Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 999 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 04:52pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Jonas Werner Dec 26, 2006, 06:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hi!

Have three VAIO Laptops with different kinds of problems:

1: S3XP with broken LCD - nice big lines across the screen.. how difficult is it to change the screen by yourself?
2: an Ultraportable - don't have it with me right now..stone dead - will not make a sound or visible sign, charger is working (tested on other computer).
3: VGN-TX770P that is showing an orange battery icon and wireless/BT icons and sound like its starting up but nothing is shown on the screen and it doesn't boot.

All computers are less than one year old and the latter two stopped working when the lid was closed. The computers are bought in Las Vegas and I'm in Sweden.
Do you have any tips (other than not buying any more VAIO's) :-) ?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Lorna Howell Jan 07, 2007, 12:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a VGN-A115S. I have the same experience as everyone here - I went to boot up my vaio and although there is a green light on the adapter, no lights on the laptop, no sounds - nothing!! I've tried the memory module methods that have been successful some here but not for me unfortunately. Does anyone know someone here in the UK that can rescue my vaio please?

Alex Daniels Jan 07, 2007, 02:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
let me first apologize for the repost, as im sure this is,

but ive trolled through the chaos that is this forum and still find myself lost.

pcg-fx250 green light and two amber lights remain on.. nothing else happens

tried shuffling the memory and applying pressure to the dimms
still same result.

help would be appreciated

agdaniels at radford dot edu

thanks in advance

Daniel Burcham Jan 08, 2007, 09:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I run a computer repair business in Arkansas and today I had a Sony Vaio VGN-FS660W dropped off to me with boot problems...Earlier today I retarted it about hal a dozen times b4 I got it to boot up....but when I ran updates on it because they were so out of date and restarted it, it will not come back up been workin on for over 5 hours now.....I did some of the suggestions posted here about reseating memory etc but all to no avail....Sont Tech is no help so Maybe someone here can give me some info on what else I might try

kevin pearce Jan 09, 2007, 11:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A rare success story (so far) for people with sony motherboard/memory problems:

I have a year+ old Vaio T-150 that started freezing every time I moved or touched it. Needless to say Sony was useless. Found a place in Florida that does the memory fix (Pell Technologies); they said they could fix it, but when I sent it, they said it was a faulty motherboard and offered to replace it for $800.(They are nice people but very slow.)

In desperation reached out to Joe K on this board, who has been experimenting with fixing T-series problems. Six days and $200 later i had my computer back working perfectly. Only two months so far, but i can't recommend Joe strongly enough.

kpearce
(I freakin hate Sony now, but where else can you find a 2.8 pd thin computer with 6 hours of battery?)

Ell S Jan 09, 2007, 02:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FXA47... That wouldn't boot also .Everytime i push the power button just the green and battery light will flash for about 1millisecond ... then nothing happens ....
I've tried to take the battery out , pull the harddrive out, pull both of the memory sticks out unplugged the DC and let it sit for at least 24 hours .... And then put all of the stuff back in place still nothing Happens. Thought it might be a faulty memory slots , so I tested it 1 memory at a time , Still nothing happens... I even tried to put another hardrive in it Still wouldn't boot. Any Ideas ??? thank you ...

Irene Bevilacqua Jan 09, 2007, 03:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 09, 2007, 03:12pm EST

The only thing that helped me, short of using a sledge hammer, is sending it back to Best Buy who in turn sent it out to Sony. I have a 3yr warranty and Lord knows I never buy those things and don't know what possessed me to then. However, they replaced the motherboard and put in a new hard drive and so far it's been powering back on. I had other issues though: after screwing around with the power for 20-30 mins. trying to turn the thing on, when it turned on it went straight to Safe Mode. I was able to work in Safe Mode, go online, etc. On a rare occasion, I'd actually boot into Windows and within 10 minutes, the video display went crazy and sent me to a reboot into Safe Mode. That happened about 5 times. I reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled everything, and after Windows started up, I got booted back to Safe Mode with absolutely no applications yet installed! I actually thought it was a video problem besides a power problem, and thought it could be a fried motherboard, as it never powered back on again.

Don't know how long the new stuff will last as I don't use that notebook very often (VGN260), but I asked if they fixed the power on problem and the Best Buy "Geeks" shrugged their shoulders! They did say Sony has 3 times to fix the problem or they have to replace the notebook with a new one. Yeah, right. I say, "It's Hammer Time" if this happens again! Time will tell.

PS: I bought a new Toshiba which runs flawlessly just in case the Sony dies permanently!

Sue Oxley Jan 14, 2007, 10:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
We have a Sony viao FS515 and twice we have had blank screen with lights on at the front - green and orange, but when you try the power/on switch nothing happens. This has worked each time - (from telephone enquiry service linked to our supplier)

take out battery
hold down power button for 30 seconds
plug in mains
touch power button to switch on
voila!!

Regards,

Sue

p h Jan 14, 2007, 11:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hiya,all....my first post.....

I was going to chuck my daughter Vaio because of boot up problems ect ect,it would work for a day....3 days or even a week and then dead.

Then the whole thing would happen again,would it work or not.I tried the sony help line and they could not help,i tried my local store that fixes laptops-they could not tell me what was wrong.BUT this forum has saved my daughhters laptop from the skip.

I looked inside could see that there were 2 memory cards and took the one out that was not held in place by metal clips and have no problems since.

Thanks to the people who posted this info.....

Paul

filipe bergonsi Jan 15, 2007, 10:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a vaio vgn-sz120P/B who shows exactly the sintoms of a slot problem. i have no words to describe how much i'm disapointed with sony... slot problem... what a hell! i never ever think sony was amateur enougt to produce a notebook with this kind of problem!! I bought it a less than a year, and tcnicaly it is in warranty. However, i'm living in Brazil, and here there is no warranty to vaio buyed in US. So my question is: Anyone know a service to subscribe my warranty in US? Anyone knows who is repairing the slot problem in vaio and if he knows anything about this problem in SZ series?
thanks
filipe

Miguel Correia Jan 16, 2007, 03:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi...

I've got a Sony Vaio VGN-FE21M laptop... and 3 days ago after restarting it just froze after the hardware analysis and before the windows xp boot (that pretty screen with the windows xp logo and a loading bar before actually starting windows)... After restarting the laptop yet again it would froze on the menu to choose a boot mode if i chose to start windows normally... and would go to the same black screen if i chose to select last known working features... It would only boot on safe mode!

I tried to restore using the windows cd, and it didnt work... tried to access to the vaio restore tools they where damaged... So... i decided to format the computer...

The format process went normally and the new windows installation to (I installed the Windows XP Profession SP3 Most Wanted version)... i started to install drivers and after installing some of them i restarted the computer, and the same problem occurred!... So, i went to format the computer again... again it went perfectly... when i had windows i installed the drivers one by one to seek a driver that would give me that problem... i installed the all driver package and nothing happened!...

The computer seemed perfect again... but... after a day... it went bad on me again!...

I'm just going to try to star a linux live cd to check if it finds any hardware problems!...

But i'm just about ready to go to VAIO support, because the laptop is only 5months old... but as I did format the computer i lost the Software Warranty...

SO,
if anyone knows what's going on... if it's a software or hardware problem please contact me urgently... i would prefer you sent me an e-mail to: miguel.mcorreia@gmail.com

Thank you for all of you who read and tried to solve my problem,
I appreciate a quick response...
Miguel Correia

(sorry for my spelling errors... but english isn't my first language! :~)

David Krumme Jan 17, 2007, 11:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I saw the same behavior. The description of the lights initially blinking, briefly, at startup was an important clue. There were faint typical startup noises, too. Then just a black hole.

Removing a memory stick cured the problem.

Erin Cady Jan 23, 2007, 09:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 23, 2007, 09:58pm EST

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-S150, 2 yrs old, same problems as others on this post.

Push the power button and the LED lights on the front turn on but the pc doesn't boot up. Then unplug it or take out the battery or hold the power button down to turn it off.
Repeat 20 times and it finally boots up. So I went to the sony support site and found this...

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=109&mdl=VGNS150

Shock! my warranty just ran out so it isn't covered. Repair estimate from Sony = $700.

I filed a complaint against the Sony NYC office, with the Better Business Bureau. I would suggest you all do the same. It is completely rediculous. I hate Sony. Will never buy another one again. Their tech and customer support are completely useless.

Miguel Correia Jan 25, 2007, 01:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 25, 2007, 01:56pm EST

I'm with you on that one!...

Vaio's e-link and/or tech support sucks and it's virtually useless!... They ask a lot of money just for looking at the pc and actually doing nothing with it...

My advice: be very alert for vaio problems and see if your's has it before your warranty runs out... don't format your pc (you will lose the software warranty and any problem you have with the pc they will just say it was the software!)... use your warranty and send in the pc!...

by the way i solved the problem in mine! yahoo!... actually it wasn't hardware related but a strange string of a virus!... but it did made me hate vaio's tech policy!

* * Jan 28, 2007, 01:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 11:07am EDT

rob pelletier Jan 30, 2007, 09:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello, I have read through almost this entire discussion and I am very confused about where to put the shrink tube. Some people say on top of the memory others say underneath. If the laptop top is upside down, is the shrink tube supposed to be put on top over the white bracket in between the memory cover and the memory? Could someone please be very specific. I just want to make sure is all.

* * Jan 30, 2007, 02:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 11:07am EDT

Tim Vance Jan 31, 2007, 12:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Have a few Vaio PCG-GRT250P laptops. One did the same thing. I had a green power light, but the disc light would flash for a moment and then go away. The battery charging light would blink, but that was all. Display hung on the Vaio logo. Totally non-reponsive. Pulled out the 512mb out of slot 2 and ShazzAAM! Guess I can use the DDR for a paperweight? The laptop is running fine. Maybe a bit slower, I dunno. Good enough for me. Biggest question... Is it the RAM or the slot? :/

* * Jan 31, 2007, 12:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 11:09am EDT

jason tern Feb 06, 2007, 09:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a sony fxa47 and it just went out a couple of weeks ago. i have tried the solutions that you guys have posted before and nothing (cmos, ram, hibernate switch, etc.). mine just have a green blink for a milisecond and thats it. no spinning fans or anything. I got a new power adapter and battery a year ago and i dont think it that would be it.

i cant believe there are so many that had this problem- and sony would not do anything like a recall. i will never buy sony again (not even the ps3- my ps2 had problems)

are there any other solutions or should i just get my hammer on it?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.