power switches or connectors. I replaced the hard drive, but it still is not booting up. I just dont want to throw away a 4 year old computer that costed $2,200 originally. Yeah and never buy anything from Circuit City, that was probably part of my problem. Just wondering if anyone had suggestions? Is the motherboard repairable? And can it be repaired for a reasonable amount < $200? Thanks for your time and I welcome your thoughts. Dennis, Location: Ohio.

Justin Smith Mar 04, 2006, 11:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I bought a SONY VAIO PCG-682L laptop in January 2004. It worked fine until yesterday. it suddently cannot be turned on, I did not change anythng in the laptop.

Could anyone give some suggestion what I should do? Thanks.

Canaan Wong Mar 06, 2006, 04:33am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear all,

I had this same problem where my S Series laptop wouldn't boot 2 months ago. I consulted Joe and he was very helpeful. Unfortunately due to my location, it is very expensive to ship to the US. So I tried a local shop. My experience was NOT GOOD! They said they fixed it at first, but the problem was still there. The second time they fixed it, it all of a sudden shut down within 2 weeks I got the laptop back. They sent it back to me and said they didn't know whats wrong with it, but it now works. It's not the 3rd time, two problems popped up.

1) My original 256MB Sony Ram all of a sudden cannot be detected. I tried to switch spots with my after-market 512 RAM and it wouldn't even boot. At the end, I had to remove the 256MB completely for it to boot properly. Anyone has any thoughts on that?

2) My internal mouse (pointing device) has failed. I was using it one day and the arrow just all of a sudden disappeared. I am using an external mouse now to patch the problem, but would like to get it fixed. Anyone has any insight on that?

I am not even sure who's creating all the problem, whether it is the shop or Sony's hardware is just that fragile. I have never heard of a failing internal mouse pad, but can possibly be I never had a Sony laptop before. All in all, I have had enough computer trouble in the past 2 months that I'm ready to retire my 1.5 yr old laptop. Sad & what a waste of money!

A bit of good news though. I'm hearing more and more that Sony is offering an additional warranty to the laptop owners who are experiencing boot problems. They're offering to replace the motherboard for free even if the 1 year warranty has expired.. If you have a boot problem, check your country;s sony website to see if they have posted anything. You might get it fixed for free! Otherwise, I'm sure Joe can provide a good fix.

Any insight on the above 2 problems would be appreciated.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.