Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1115 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:36pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Blendi Kraja Aug 05, 2006, 12:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Do you know how can i fix it?
Blendi

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Christopher L Aug 07, 2006, 07:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Our Sony PCG-NV170 has developed the memory slot problem. Thankfully, one slot still works.

I was wondering: The NV170 supports a maximum of 512 MB RAM. Obviously, that would normally be configured using two 256 MB sticks, as was ours. Of course we can't do that now. Would there be any reason why a single 512 MB stick would not work in the one good RAM slot? I would just like to know if possible before we buy a 512 MB RAM stick, only to discover it doesn’t work.

* * Aug 08, 2006, 10:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 11:04am EDT

N M Aug 09, 2006, 10:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A few days ago I stumbled on this thread. Unfortunately it didn't seem to have any specific instructions for my PCG-GRT260G. However, I decided to try to take it apart and fix it myself anyway. It was in fact clogged terribly with dust, and after cleaning all that out, it's running about 50 degrees cooler. That's the difference between blissful silence and a hellish jet engine fan sitting in my livingroom.

I wrote a quick document in case it might help anybody else. Also implemented a simple solution which hopefully will alleviate the problem.

http://www.hibco.com/vaio

Good luck guys!

Christopher L Aug 09, 2006, 11:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 09, 2006, 02:48pm EDT

Shantan, thanks very much for the advice.

Steve B Aug 09, 2006, 02:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm not one for doing testimonials, but....

I had the same boot problem with my GRV670. I came across this board, found it was a wide problem. I saw there was a handful of people giving good advice. I didn't post any comment, just took down Joe Kabalan's info and after an email exchange, sent him my laptop. I had it fixed and returned in a matter of days.

It's working fine and I feel he and his company did a great job. I would suggest to those of you that find you've joined this fraternity of Vaio discord...to read the thread carefully, find someone most suitable near you that has experience in this area, and have them take a look at your machine to see if they can fix the problem.

Thanks Joe for the work you did. And thanks for the rest of those that lent a hand in discussing this issue.

Ken Kelley Aug 12, 2006, 07:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does anyone know if a lawsuit has been established for this yet, because this is not right! Same problem, screen staying black on start up, only sign of life is the fan and the drive kicking it at the beginning then nothing... happened to both me and my friend and we both have PCG-GRX550s... I feel kind of better to know that we're not alone in this but im still p'ed off. Anyways, I've boughten 2 ps2s, both broke and sony did nothing, managed to fix one myself =D, but now my laptop is going and I'm beginning to grow weary with Sony. To top it off they totally overpriced the PS3, at like $600 or something, expect to pay near $1000 when it breaks a few days after warranty to fix it =P. Anyways, i've got my sony rant out of the way, I feel better, but please can someone let me know if the lawsuit has happened yet, or is going to happen. I've seen ppl talk about it but the problem is this thread is like a few years in length, and there are a million replies to read through. If someone can reply thank you.

Also if your just now finding the problem, fear not, for you are not alone! well here are some suggestions I've came across so far in this thread:
you can get it repaired, but I would not go through sony they'll charge you 800 dollars for a new MoBo which will experience the same problem down the road.
you can attempt to fix it yourself, (you should try to check the Memory slot connections as they sometimes come loose and need to be sauldered, you could try to cool the system down, press on the memory slots when starting up. You could replace the RAM in the memory slots altogether but this is not advised as the MoBo tends to "eat chips" and you will be going through a bunch of them, you can attempt to switch memory slots from the #1 to the #2, vice versa, and lastly you can keep checking this thread as i'm sure there are some things I missed)
Lastly, as I would like to do, get a lawsuit against sony to make them pay the repair costs on there defective product..... grrrrr! Anyways, good luck all and take care, and if anyone knows if any legal actions are being taken, please, please let me know, thanks again.

Steve Rice Aug 12, 2006, 12:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 12, 2006, 12:31pm EDT

I have been watching this thread and others like it almost since buying my Sony Vaio PCG SR17 laptop computer. I got my Sony new in late 2000. It lasted maybe a year. Like all the others here I have had to look back with total disdain for Sony and the way they have handled this matter. It took Dell three fires starting because of their laptops to finally acknowledge an overheating problem. Sony unlike all the other major makers of notebook computers maintains the stance that they know of no issues with any of their Vaios with overheating or anything else. To my knowledge all the other makers, Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Compaq and even Apple have had recalls to at least take issue with the overheating and battery as well as overheating problems with adapters.

In my case my Vaio became unusable almost to the day that the warranty expired. Going by memory, my calls and contacts to Sony over this go back to approximately 2001 to current date of this post. My estimate of repair came this morning from Sony. $726.73. I refuse to pay it. I'll get it back and once again have me a very nice looking $3100 paper weight with Sony's name on it.

I have contacted both the local channel two news in my area and 20/20 to alert them to this matter in the hope that they will see a story here to follow up on. My gut tells me there is foul play here and it smells of cover up. My daddy taught me that if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck that its probably a duck. I even offered 20/20 my notebook computer when I get it back to see for themselves what I'm talking about but something tells me they need look no farther than their own office building for one to test.

Chalk me up as another unhappy customer with an expensive paperweight to their name. I will not buy another Sony product for the rest of my life. Even after informing the contacts I had on the phone from Sony of this thread as well as the reviews of the Vaio on Amazon, which are mostly all warnings of overheating or problem posts that equate to negative reviews, Sony maintains the opinion that none of those reviews, or anything in this thread can hold water. Its all BS and they know the real story and maintain that it is this: They at Sony know of no problem issues with the Sony Vaio computers.This is what both Omar, and Anne told me from Sony. I was told if they did know of problems that they would surely tell me about it. For the record I spoke with Fred, and Paula first then Lisa, and then Omar, and finally Anne from Sony. I have an event ID#E31643556, a work order ID# and I have the personal phone number to contact Anne at Sony to prove it. Talking to these people was not easy and not all in one day even. It was after waiting for a total of nearly 3 hours on hold and being shuffled around back and forth on the phone. None of the reps at Sony were any help in the end and all of them maintain the standard line of ignorance to any problems with Vaios as stated above. This even after I'm sure many of you have also spoken to them about similar issues. What do we call that? Selective memory loss I think.

I think its time for a few mass mailings from everyone here to 20/20 and Dateline and anyone else who will listen. We don't need to take this sitting down. If you are in the same boat as the rest of us look up their contact info and tell them about it and lets get something done ASAP. I for one am tired of being walked on by the big guy and taken advantage of. And I'm not waiting for some silly lawsuit by someone else. I've written my letters. You guys should do the same. Get this on the evening news.

STR
Bartlesville Oklahoma

David Kessler Aug 12, 2006, 02:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ken, I thought of the publicity rout too. I tried to interest the Boston Globe's technology correspondent in this story. At first he seemed intersted in a story about poor laptop design that manufacturers do/should know about but ship anyway. Then changed his mind.

Steve, as for the $3100 paperweight, putting aside the question of what's right and instead focusing on what is best for you a number of us have had to face that question. I decided that before relegating my GRX560 to paperweight status, I'd spend a couple hundred dollars to fix it--incidentally, I haven't seen anyone coming back to this forum saying that their fix failed. Mine has worked for close to 2 years now...and although the technology is now dated, it's not a bad little machine.

If you decide to fix the problem, I suggest doing what I did. There are a few people who have posted on this list who have been helpful to we sufferers of defective design and who repair the bad soldering and other problems for very reasonable prices (fixing the memory problem on my machine was under $200 including shipping as I recall). You will find that a number of people have had very good experiences with both Joe Kabalan (upstate NY) and Tom Pappas (AZ). There is also someone in the UK, who's name I don't remember, that some people have been pointed to. There is also someone new, Shantan, who has talked about fixing these problems.

As I said, I sent my machine to Joe Kabalan after speaking with him. I was very impressed by his professionalism and knowledge of the issues. Most importantly, Joe did what he said he would do, the turnaround on my repair was quick and, as I said, his repair continues to work.

There has been a class action suit filed, but I wouldn't hold my breath for any real relief.

Just my thoughts.
David

Ken Kelley Aug 13, 2006, 06:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the update David. It is exactly as you say, not so much a destined paperweight as the many suggestions here do seem to work. I was able to fix mine by opening the panel and discovering that one of the chips was loose, pushing it back into place its now working again, but for how long who knows. And if you are considering paying someone to fix it Steve, I too have also heard great things about Joe's work, though I haven't personally dealt with him.
Anyways thanks for the info on the class action suit, though I won't hold my breath.
In the end, it really all comes down to ethical business practice. Fixable or not, the customer service of Sony just amazes me, and not in a good way. You would think that they would rather pay the 200 dollars Joe and others seem to charge to fix them, and maintain their business with the tons of upset customers, who at one time would have probably been buying another 2000-3000 dollar comp from them down the road.
2000 dollars later, or save 200 dollars now.... hmmm thats a tough one. *sigh* Anyways thanks again, and I will try your suggestion steve, even though I don't know if it will work. I'll send a letter or something to one of the popular news outlets. Well, until next time, take care all.

Robert Wharton Aug 14, 2006, 12:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I almost hate to write given all of the obvious problems with the sony products; however, I had written a couple of weeks ago that my sony laptop, less than one year old, wouldn't boot and I had sent it , through Best Buy, directly back to Sony to fix. Today I received it back ===with a totally new motherboard. Fortunately i had backed up all of my programs a couple of days before the laptop went out but except for taking a week longer than they said they would they didn't even question that it was their problem.....of course this may happen again.....though you'd want to know

bob

Matt Lee Aug 14, 2006, 04:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
my vaio laptop has recently gone retarded...i turned it on, the vaio logo shows up, the a white dash on the top left hand corner appears for 1 second and disappears....then the whole screen becomes black, but the laptop is still running. . . CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE..................?!

please please please....i'm desperate....i don't have a COMPUTER!

- Jack Ghost

Winn Tsang Aug 14, 2006, 04:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I believe I am having the same problem as all the others that have posted on this thread but i'm not positive. I want to see if anyone can point me to the right direction based on the symptoms that i have, whether its the same problem that everyone else is having or not? I want to know before trying out removing the memory or opening up the back panel.

I have a used Vaio VGN-FS690P which I bought over the internet less than a year ago. It's definitely out of warranty as I've checked on the Sony website. It's been working fine since I've had it but last week when I tried to boot it up, nothing happened. I havent had any software nor hardware upgrades to the machine. I can see that the green power indicator light is "on" for the power pack but there are no lights nor anything on the laptop. There are no indications in terms of sound, lights, etc from the laptop that its working at all...I've tried taking the battery out and putting it back in and powering it up that way but still no luck.

Does this sound like the same problem that most people are having? Should I go ahead and try out the memory slots recommendations thats been posted?

Thanks in advance...

Ken Kelley Aug 14, 2006, 08:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Winn,

Imo it sounds similar. However, at least with me, when I was experiencing problems, i did see some signs of life, as opposed to your case, nothing at all. When I started it, I would hear the hard drive turn on, and the fan would also start and stay on. From this point though, everything else appears as yours does. The screen would stay completely black, and nothing else would happen. If I attempted to repower it up, the same thing would happen. Hope this helps you w/your decision.

* * Aug 14, 2006, 08:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 11:05am EDT

* * Aug 14, 2006, 08:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 11:04am EDT

Matt Lee Aug 15, 2006, 01:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
shantan-

thanks you for your advice, i did try it, but the same thing happend.

should i try to replace the memory chips? or is this caused by a virus in my harddrive, should i replace that as well?

Nick Dealy Aug 15, 2006, 04:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Last weekend my Vaio (A117S) switched off - searching this site it seemed to exhibit the same symptoms so I removed each of the memory modules in turn:

1. Removed underneath memory module but left in keyboard memory module = the computer would not turn on.

2. Removed keyboard memory module but left in underneath memory module = the computer worked fine!

3. Replaced (original) underneath memory module with (original) keyboard memory module (leaving keyboard slot empty) = computer did not work.

4. Replaced (original) keyboard memory module with (original) underneath memory module (leaving underneath slot empty) = computer did not work.

This seems to indicate that BOTH the keyboard memory slot AND the keyboard memory module do not work?

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

John Serembus Aug 15, 2006, 12:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Like everyone else, I've had the problem with the non booting notebook.I have a VGN S270p. When I contacted Sony, I received an email with the following link in it.

http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/autoresponsev4.asp?id=356762

They seem to be aware of the issue (in the notice they say it could be a bad motherboard), but they certainly don't seem to want to get out in front of it.

John Serembus Aug 15, 2006, 12:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I listed the wrong link in my last post. The correct one follows.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=VGNS270P&news_id=109

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.