Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1189 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:41pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Tom Pappas Apr 16, 2006, 06:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 16, 2006, 06:27pm EDT

>> These defects don't typically show up for a couple of years...
so if it's a newish model, any sudden-death syndrome probably hasn't appeared yet. But based on Sony's reputation for quality and support, I wouldn't pay any significant amount for a Vaio.

Tom

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
David Kessler Apr 16, 2006, 07:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hi Tom,
Believe me--I didn't want to buy a Sony. My daughter REALLY liked the machine and didn't care for Toshibas or HPs. My question was whether this machine had the same problems we've seen from other Sony systems.

I hope you won't see her machine, but since she's going to be in Phoenix for the next two years you may well get her repairs.
David

Precieux Precieux Apr 17, 2006, 01:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just wondering if this is isolated to Sony Vaio?

I own a Toshiba and had severe overheating problems and had my hard disk changed 3 times (damaged due to overheating). Also have friends who had overheating problems leading to either a hard disk failure (leading to replacement), or changing damaged Rams. All of us have different models of Toshiba.

rohan vaswani Apr 19, 2006, 05:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
"OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND"

hello everyone. i see that there are a lot of sony vaio problems. i have a pcg-fx150. this is the second place i have come for help, i first went to andother forums. over there i already have 4 pages of a topic and have tried some of what i may have tried here. please dont ignore its actually kinda interesting. here is the link :

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114796

if anyone has ideas post it there or here it will not matter to me but pleeease post. i would copy an paste but its really long. i feel ive tried everything but i know theres still hope.

i am not able to create the C partitions, and this is my biggest problem.

jacobson sonny Apr 22, 2006, 02:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> How to dissemble the viao
Hi,

Is there anywhere i can go online to see step by step tutorial on how to dissemble my viao laptop.

My laptop just refuses to power on and sony wants to charge amount i just don't have. The warranty ironically ended 3 weeks ago.

Please let me

Tom Pappas Apr 22, 2006, 04:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> There are about six gazillion models
And they all are put together differently. Why do you think disassembling it will help, anyway?

Tom

jacobson sonny Apr 24, 2006, 09:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi,

so i can get the cmos battery out and try the memory trick stuff. the laptop isn't powering up

SparkyBruce Apr 24, 2006, 09:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello , which model vaio is your one?

Thanks

Bruce

Chartered Electronics Engineer
Designer I/P Set top boxes (Amino)
UK repair of Vaio memory sockets

http://www.sparkybruce.com
http://www.vaiorepair.co.uk
jacobson sonny Apr 24, 2006, 10:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
have a sony Viao pcg-v505dc2 model. i brought it brand new just a year ago. now it just doesn't power on. The battery is fully charged. It is just not powering on..

jacobson sonny Apr 25, 2006, 04:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 25, 2006, 04:54pm EDT

i guess i am screwed, no one wants to help with my v505 model. I will just leave it there and keep my fingers crossed, perhaps in 2 weeks it will turn on. Even temporary i will be happy. i am extremely depressed it came during final exams and paper time. what have i done to the it god??? why me

Terje Saether Apr 30, 2006, 07:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just upgraded my BIOS on the SZ90 and although it said the upgrade was ok the machine will not turn on, no lights etc.... Do any one know if the SZ series have the same problems with upgrading and 2nd memory ?

Juan Valle May 05, 2006, 10:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Any Help will be deeply appreciated.

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K23 that I bought in the U.S. and recently just wont boot; it freezes at the progress bar at the welcome screen.

So I tried to start from the safe mode, and I did it, I was able to get in the system and backup my files. The next step I tried to do was to use the system recovery wizard to make some recovery discs, but it didnít worked, at least not in safe mode. So I ran other option in the recovery wizard, in order to restore the system to the original (or factory) settings. So it ran the "recovery" but it couldnít boot, and after that, when I tried to use the safe mode I couldnít, it asked me to run the setup again....so I was pretty screwed.

After a little thinking (and believe me, Iím not even good in this computer stuff), I decided to install the Win xp pro (it comes with win xp home) I repartitioned the hard drive, leaving only the 5gb in which the computer stores the files that came with it. Then I could access the system, and from there I could make the 8 recovery cd's.

So I ran the recovery cd's, so that it would install the original partition and files, leaving the 5 GB partition untouched, but at the end, the computer just wonít boot.

So I need help, I donít know if a complete format would do the job (including the 5 gb, that may be corrupt), I donít have the slightest idea on how to proceed, I donít know if this model also has the No.2 slot ram card problem (I remove them in different combinations and it still the same). I just donít know what to do.

Please somebody help me!!!!!....Joe?...Tom?.....

Berry Williams May 09, 2006, 12:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Greetings, all. Thought I'd join the fray. I have a pcg-f520 that hangs during boot. Tried several reformats, different windows versions, original restore disks, and all of them get to some point and hang. I'm starting to suspect the audio system is causing the problem, but it's just a guess, and would appreciate any input. The machine will run flawlessly on DOS, just hangs loading windows (safe mode or otherwise). Any thoughts?

Bj

A N May 09, 2006, 12:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE!!!!
My Sony Vaio PCG GRX 570 is starting up but my screen is black. This started about a month ago. I would shut down my Vaio a few times and it would boot up. But not anymore. I turn on the power button and the yellow light for the battery comes on but the light for the hard drive dose not come on. The screen is black. On top of that my warrant just expired. Help please HELP

jacobson sonny May 09, 2006, 05:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

honestly we should pursue the class action against sony. Why do the vaio always stopped from booting just shortly after the warranty expired. Mime did just 3 weeks after the warranty expired. I gave up.

Tom Pappas May 12, 2006, 09:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ARAZ -

Try this: unplug the AC, the battery, and the CMOS battery for a few days. Then plug them back in and see if anything changes.

Tom
http://www.vaioshutdown.com

david rufus May 13, 2006, 12:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have had two sony vaio tx series notebooks. the first took the better part of a year to die, and the second took three months. i sent both back and sony replaced the first , leading to the second, which they managed to repair. this second repaired laptop has just died again. i am sick to death of sony, if it wasnt for warranty i would be in some very hot water indeed. i just wish i could get my money back and buy a decent laptop

Ian Taylor May 17, 2006, 10:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Help

I have had my vaio for around a year now, and no problems, around 2 days ago it started to take for ever to boot up and then runs very slow. Is this a HD problem, as it does actually boot up but just is no use. Unit is a VGN fs215z running with 1 Gb of memory.

Any advice would be most grateful.

Ian

A N May 17, 2006, 11:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tom it boots when it is turned off for a few days, after I turn it off it dose not boot up again.
Could it be the HD's arm? The reason why I ask is because every time that I try to start my vaio, I can hear the HDís arm making a scratching noise for about a second but it dose not start. The green light or the battery comes on, but the light for the HD dose not.
I have already maxed the RAM to 512 in both slots but with no luck. I am running out of options.

Tom Pappas May 22, 2006, 02:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Araz - If the computer is working at all, you should see the SONY logo on the screen shortly after you turn on the power. If your hard drive is defective, you will then see a message Operating System Not Found.

If you immediately hit the F2 key after seeing the logo, it should go into BIOS maintenance mode and you see the configuration screens. If this is not happening, you have some other problem than a HDD failure.

Tom
http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.