Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1076 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:03am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
meeyi mee May 22, 2006, 03:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
my ac adapter gets so hot that it burns any plastic paper. Could it be the motherboard? i once had a problem when it did not boot up, i left it there to rest for 3 weeks, came back and it turned on. but won't work with the ac alone, it shuts down, it has to have a battery on.

could it be a faulty motherboard?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
German Parra May 24, 2006, 09:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

This is directed to either Tom Pappas or Joe Kabalan.

I own a PCG-GRV670 I bought it in 2003 while i lived in Boston, it worked fine for about a year and a half until i started having the memory slot issue. That's when i came across this board and post and became certain that was my problem (I'm quite computer savy so after i read all this i was pretty sure). However after that year i came back to where i lived. Chile, in south america, I could not find anyone who could fix this issue in Chile, and even though i read Tom had helped somebody through shipping the computer and all, i did not want to risk overseas shipping and the cost of doing it was going to match replacing the motherboard by Sony support in Chile.

So i did, after my old motherboard fried one of my two 512MB SODIMM's i took it to the sonny service and spent nearly 500 bucks getting the motherboard replaced.

I knew it would last about a year and a half but i had no choice.

Now it finally happened again. This time i removed the SODIMM from the 2nd slot so it won't fry and i'm running my computer with one 512MB SODIMM in slot 1.

This time I have a trip to the United States planned, and it's happening June 9th to June 24th.

I would like to have my computer repaired while I'm there, however I'm flying to Los Angeles and San Francisco, and i would like to arrange shipping and repairing in a short period of time if possible.

If either of you would be so kind to help me out, I'd appreciate you contacting me through email and sending me a phone and times of the day i can call, so i can give you a call through Skype and figure things out.

I have the old motherboard i replaced, perhaps that can be repaired as well, or perhaps you can repair it and keep it as a part of payment.

Thanks.
Germán Parra.
gparra@usa.net

ANdrew Lim May 25, 2006, 09:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi, ive also got a problem with my VAIO pcg v505 ntp! i bought in my country in taiwan, and came here in london to finish my studies... yesterday, i ve just upgraded my memory from 512 to 1.5gb... which i bought a 1gb Crucial memory SO DIMM and put it in the second slot with the 512 on the first slot... after upgrading, it works very fine... i was so happy with it.. and right after i woke up this morning, tried to open it to play some games... eventually nothing happens!!!! im so helpless.. tried removing batteries etc... etc the CMOS battery cuz i dont know how to remove CMOS... the LED doesn light at all even when the plug is in! nothing in the LED lights... whats the cause of this? is it static? i dont think so... if its static, it shouldnt work last night after i install it right? but why? help!!!! if somebody can help me out... plz do email me at drew_viii@yahoo.com

or just post it here, ill be checking on this site... tnx for your help

May 25, 2006, 09:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I disagree 100%.

Tara Powell May 30, 2006, 11:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a sony vaio s260, which I bought about a year ago. Its a refurbished model, so there's no warranty on it. The other day, I went to start it up, and the inital Vaio logo came on, but then the screen went blank and I couldn't do anything else with it. I've tried it a couple of times,a nd still no luck. Should Itry system recovery? I'm reluctant to do that b/c I have a lot of important things on the laptop that haven't been backed up, and I don't know if it would doa ny good anyways. Please give me some advice! Thanks!!!

Joe K May 31, 2006, 07:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
German Parra,

I believe we spoke on the telephone. Nice chatting with you.

Tara,

The VGN-S series does not suffer from the RAM slot problem. I'm not sure if a system restore will resolve your issue. There is a well known video problem that surrounds the S series. Have you ever experienced an freeze ups and or video driver error messages within Windows?

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Tara Powell May 31, 2006, 11:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No, I've never had any other problems with it until now. I remember reading on another forum somewhere about dust getting into the fan and causing it to overheat, so I thought maybe that was the problem, because it had similar symptoms to what they described. The laptop is usually kept on. Do you think that could be it?

Joe K May 31, 2006, 03:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tara,

The same thing happens everytime you power on? You get the Sony logo and goes to a black screen?

Joe Kabalan
A N May 31, 2006, 03:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
To Tom.
thank you for you reply.
I don't get the Sony logo when I start the laptop. The screen is just black. I was told that if I take the DH out and start it up and it the BIOS don't not show then the cause is the motherboard. But if the BIOS show when the HD is out then it is an HD problem. Is this true?

Tara Powell May 31, 2006, 10:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,
Yeah, this happens everytime I power on. The screen goes blank, but the power light and the battery light remain on. I tried to power on while pressing F5,a nd the menu would come up to put it into safe mode, but once I hit enter, it wouldn't do anything, the screen would go blank again. Thanks for your help!

JACK D Jun 09, 2006, 03:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
One night I left my VAIO PCG-v505BX ON connected to my wireless network (Internet)
with the battery inside and connected to the charger all night long
about 8 hrs later I woke up to find the laptop still running and in good
shape, NO problems yet … So I shut the laptop down ..
later that evening I tried to start it up … but no luck .. it was dead!!

I removed the battery and just tried using the charger alone
but it made no difference.. In other words the laptop wont start
with battery or power plug.. no lights .. no sounds ..
no fan spins.. no charging battery light nothing ..

I was thinking it was a fried motherboard or something in that area ..

about 1 week with no laptop I took over to a pc tech
who took about 2 days to tell me I had fried the DC
circuit board or something like that .. anyways he told
me it would be 299.00 .. yeah right … I picked up my
laptop brought it home .. later that night I found this forum
and a post talking about turning the laptop sideway to have
access to the ram slots underneath .. and what do you know
I turn that sucker sideways and bam . we have lift off ..
the laptop booted fine . I didn’t even touch the ram
for some crazy insane reason the laptop turn on just by
turning it sideways ..

So, that goes to show how much a tech tries to rip you off
or how some techs don’t know a damn thing!

Peace

jacobson sonny Jun 09, 2006, 09:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
that's what happened to me, i left it overnight and woke up, shut it down and i stayed 3 weeks without a laptop. I was charged 299 and i said no way, i 'd rather sell it back.

I went got rid of all teh screws inside the machine and up it goes it powered on. However, it doesn't charge the Battery anymore, and when the battery is charging the AC adapter just get so hot that you see smoke coming out of the AC wire.

I am still not sure if it is a Motherboard issue

A N Jun 14, 2006, 07:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony Vaio RAM upgrade question.
For Sony Vaio PCG GRX 570, What's the max amount of RAM each slot can take? I added 256 in each slot (total 512) but when I go and check through systems it still says 256MB. In the manual it says that each slot can be upgraded up to 256MB each to get 512MB, but it dose not seem to work. Is there a way to find out how much RAM dose each slot really take, or what's the RAM in each slot currently? Any help will be much appreciated.
AN

Steve S Jun 15, 2006, 12:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The GRX 570 will accept 512 MB of RAM. If you upgrade to the GRX 770 BIOS it will accept 1GB RAM; to do that read the upgrade instructions at http://p200.ezboard.com/funofficialsonyfrm8.showMessage?topicID=1420.topic

If you have two 256 MB DIMMs but the machine only shows 256MB total, one of the DIMMs or one of the sockets is not working (the GRX 570 is notorious for a failure in socket #2, the one closest to the back of the machine).

A test you can perform to determine if both DIMMs are good is to remove the DIMM from socket #2 (closest to the back of the machine) then boot up, you should see 256 MB RAM. Shut down and swap out the RAM in socket #1 with the one you took out and reboot, you should see 256 MB RAM again, if either of these test fail then you probably have a bad DIMM (the one it wouldn't boot with). If both DIMMs are OK put them both back in and reboot the machine once more. If you still show only 256 MB RAM shut the machine down; you probably have a bad socket #2.

A test for socket #2 that often works, but not always, is to apply a tiny bit of pressure on the DIMM (just enough to torque the socket in the motherboard). One way to do this is to place something NON CONDUCTIVE (paper, rubber band, shrink tube, etc.) near the upper/outer edge of the DIMM in socket #2 before putting the DIMM cover on. (you can read earlier posts in this thread for additional information) the key is not to use to much thickness, something about the thickness of a matchbook cover, or paper back book cover; one person used post it notes a couple thicknesses at a time. THIS IS NOT A PERMANENT SOLUTION ONLY A TEMPORARY TEST/STOP GAP. If this test gets all 512 MB of RAM showing you have confirmed a socket #2 failure. SONY will replace the motherboard for $700 to fix this with another motherboard prone to the same problem.

There are posts in this thread from Tom Papas in Arizona and Joe in New York that have performed repairs for these failures by resoldering the DIMM sockets. Tom recently repaired my GRX 570 and it is now working fine reading all 512 MB of RAM. Thanks Tom!

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Steve

Joe K Jun 15, 2006, 10:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tara,

Give me a call when you get a chance. I have a few questions for you regarding your problem.

Thanks,

Joe Kabalan
Canaan Wong Jun 16, 2006, 12:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I tried the shrink wrap suggestion on the RAM slot #2 and it works like a charm! I thought I fried my new 512 RAM when my S-16 had a loud beep and just froze. The laptop wouldn't bootagain with just the power light on.
After I put some shrink wrap on the RAM chip, it booted again and I once again have 1GB RAM! The shrink wrap solution came just in time. I was just about to replace the laptop with a Dell M640. I still think Sony sucks, but I hope to at least get 1/2 year of it before I write it of.

Thanks for the shrink wrap solution! By the way, RAM slot #1 can get loose too!

Anonymous User Jun 16, 2006, 02:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a slightly different but (I think) related problem. My pcg-gr390 (which i know is an old model) was more or less working fine until the other day when it ran out of power (appeared plug-in but wasn't) and died. Since then I haven't been able to boot windows at all, safe mode or otherwise. I can get to the BIOS and I can get the windows loading screen but otherwise its all blue-screen no-windows frustration.

It seems to have somethign to do with power so I post it here but its different in that its windows and not the computer as a whole. thanks in advance anyone.

Ariel

Graham Scates Jun 17, 2006, 12:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have a related issue, my Vaio Laptop wont boot, seems to have the symptoms of the SODIMM problem...
(Sony Vaio PCG-GRX616MP)

i was using it as usual in the early evening and it froze and produced a critical error and had to shut down.. i clicked okay and that split second later it went to the blue driver failure screen and turned itself straight off just as fast. ive encountered that sceen b4 and no its a hardware/software conflict as i had it on my older computer whenever you recorded or sent audio through the soundcard.
i decided to remove any periferals from my Vaio.. turned the computer back on.. started fine.. logged on and XP told me it had recovered from a critical failure .. sent a report n got one back saying it was a driver issue, although it couldnt tell what driver.
at that point the computer froze and didnt respond to anything except a manual shutdown.
Started fine once again, i thought maybe malicious software/virus, so i ran my spyware and addware finder removed some and ran my virus software on a deep search (up to date) and found nothing.
Again it crashed, manualy shut it down and started it again...

thats when my computer showed all the signes of the SODIMM problem..

main power light coming on, screen not coming on, fans turning on for a half a second b4 spining down and my hard drive working for around 2 seconds then the repetative 3 pulse amber light next to the power light.
i opened the underside plate and switched the RAM, took one out and then swapped it around and changed the RAM cards over and it made no difference. applying pressure did nothing when booting up and i checked the solder connectors using a magnifying glass on my swiss army knife and a safety pin (yah i dont do this often!) and they seemed solid after 4 years!

i thought it may have been the screen so i checked it using a DVI cable and our HDTV and there wasnt any picture coming from the laptop what so ever.

I know there are experts on this forum that can use this to eliminate possible causes and hopefully identify the problem.
i have pulled apart my laptop in case it could be a loose connection but so far eveything it in place and snug.

I need help as i cant afford a new laptop and i need it for my audio engineering course! :'(

Jonathan Kromta Jun 18, 2006, 08:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> My Vaio laptop is dead !
Hello, my Vaio GRT 815M died yesterday (2 years old only). I've turned it off normally then when I turned it on few minutes later nothing happened...

No light, no fan, no noise, nothing at all.

I've tried with or without the battery, I've tried to press the small usual poweron button for 10 seconds.

The power supply seems ok, and delivers 19,5 volts

I've oppened the case, disconnected the keyboard, removed the ide drive, the dvd writer and the fans block. I've mesured the voltage on the motherboard, 19,5 volts so the power connector is not broken...

I had a look at the power on button connector, but nothing seems wrong.

I don't know what to do next... I plan to remove the big "grey" plastic upper part of the case and try to see if I can do something.

Any idea or advice appreciated, I can't afford buying another notebook now and putting it to trash make me sick !

Thanks in advance

Robert Tebo Jun 25, 2006, 10:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey Guys, Im new to the site but Ive been working at a small computer shop for the last year and personally have a NV100 series vaio and guess what?...It has the chip slot issue too and its not my first sony to have this issue. My first one went bust and Best Buy replaced it under a warrenty from them. That ran out last summer and two weeks later my NV chips started acting up. I removed the back chip and its been running on 256mb for a year but its really starting to tick me off. Last wednesday a really nice girl came into where i work and she had a GRX series laptop and it was not booting up. Well i knew just what to do, removed the back chip and bingo working. Ive got a email in to Howard Stringer the CEO of sony to see if they will resolve it or I go to the press with it. Sony will hear our demands its only a matter of time.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.