Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 897 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 24 - 04:00pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Dustin Ochoa Sep 21, 2006, 01:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Dustin,

Ask the tech what the Green power light and two battery lights are doing once the power button is pressed and post the results here..

Joe,

Hey thanks for the quick response. He said the Green power light stays lite and the battery lights indicate charging. The machine just won't boot...does that mean the motherboard and/or CPU isn't getting any juice?

Dustin

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Joe K Sep 21, 2006, 01:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dustin,

Do the battery lights stay on or flash. If they flash only 1 bat light should be flashing. Or do they come on and ALL stay on?

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Dustin Ochoa Sep 21, 2006, 04:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 21, 2006, 09:08pm EDT

Dustin,

Do the battery lights stay on or flash. If they flash only 1 bat light should be flashing. Or do they come on and ALL stay on?

Joe,

Okay, the tech told me different the first time, but here's the deal. The power light does not come on. However, he checked the circuit and the system is getting power all the way to the main transistor. He also said that bat light #1 (corresponding to the battery I have in it) does flash intermittently for about an hour or two, then it goes out, which he thinks is an error code, but Sony would not give any info as to what error code. He also noted that during the installation of the dc jack, he blew the fuse, so he decided to attach a jumper in the meantime to ensure power was getting to the board. So basically the unit is getting power it needs, the thing simply won't boot.

Dustin

Joe K Sep 22, 2006, 08:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Dustin,

The "event" that caused the fuse to blow probably also damaged additional power circuit / supply components on the motherboard. Be sure the power button cable is in good shape and the leads have not "lifted" from the backing.

If the power button cable is good, chances are there is additional damage to components as I stated above.

Joe Kabalan
Dustin Ochoa Sep 22, 2006, 11:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Dustin,

The "event" that caused the fuse to blow probably also damaged additional power circuit / supply components on the motherboard. Be sure the power button cable is in good shape and the leads have not "lifted" from the backing.

If the power button cable is good, chances are there is additional damage to components as I stated above.

Hi Joe,

The power button cable was brand new when the fuse blew. I guess the sudden power spike damaged other non repairable things on the motherboard... I guess I'll have to take the hit and buy a new computer...

Thanks for all your help!

Dustin

David Kessler Sep 22, 2006, 04:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Uh Dustin, shouldn't the guy who blew out your motherboard have some liability and take some responsibility in the matter?
David

Dustin Ochoa Sep 24, 2006, 04:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Uh Dustin, shouldn't the guy who blew out your motherboard have some liability and take some responsibility in the matter?
David

Well, I was warned that the procedure to replace the dc jack was a bit risky... Basically, the first tech who attempted to install the jack tried his best but failed. He wasn't an expert solder guy, so I can't blame him for giving it his best shot. It's a delicate job. Had I realized how tricky the job was, I would have took more time to research the best solder guy in town. My fault, because I usually do an intensive research before purchasing services and goods.

Dustin

R K Sep 26, 2006, 02:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe/other studs here,

I just read about 20 pages of this thread, but I am completely technically challenged and know nothing about the inner workings of a system. My Vaio VGN-B100, purchased about 14 months ago was working absolutely fine until yesterday. I worked through the day, turned it down as usual in the afternoon. I think everything was fine till then. Later, at night when I tried to switch on, the notebook simply won't power up. No lights, no sound, absolutely looks dead. I have been noticing slight problem with my AC power adapter in the last few months. It doesnt perfectly settle in the jack and any slight movement would cause the the power cord to fall off. Could that be the reason for this sudden problem or does the problem have anything to do with the motherboard. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RK.

Robert Wharton Sep 26, 2006, 05:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For those who think the warranty with Sony is the answer you need to think again. my VGNFS660 did the same thing I keep reading about....not booting ...even though there was obviously power going to the unit ......fortunately (I thought) it was still under warranty and so began the motherboard odyssey.
Trip #1 began after 1 1/2 hours on the phone trying to ascertain whether the computer was REALLY under warranty (it was inconceivable that they could just assume I could read the date correctly and tell me where to send it and THEN charge me if it really wasn't under warranty) and it was finally determined that i could indeed read the date of purchase correctly and, after some additional discussion about the nature of the problem (did I have it plugged in? Did I know where the start button was/) they agreed to accept my computer for possible warrant repair....After 10 days the computer came back to me with the notation that the motherboard had been repaired, verifying that I did indeed know how to read dates and push the start button.
All of my programs had to be put back on the laptop but I had been fairly good at backing up my stuff so after a week things were running as good as new......for a few days.....One day it just stopped booting again but miraculously started after an afternoon off and I figured it was just tired having to download all of that stuff again. A week later it stopped again. This time all the rest in the world couldn't get it to boot so away it went back to san diego for more repair.
Motherboard repair #2 took another 10 days and was returned with another cryptic note which said the motherboard had to be replaced again (it did not say what was wrong with the first one). This time the note also included a comment that everything had checked out with MRI diagnostics. Having had an MRI myself I thought it was a pretty expensive way to diagnose the thing and wondered whether those magnets would mess up the laptop more than help it, but who am I to argue with a sony technician? However, this time, the machine would not boot up completely (the sony would boot but not windows) and this was because, as diagnosed by a sony technician after 1/1/2 hours on the phone as being caused by the WRONG motherboard put in the second trip in (I have no clue if it's correct but that's what the man said) resulting in motherboard repair trip #3.
In the meantime, after repair #2 but before repair #3 the warranty ran out on the sony and, despite the fact that Sony's warranty continues 90 days after a warranty repair my next contact was an e mail just today which stated that since the warranty was out I would have to shell out $700+ to repair the sucker resulting in yet another 1 1/2 hr phone call to three different persons in three different continents finally ending up with our ole' buddies in San Diego who informed me that the computer program that diagnosed the computer had indeed made a mistake due to the fact that the motherboard in my computer didn't match up with the computer model and had therefore assumed that someone had, in the one week between the last repair and this one ruined the former perfectly good repair done by sony by placing the wrong motherboard in the computer and he was sorry that the computer which diagnosed the computer hadn't thought about the possibility that the sony shop in San diego where this poor computer had been residing for the last two months may have been responsible for that outlaw motherboard and NOW..........
only God knows when I will get my sony, which I use or at least used to use at work.....out of town.....back.
My only comfort is in discovering that my daughter's 4 year old Powerbook actually runs or can run versions of most of the programs I had on the Vaio and has not shut down on me once, despite a short in the power cord....and the pictures are easier to repair and send .....After years of arguing with the half of my family who swears by Apple I am quickly becoming a walking, talking Apple commercial....I figure that with time spent on repairs and rebooting and working around programs and talking for what seems like days with the good folks at Sony in (at least) three different continents, I have now spent, at my hourly rate
$11,247.50 on that damn laptop.....At least I know for sure I'll have a brand new motherboard.

nick hajek Oct 02, 2006, 08:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> soldering memory module step two
Hi, I have the model pcg-8c3l. I have read and read. I did the buisness card trick to apply pressure to the memory module slot 2 and it worked great for a few months. and then finally it either shut down on its own or i got the blue screen of death, which then i had to shut it down manually. I did this for a another month or so. Just made sure when i turned on the computer i didnt move it at all so it didnt crap out. this went on for a month and a hlf and dinally it wont even boot up any more with pressure. So i am writing cause I havent heared anyone talk about this problem after they figured out the trick that is only temporary.
what happens now is that when i hit the power button nothing happens. no fans, nada, zip zero, zilch. however the three out of the four lights come on. first one is green, 2nd and 3rd are amber for the battery. those just stay on. I cant maually turn the copmuter off either by the power button i have to disconnect the batteries. i assume the buisness card trick has came to an end and is now time to have it soldered.. is this true anyone? please help me as i am a college student and in need of this computer. before when i used buisness cards he fan did turn on and now were at a dead stop. all the forums and messages all seem to lead me to the point of a solder person. there are some really good people here. i just emailed Joe K and Shantan marri for some advice. I would be more thatn happy to send it out to either of you that helps me with information first. I loko forward in hearing everyone response. thanks.

Nick Hajek
1-425-931-2900
san diego california ( seattle area code though for my cell)
hnick16@hotmail.com

George Stein Oct 04, 2006, 11:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hopefully somebody can answer a quick question for me? I have a GRX560 (pcg-8c3l) which I stuck a 2.4ghz processor into then reflowed the solder connections on the memory sockets and a few other places (I have the hot air equip & know how to do it). The unit works OK, but I was wondering if a bios upgrade is necessary with the new processor, and if anybody knows where I might find a matrix of bios versions and associated issues which can be used on this computer? I remember seeing one somewhere but can't seem to find it again. My current reported bios version is R0216B0 which is the latest available on the Sony site. Thanks, George.

Iman Oakley Oct 04, 2006, 03:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey George,
Don't download or install any bios updates from Sony. If you are using your computer as normal my suggestion to you is to keep using it as is. I am having an issue with a laptop where I replaced the hard drive and downloaded drivers from Sony including bios update and now all I get is the power led to come on. Nothing on the screen, no post test, no Vaio splash screen. Just the green power led. So if you don't want to end up like me DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! By the way anyone out there have any suggestions for me?

Rishi Theva Oct 05, 2006, 04:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe K,

I have just stumbled on this thread as my Sony Vaio is showing very similar problems to those having the DC jack replaced.
I tried my best to carefully remove all components & then solder a new DC jack onto the board.
However after fitting everything back on, the unit would only boot up for 2s and then shutdown, but the Power light stays on & Battery 1 stays blinking.

Pls. let me know if this problem can be rectified & if so any suggestions as to where excatly to look.

Cheers,
Rishi

Wesley Pryor Oct 06, 2006, 09:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, guess what! I have a sony Vaio and it too is exhibiting these issues. Specfically its a VGN-S150. I've given up with Sony support despite their admission of the error

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=VGNS260&news_id=109

Symptoms:

repeated boot attempts required / powerlight comes on during fail but no boot/ with patience the maching wills start anhd run well, but occasional video ATI error causing serious errors etc. etc.

I have not gone down the BIOS / toothpick reset much less the RAM swapping situation becuase I tend to mess these things up. Witness a disassembled palm and a half-restored BMW motorcycle. This is why I bought a vaio. Good move, Wes, you tool.

It is sad to me because the machine is otherwise great.

> Can anyone confirm that the problem is the same as for the other series?
> Can anyone advise if there is a known Australian Guru in this area- Joe's southern hemisphere love-child or something?

Otherwise I'm gonna find me a electronics guru with a fancy-ass soldering system and print out this forum. Or, perhaps send it over to NY for a bit of R&R.

What a great service you have all provided. Sony really should be offering you board seats.

Wes Pryor, Australia
wes dot pryor at gmail dot com

Tibor Makai Oct 07, 2006, 06:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 07, 2006, 06:16pm EDT

I posted here before, but since then I tried myself to fix by soldering the memory pins and for a couple of times it worked for a while. By picking it up and relocating it a couple of times my second memory it kept dissapearing and I was keep resoldering it, but at my last resoldering I screwed up the copper line at the second memory slot's 19th pin.
Here is the help that I need, I would like to find out where is connected this pin. I belive that I'm missing a copper line from this pin. Any help it would be appreciated since I'm running this way, way to slow, only 256MB and I just bought the second memory which I can't use.
The laptop is a PCG-FX340(Pentium III-900MHZ)

Joe K Oct 07, 2006, 08:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 07, 2006, 08:48pm EDT

Tibor,

Go to my Yahoo Laptop repair group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Laptop_Repair/

join the group and post a picture (in the "PHOTO" section) of the DIMM connector and the specific pin that is broken. This way I can see the pin that's damaged and hopefully point you in the right direction.

--------------------------------------------------------

Wes,

Sorry to hear the bad news. The VGN- S150 does not suffer from the DIMM slot problem that you're reading about here. You're problem is much more severe and is related to the Video subsystem. Do not apply pressure on the RAM slot as you're only creating more damage to the motherboard. Your laptop / motherboard has to come to NY. I don't think you're going to find anyone in Austrailia that will be able to repair this condition.

-------------------------------------------------------

Rishi,

What model Vaio do you have?

Thanks,

Joe Kabalan

Joe Kabalan
Nick Sandland Oct 09, 2006, 01:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi there, one more for the list. I bought a Vaio PCG-GRV616...Junk. It was about a month out of.... and you guess right. It died on me.

All I now get is a flashing battery light for battery one, and thats it. Im hoping that the local pc repair shop can sort something out for me but I dont hold out too much hope.

Jillian Carpenter Oct 09, 2006, 03:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 09, 2006, 03:13pm EDT

Wow...I wish I had seen this forum before I went and bought a Vaio.

Less than a year after buying my VGN S260, my laptop would sporadically go into hibernate mode mid-use. It didn't happen a lot, maybe monthly at most, but when it did happen it would occassionally happen in a little cluster. It would go into hibernate, I would have to start it back up, and it would do the same thing 2 or three times. I know nothing about technical aspects of computers so I had assumed it was a consequence of the sloppy, loose battery that I had heard was an annoying aspect of all S260's.

Two weeks ago while my brother was using it, the screen flickered, and came back on looking as though it was in safe mode, and a window popped up about drive abnormalities (wish I had read it better, but my brother shut it down before I could get a better look).

After the shut down I let it rest for a few minutes and tried to turn it on again---------nothing.
I tried again minutes later and the blue Vaio logo screen came up but it just froze there.

After that it never booted up again. The power light and battery light are both lit and the HD light stays lit for just a moment.

I saw a post on Sony's E-support site about motherboard problems and extending warranties an extra year. I'm going into this with the assumption that this is a motherboard problem. Two different customer service reps told me replacing it would be free of charge and even though my original warranty expired in January I could still take part in that one year warranty extension.

There are things on my hard drive I never backed up. I wanted to get an enclosure and try to recover anything I could but Sony told me if it seems tampered with they may not replace my motherboard, that I should leave a note with my laptop saying to not touch the hard drive and send the laptop back to me if it's not a motherboard issue so I can try and recover the files then.

What's the opinion?....Does this seem like a motherboard issue? Should I bother sending this to Sony at all and go elsewhere? Only my motherboard is covered (or at least that's the promise....I definately don't trust them) Is there something I should try on my own to diagnose this?--Other than throw it up in the air and shoot at it?

Thank you
:(

Joe K Oct 09, 2006, 08:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi JIllian,

If the system doesn't boot anymore, I wouldn't tamper with it. Send it to Sony and include a note to NOT delete or alter your data.

Thats about all you can do for now..

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Iman Oakley Oct 10, 2006, 10:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey Joe or any one,
I wrote in some time last week about a Vaio PGN-FJ290 that shut off on me after pushing Sony updates to it. All I get now are the power led's and the dvd drive working, no post testing, can't get into bios, no screen display, and no video. I've tried the paper clip trick to reset the bios and still the same thing. I know there has got to be someone else out there experiencing the same issues or someone that knows what to do to fix this besides replacing the board. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.