Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1099 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:42pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Joe K Feb 05, 2004, 04:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 14, 2004, 02:11pm EDT

>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Mas,

The language of the OS does not make any difference in regards to the problem. You now may have a CPU problem. Either way, we should be able to take care of it for you.

Thanks,

Joe K

AQS Computer Services
aqs12@adelphia.net

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
d k Feb 05, 2004, 09:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've solved the no-boot problem on my GRX500K (Win2000). Had similar symptoms to everyone here.

First the sad part. Spent ~8 hours over 3 days with Sony support as things got worse and worse. At the end it was the same story - Send us your out of warranty PC, 7-10 days, ~$700+shipping - you know the drill.

I didn't have any heat shrink wire wrapas others have suggested but I did have a sheet of thin cork which i bought some time ago at Michael's which is a US chain arts & crafts store. the cork is about the same thickness as you'd find on the bottom of a coaster.

Cut two pieces of the cork each slightly smaller than the chips (which I confess I did replace - maybe I'll take them out and try the old ones but now I have to finish a project for a customer.)

Each piece was set on top of a chip & the cover screwed back on. It bulges ever so slightly, but who cares.

My machine booted right up. Right now I'm happy and didn't have to send my computer away.

Bob Stekeur Feb 05, 2004, 11:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Putting something under the memory cover seems to be a temporary fix and as it seems by doing so you take the chance of cooking your cpu. I had mine repaired before that happened and only cost 149+freight. Seems to work fine now.

John Doey Feb 06, 2004, 02:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 12, 2008, 02:23pm EDT

>> none

Steve Leininger Feb 06, 2004, 09:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The cardboard/heat shrink/dead animal stuffed in the memory slot area works because it helps push the memory socket pins back into place on the motherboard. While this worked for a while in my situation, the problem returned as the pins moved, oxidized, or whatever. The only real solution was to have the offending faulty solder joints resoldered, best done with a "Surface Mount Rework Station" and should only be done by someone who feels "comfortable" with the intricate soldering operation necessary. I soldered mine the first of January (see earlier post in this list) AND IT STILL WORKS!!

Can the jamming stuff in the memory slot area cause further damage? My guess is "yes it can." The possibility of shorting something between the memory module and the motherboard exists. Also, there may be damage caused by continued operation with intermittent connections based on which connections have failed. Short circuits and other electrical problems in the memory socket area could cause damage to the CPU or more likely, some of the fancy surface mount system controller chips on the motherboard. The real fix for most of the Sony owners on this site is fixing the memory socket.

I did the repair myself, but am not properly equipped to fix other Sony's. Joe K seems to have a lot of success, so you might check him out at AQS Computer Services (contact@laptopbios.com).

John Munro Feb 06, 2004, 12:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Have to agree with the post before this, I tried all these "tricks", they only work for a short time. Would advise you just take the hit and remove the memory from slot 2. If your like me I cant afford the soldering job and as I live in Scotland dont know where it can be done anyway. I am living with 256 in slot one, at least it is very stable now.

regards

John

Steve Leininger Feb 06, 2004, 12:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The problem socket in my GRX570 was memory slot #1, so the often used "remove one memory module and live with just one" scheme did not work on my machine. Some of you guys are luckier than I am ;-) .

Daniel Racine Feb 06, 2004, 04:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same story with a GRX550.
Same runaround and denial from Sony Customer Sevrvices.
If somebody decide to go ahead with the Class Action suit, I'm in... I signed the petition already.
Sony is on my black list and I'll make sure to spread the word around.

P.S. Anybody interested to buy a lot of Sony products? I have a load of Sony products (notebooks, miniDV cam, digital cam, PDA, mobile phone, stereo, sound surround system, TV, accessories, etc.) that I want to get out of my place ;)

Belinda Marchand Feb 06, 2004, 04:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There's a petition for a class action lawsuit? Where do I sign in?

--B.

Heather Warner Feb 07, 2004, 10:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also have the GSX550 and as of this weekend it will only boot if I physically push down the plate over the memory and even then it only stays functional for a few minutes. I've tried removing both chips and testing both slots separately and it looks like I'm one of the lucky ones with two broken slots.

I gave Sony a call and got a tech that almost spoke English. He "had never heard of that happening but would be sure to make a notation". I also got the $700 repair offer and when I pointed out the online petition, he "had no knowledge of that but thank you for reporting the issue". In a fit of hostility I emailed the gist of the issue to an online law firm that evaluates potential class action suits. I encourage all of you to send your complaints to them so that maybe we can get some speed behind this issue.

http://www.bigclassaction.com/submit_form.html

Good luck everybody.

JennyLynn K Feb 08, 2004, 04:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I posted my information at the link Heather posted above. I used "Computer/Technology" as my "Type" of complaint.

Just wanted everyone to know that Sony repaired my GRX560 and it is working fine (right now). I honestly have no trust in this laptop, but I feel guilty selling it knowing that it could conk out on the next person. I guess I'll keep it until it dies. Since my warranty ends Mar 31st, it shouldn't be much longer now....

I still have no idea what Sony did to repair it. I called the Tech Line and after about 20 minutes of speaking to a man who speaks English as a second language and getting NOWHERE, I finally said to "Forget it." He ended the conversation with "Well thank you for calling Sony's Technical Support. If you get the invoice and it is not printed on there what repairs were done, please call this number back and I will try to figure out what was done." I hated to tell him that that is EXACTLY why I had called in the first place!!! It just wasnt' worth it. Ugh.

the "Avon Lady" :)
Jochen M. Feb 09, 2004, 03:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi!
I bought my Sony PCG-GRX 316G in July 2002. Early this year it started to get the same issues discussed here - it simply doesn't boot anymore. At the time I bought it there was only one year of warrenty and it seems like Sony Germany won't repair it for free - despite that the issues depicted here seem to be specific for this model and not caused by improper use by me.

It would be great if there were any complaints/articles in some magazines dealing with this! This would greatly improve our/my chance to have it repaired without additional costs.

Bye, Jochen.

Justin Matthews Feb 09, 2004, 03:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well it looks like I am another in the "screwed by sony" club. I have an NV170 that I bought in August of 2002 that I have had several problems with, the latest being the aforementioned boot problems. My sob story is as follows: 2 weeks after I purchased the computer the keyboard stopped working. I took it into compUSA and they told me about the Sony warranty and that it would go to them. I still thought that Sony was a quality product and they were a good company so my $2000 investment was ok. through several this that and the others, it was 2 weeks before I found out that I had to pay $250 to replace the keyboard becasue it was "customer damage" and not covered under warranty. another 2 weeks went by with many problems and my computer was still sitting at sony becasue they could not get all of the paperwork and credit card authorizations and other stuff in a pile that anyone could make sense out of. I finally got it back nearly 6 weeks after I took it in, repaired enev though they said it wasn't. I dodged a bullet there. Everything was fine until January of this year when 2 of my USB ports shorted out, the plastic on the cover broke and messed up the hinge and a foot broke off. Out of Sony warranty, my extended warranty covered the USB ports but not the cover or the foot. Those were all "customer damage". Comp USA wanted $85 to replace EACH FOOT! I have since found them on the net for about $15 a piece! What a rip off! They also wanted $300 to replace the hinge and the case. I modified and fixed the lid and hinge myself with no problems. Then I take my computer off of the shelf where it has been for 3 days and it wont boot! then it will kind of boot, then not, then will and freeze. I lost a day of work and was convinced I had a virus that knocked out my boot sector. I was looking for prices of a new hard drive when I found this forum. I am glad I decided not to bother with Sony customer service yet becasue the shim technique seems to be working. It looks like Joe K will be getting some more business soon. I, like others, have several Sony products and bought the laptop on that reputation and that of some other people who have vaio laptops. Big Mistake. I was planning on using this computer for several years and now I just hope it can get me through school before I go put some bullet holes in it. I don't like the idea that my $2000 laptop is only working due to the grace of 2 business cards. What a joke, I will never be buying sony again. Thanks for all of the support on here, you saved me time and money!

Kenny D Feb 09, 2004, 06:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 09, 2004, 06:36pm EST

People. Please go fill out the form at http://www.bigclassaction.com

Heather Warner Feb 09, 2004, 07:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi again all. Has anyone heard from the classactionsuit website? I was smart enough to submit my email address which for now can only be accessed by the craptop so I can't check.

I've seen several folks who have used business cards and whatnot to hold the chips down. Is this relatively safe and unlikely to burn the house down? If so I'd really like to see my email again before burying the computer in the back yard.

Thanks all!

Kenny D Feb 09, 2004, 08:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have heard nothing from http://www.bigclassaction.com and I filled out the form on Jan 16th 2004. Rather sad huh? Maybe if they see more people filling out the form they will act faster. Check it out people. Click on the link.

KennyD

Heather Warner Feb 09, 2004, 08:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the update, Kenny. I managed to get into my email and I don't have anything yet either. I think tomorrow I'm going to start calling around and getting some legal advice. The general consensus from people I've talked to is that this is a giant waste of time but I'm just angry enough to make a big scene about it. If you guys have any other suggestions for getting something going, let me know. PMS and a broken laptop is a bad, bad mix.

John Doey Feb 09, 2004, 09:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I posted earlier about RAM problems with slot 2 on my PCG-FX300...

Anyways, I've taken out the RAM in slot 2 which seems to have stopped the
RAM fluctuations, for now at least.

But I occasionally still get a drop in my CPU proccessing speed from 933 Mhz to 695 Mhz.
(It is a P3 1Ghz)

This doesn't happen ever on my *non-sony* desktop. Any insights?

Once again, thanks for the time and money saved by posting on this board.

Joe K Feb 09, 2004, 10:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 14, 2004, 02:11pm EDT

Jared,

The FX series uses speedstep technology, that means when the system is on Battery power, it switches the CPU speed to save battery power. This could be the reason you're seeing the varying speed..

Everyone,

Over the past few weeks, I've seen many people post comments about the Vaio FX and various other models. I would like to make a comment about the "other models".

The FX series also has two RAM slots. These slots are completely independent of each other. Now, that does not mean if you have a bad memory module in slot one that the system will boot with memory in slot two. What this means is the two slots are not piggy backed in the circuit like they are in the GRX and FXA / FX210/215 models.

Slot 1 on the FX series (all except FX210/215) is located toward the back of the system. Slot 2 is the slot located toward the front of the system. Slot 2 will usually accept high density RAM modules and PC133 modules on occasion. Slot 1 is not so giving. Slot 1 does have a problem with the solder welds on about 30% of the models I've seen. Slot two on the FX series (all except FX210/215) is securely soldered and I have never seen a problem except when the pins were damaged by user intervention.

For the FXA / FX210/215 I have rarely seen an issue with these RAM slots. What that means is I can count on one hand the RAM slot repairs.

Joe K

AQS Computer Services
aqs12@adelphia.net

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
John Doey Feb 09, 2004, 11:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe K,

Thanks for your reply. I should have clarified in my earlier msg that I
knew about the speed step technology and that my problem? occurs
when the computer is plugged in and set to the maximum performance
setting. Given this, any input?

Thanks again.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.