Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1168 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:46pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Robin Stevenson Apr 30, 2007, 03:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hi there

I have a Sony GRT 915M notebook, could,nt getting the bl**dy thing to boot up Done exactly as you suggested and took out second chip of 256 memory from slot 2 and hey Presto!.....spot on information :D..done the very job thankyou very much:)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
SparkyBruce May 01, 2007, 09:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Robin , If you want the slot repairing in the UK drop me a mail.

Thanks

Bruce

Chartered Electronics Engineer
Designer I/P Set top boxes (Amino)
UK repair of Vaio memory sockets

http://www.sparkybruce.com
http://www.vaiorepair.co.uk
Haider Rashid May 02, 2007, 04:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everybody,
my friend and I wanted to upgrade her computer's memory, so she bought a 1gb kingston ram for her vgn-s5m/s (pcg-sh2m).
We got the memory this morning and put it in (the computer was off) and then tried to start the computer up, but it wouldn't. The light turns on (not the HD one, though) the cd player starts up and then there are a few feeble beeps. The screen is completely black and after the initial sounds it sits silent.
We are a bit puzzled, afraid that it might have been a short circuit perhaps. I'm not really good with hardware issues so have no idea what's going on. The other problem is that there seems to be only one slot in this model - or at least only one is easily accessible by just removing one screw - so I don't know how to try the memory swap trick.
We're in London, so if there's anybody - around here or anywhere really - that could help it would be highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this,
Haider

Bitmap May 02, 2007, 04:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I suggest you remove your newly bought RAM, and replace the old RAM back in the computer. If it works fine after you've put the old RAM back in, I'm inclined to believe that it's juat a bad stick of RAM.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Haider Rashid May 02, 2007, 05:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey,
thanks for the reply.
The one slot we can open didn't actually have a stick; it was empty, which is what actually confuses me, because we can't use the suggestion that was put through in the previous posts.
We tried to boot the computer after removing the stick we added but nothing happens.
Are there any other suggestions?
Thanks a lot

Joe K May 03, 2007, 09:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Haider,

Something went wrong somewhere. There are actaully two RAM slots in that laptop. One is under the keyboard and the second slot is on the bottom of the laptop (The one you worked with)

There is no need to access the RAM slot under the keyboard so leave that as it is. Your model does not suffer from a RAM slot problem so you can rule that out.

I suggest that you look for a pin hole in the bottom casing of the laptop and insert a paperclip to "reset" the system. Leave the NEW RAM out and try to boot the laptop. You're trying to get back to step one with a working laptop.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Gil O May 04, 2007, 06:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tom Pappas said:
The CPU is toast.

Did you turn on the power with the heatsink removed?

If not, someone else did.

I think the poster meant for the regular black blob around the dye , which is normal .

Haider Rashid May 04, 2007, 09:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
we actually did remove the one under the keyboard before I could read this post. We tried the memory switch trick but it didn't work.
We brought it to a repair shop and they called us a few minutes ago saying that the motherboard is gone, because the memory wasn't compatible. He also said that we did the damage when we switched the two memory sticks.
It sounds quite incredible to me that such a thing would break the mother board and are quite puzzled because to fix it he asked for 500£ (1000$).
Any help? I'm desperate, don't know what to do. Again, any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks a lot to everybody
Haider

Joe K May 04, 2007, 02:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Haider,

That system takes DDR2 RAM. Buying incompatable RAM will not kill the motherboard.

The only way I see that it's possible is if you forced the RAM into the slot and bending the pins enough to make contact with each other shorting them out. That may damage the motherboard but you will know when you apply that much force.

Secondly, if while you had the RAM expansion bay open you touched the motherboard with the screwdriver or dropped something conductive (somekind of metal object) into the system while you were replacing the RAM.

Now, you really don't have much of a choice, you can either get it back from the repair shop and take it somewhere else for another opinion or replace the motherboard or replace the laptop.

I would have tried to dis-connect the CMOS battery if you could first before doing anything.

Joe Kabalan
Tom Pappas May 06, 2007, 12:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Rules for working on computers
1. Disconnect the AC adapter from the computer
2. Make sure you are grounded (a wrist strap is best)
3. Remove all main batteries
4. Unplug the CMOS battery
5. Use only wooden or plastic tools to pry parts
6. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

jacobson sonny May 16, 2007, 11:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 16, 2007, 11:10am EDT

Hi, I have a question.

My laptop had a blue screen of death about 2 days ago. I re-install windows and so far it is working fine. But, I know the problem is due to overheating. The fan is soooooooo loud, itís unbelievable. I brought I cooling pad to put underneath. The bottom doesnít feel as hot as it used to but the fan still makes terrible noise. Sometimes what I do, is put a regular big fan on top of the machine for it to blow in the laptop fan and you see the noise diminish.

My question is what to do. Do I get a new laptop fan (heatsink)? I am not sure the laptop fan is malfunctioning since it is functioning or is the noise a sign that it is time to replace it?

I am tired of this vaio 505d model, first it stopped booting, I had to remove a screw inside for it to work, now this.
Thanks,
Jacobson00@yahoo.com

Joe, bobby, Philip, tom, anyone, what to do? feel free to email me

Tom Pappas May 16, 2007, 12:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Overheating
A lot of problems go away after the machine is disassembled down to the point that you can get some compressed air into all the crevices and blow out the dirt.

See our page: http://www.vaioshutdown.com/overheat.html

Paulo Gomes May 18, 2007, 12:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 18, 2007, 12:13pm EDT

Summer starting soon in the Northern hemisphere, more overheating problems for our lovely Vaios... Expect increase in posts. Mine is already blowing and puffing like a hairdryer.

Thank you Tom...

Time to disassemble and pull the compressed air can out of the drawer.

jacobson sonny May 21, 2007, 11:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
any ideas what kind of vaccum i can use to clean it out

Dimitri a May 23, 2007, 01:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi I have a Sony Vaio VGN220p that wont boot up. When I press the power button the power light comes on and stays on. Nothing else happens. I have played with the memory modules but nothing changes. there is absolutley no sounds of a fan or HDD working. What could be the problem.

Ivan Peev May 24, 2007, 08:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Guys,

I just found one really good resource for Sony Vaio Notebooks Tear Down/disassemble:

http://home.comcast.net/~dan2804/nws/sonysupport.html

I hope your model is somewhere there.

Cheers,
Ivan

teddyz teddyz Jun 05, 2007, 10:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a PCG-GRV 680 and I am having the same problem. I was upgrading my memory in one of the slots. I ended up using only one of the slots.

The issue with the slot could be spring retention in the slot connector. I notice that if I reseat the memory and push down my computer will start and reach Windows. But then after a couple of minutes will freeze. One the connector is used to take out the memory it looses its retention. They may not have been made right. Just a guess but I have some experiance with plastic products manufacturing. The heat probly does not help either. Most of the time my computer does not reboot to Windows. But taking out the second memory has worked so far!

Raj Badhan Jun 09, 2007, 04:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Vaio FS-215Z
Hi guys.
This looks like the corect place to tag on my message for my issues with a vaio.
I have the FS-215Z with the port.rep. etc etc
Basically, after shutting it down normally today, when I returned to it to turn it on...nothing....it doesnt start.
I've tried without the battery, with the battery, and a combination of both.
The adaptor works as it powers up the port rep...but when I dock the laptop, still no power.
I don;t think this a memory issue as I upgraded both slots to 512mg each a year ago....
Not really sure what the issue is and its driving me mad as i've got a major presentation next week. If all else fails,I'm getting a 2.5" adaptor and will copy the HDD before send the laptop off for repair (under insurance).
Seems like I'm the only one who actually like his Vaio...LOL...!!!
Hope someone can help or give some adivce...many thanks

Richard Shackle Jun 09, 2007, 08:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello all,

Wow. This forum is a good resource for Vaios. Anyway, onto my problem...

I have a GRX-500 and I have been getting the abrupt shutdown problem. Basically I turn it on, it stays on for like 5-10 minutes, and then abruptly turns off. Tom's site says this is caused by overheating, so I took off the heat sink and applied a thermal pad, and also thermal paste when the pad didn't seem to be working. No improvement. I'm pretty sure the heat sink is working because it gets hot soon after the laptop turns on, but more cooling doesn't seem to help the problem.

I've taken it to 2 different places, where they found some bad memory (so they said) and replaced it. The second place said it was fine, then I took it home and the same problem was still there. I'm at my wit's end!! Does anyone have a suggestion?

P.S. Something that might be related: when this problem first started, the HD light would blink and the laptop would make an odd whirring/clicking sound right before it died. It doesn't do that anymore though. Please help!

Joe K Jun 11, 2007, 08:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Richard,

This is a result of failing power supply components on the motherboard. The strange noise you were hearing was the sound of the hard drive losing power and spinning down then back up again. The system should have been freezing up as the noise was being produced.

There is no do it yourself type repair for this problem. The laptop needs to come in for service. Please contact me for pricing and turn around time.

Thanks,

Joe Kabalan

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.