Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1166 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:33pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
hemili hemilio Mar 24, 2007, 02:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?

I have a new Sony VIO SZ4V model which is quiet fast and light. I was very happy working with it but after two weeks it's sound stopped working. A red cross appeared next to speaker icon on wndows bar and the message "no output device is available" was shown whenever mouse pointer got close to speaker icon.
First I guessed this is because of virus but virus checking shows no infection. Also recently I face problems in wireless conntection.
Does anybody has any experience?

Best Regards
Hemili

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
fred kingsley Mar 28, 2007, 03:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Reminder:Consumer Fraud Cases

Hapner v. Sony Corporation-filed in 2005, Feldman is co-counsel with three other firms against Sony Corp. The suit seeks certification of a national class of purchasers of Sony Vaio GRX series laptop computers. The suit alleges that Sony violated various consumer protection laws when it manufactured and marketed its Sony Vaio series laptop computers. As alleged, these laptops all had a defective memory slot which causes the computer to malfunction. The suit is pending in Superior Court of California, San Diego County. If you purchased a Sony Vaio GRX series laptop computer and would like more information, please contact our firm. Click here for complaint in pdf format.

http://leflaw.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op...AGE_id=276

http://virtuallawnetwork.com/sony.pdf

Jwala SP Mar 29, 2007, 05:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mine is SONY VAIO PCG-7R2L

When i switch on the laptop, i could not see the display, all the 3 lights(scroll lock, numlock, capslock) are on., i guess the booting is also not taking place. the hard disk is also not detected.
I tried to restart by holding the power button for 10 secs.

But the same is observed again. I did not find the restart button(tiny hole at the bottom)

So can anyone tell me where the restart button will be for my model laptop.

philtec Apr 08, 2007, 09:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is a copy of the service online that I just received from a Sony tech chat.
Has the class action lawsuit come up yet.
Mine is a PCG-GRX560 and the memory socket problem started a year ago after it worked fine for 3 years.

LiveAssist Chat
Status: Analyst Parker_ is here and your issue status is: working
Problem: Has sony resolved the problem with the memory board sockets only working in one slot and not the other. My laptop started this problem last year and will only work with one memory board installed, not both. I have found a forum with an 85 page thread.
End Session
user Jeff Schaffer has entered room

analyst Parker_ has entered room

Parker_>
Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst

Parker_>
Hi Jeff. Welcome to Sony Online Support. Iím Parker. Please allow me a brief moment to review your concern.

Jeff Schaffer>
This is the thread of my problem----------http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/5449/

Jeff Schaffer>
There has been a class action suit brought against sony about this problem ( GRX won't boot). Has it been resolved???

Parker_>
Please stay online while I check this information for you.

Jeff Schaffer>
This problem happened to me in March 2006 since that time I have been using only one memory board(SLOW).I just found this forum and put the second board in and placed silicon rubber tubing against both boards screwed down the cover to compress the tubing,it now boots up and shows both boards as recognized (512).(only worked for one boot-up then crashed and would not boot untill I removed one board)

Parker_>
Jeff, are you referring to the installation of RAM module in the Computer?

Jeff Schaffer>
I brought this non-bootable computer to the Best Buy geek squad last year(with both boards installed) they could not fix it and refunded my money. I took it home and removed one memory board and it has worked since.

Jeff Schaffer>
The RAM module is the problem I am refering to.

Parker_>
Have you tried interchanging the RAM Module in the two slots?

Jeff Schaffer>
Yes I am very computer savy

Jeff Schaffer>
That interchanging did not change a thing

Jeff Schaffer>
It would only boot with one board installed not both

Jeff Schaffer>
Has sony recognized this problem//

Parker_>
I'm sorry, Jeff, this issue seems to be a rare case and has not affected most Notebooks. I suggest that you get the unit serviced to repair the defect in the Memory Slot.

Jeff Schaffer>
If you read the forum there are at least 2000+ people who have signed a petition, me included and some where told just what you are telling me. HAS SONY RECOGNIZED THIS PROBLEM??? Is 2000+ a rare case??

Parker_>
I'm sorry Jeff, Sony has not identified the above mentioned defect as a design issue, nor has an update been released.

Jeff Schaffer>
Is there some way you could check on the class action suit brought against sony about this issue.

Jeff Schaffer>
Have you checked out the forum that I am refering to?

Parker_>
Yes, I've read the data in the forum.

Jeff Schaffer>
What do you think afer looking at some of the posts?

Parker_>
I'm sorry for the delay.

Parker_>
Jeff, the issue seems to be affecting different Notebooks, however, Sony does not support data listed on third party websites.

Parker_>
The Memory Slot becoming loose, etc happens in rare cases and it can be surely corrected with service.

Jeff Schaffer>
I have already replaced the hard drive and the modum in this unit. Is there any chance of you emailing me the pages of the repair manual to get to the underside of the motherboard so I can resolder the memory slots.

Parker_>
Jeff, as much as I would like to assist you, the service manual for the Computer is available with the repair personnel and it may be available for purchase with the Sony DAPC team,

Parker_>
You can contact our Direct Accessories and Parts Center at the number 1-800-488-7669.

Parker_>
The hours of operation are as follows:
7:00 am to 9:00 pm Monday through Friday, Central Time.
8:00 am to 6:00 pm on Saturdays, Central Time.
11:00 am to 5:00 pm on Sundays, Central Time.

Jeff Schaffer>
I own a company that manufactures layer measurement equiptment for semiconductor wafer companys. I am very capable of doing this repair myself.

Parker_>
Jeff, Sony does not recommend customers to service the unit themselves, as this may void the warranty on the unit and also may result in permanent damage to the unit. But, it seems that you're well versed with these units, you may do the service at your own risk.

Jeff Schaffer>
Thank You Parker

Parker_>
The service manual may be available for purchase at the Sony DAPC.

Parker_>
It's not listed for online download or purchase.

Jeff Schaffer>
The warranty was up 4 years ago.

Parker_>
Oh, now I understand why you wish to service the unit yourself.

Parker_>
Is there anything else I may assist you with today?

Jeff Schaffer>
Thanks For your time!!

Parker_>
You're welcome.

Parker_>
It has been a pleasure to assist you.

David Kessler Apr 08, 2007, 05:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow, it has the feel of a robot on the other end of that dialog!
David

David Kessler Apr 08, 2007, 06:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
To na na about equipment knowing that it should fail after a year:
I bought my PCG-GRX560 with an extended warranty. After 14 months, the memory slot problem started to appear. I lived with it for a number of months until it became intolerable. After some effort I convince a Sony technician that it was a hardware problem (he wanted me to reinstall my OS). The machine went in for repair. They swapped the mother board. That failed (same memory slot problem) after about 9 months.

It seems that the slot problem occurs after about a year. Presumably variables like the amount of travel (hence bumping around) the machine sustains will the length of time it takes for the components to fail.

What I don't understand is if Sony knows about the problem (even if they won't admit it), why they don't fix the problem on the motherboards they refurbish and why they don't fix their manufacturing process to eliminate the problem in future machines.
David

naushad ahmed Apr 13, 2007, 05:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I've got a problem with my Sony PCG-V505DX. A little while ago it started crashing with blue screen of death.I mananged to figure out the problem was down to it over heating. Then a few days ago it just stopped running. It won't even switch on. It seems the power cable is working because that little green light is on, however there is no indication that the laptop is receiving any power, namely the LED that flashes when your on mains. So I'm either assuming that there is a lose connection on the power point on the laptop or that the motherboard has gone.

Is there any way I can test my theories or any ideas how to fix the problem. I have read a few posts about pressurised air used to clear out the dust and crap. Is that an option?

Thanks

Nush

Joe K Apr 13, 2007, 11:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Nush,

You can try unplugging the CMOS battery and re-plugging it in. See if this allows the system to power back on.

The CMOS battery is located under the keyboard.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
SparkyBruce Apr 18, 2007, 07:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just a quick email to let you know that i am now back offering a UK vaio memory socket resoldering service.

After nearly a year off my son is now 6 months old and I'm starting to have some spare time.

So if your in the UK with a vaio with faulty memory sockets then get in touch and I will see if I can help.

Thanks

Bruce

http://www.sparkybruce.com
and now
http://www.vaiorepair.co.uk

Chartered Electronics Engineer
Designer I/P Set top boxes (Amino)
UK repair of Vaio memory sockets

http://www.sparkybruce.com
http://www.vaiorepair.co.uk
jacobson sonny Apr 26, 2007, 11:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi ,
does anybody here know how to disassemble a Sony Viao Dc model. The fan is soo loud, i think it is defective. There is no way , i will deal with Sony customer support again.

I need to dissamble and get a new fan.( i don't even kno wwhat kind of fan)

Help please

Jacobson00@yahoo.com

jacobson sonny Apr 26, 2007, 11:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 26, 2007, 11:40am EDT

it is a Sony VAIO V505DC. i can't find nowhere on how to disassemble, also what can i buy to clean the fan and cpu?

has anybody ever tried "the Portable Laptop Notebook Cooler Cooling Pad". do they work?

David Kessler Apr 26, 2007, 09:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I run a cooling pad with 2 fans in it and it makes a big difference. With the cooling pad, my PCG-GRX560 runs at about 90 degrees. Without the cooling pad, it runs at over 120 degrees.
David

Nathan Bryan Apr 27, 2007, 01:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Nathan Bryan Apr 27, 2007, 01:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Whoops, sorry for the blank post.

Joe K, I have a question for you, or anyone that has some insight.

I have a PCG GRX 570 Vaio. The DC jack was broke and I had replaced it. After it was properly booting, except every so often the video wouldn't output. Later the the power circuit broke...? It wouldn't turn on at all. So I had sent it to my dads work, to one of his friends who is an expert in electronics. He fixed the circuit, the board is recieving power, except nothing turns on, not even the fans. Only the LEDs turn on. He asked if I messed with some pins or something, I don't remember what they were called, but I didn't. CPU is toast?

Any Ideas as to what is wrong? I really need this fixed, as it will serve as my computer for school next year.

philtec Apr 27, 2007, 02:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does it have a memory board in both slots?
If it does try removing one or the other to see if it boots from one.
If it works with only one installed, you have the memory socket problem that exists with the GRX .
This forum addresses this issue in detail and you are one of many with this problem.

Tim Vance Apr 27, 2007, 02:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have two of these machines. One still ok unless I type to hard..then it shuts off. The other has one of the memory chips pulled out & works fine. Every once in a while upon booting just sits blank after pushing the power, 3 lights solid lit. Nice... I then give it a two finger slap - just to the left of the mouse touch pad, then it starts booting normally. Just a matter of time before it becomes a door stop I'm certain of.

:/

Nathan Bryan Apr 27, 2007, 02:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't think the memory is the problem. I have tried both slots, the fans should atleast turn on even if the memory isnt in.

Nathan Bryan Apr 27, 2007, 03:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Again, sorry for the double post, but I have a critical question, this will probably solve it. If the CPU is burnt out, the whole entire system wouldn't boot right? Not even the fans would turn on? Because the CPU has a black blob on it. It extends around the heatsink square in the middle. I would show you a picture, but my camera has no batteries, and I don't have the adapter. But here is a picture to try to but it into perspective.

http://i2.neoseeker.com/a/OCguide/burnt1.jpg

It doesn't have the "spikes" firing out of the blob though. Also, it is a solid black, it shows no colour fade like a burn does though.

Tom Pappas Apr 27, 2007, 10:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Tom Pappas Apr 27, 2007, 10:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 27, 2007, 10:50pm EDT

The CPU is toast.

Did you turn on the power with the heatsink removed?

If not, someone else did.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.