Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 695 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:23am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Tara Powell Jun 27, 2006, 04:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Joe,
Thanks but I was able to get a friend of mine to fix it for me. I appreciate the help though!
- Tara

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
* * Jun 30, 2006, 02:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 11:05am EDT

Mat Hermary Jul 03, 2006, 05:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 03, 2006, 07:21am EDT

Here is one for all of you who think you’re are so smart . . .

Dare I say Vaio PCG-GRS750 . . . and out of warranty.
Now if I can follow my steps it goes something like this:

When the comp. is turned off for more than five hours, it will start. Then at a random time it will shut off in the middle of whatever. From 30 seconds after logon to three hours or more. As time goes on, the pattern is decreasing in time till it shuts down. I fear it won't boot next time.

So when it turns off naturally a person goes to turn it on. Then this is where it gets fun.
About 20% of the time it will restart then shut down around 10 and fewer minutes of use.
The 80% of the equation the comp. will not start. What it does is you can hear the spin up of the DVD ROM, HD, and CPU fan. That last for a whopping second or so, while the screen remains blank..

So I started thinking, overheating??? Nope my comp is as clean as I first got it. Not a spec of hair or dust bunnies. But I still took out the heat sink sys. and the P4 chip, cleaned them to a tee. Acid washed the parts I could. And even took 1500 Grit to the parts to get rid of any flaws. (Im a modder..) Now nothing can get cleaner than that. Took some silver compound and put every thing back together. This worked great for the next 10 mins then shut down. and back to the spin up spin down phase.

The spin up and spin down will go on and on. If I try to hold the power button for 15sec like Sony says, The comp kicks to a cycle of making strange sounds over and over. So I stopped this ASAP. Then goes to the funner stage.

Tried the reset key, clearing CMOS, removing ram(and pushing bending and what ever) and playing with the Vid card. Still the same issues. I stripped every part down looking for flaws, but my untrained eyes, not a thing seen wrong. I even checked the Touchpad boards. and followed every suggestion from the first 20 pages of this thread and last 20 or so.

But wait it gets funner. yesterday I tried to restart, the comp booted...then I logged on... and down she went. Down into the cycles. Now I am paying attention to the LEDs on the front. They stay the same when the bat is in or out while the power cord is plugged in or not..just as long there is power...

Power(Green)On...Bat1(Amber)On...Bat2(Amber)On...HD is Off...

Nothing else is doing anything and the comp remains like this forever (I've only let it go for 5mins) To turn it off, the power button does not work, so I have to unplug the power cord, and bat from the machine.. oops I mean garbage piece...

Well there is my novel....can any one give some help??? if so contact me here or personally..

Mat Hermary
mathew_hermary@hotmail.com
1(780)453-5896 H#

Joe K Jul 03, 2006, 08:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey Mat,

Each time it shuts off do you get a blue screen flash before it actually powers off?

Also, are you able to get a green power on light each time you try and power it back on?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, with that model you should be hearing two fan bursts at power on, when it's acting up and not booting (or displaying video) do you still hear two fan bursts or only one?

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Joe K Jul 03, 2006, 08:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tara,

Thats great news! Best of luck and happy 4th!

Joe Kabalan
Joe K Jul 03, 2006, 08:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Graham,

This sounds like either a bad CPU or more severe CPU HOST / Memory controller chip problem.

Joe Kabalan
Mat Hermary Jul 06, 2006, 05:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey there joe:

re: to answer your questions

1) Each time it shuts off do you get a blue screen flash before it actually powers off?

NO

2) Also, are you able to get a green power on light each time you try and power it back on?

YES

3) Also, if I'm not mistaken, with that model you should be hearing two fan bursts at power on, when it's acting up and not booting (or displaying video) do you still hear two fan bursts or only one?

This is true.

Thanks you for your time
Mat hermary

Mat Hermary Jul 06, 2006, 09:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
okay update on my problem, the comp will not power up any more, no fan hd ect.. just the lights come on.

Cody Goss Jul 08, 2006, 12:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok so here is the story. My dad bought a Sony Vaio laptop model number PCG-FR130 over the internet, paid nearly a thousand dollars. The computer we think originally had the Windows XP Home Edition on it, but the previous owner installed Windows XP Pro which worked great for my fathers business. The computer worked great for about nine months. Then it started to randomly overheat and shut off. Then one day it took probably a good hour to get the computer to boot up into windows. Now the computer doesnt boot up. We try and try and it doesnt do anything but go into the opening screen and say what is not found. We completely took apart the computer made sure every connection was still secure and cleaned up the various components inside and the computer still will not boot. We tried putting in the Windows XP Pro disk & also the orginal XP home edition disks and it says that in can't find the hard drive. Some time ago, when we did get it to boot in that hour a message came up "inimate hard drive failure predicted." If you hit the F1 or ? F2 command it then went into Windows & all worked great until you shut it down. If even worked it you had to reboot. It contines to scroll the message 'For Realtek RTL8139(x)/8130/810x PCI Fast Ethernet Controller. Under that it says PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, check cable & on the final line PXE-M0F Existing PXE Rom. This message will now not go away, it just keeps repeating this message. However, the last time we had it running was a while ago & we did several things to get it to go, but no real pattern. We put in a CD, a A disk & even a PCI network card, used Ctrl Alt Del or hard boot or even went in to the F2 set-up. There is alot of business records we can't afford to loose. What do we do? All suggestions appreciated!

Mat Hermary Jul 08, 2006, 03:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't know to much about your problem, but have you considered to get an external HD case? So you can take the one out of the failing comp (hoping the HD error you have been getting is not real.), then hooking it up to another computer. This way any file on the old HD can be saved, or used with some sort of HD Recovery System

Joe K Jul 09, 2006, 04:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Mat,

Try and hit the reset button (tiny pinhole on the bottom of the laptop)

That should clear the light symptom and get you back to square one. Then remove one stick of RAM and leave only one installed (either slot it don't matter) and report your results.

Joe Kabalan
M Haque Jul 12, 2006, 12:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey i have the same boot problem I have a Sony PCG-GRS700 sometimes boots but as soon as windows starts shuts down...sometimes the sony screen comes up and shuts down this has been going on for sevaral days the computer will not stay on...plz help..by te way im in Toronto, Canada

Mike F Jul 12, 2006, 03:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
I have a vaio pcg-v505bx. I turn it on and the power light comes on, the fan starts,the HD light flashes, and the cd rom spins up (if I have a cd in it), but all I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor on the upper left side of the screen. The laptop never posts. I dont see the sony screen at all. I tried the memory slot pressure fixes, didnt work. I changed the ram modules but I get the same results. Ive unplugged the cmos battery overnight trying to clear it, didnt work. I plugged in an external monitor to see if I get video and i get the same black screen with a blinking cursor. I cant get into the bios at all without it posting of course. Im not sure if the motherboard is dead because I am getting signs of life, just no post. Is there a reset button somewhere on this model? If there is I cant find it. Would that even fix my issue. HELP!!
Thanks in advance

daniel claxton Jul 14, 2006, 04:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SONY PCG-GRZ610.... My problem seems like the nightmare many are experiencing....worked fine for about 6 months then just started shutting down after a few minutes of use....wait a few minutes & it shuts down again, this time a lil quicker than before. I've been following message boards concerning this issue for at least 18 months...Yeah it's been sitting in a corner for that long waiting for a miracle. I've seen a couple of guys that says they will fix this issue but I've skeptical of sending it out just to have the same results return in a few months! I paid ~ $1,800 from a local Best Buy a few yrs ago & feel cheated that no one excepts this problem as a legitimate problem besides the guys making a nice profit fixing the issues. Has Sony made any official announcements addressing this? If Joe or Tom still reads post, please help me out on this...who has the best success rate? Is the work guaranteed to be a perminent fix or just something to get you by until it needs something else? I know it's not gonna fix itself but if the fix isn't going to stick would it be a good idea to just have the repairs done & sell it quickly?

David Kessler Jul 15, 2006, 09:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I believe that both Joe and Tom read the entries for this site. Neither of them can comment on which has the better success rate. Probably none of the people who have had their machines fixed can say which is better.

That said, let me say that Joe fixed my machine for two different problems (the 3rd endemic Sony problem has not happened to my machine). My machine has been running fine and I'm very pleased with the small investment I made.

If you go through previous posts on this thread, you will also find people who sing Tom's praise. My daughter will be in Phoenix for the next two years. She recently bought a Sony laptop (I tried to dissuade her but she really liked the machine) and I would not hesitate to send her to Tom, who is in Arizona and therefore close to her, if and when her machine shows the typical problems we've all experienced.

This may or may not have answered your question, but at least it should give you some additional information. So, I hope it helped.
David

daniel claxton Jul 15, 2006, 12:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanx David for your information...It's just the reassurance I needed to send this paperweight off! My deal was, I already spent roughly 2K on this thing & I didn't want to waiste another 2-$300 more on a problem that would eventually come back! I'm planning on getting this thing ready for shipment, so Joe or Tom....here's comes another 1.

Mat Hermary Jul 15, 2006, 08:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 15, 2006, 08:54pm EDT

@ daniel claxton

I have been in communications with joe for a few weeks. I haven't sent my laptop to him yet but the assistance he has given through emails is great. I would recommend him for everyone to deal with. Considering i havn't dealt with tom, and don't plan on it. But my safe bet is try to get a hold of joe. as for the fix, i think it would last as long as you will ever need tho Vaio for. eg in my case: when I turn the comp on, it is that the solder runs electricity through it, when it does this, it expands, causing a disconnect to the pcb motherboard, and subsequently causing my shut down issues. If joe was to fix this, the joints would be stronger and the original defects gone..

I hope this helps.

Mat hermary

Mike Warner Jul 15, 2006, 08:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 15, 2006, 08:57pm EDT

Hey Dan,

I sent my laptop into Shantan @ srm tech last week and they did a good job. the laptop mailed out the next day and i got it by the end of the week. i sent it to him after a friend of mine had a good experience, so take my experience for what its woth. it was a 100 bucks cheaper too.

-Mike

daniel claxton Jul 16, 2006, 02:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guys, thanx for the advice... Mike I've never heard of the place you're talking about, where is it located & how do I get in touch with them? As far as saving the 100 bucks, that's ideal but I thought the other guys could do it for around $175 final cost...anything less would draw a coupla red flags either with your guy charging less for the same service or with the popular Tom or Joe cashing in on Sony's screw up? Really it doesn't matter cause I need the thing fixed & whoever can get it done I'd appreciate it whether it be for the cheaper price (which is ideal) or for what the other two charge....I just know I'm not trying to pay the price for a new laptop in trying to fix this one.

Mike Warner Jul 16, 2006, 06:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 02:04pm EDT

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.