Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 741 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:34am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
tung nguyen Sep 08, 2006, 12:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Same problem, No boot, no fan, no nothing. Tried everything on the first pages. Memory switchout and pressure does not work. Any other suggestions. Yellow light blinks than press of on makes the green turn off and than doesnt power on again. Gotta wait another day or so just for it to do the same thing again. Any more suggestions, I'll even solder if needed. PCG-3212 or PCG-SR17K

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Diem Nguyen Sep 10, 2006, 10:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Claudia,

You are really lucky that your Sony Laptop GRX has problem with only Memory, well but very happy to hear it working now, as I know almost of Sony Laptop GRX has 3 big problem, 1st memory slot like you have problem right now, secondly the back light which they are called CCFL Light and it is really top to replace on your LCD and finally, the power chip on the motherboard, the voltage will jump up and down and burn up some chip in the motherboard. So just let you know don't buy any laptop from Sony, the LCD or TV of from Sony they are make look very sharp and nice but thing will get worst after you are using it. Good luck.

Steve S Sep 10, 2006, 02:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
FYI:
A recent (last month I think) edition of Consumer Reports a monthly magazine from Consumers Union rated laptops by reliability/service calls. Owning a GRX, which had the memory socket failure, I was interested in how Sony compared with the other brands. Suprisenly, Sony rated near the top when compared to HP, Toshiba, Acer, etc. From the comments on this board I would have to conclude either laptops are terrible in general or the Consumer Reports survey was flawed in some way, such as to small a sample size, in order for Sony to rate so high.

What ever became of the class action suit mentioned on the early pages of this board?

S2

Alexander Kazakov Sep 11, 2006, 01:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Why nobody is refering to this:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=VGNS260&news_id=109

I called 'em and send my laptop in Two days ago. Will see what happens.

Thanks,
Alexander Kazakov

David Kessler Sep 11, 2006, 08:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Alexander,
Somebody did mention that some time back. But there are FAR more models that have the problems than Sony acknowledges in that posting. So, for my computer for intstance, Sony doesn't acknowledge a problem.
David

josh ericson Sep 11, 2006, 02:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 11, 2006, 02:41pm EDT

I bought a replacement battery for my Sony laptop about a month ago from http://www.laptopsforless.com/laptopbattery/sony-battery
and it works great. Is there any reason to think that a replacement Sony laptop battery would be any worse than the manufacturers?

Re: Sony Vaio won't start
Last Friday morning, my Sony Vaio PCG-GRX550 wouldn't power up. I had a green power light, but the disc light would flash for a moment and then go away. The battery charging light would blink, but that was all.

I called Sony support--the number on the green warranty pack card, worked with two different techs for about 30 minutes. They decided I needed to fedex the unit to San Diego (I'm in Memphis) and it would be at least $300. One very interesting question from them..."Have you recently done a memory upgrade." No, the Vaio came with 512mg in 2-256mg chips. I had done nothing to the unit in the 11 months I've owned it. (It's a refurb.)

I called my husband at work to tell him my sad tale. He called me back in an hour with an interesting story. He works in a radio station and was talking to his chief engineer friend who also has a Vaio, as does his wife and the assistant engineer. His wife's Vaio had failed the previous week! Same problem description. The assistant engineer's Vaio had failed similarly in the recent past. For some reason, somebody had checked his memory slots. The #2 slot was BAD!. He had removed the second memory chip and left it out. The Vaio worked perfectly. The chief engineer did the same thing with his wife's Vaio and got the same results! Two out of four is a pattern, friends.

I went to Comp USA and asked the tech to remove the second memory chip and put in a 512 in the first slot. He did and the unit worked! I paid for the chip and went home delighted. When I got home, it didn't work. I took it back, the tech decided the chip was bad and put in another. It worked. I took it home and it failed again. I went back today and another tech said the 512 chip was not the one needed for a Sony Vaio, that it was a proprietary chip we would have to buy from Sony. He put in one of my 256 chips (in the #1 slot) and it worked. I came home and it's still working!!!

I can't find a 512 chip on the net for a Sony Vaio and I may not worry about it. The 256 works fine for my needs and I'm going to leave things alone for a while. It sure sounds like Sony has a problem with their memory slots on Vaios...the query from the Sony tech seems suspicious in light of later knowledge. Can you spell CLASS ACTION SUIT? SOOOO, if you're having a problem, power down, unplug, and then unscrew the center plate under the Vaio and remove the chip closest to the back of the laptop-that's the #2 slot.

I'd be interested to hear if this works for anyone else. As it stands tonight, I'm 256mg lighter, but my Vaio is working and it didn't cost me a cent!

Joe K Sep 11, 2006, 09:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 11, 2006, 10:07pm EDT

The following information is my personal opinion generated from my personal research.

Alexander,

I highly suggest to every VGN-S series owner to take advantage of the Sony warranty for that series. It will buy you another year of usage from your laptop. I have heard reports from customers that Sony has found "reasons" to not accept S series motherboard swaps for whatever reason.. "Supposed liquid residue present" etc..

The replacement motherboards for the S series are built a little better from what I see, but eventually they will fail again because the underline problem has not been resolved.

I gave "my findings" of the problem to Sony in mid Dec 2005 and in late Dec 2005 the warranty replacement was put into effect. (just coincidence?)

Josh,

The only problem I've seen with aftermarket batteries have been when used in the GRZ series Vaios. They tend to (for whatever reason) destroy the power supply circuit on the motherboard. I always recommend Genuine Sony batteries (despite what's going on with Dell's these days)

Both of your GRX slots will eventually fail, I'm sorry to be the barer of bad news. The guys at "CompUSA" should split open the mattress and invest in a memory tester. They will find that very rarely will a GRX's failing memory slot damage the memory module itself.

The only time a GRX memory slot will damage the memory chip is when the user applies too much pressure on the RAM chip in an attempt to make it work, THAT action will damage the RAM chip.

Also, you can purchase pretty much ANY DDR PC2100 or possibly PC2700 512mb chip and install it in your GRX's only working slot. The GRX does NOT take proprietary RAM in any way shape or form.

----------------------------------------------------

...and as for Diem and his petty effort to try and shed a negative light on our business practices, anyone that has any concern about the way we do business, please contact me directly at the number below and I will gladly explain "our side" of the story that unfolded in late 2004.

Since then I'm proud to be of service to well over 2,200 + satisfied customers (give or take a small handful of shipping mishaps no thanks to FedEx, UPS and DHL)

Joe Kabalan
716-832-2473

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Alexander Kazakov Sep 14, 2006, 04:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I wrote resently that I send my laptop to sony. And what would you think. They fixed and send it back to me in 4 days. Ain't that amazing =)

Now I like Sony company again =) but I will still want to sell this laptop and bye something else. =\
Any suggestions on other laptop brands?

David Kessler Sep 14, 2006, 10:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Alexander,
The question isn't whether Sony fixes the machine under warranty. They fixed my machine under (extended) warranty after 14 months. After another 9 months (when the extended warranty was gone), my machine died again. At that point I sent it to Joe and it's been fine for nearly 2 years now. (Well a second of the manufacturing problems, the backlighting on the screen, occurred and Joe fixed that too.)
David

Kingsley Phung Sep 15, 2006, 12:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi i recently dropped my Sony Vaio Laptop and now when i boot it up i can hear everything starting up (fans, dvd drive, lights, blowing out warm air so my p4 chip should be fine) but the screen is still blank. i tried connecting it to an external monitor with no luck. i tried taking the memory out and leaving 1 stick in slot 1 then slot 2 with no success either. im all out of clues as to what may be wrong with it. my model number is PCG-9J2L. any help would be appreciated!!

Matt Lee Sep 18, 2006, 04:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
buy a new harddrive for you laptop? that is what i did. i was able to install a new os on it and it works find right now.

francisco f Sep 18, 2006, 11:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 18, 2006, 11:42am EDT

Another satisfied costumer ... Hey Joe, I want to say thanks to you....Laptop came in and 768 MB of RAM...been up since I got it back...Now it is FASTEr and has had any problem so far.

Thumbs up for Joe K.

Miami

Joe K Sep 18, 2006, 12:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 18, 2006, 12:32pm EDT

Hi Fransisco,

Glad to hear all is well again.

All the best,

Joe Kabalan

Joe Kabalan
juan bercetche Sep 18, 2006, 12:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
has anybody tried to use a Intel mobile processor SL5Z7 (comes with sony vaio grx laptops) with a 478 motheboard for desktop PC?Can I? thxs

Dustin Ochoa Sep 18, 2006, 04:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey Joe,

Had I seen this prior to dropping off my notorious GRX-550 to the local repair shop, I would have shipped it to you next day air. I originally took it in to have a new dc jack soldered in (another common problem with these laptops). The technician claims the installation of the new jack went fine, the computer is getting power as the power and batter lights are coming on. But, now he says it won't boot up... Now, the unit was booting just fine before I took it in. So, I'm wondering if maybe the modules got bumped out of place during the tear down for the other repair. He claims he removed the 2nd slot module during his troubleshooting procedure, but it still wouldn't boot. He also said he swapped my modules with other known-working modules but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dustin

Joe K Sep 18, 2006, 08:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dustin,

Ask the tech what the Green power light and two battery lights are doing once the power button is pressed and post the results here..

Joe Kabalan
Naph Tundu Sep 19, 2006, 04:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi,
1st question is,.....have you ever opened a laptop before? do you have some (atleast) technical know-how? 'm not saying this to imply anything. its only that laptops are not like desktops which someone can open up and do stuff!!! they re damn sensitive and much much more complecated than one might imagine!!
so if u re confortable going thru the process, ill take u thru,.....................................

Dustin Ochoa Sep 19, 2006, 10:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

Hey thanks for the quick response. He said the Green power light stays lite and the battery lights indicate charging. The machine just won't boot...does that mean the motherboard and/or CPU isn't getting any juice?

Dustin

4 3 Sep 19, 2006, 08:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
what do you think is wrong with my vaio-

it just randomly shut down on me yesterday. It was plugged into its charging cord which was plugged into the wall, and its battery looks to be fine. The charging flashing light was NOT on andwhen I held down the power button, I got nothing.

If you think you have any idea whats wrong let me know.

Also read my forum called "Sony can rot in hell"

Thanks, Hilary

Laura Mills Sep 20, 2006, 02:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? - VGN-A SERIES. A250
First off, I'm happy to see that there are so many angry, unsatisfied vaio customers out there; not because your sony iss**t, but because it's nice to know I'm not the only one with these issues! Don't you feel comforted by the fact that my sony iss**t, too!? Good, now that we're all feeling better.....

I am so pumped to find such a helpful forum! So far I've read some pretty helpful posts from obviously informed vaio owners and thanks for that! After reading about the first 10 & last 10 posts I think I've figured out my problem (emphasis on 'think'). However, I've yet to run into someone else having PROBLEMS with the VAIO VGN-A SERIES, specifically the A250 MODEL.

I purchased mine around December of '05 and was a proud parent until I started having issues with the screen (i.e. discoloration-hues, scrambled pixalation, etc.). These issues started not 3 months in, so long story short ... took it to CompUSA... they're idiots and can't deal with technical sony probs.- sent away to sony who called me and claimed that there was "user-inflicted" damage to the motherboard which would require $700 bones to replace. Apparently, if you insert "user-inflicted" in front of any problem... the warranty, extended or not, is null. So, I pulled out the big guns and ran to Daddy (who is conveniently a computer programer and professor of Information Technologies at Purdue) and whatever he said must have worked, because the computer was shipped back, repaired, no charge. YAY! HAPPY ENDING!

Cut to July '06....

While working on my comp a blue "crash screen", as I call it, popped up and said I'd need to restart. I restarted and was greeted with a black screen that said....something...something...REBOOT OR INSERT PROPER BOOT DEVICE (OR DRIVE OR SOMETHING)... So I shut it down again (using the power button) got the same screen a couple of times, left it alone for a half hour or so, powered up again and everything booted up smoothly. This crash/failed reboot thing happened off and on with more frequency for about a month, needing a longer (days and weeks) "timeouts" between successful startups.

So back to CompUSA I go, to see if anything could be done and to get a diagnostics screening. The only considerable issue was that my 80gig hard drive was completely, 100% full... give or take a MB or 2. Oops..hehe... Ok so I have a bit of a music downloading addiction...what college kid doesn't? Sue me!* *(comment not directed at RIAA)

I refused the $80 back-up offered at CompUSA (cause I'm not an idiot, I can do that and re-format on my own). It did eventually reboot the next day after I brought it home. So I dumped all my music onto my external HD and that opened up 55G on the hardrive. I thought this would solve the problem, assuming that there just wasn't enough functional memory to boot. Sadly, tonight I had same thing happen!!

I'm stumped. And so here I am. Anyone have advice or similar problems? Please Help!
Thanks in Advance!

Laura
(Bloomington, Indiana)

...I should have gone with the powerbook.... damnit.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.