Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1183 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:47pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Tom Pappas Mar 15, 2006, 02:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Pressing down MOMENTARILY on the memory socket works in about 70% of the machines we see
Pressing down PERMANENTLY by stuffing something between the cover and sockets RUINS about 15% of the machines we see.

Don't do it.

Tom
http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
melinda anderson Mar 16, 2006, 03:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hi there,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-A series. It's shown the same problems that everyone else has described. I sent it away for repair and have been told that it's a motherboard fault. The repair agent told me that it would cost £600 to replace, or if I went through Sony, it would cost £800.

Has anyone heard of Sony replacing the motherboard on this model free of charge. The laptop is about 18 months old and cost me £1500.

I would appreciate any help or advice that you can give.

Mel

SparkyBruce Mar 16, 2006, 03:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello , the model that I know has had the out of warranty repairs in the UK is the VGN-S1HP.

It's allways worth giving sony a call as the VGN series have a different motherboard fault (in the video circuit) that's far harder than the memory socket repair to do.

Joe in the US can do it, I can only fix the memory sockets at the moment (but I am investigating the VGN repair).

Bruce

Chartered Electronics Engineer
Designer I/P Set top boxes (Amino)
UK repair of Vaio memory sockets

http://www.sparkybruce.com
http://www.vaiorepair.co.uk
Peter Cappello Mar 16, 2006, 09:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I didnt want to go through all 70 pages. I have a GRZ610 and I cleaned the heatsink thoroughly. The laptop still overheats before I can finish reinstalling windows. It has a 2ghz P4, I tried a 2.5Celeron chip and a 2.4P4 chip and it still overheats. I tried a different hard drive to no avail as well. What else can be causing this annoying overheating problem? The heatsink seems to be working fine, should I try to switch it out?

Tom Pappas Mar 16, 2006, 09:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 16, 2006, 09:56pm EST

I've had a couple of those where the bars that conduct the heat from the CPU pad to the radiator have lost contact with the radiator. The solution is to re-solder them.

Tom

Peter Cappello Mar 16, 2006, 10:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I didnt think it would work but I tried a different heatsink and viola up and running smoothly.

Tom Pappas Mar 19, 2006, 06:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You didn't think it would work?!

Oh, ye of little faith... ;-)

Alan Ford Mar 20, 2006, 09:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe,
After reading some of letters on h/w analysis forum regarding sony vaio problems, I would like if you could help me as I have a simmilar problem with PCG-V505BP as it is no booting any more.
It started a few weeks ago with sudden crash and blue screen and after rebooting it work for some time but in the end it just could not boot any more, just when I press switch on it light up for 2 sec. and turns off and after trying for several times then suddenly it light up and stays with lights on/green and orange and cannot switches off- only taking a ac power out.
I tried to clean a memory sticks and also put a foamto press a memory near motherboard but it doesnt help, also tried to take off the battery for a week and it worked only for a minute and there was a sony logo and could get to bios setup but just for short time and then again its same problem, so I am thinking is it actually a memory problem or could be a video card/temperature.
Originaly when I bought a laptop it had problem with video/water damaged but after a good cleaning it worked for a year without any problem, so if you have any idea what else to check and what component, please let me know.
By the way I also tried to change a memory and CPU- no help. And finally having problem with battery as there is a voltage on battery cells but it does not go through mini board, any idea what could be wrong.
Looking forward to hear from you.
P.S. I am in UK, London and even thinking of sending a laptop to you but first I will try some other options.

Regards

C R Mar 21, 2006, 06:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't see anyone with the same problem I have, so I hope I'm not being repeptitive.
I have had my Sony Vaio pcg-v505dx for 2 years with minimal problems. The cdr wont make cd's and sometimes i have to jigle the power cord forever for it to finally work, but besides that and it being a little slow sometimes, its been pretty good.

About 2 nights ago I was playing a game on my computer and it was getting very hot. So hot in fact that I couldnt even pick it up because it was burning up. I had it next to my blanket so I dont know if it was able to try and fan itself out. I promptly turned the game off and turned my computer off to let it cool. I should also say that im in italy and plugged into that kind of currency.
When i tried to turn it on the next morning, nothing. No whirring sound or screen flashing on and shutting off, nothing. and even worst when I plugged in the ac adapter (that had its little green light on to show it was ready to give out power) the computer didnt show that it was recieving any kind of power from it (the light light didnt come on saying it was charging).

Now in the last month or so, sometimes I would get a message when I turned my comp on saying it had just recovered from a serious problem, but I could never send it in because getting my comp to connect over in italy is hard.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem now?

Victor Hackney Mar 21, 2006, 08:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi! CR.
Your Quote 1.
The cdr wont make cd's and sometimes i have to jigle the power cord forever for it to finally work, but besides that and it being a little slow sometimes, its been pretty good.
Your Quote 2.
So hot in fact that I couldnt even pick it up because it was burning up. I had it next to my blanket so I dont know if it was able to try and fan itself out. I promptly turned the game off and turned my computer off to let it cool. I should also say that im in italy and plugged into that kind of currency. Unquote>
*****************************************************************************************************************************
It has been posted quite often on here by me and others,regarding using a Laptop, on soft furnishing,in bed, and on thick pile carpets.This tends to clog-up the cooling fans, and in the long term leads to serious damage to various components inside the Laptop.
What I cannot comprehend is why you constantly fiddles the power lead, and why you did not investigate this earlier. A lead which has intermittent connection can also cause "flash-back) and spiking of the current to the Laptop which inevitably leads to internal component failiure.
In my opinion, and with the greatest respect, I suggest you take it to a competent service agent, for
checking and cleaning internally, but first ask for a quotation as to cost,(Blowing out with canned air in this instance would most likely disperse the apparently obvious internal contamination.

I would give instructions for cleaning, but in view of your remarks "fiddling with the cable"etc:I do not think you are "au-fait" with delving into the computer. I would again suggest you get a report on the condition of the laptop.
No doubt other posters will suggest blowing out with compressed air, but from your description and your apparent lack of general knowlege, could aggravate the situation if not done in a logical manner..

Best Wishes
Kind Regards
Vic Uk.

All forces are equal and opposite
Blacktop Traveler Mar 22, 2006, 02:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello all, I am one of the many who got screwed by Sony. For me it was not only my Laptop (which failed 2 summers ago) but also my Mini Disk player, a DVD player, and my VCR. Seems they all died shortly after the warranty expired. Fortunetly, my 51" TV that went green ony three months after purchase was still covered.

Well, that's enough of my rant I guess. I learned my lesson and I don't buy Sony anymore.

My question is...

I have allowed my laptop (PCG-GR370) to sit for a year. But now I am curious to know if there is a solid resolution the to Sony boot problems?

For those of you who had your notebooks repaired, is the repair still holding?

What is the cost of repair?

Any help would be appreciated as I intend to either get this unit fixed, or just buy a new (definitely non-Sony) laptop soon.

Tom Pappas Mar 23, 2006, 11:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Constance -

"Driver Error" sounds like software to me. Can you start it in Safe Mode? Have you tried repairing or reloading the Operating System?

Tom

Ali D Mar 24, 2006, 07:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Had overheating issues with my Vaio GRT796SP (p4 2.5/1gb/80gb/gf go 5600). I cleaned the dust from the heasinks and fans, and replaced the thermal compound, and now the blue screens and continuous reboots have stopped.

However, the machine still felt sluggish and didn't feel as responsive as previsouly. I reformated the drive and resinstalled windows, however, it still feels slow, and windows seems to take a lot longer to start than before.

I thought maybe some hardware had been damaged by the overheating, so I downloaded "performance test 6.0" from http://www.passmark.com and ran the full benchmark test. When comparing my results with the built in sample results, the hard drive scores gave cause for concern:
Disk Random Seek: 1.37
Disk Sequential Read: 12.4
Disk Sequential Write: 24.9

Write seems ok, but read seems far too low, even 7 year old p3s were getting double that. Random seek was also the lowest of all the scores I checked and it was very well beaten by similar spec machines.

To get to my point, I need to know if the scores are typical accross all sony laptops or if my machine has a problem. Would anyone who has a similar spec vaio be willing to download the software and post back the results?

Even if you can't do a benchmark, what do people think of the scores? If they are too low would a new hard drive solve it (seagate momentus 7200k ?) or could the hard drive controller on the motherboard be faulty?

james baker Mar 24, 2006, 10:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a GRX-560 notebook that is dead. Does anyone know what is the function of the twenty conductor flat ribbon cable that goes from the motherboard to the power / battery board? It was really bent up. It looks lke two of the outside traces on part of the cable have been abraded. Will a problem with the cable keep the laptop from booting? The cable has twenty conductors. The main 8A fuse is OK but I can't go any farther. I'd like to fix this if I can get some troubleshooting info.

THX

Tom Pappas Mar 25, 2006, 10:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ali -

Is your CPU running at full speed? The list of things that affect the processor clock is too long to get into here, but if the OS thinks any of several conditions pertains, it will throttle the CPU to save battery. You can see the current speed in the System Properties sheet (Windows key + Break).

Tom

William Copland Mar 25, 2006, 11:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi James,

From my knowledge of desktops, that sounds like the main power cable that takes power from the battery/PSU to the motherboard, I would tihnk that if this is damaged it would stop the laptop from booting as this is the main power supply,

Hope this helps,

William

james baker Mar 25, 2006, 07:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks William,

The power / battery board has a connector on the bottom that plugs directly into the motherboard. I think that one carries the power. The ribbon cable is damaged but I can't troubleshoot without further info.

THX

Sachin Chorey Mar 26, 2006, 02:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Chil/Bruce,

I am facing similar prob with my vaio, PCG - GRX560 K model. After reading your post I called sony support and talked to them abt this problem but they said there is no such known issue highlighted for my model and said i will have to bear the service charges(out of warranty) Which vaoi model did sony fixed for your (free of charge) ?
The customer support guy told me that if I can get the sony support incident/event number which described your problem, he might be able to get more info and help me out. So can you please provide me same ? It wud be really helpful.

Thanks again!
Sachin.

Chris Madeson Mar 29, 2006, 01:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
JoeH – I can recommend you avoid Seattle Laptop.

The staff are know nothing know it alls, patronizing and genuinely clueless. I asked them if they knew how to fix this issue with this laptop and pointed them to this very thread. They said - “no problem we charge $100 if we can’t do it and $200 if we can”.

After a few days they called they also told me they’d figured out what was wrong with it – the hard drive wasn’t working correctly! An incorrect diagnosis and one which I specifically told them not to do. I told them to please just solder the memory slots to the motherboard.

Eventually (3 days later than the 2 weeks they promised it would take) one of their “techs” called me and asked if I wanted this new hard drive or not. I asked him again to just do the soldering. He called me back after about half and hour and said he the traces had lifted from the board and he couldn’t fix it – he put some rubber under the memory panel to keep the slots pushed in (the business card trick – a temporary solution I had been using for a couple of weeks).

I was charged 2 hours labor for this (way more than $100 and breaking our original agreement) the owner was point-blank rude to me when I pointed this out.

My laptop still doesn’t boot.

One of the reasons they cited for my job taking so long was the large number of machines they take in every day for repair. I really hope by posting about my experience dealing with them I can change this because its businesses like this that give engineers a bad name.

Tom Pappas Mar 29, 2006, 04:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> "$100 if we don't fix it..."
Hey, send it to me and I won't fix it for only $50 - a 50% saving!

(Actually, our deal is: we fix it or no charge.)

Tom

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.