Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1107 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:04am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Tom Pappas Feb 12, 2007, 04:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> DON'T DO IT!!!!!!
We have done the memory slot repair on hundreds of these things, and we find that many that have had something jammed in between the sockets and cover CANNOT BE REPAIRED without changing out the mother board.

Just because someone else got away with is no guarantee.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Grant Inouye Feb 18, 2007, 03:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
My brother in law has a GRX520 and his computer wouldn't boot. I had a feeling it was the memory, and was going to buy another 256 MB memory, but then search google and found your story. I moved the memory chip to the other slot and the computer booted. Thanks, or at least thanks from my brother in law.

Don Davis Feb 21, 2007, 05:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a GRX570 that has the SODIMM memory module problem. Unlike most othere my problem is with the #1 slot. My son and I found the problem through many hours of troubleshooting, including formatting the HD. My son did a search and found this forum, which seems to confirm the problem.
Any news on Sony's response or lack thereof?
One good thing to come of this mess, is that I found this site.
:)Don

Liz Caligiuri Feb 24, 2007, 10:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Sony Vaio PCGGRX500P that was working earlier this morning and then went dead. The battery is fully charged. I've had to buy an external monitor for it as the monitor was going bad. When I tried to reboot, I got the same green and amber lights that everyone here has described. I am going to try removing the memory from the #2 slot as described in a posting on page one and hope it works.

I am so grateful for the advice I've found here! I will let you know if it works.

Liz

Justin Roths Feb 24, 2007, 11:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Hoping To Contact Tom Pappas
Tom,

It looks like you still monitor this forum, so hopefully you'll see this message. I sent you a laptop in need of repair for a memory slot problem two weeks ago. I still haven't received a verification from you that you got the package, but the carrier shows delivery. I sent you another email last week just asking for a simple acknowledgement that you received the package, and have gotten no response from that email either.

I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for the lack of response. The feedback others have given you here, on your guestbook, and on eBay is all great, which is why I had faith that it was a safe too send the computer to you. But I'm beginning to become very concerned that something is wrong now. Please contact me.

Justin Roths
justinroths@gmail.com

Joe K Feb 26, 2007, 11:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Lorna Howell Jan 07, 2007, 12:07 PM Reply - Quote - Alert Moderators
Send Message - Add to Buddy List
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hi,

I have a VGN-A115S. I have the same experience as everyone here - I went to boot up my vaio and although there is a green light on the adapter, no lights on the laptop, no sounds - nothing!! I've tried the memory module methods that have been successful some here but not for me unfortunately. Does anyone know someone here in the UK that can rescue my vaio please?

------------>Joe K: Lorna, The VGN-A series does not suffer from a RAM slot problem. The A series issues are more severe and difficult to repair.

==================================

Alex Daniels Jan 07, 2007, 02:05 PM Reply - Quote - Alert Moderators
let me first apologize for the repost, as im sure this is,

but ive trolled through the chaos that is this forum and still find myself lost.

pcg-fx250 green light and two amber lights remain on.. nothing else happens

tried shuffling the memory and applying pressure to the dimms
still same result.

help would be appreciated

agdaniels at radford dot edu

----------> Joe K: Your FX series may suffer from a bad DIMM slot. Only the slot clostest to the rear of the system is prone to defect. The front slot should be fully functional. Once you get the 3 lights to stay on the system needs to be reset. With the 3 lights on, hit the reset button (in the oin hole on thebottom of the laptop) to clear it. Now, only install RAM into the front slot and see if you get video. The rear slot will still need to be repaired.

================================

Daniel Burcham Jan 08, 2007, 09:10 PM Reply - Quote - Alert Moderators
I run a computer repair business in Arkansas and today I had a Sony Vaio VGN-FS660W dropped off to me with boot problems...Earlier today I retarted it about hal a dozen times b4 I got it to boot up....but when I ran updates on it because they were so out of date and restarted it, it will not come back up been workin on for over 5 hours now.....I did some of the suggestions posted here about reseating memory etc but all to no avail....Sont Tech is no help so Maybe someone here can give me some info on what else I might try

-----------> Joe K: Dan, the VGN-FS series does not suffer from a RAM slot problem. This is probably a more severe condition. We're currently developing a solution for the FS boot problem.

=================================

filipe bergonsi Jan 15, 2007, 10:55 AM Reply - Quote - Alert Moderators
I have a vaio vgn-sz120P/B who shows exactly the sintoms of a slot problem. i have no words to describe how much i'm disapointed with sony... slot problem... what a hell! i never ever think sony was amateur enougt to produce a notebook with this kind of problem!! I bought it a less than a year, and tcnicaly it is in warranty. However, i'm living in Brazil, and here there is no warranty to vaio buyed in US. So my question is: Anyone know a service to subscribe my warranty in US? Anyone knows who is repairing the slot problem in vaio and if he knows anything about this problem in SZ series?
thanks
filipe

---------->Joe K: No memory slot issues with the VGN-SZ series. Obviously something else is the cause.

==================================

Erin Cady Jan 23, 2007, 09:52 PM Reply - Quote - Alert Moderators
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-S150, 2 yrs old, same problems as others on this post.

Push the power button and the LED lights on the front turn on but the pc doesn't boot up. Then unplug it or take out the battery or hold the power button down to turn it off.
Repeat 20 times and it finally boots up. So I went to the sony support site and found this...

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=109&mdl=VGNS150

Shock! my warranty just ran out so it isn't covered. Repair estimate from Sony = $700.

I filed a complaint against the Sony NYC office, with the Better Business Bureau. I would suggest you all do the same. It is completely rediculous. I hate Sony. Will never buy another one again. Their tech and customer support are completely useless.

-------> Joe K: This is a developed solution: http://www.aqstech.com/vaio3.html This is a pretty complicated repair. The removal and reballing / remounting of the video chip is the easiest part of this repair. There is much more involved with this repair.

========================================

Tim Vance Jan 31, 2007, 12:34 PM Reply - Quote - Alert Moderators
Have a few Vaio PCG-GRT250P laptops. One did the same thing. I had a green power light, but the disc light would flash for a moment and then go away. The battery charging light would blink, but that was all. Display hung on the Vaio logo. Totally non-reponsive. Pulled out the 512mb out of slot 2 and ShazzAAM! Guess I can use the DDR for a paperweight? The laptop is running fine. Maybe a bit slower, I dunno. Good enough for me. Biggest question... Is it the RAM or the slot?

-------> Joe K. Probably a RAM chip fault. Have you taken the working RAM from the otehr slot and installed it into the "suspect" slot? Haven't seen too many or any GRT's with a bad slot.

=======================================

jason tern Feb 06, 2007, 09:52 PM Reply - Quote - Alert Moderators
I have a sony fxa47 and it just went out a couple of weeks ago. i have tried the solutions that you guys have posted before and nothing (cmos, ram, hibernate switch, etc.). mine just have a green blink for a milisecond and thats it. no spinning fans or anything. I got a new power adapter and battery a year ago and i dont think it that would be it.

i cant believe there are so many that had this problem- and sony would not do anything like a recall. i will never buy sony again (not even the ps3- my ps2 had problems)

are there any other solutions or should i just get my hammer on it?

---------> Joe K: Given the history of the FXA series, this is more than likely an internal short in one of the sub-systems on the motherboard.

==========================================

Don Davis Feb 21, 2007, 05:02 PM Reply - Quote - Alert Moderators
I have a GRX570 that has the SODIMM memory module problem. Unlike most othere my problem is with the #1 slot. My son and I found the problem through many hours of troubleshooting, including formatting the HD. My son did a search and found this forum, which seems to confirm the problem.
Any news on Sony's response or lack thereof?
One good thing to come of this mess, is that I found this site.
Don

---------> Joe K: Don, the system is now too old for Sony to be "forced" to take action on (in my opinion).

=========================================

Just an update:

The Vaio models with the prefix of: VGN have yet to show any signs of the memory slot problem. They may show symptoms that are similar but none of these models have
proven to be related to a DIMM slot problem.

The VGN-FS and VGN-T series boot / freeze problems / solutions are under development. They are very difficult coditions to resolve but not impossible.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Liz Caligiuri Feb 26, 2007, 11:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Shantan,

We took out slot 2 and rebooted, same results. Then replaced slot 2 and took out slot 1 as someone mentioned and rebooted, same results. Then replaced slot 1 and rebooted. Computer rebooted and froze @ desktop. Took out battery rebooted and had reboot and freezing. Then at the next restart the black screen and flickering amber then dead again began.

I had called Sony, not very helpful unfortunately. I took the Vaio to Best Buy and had them harvest info from my hard drive and then went to Apple and bought a Mac Mini. Wow what an amazing machine.

I will deal with the aftermath as I can with my Vaio. The LCD had failed last fall so I had purchased a flat screen monitor. I was trying to back up the computer as it was getting slower and slower even though all the Norton AntiVirus and SpyWare Dr and AdAware scans always came back clean. We think it was just dying and finally did.

Do you think it's worth fiddling with anymore?

Liz

joji george Feb 27, 2007, 01:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Dear Friends,

LCD Screen of my laptop model VGN-TX750P has broken. I am in Delhi

Sony India says I have to return the unit to USA for repair.

Could you please help us to get one LCD Screen 11.1" for the same so that I can save money on to & from freight charges for returning the Computer to USA,

My email id is joji.mg@gmail.com

Many thanks for your kind help

joji george Feb 27, 2007, 01:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Dear Friends,

Could you please help us to get one LCD Screen 11.1" for the same so that I can save money on to & from freight charges for returning the Computer to USA,

na na Feb 28, 2007, 02:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 28, 2007, 02:23pm EST

The broken LCD is going to cost you approx $700 plus international shipping both ways if you want Sony to do the work. You are looking to spend approx $800-900 total after shipping etc.

You can directly buy the LCD from sony parts support for cheaper, possibly around $400-500 and pay someone else to do it in India. you'll need to call sony support to get a part number for the lcd and phone number for sony parts support.

joji george said:

Dear Friends,

na na Feb 28, 2007, 05:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 28, 2007, 05:34pm EST

The technical side of laptops and why they fail. For the past 5 yrs I have seen people miss use their laptops, break it and blame it on someone else. Intermittent issues? Holding the laptops by a corner with one hand means flexing the internal components and causing damage . Upgrading RAM? Not checking the memory module's thickness will more than likely cause damage to the plastic RAM slots and its pins. Further more I have seen units get dropped on puffy carpets or in their brief cases, show no sign of physical damage but it got damaged internally. And lastly some brands, models, series take more abuse than others; now compare this with people who take better care of their products than other people (lot's of variables eh).

For those having problems with their electronic products after their 1 year factory warranty, it's time to chalk it up and stop complaining. When you purchased a product with a clear disclaimer stating a 1 year warranty against factory defects, it means you agreed to a 1 year warranty for FACTORY defects only, no exceptions. This means if you call tech support to request a free factory detect repair after the warranty is over, the odds are not in your favor (don't get mad if you don't get a freebie). If you dropped the unit cracking the LCD screen, bent the combo drive, broke the keyboard, etc these are not FACTORY DEFECTS and don't bother trying to give a company a bad name for not fixing it for free (be an honest individual). And if you don't understand this, more than likely you will have bad experiences with any company, for not legally understanding the terms and conditions that you agreed to when product was purchased.

Have a great day !

* * Feb 28, 2007, 05:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2007, 11:09am EDT

patrick johnston Mar 01, 2007, 11:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I wish that I had come across this forum sooner. I have been having trouble with my sony for some time and have talked to several "techs" and they all said that it was he hard drive, so after spending the bucks for a new hard drive, and I had to spend the extra money for a 120gig, it still didn't work. the next thing that they told me was hat the power cord was bad. I replaced and still no luck. Trick three, the battery. You guessed it no luck. But after trying the cd shim, it seems to be working. The one thing tat I failed to mention was that between steps two and three I decided to give in and buy a new laptop. this time I choose a new mac and it is wonderful. The sony will go to my girlfriend, as her ancient IBM 390x is just not doing the trick. But, I digress, thanks for the advice and sony will be getting a phone call and am e-mail. Good luck to all.

rob f Mar 02, 2007, 12:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 02, 2007, 12:14am EST

my warranty just ran out and what do ya know my pcg-7d2Lis dead, no light nothing at all!
called sony tech, they did the usual crap, take out the batter put it back in and nothing at all!

well i just emailed joe and hopefully i can send it to him for a fix!

this is so rediculous , i could barley afford a laptop and id exspect it to last for many yrs and 1 yr later have a 1200 dollar piece of plastic i want to fling out the window!

Johannes Franke Mar 02, 2007, 07:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 05, 2007, 07:38am EST

Pretty sad, now it's happened to me as well. My 5-year-old GRX416 froze during a nice game of chess erm... Unreal Tournament, and refused to boot after that. As many have described before, power is up, LEDs on, hard disk running, but screen stays blank. I already knew about the "dying DIMM slot" issue at that time, and always hoped I might have been lucky... no longer. After removing the 2nd 512MB DIMM, everything was fine again. I am determined that this is a defective-by-design thing, assuming that it has to do with improper soldering of the slots. As it seems, it doesn't even matter if you ever touch the slots or not as there are reports here about devices never opened or changed in any way, and nevertheless becoming defective. I think it is safe to say that Sony inofficially knows about it but didn't change anything ever after. Tell them about it and face a wall of incomprehension. Less safe but kind of presumably, even their newest notebooks might run into this problem one day.
But that is not the only point they didn't fix despite consciously producing a mass of defective hardware. Sony once replaced the whole mainboard of my GRX after it suffered a lot of random "hard" shutdowns. As I found out in some forums, I was not the only one affected by this. Someone found out that the reason was the capacitors supposed to stabilize the CPU's power supply. They were either under-dimensioned or failed due to high temperature impact, whatever. The board was replaced 1,5 years after I bought the notebook, and 2 years later the same problem showed up again. I replaced the capacitors in question and had a stable notebook ever since... until the RAM slot died.
Damn! And in the meantime, I purchased another VAIO (VGN-BX197XP), hoping they had learned from their mistakes. I guess I will see within the next 3 years or so... :~
By the way, the VGN has a massive issue about its fan control. Never heard another notebook this loud! At least, the 5th BIOS update turned it from police siren type to a constant 75% rotation noise. Well done, SONY! >:o(
Consequently, I won't buy any SONY laptop again. Kind of a hard decision to make as I really like VAIO style unless defective, these are really my kind of notebooks!
Well, their HiFi equipment is great, though, so I won't turn my back on them completely.

na na Mar 02, 2007, 09:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 02, 2007, 09:18am EST

its funny how a piece of a equipment is able to make decisions on its own when to go bad after it has been working for over a year.

rob f Mar 02, 2007, 09:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 02, 2007, 09:19am EST

Is joe still doing these repairs for $150? i would like to use joe since im close to him in new jersey, but if not ill send to tom! I would also like to get the laptop out to him today , so if anyone knows if hes on vacation or something please let me know!

On another note is there a chance the ac adapter is the problem? the green light does go on , but is it normal for the light to stay on for about 30 seconds after unplugging it?
how far is the pin supposed to be inside the jack, maybe mine broke because i would say it runs halfway to 3/4 the lengh of the jack!
when i say pin , i mean the actual pin inside the ac jack.

rob f Mar 02, 2007, 10:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 02, 2007, 10:44am EST

na na said:
its funny how a piece of a equipment is able to make decisions on its own when to go bad after it has been working for over a year.

are you the sony tech i talked to on the phone yesterday that knows less bout computers then me?

there are quite of few companies out there that would fix something free of charge when your notebook is a few weeks past warrenty!

heck i had a canon camera over 3 yrs old totally replaced free of charge when i wrote a letter to the corporate office!
some companies care about thier customers!

na na Mar 02, 2007, 02:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
rob f said:
na na said:

are you the sony tech i talked to on the phone yesterday that knows less bout computers then me?

there are quite of few companies out there that would fix something free of charge when your notebook is a few weeks past warrenty!

heck i had a canon camera over 3 yrs old totally replaced free of charge when i wrote a letter to the corporate office!
some companies care about thier customers!

I doubt it was me.

Yes most companies would concession a bad accessory or repair if the unit is within a few weeks or months out of warranty for customer satisfaction reassons. Usually is on a case by case bases, depending on the situation but a company or agents are not obligated to give freebies simply because someone is not happy. Specially after their product broke down 3 years later and start sending letters with threats. And yest I agree with you, a company should take care of their customers but only the honest ones or otherwise they'll run out of business !

John Smith Mar 05, 2007, 04:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i am having a somewhat similar problem but with slightly different symptoms and i REALLY need help because i use this laptop for school. i have a vaio vgn-s150 and out of the blue my computer started randomly turning off. the battery isnt being recognized anymore either even though it was working fine the day before. i keep getting a message saying this battery isnt a genuine sony battery, even tho it is. i know the battery is fine. when i have the battery in the battery light keeps flashing orange rapidly, i dont know if that is normal. when the computer is working off DC power only and the battery is taken out it will still power off at random times. i dont know if this is overheating or a bad motherboard or what? i'd appreciate any help i can get. thanks

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.