Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 997 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 04:52pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Paolo Tresoldi Oct 11, 2006, 05:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
I have a PCG-416G, purchased in Italy September 2002.
The first problem happened October 2005 : I had 2 memory cards of 256Mb, and the computer was showing only 256 available...the rest is history : I tried most of the tricks I read about ( moving memory from one slot to another, removing battery,...) and finally the PC stopped working. I switch it on, the led ar on, no boot. The local Sony Dealer here in Qatar ( Middle East) is Modern Home : they said it is the motherboard, that I have to buy a new computer as the part is not available and it is not economical to repair it.
I know I joined the forum a bit late, but I will try to sign the petition if it is still open...maybe .....who knows....
Paolo

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jim M Oct 11, 2006, 01:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Sony Vaio PCG - GRT996VP bought in UK has same problems and so far has cost me Ģ10 in phone bills to Sony and Ģ75 for diagnostics at a repair shop. All to no avail - the final diagnosis being that the bus coltroller eas overheating and I needed a new motherboard (yeah...pull the other one!)

After reading this excellent forum which I found by accident browsing Claudia is right!

I followed her instructions and swapped the rams around, then found that the ram in Slot 1 was faulty (512PC700 - Batch 0417064). I have replaced the ram in Slot 1 with that from Slot 2 and the laptop works. I can live with reduced ram.
I have also placed a piece of cardboard (safer than shrink wrap) over the top of the clips tp press the ram down and make a good connection.

Thanks for the help which has saved me the cost of the laptop (Ģ1800), a Sony bill for a new motherboard (Ģ500-600) and a great deal of hassle and time.

Jim in London
P.S. Im not a tech so forgive the language
--------------------------------------------

Claudia Tynes said:
Well, mind did. Take a look at the shrink wrap solution!! That's pretty cool!

Karen in Memphis

VanQu1sh

Jim M Oct 11, 2006, 01:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Forgot to add, Sony told me it was the motherboard faulty and I required a new one - actual diagnosis was bus controller overheating - WRONG Sony! Its the RAM
and you are costing many thousands of people many thousands of dollars and pounds.

Rishi Theva Oct 13, 2006, 03:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe,

I've got a Vaio PCG-FX103

Cheers,
Rishi.

Paolo Tresoldi Oct 13, 2006, 04:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Paolo Tresoldi Oct 13, 2006, 04:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone,

thanks to the forum I fixed the problem on my PCG-GRX416G !!!!!
Opened the RAM compartment, removed the RAM cards, re inserted RAM in slot 2.
The trick I used was to apply some double adhesive tape on the back of the RAM compartment cover ( 3 layers). The tape created a cushion which keeps the RAM pressed when closing the cover. Did the same with the slot 1 and now I am writing this post with my VAIO !!! In the meantime, as I was using the SONY for my job ( and it crashed in the middle of a project), I had to buy another PC, so I went for an ACER laptop for the office ( good PC, 1,000 US$ ), and listen listen, a MAC BOOK PRO for home ! I don't know what I will do with the VAIO, but as someone said : NO MORE SONY IN MY LIFE !!

Thanks again to everyone ! I will keep you posted...I want to see for how long the trick works with this machine !

Ciao
Paolo

Ronald MacLaren Oct 17, 2006, 02:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Is there any information I can get about joining a petition and Class Action Suit, because my Vaio wouldn't boot, I paid them to fix it, and now it doesn't work again.

Michael Tran Oct 18, 2006, 07:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Paolo,
Thank you for the trick!!!!!!!! I have a PCG-GRZ610 and the trick seems to work so far. GOOD JOB:) I'll keep y'all posted on this ..............

Paolo Tresoldi Oct 19, 2006, 01:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No problem mate, hope others can benefit from our tip !!
Cheers,

Paolo

nick hajek Oct 19, 2006, 06:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Job well done with JOE K.
I want to let everyonme know that Joe K in New york has helped me out with my problem. He is a guy with many answers and I recommened him to all of your. I had sent him my laptop and he called me immediatley and questions and what he was going to do. Payment was simple. and he knew exactly what is going on with my soldering the dimm slot issue. he fixed the ac jack that also had a loose connection which i thought ma have been the dimm slot problem too. my problems where the dimm slot, ( memory card issue) ac jack loose connection and a screen issue. Please send yor computer to him and not some idiot in your home town that is not sure what is wrong with your computer caus you will spend time and money just trying to solve it.

nick
san diego

Joe K Oct 20, 2006, 09:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the recommendation.

Rishi,

I would suggest that you disassemble the laptop again and go over all the parts and make sure no contact is being made where it shouldn't. That's about all I can suggest.

Joe Kabalan

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
=phokill= Oct 22, 2006, 07:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 22, 2006, 07:22pm EDT

Hi,

I know this topic is quite long and maybe someone has already asked about it but I think I have to post my experience.

I have a sony vaio pcg-fx210 and it showed this problem an year or two ago. Since then I didnīt use it anymore.

As soon I read this topic I tried to move the ram memory but it didnīt solved it.
When I hit the powwer button, all leds do the checkup and the only one that stays lite is power. Screen doesnīt show anything but I can hear (I think...) the ram count, the fan is functioning and HDD does make some normal sound but itīs led doesnīt remaing lite.

So I think the problem is the system board. Too bad for me... Good for Sony that can sell this for an outrageous price.
Warranty? Forget it. It's more than 4 years old.

I tried even to wash the system board just in case to solve some dust and other things.
I did this to another system board from my desktop and it works as a new one now.
I do insist that people donīt try to do this without some knowledge or professional directions. Itīs very risk if you donīt know what you're doing.
So it didnīt work with my vaio system board.

I think I have two options:
1- to get rid of my vaio from my window.
2- to buy a new or used system board if I want this working.

Does anyone know a problem with vaio pcg-fx210 system board that was fixed?

One more thing:
As Iīve seen there are enough different models fo this sony vaio that are showing this problem. Maybe the problem isnīt the system board or memory slot but the components they are using in it. Maybe the problem is some transistor (eek) or a bad component used in all mother boards. I hope you all understand what I mean.
If only I could know about eletronics...

Thanxs anyway

Marcos Capella
Santos, Brazil
marcos@capella.com.br

[ ]s
Marcos Capella
marcos@capella.com.br
============================
Jim Luders Oct 26, 2006, 11:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Howdy all.

I've found this site to possess a wealth of valuable info on tackling issues with Sony laptops, and I've already learnt heaps about issues I am currently experiencing with my own (a VAIO PCG - K86P; Australian model).

I now recognise that I have the all too frequently occurring RAM problem experienced by others around the globe, and although I've not gone hell-for-leather into meticulous examination of my laptop's problem, I'm pretty confident to conclude that my issue is one relating to hardware - ie. the likely faulty status of the memory slots' SODIMM pin-to-motherboard connections.

What I'm desperate to find out is whether there's a reliable repair place somewhere in Australia to take my machine, instead of having to 1)go to any old electronic repair shop or 2)(God forbid) doing my own repairs. If there happened to be a Joe Kabalan-type setup here in Australia, I wouldn't hesitate to go there but I'm furiously searching around for one. Anyone out there got a lead?

Cheers, and congrats to both site creators and all worthy entries.

Jim L (Canberra, Australia)

PS: I got a real laugh out of reading a bunch of posts (and replies) to this site around early-mid 2005, when some peanut-brained tragedy called Derek G was trying to discredit Joe's universally good work. Is that clown still out there and causing trouble, or has he now moved on to irritate some other poor undeserving website forum...............??

Jim Luders Oct 26, 2006, 11:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I forgot to add another question................

Has there been any advancement in getting successful class actions filed against Sony regarding this, and other problems with their faulty products? I just feel we all seem to have copped a fairly hard deal from Sony, especially those of us (seemingly in our millions worldwide) who've not only been sold faulty products, but more annoying is the common occurrence of Sony products starting to really pack it in after the warranties expire. I smell a seriously healthy rat here, and I don't confine this phenomenom to Sony alone, but to an increasing number of larger sized companies involved in the manufacturing and retailing of goods like these...................................

Sorry - I know this site's exclusively set up for computer hardware feedback, but sometimes I can't help myself when I (and so many others) are yet again victims of such negative white collar crimes committed by large and powerful corporations.

Jim L

Ryan Lytle Oct 30, 2006, 11:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello All,

I was hoping for a little help and perhaps a reference. I have a Sony PCG-FX240 which my company sent me a while back. It has 256 of Ram and was running XP and was moving at a crawl. I bought a HP DV6015US and figured I would let my daughter use the Sony for her schoolwork so I formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 2K Pro on it and it was running great. I installed all of the driver updates Sony Recommends on their site and they also recommend that you flash the Bios when upgrading the OS (Originally came with ME) Well, the Bios didn't take and now it won't boot. I also realized the touchpad didn't work but that doesn't concern me as much as the Bios. It will read the floppy drive but I have no video and I considered purchasing the ISA Video Card to be able to see what was happening but I was wondering if anyone has any alternate suggestions or knows anyone who can fix this relatively cheap, as the laptop is not worth that much to begin with.

I apologize if the answer to this has already been posted somewhere but I don't have time to read 81 pages of threads.

Thanks for your time,

Ryan L

Joe K Oct 30, 2006, 02:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Ryan,

You cannot connect an ISA video card to this laptop. Unfortunately, you do not have many options in this case but to either find a replacement motherboard or have a repair facility repair the BIOS and or replace the BIOS chip.

We do offer this service if you're interested. Please contact me for more details.

Thanks.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
=phokill= Oct 30, 2006, 02:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe K

Which would be the symptoms of a BIOS failure?
And in your experience can a mother board be fixed?

thanxs

[ ]s
Marcos Capella
marcos@capella.com.br
Joe K Oct 30, 2006, 11:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Hari,

The VGN-T series doesn't suffer from the RAM slot problem. They suffer from similar problems but with various surface mount components on the motherboard. We're currrently working on a solutiion for the T series freezing / no boot problem.

Thanks,

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Joe K Oct 30, 2006, 11:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HI Marcos,

With the FXA series (your FX210 is along the same lines as the FXA) your problem is either,

A: Bad CPU
B: Bad BIOS chip
C: North Bridge (CPU host chip) Fault
D: Video Chip Fault

Your model will never suffer from a bad memory socket unless someone damaged it.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
=phokill= Oct 31, 2006, 10:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe

I do think so as it didnīt begin to work bad.
It just didnīt start anymore.
Memories were cleaned as mother board was also washed... hehehe
It still turns on the lights but all go off except battery and power.

Thanxs for all.

[ ]s
Marcos Capella
marcos@capella.com.br

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.