Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1127 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:45pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Mat Hermary Jul 17, 2006, 01:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
If it were my laptop, i would go with joe or tom. they seem to be more proactive in this forum, and help others for free. untill it comes to them doing physical work on the comp. the 25 dollar difference is not much to pay for. Its like when you bought your sony, you went for the brand name.. Right??? Go with the better known guys and i bet you will be better off... but this is all my opinion

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Mike Warner Jul 17, 2006, 01:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i guess i dont justify money for presence on the board. i can vouch that he does the job right, as far as resoldering memory slots go.

-Mike

David Kessler Jul 17, 2006, 08:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Good point Mike. Mere presence on this board isn't a great indicator of the quality of their work--although I think that the quality of their presence is an indicator of their concern for their customers and their knowledge.

That said, in the 2+ years I have been following this board, I have never seen anyone complain on this board about either Joe's or Tom's work. Furthermore, based on my own experience (with Joe), I was extremely pleased with his work, his professionalism and the care he showed for me as a customer (for example, I picked my machine up in person out of regular business hours and he accommodated me). It was also nice meeting Joe in person.

Look at past postings yourself. I hope that will address your concerns about work quality.
David

Ika Sternal Jul 17, 2006, 03:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi there!
I had filled one form b4 this: http://leflaw.com/sony/ appered.
Now I`ve seen this and donno or no-US vaio users can fill the form there?
what will the result be?

tarah wilson Jul 18, 2006, 09:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone I have a problem with my Sony Vaio laptop, it wont boot!!! I dont have the model number off hand but it is a 2001. The other day it was on and it was working fine I then decided to take a quick nap but I kept it on because I didnt wanted to turn it off. When I woke up my laptop was off!! I try turning it on and it would not turn on, When I try to charge it it does not even indicate that is is being charge, usually when i charge it a light blinks letting me know that it is charging. I called Sony and they were saying that it is the motherboard and they would charge me $700!! I do not have that type of money I am a college student. I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions or think they know what the problem might be, hopefully its something I can fix myself. At first I was thinking it was the charger or mabye the battery?? I have no idea but If anyone can help I will appreciate it. Thanks!!

Robert Wharton Jul 21, 2006, 03:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am curious if anyone has had this problem with the FS notebook series. I have a VGN-FS660 which I've used constantly for about a year. It won't boot although the light indicators on the front indicate that the battery is not charging ...I was thinking it was a problem with my charger or the battery (which has always stunk) and was just checking for any other problems before I got it checked out when I ran across this 3 year conversation...... 77 pages later I'm not sure the charger or the battery's the problem at all............fortunately this one's still under warranty but it was bought at Best Buy and I doubt if the "Geek Squad" has a clue, based on my past experience with them. If anyone has had the same memory slot problem or other problem with the later notebooks that keep them from booting up please let me know.

Travis Dill Jul 23, 2006, 08:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Vaio PCG-K23 that will boot to the account screen. When you attempt to open either the user or administrator account it shows ...loading personal settings .. then flashes and shows ... logging off ... screen. Safe Mode even does the same thing, and last settings still the same. I tried then to enter the f10 system restore setting and it asks for a password, I never entered one from the day I bought it so why does it ask me for one? I have the Phoenix BIOS and the found backdoor passwords I know do not work: phoenix, PHOENIX, BIOS, CMOS none worked. I only am allowed 3 tries before it disables and I have to reboot from scratch. Sony does not offer any help other than .. give us alot of money and we can fix it when we have time. The PC already cost alot of money and when new it did not come with backup CDs for this problem so why should I have to pay more? this secret password does not appear to be legal I think either Sony owes it to me free of charge or my money back on the unit regardless of its age.

daniel claxton Jul 23, 2006, 11:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anybody heard from the 2 brainiacs , Tom or Joe? I've sent 2 emails to Joe & heard nothing...Since joining this board a couple of weeks ago I've yet to see either post up! I need your assistance Joe, actually I need you to contact me so I can send my craptop off. Does anybody know of anybody else that fixes this sort of problem? The info I received from another site says my craptop shutdowns b/c of bad capasitors, this board says memory slot....wtf? Does anybody really know what the actual problem is? Has anybody heard anything from the class action suit?

* * Jul 24, 2006, 12:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 10:59am EDT

* * Jul 24, 2006, 12:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 11:02am EDT

* * Jul 24, 2006, 12:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 11:01am EDT

Robert Wharton Jul 24, 2006, 10:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Shantan,

Thanks for the advice....I'll let you know what Sony's response is.....

Robert

allen oliver Jul 24, 2006, 02:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone...

i have a Sony PCG-GRZ660 and about a week ago, just out of nowhere, it started randomly locking up on me. at first it would simply lock up when i would click on an object or press a button. now i can't get it to boot @ all. it almost seems like it is in a constant 'sleep mode'. i was able to back up a few things, but i still have a lot that i could not get to before it shutdown again. any ideas on what i can do? i would greatly appreciate any advice!!

thanks!

-allen

* * Jul 25, 2006, 12:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 11:03am EDT

Hugh McGee Jul 25, 2006, 04:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi guys ive been reading a few of the posts on this topic about the problem with the ram slots...
im from the uk and am having the same problem as many of your users..

i have a vaio pcg fr315b laptop and the ram slot has gone on mine.. ive tried various things to get it working and it does work as long as you dont move the laptop :lol:

there doesnt seem to be any repair shops in the uk that i can find to fix my lappy so it would seem i am stuck...

i cant believe how crappy sony have made these laptops...

too concerned in earning cash than actual build quality

AMD X2 4200+ AM2
4GB Corsair XMS2 TwinX 800mhz
Leadtek 512mb 8800GT
Samsung 2232BW Pebble
John Smith Jul 28, 2006, 07:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Sony VGN-S260 that is about 15 months old (out of warranty). I had the exact symptoms described here: green power light but LCD never turns on and no hard drive spin up. I called Sony and explained I thought it was a manufacturer's defect due to the "Vaio shutdown problem". They were very professional and agreed to repair the notebook free of charge. I sent it back yesterday. I'll let you know what happens!

Arika Michel Aug 02, 2006, 07:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Consumers, be careful. I purchased this Sony VAIO VGNFE550G from Circuit City in Birmingham, Alabama. After less than six months, the cd drive wouldn\'t read a disk. Called tech support and they advised me that I would have to perform a system recovery before they would even consider replacing drive! They want me to completely wipe my system, because they don\'t want to spend money on a new drive. I refused, and they agreed to overnight a replacement to a repair company in my area. The repair company was to call me on Wednesday. On Wednesday, I get no call from the repair company. What I DO get are some recovery discs in the mail. I call to see what the problem is and they say that they changed their minds(!) and that I have to perform a system recovery first. I say that I want to just update my drivers, not lose everything on my system. The support tech tells me this won\'t be a problem and walks me through (SUPPOSEDLY) the driver update. His instructions wipe my whole system!!! This doesn\'t fix the problem. Now I have to wait until sometime NEXT week for a repair. They never ordered the new drive. By the time this is all said and done, I will be two weeks without a computer.Consumers, be careful. This product worked fine until a few days ago. The cd drive wouldn\'t read a disk. Called tech support and they advised me that I would have to perform a system recovery before they would even consider replacing drive! They want me to completely wipe my system, because they don\'t want to spend money on a new drive. I refused, and they agreed to overnight a replacement to a repair company in my area. The repair company was to call me on Wednesday. On Wednesday, I get no call from the repair company. What I DO get are some recovery discs in the mail. I call to see what the problem is and they say that they changed their minds(!) and that I have to perform a system recovery first. I say that I want to just update my drivers, not lose everything on my system. The support tech tells me this won\'t be a problem and walks me through (SUPPOSEDLY) the driver update. His instructions wipe my whole system!!! This doesn\'t fix the problem. Now I have to wait until sometime NEXT week for a repair. They never ordered the new drive. By the time this is all said and done, I will be two weeks without a computer.

daniel claxton Aug 02, 2006, 11:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Join the rest of us on this & every other Sony craptop haters board!!!!!

Blendi Kraja Aug 05, 2006, 12:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi to all

I fixed my Sony Vaio GRV670 using the suggestions in this very useful forum. Didn't remove any RAM but fixed strongly them in their places. Now it boots well and works well except some strange thing: at the System Properties it shows 256 MB of RAM while there are 512 in both slots (I didn't remove any), and it shows twice the processor speed but one time 2.60 GHz and one time 2.58 GHz. Any clue why?

Blendi

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Aug 05, 2006, 12:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
CPU may have Throttling, sort of like Speedstep.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.