Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1196 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:41pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Richard Shackle Jun 11, 2007, 12:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Thanks Joe,

The laptop did freeze up when the clicking sound happened. I thought it was strange, but whenever I took it in for repair, the techs didn't even listen to my description of the problem. I will contact you shortly about repairs.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
M Riad Jun 12, 2007, 01:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe,
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-S260P that doesn't boot as well. Same symptoms with the power lights on and battery blinking as it charges. As you know this model takes the micro DIMM 172 pin memory. I checked all the pins under 20x magnification and I see no loose solder. The memory gets hot as well as the CPU. The power supply also gets very hot to the touch and I had to disconnect it from the laptop. Had I left it the power jack would have melted. Are these symptoms of memory or I have a short somewhere else? I appreciate your help.
Mike

Joe K Jun 12, 2007, 04:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Mike,

You more than likely are suffering from a video problem rather than a meomry slot issue. I've never seen an issue with a RAM slot on an S series.

There are no do it yourself type repairs for that problem. Please contact me for more details on repair charges and turn around time.

Thank you,

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
kyle felker Jun 12, 2007, 08:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all;

I have a PCG-V505DX that is about three years old. It is occaisionally refusing to boot: no vaio logo, no bios, the hard drive light flashes breifly then stops, leaving the power light on.

It also crashes at random intervals to a blue screen with an error message that says something similar to "dumping physical memory."

This sounds a LOT like the loose memory slot problem others have described happening in other vaio models. Do you think this is the problem? If it is, is it something one of you technical gurus could fix for a reasonable price?

Thanks for your help,

-Kyle

kyle felker Jun 12, 2007, 08:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all;

I have a PCG-V505DX that is about three years old. It is occaisionally refusing to boot: no vaio logo, no bios, the hard drive light flashes breifly then stops, leaving the power light on.

It also crashes at random intervals to a blue screen with an error message that says something similar to "dumping physical memory."

This sounds a LOT like the loose memory slot problem others have described happening in other vaio models. Do you think this is the problem? If it is, is it something one of you technical gurus could fix for a reasonable price?

Thanks for your help,

-Kyle

Joe K Jun 13, 2007, 09:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Kyle,

Never heard of a RAM slot problem with the V505 series. Unfortunately I haven't worked with that model enought to provide helpful info to you. I do know that motherboard is difficult to work with due to it's layout.

There have been a few power issues with that series but those usually result in a no power on condition.

Joe Kabalan
Sam Wood Jun 16, 2007, 05:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello:

Last night, my vaio VGN-S260 suddenly falled to the ground, and it won't boot then. I searched all over the Internet, found this thread most informative.

The symptom is: when I press the power button, only the power indicator and wireless indicator under the right wrist are on. However, the motherboard doesn't seem to be powered on, because it remains quite and the CPU fan remains off.

I unplugged the CPU and RAM and HDD, the symptom was still the same. The motherboard didn't beep to complain the missing of CPU or RAM (or is this the case even if the motherboard is working fine).

Since I have been using this vaio for about 3 years, and never got any booting problem before the sudden falling to the ground last night, I guess it does not have the memory slot problem.

I plugged the HDD of this VAIO to an enclosure, and found that the HDD was working just fine. Because the HDD didn't fail, I was hoping that the motherboard is also fine but it won't boot only because of some loosed connection.

All the parts of my vaio is now disseminated, and I am testing the motherboard alone (no CPU, no RAM, no HDD is plugged). What I did is: connect the FFC cable from Palm holder to the motherboard, connect the cable of AC power jack to the motherboad, and plug the power cable to the AC power jack.
If the motherboard is still good, what kind of board activity I can expect? Will it beep to complain the missing CPU and RAM?

Thanks for your help!

Sam

Faisal Bashir Jun 17, 2007, 11:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have this PCG-GRT260G. Till last night everything was working fine.. i was browsing net and suddenly the PC shut down. I turned on the power button again and saw the vaio logo. Then again it shut down. After that i tried many times to start but all LED's (power, battery 1 and battery2) blink and the fans run for a second or so then its is completely blank. Only the Battery LED blinks( battery 1 or 2 whichever slot has the battery). I cleaned the heatsink but no result.
ANYBODY GOT A SOLUTION... in my area there is no SONY service center.:(.. I am an engineer so i think i can follow instructions.

Regards
FAISAL

Brandon R Jun 20, 2007, 04:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, looks like I've been one of the luckier VAIO owners.

I have had my Vaio FX390 for five years, and I am now encountering my first serious issue. I've been trying to figure out why my laptop freezes/reboots.

Whenever I close or attempt to close the lid on my laptop, my laptop either freezes or instantly reboots. Even stranger, this glitch of sorts isn't all that consistent - sometimes it doesn't take shape until 5-10 minutes after startup and will close just fine...and other times I can actually freeze it while XP Professional boots up. It has also rebooted when I unplug my USB Mouse in one occasion.

I've tried everything I can think of to correct the glitch - I've recovered it several times to restore it to factory settings, but the problem still exists. I've also attempted running in Safe Mode, but it still freezes up when I move the screen. I also tried installing all applicable Sony updates, including a flashing of the BIOS. All have not been successful.

I've seen a couple of the devilish Blue Screens too. I've only seen them two or three times.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x00000A

Any ideas on what the message or my symptoms might be foretelling will be greatly appreciated.

Laptop Specifications:

* WinXP Professional SP2
* Sony Vaio PCG-FX390 Laptop Computer
* USB Mouse
* PIII 1GHZ Processor
* 256MB RAM (Upgraded to 512MB)
* Integrated Video Card

Gerry Fergiouson Jun 23, 2007, 12:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everybody,
I have another sad story to contribute. First of all let me say something we have all experienced so far: SONY reps are not helpful. They seem to be more "automated" than human. I will definetely pay more attention to what customers say regarding a company's service AFTER you have bought their product.
Ayyway, I have a nice 1700$ VGNFS690P that is not working after 20 months. The problem according to a tech that had a look is "bad Motherboard". COst to repleace:800$... I am out of warranty so...
Anyway, my symptoms are more or less similar to what I am reading on this thread. However, I understand that same symptoms can be acused form very disimilar causes. Nevertheless, here it goes: Press the turn on, light go on, i see the SONY logo, i see the windows logo, and then... i see an error message for 1/14 of a sacond and ...boom! SHuts down. Sometimes when i turn it on, i just see a black screen.
To any of the tech guys that are reading this: Could this be fixed without changing the motherboard? I now that diagnosing telepatheticaly whats wrong with my laptop aint gonna happen but again i want some hope...
Thank you for your time,
G

Joe K Jun 25, 2007, 10:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Gerry,

The FS series suffer from a different problem that these GRX / GRV laptops suffer from. Your problem is related to a loss of contact and torn pad damage on the motheboard. There are no do it yourself type repairs for this condition. You can see more info here:

http://www.aqstech.com/vaio9.html

The following models can be affected by this issue:

VGN-FS520, VGN-FS530, VGN-FS540, VGN-FS550, VGN-FS570
VGN-FS610, VGN-FS615, VGN-FS620, VGN-FS625, VGN-FS635, VGN-FS640, VGN-FS645, VGN-FS650, VGN-FS655, VGN-FS660, VGN-FS670, VGN-FS675, VGN-FS680
VGN-FS710, VGN-FS715, VGN-FS715, VGN-FS720, VGN-FS730, VGN-FS740, VGN-FS742, VGN-FS745, VGN-FS750, VGN-FS755, VGN-FS760, VGN-FS770, VGN-FS780

Regardless, this issue is usually repairable without replacing the motherboard.

Joe Kabalan
Joe K Jun 25, 2007, 11:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Brandon,

This is obviously a loss of contact somewhere. In cases like this you may need to completely disassemble the laptop and reassemble it verifying everything is making good contact. I would suggest that during the re-assembly stages only assemble the vitals (such as RAM, CPU, CPU heat sink etc) and do a test run to see if the problem still exists.. (With the FX series you must connect the touchpad / cable in order to avoid a blue screen during the windows loading stages.)

Leave the RAM slot closest to the rear of the system empty and only fill the slot closest to the front of the laptop. You can do this RAM test before you completely disassemble / reassemble the laptop.

Joe Kabalan
Joe K Jun 25, 2007, 11:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Sam,

The shock of the drop may have been enough to promote the dreaded S series video problem. I've seen this before. You need to be extra careful with the RAM in that model as it can become contaminated with dust or debris very easily by the simple act of removing and re-inserting the ram.

Clean the RAM contacts with alcohol and air dry with canned or compressed air. Then blow the RAM slots on the motherboard clean as well. With the cleaned RAM / slots you're ready to start probing for the problem.

What you can do to verify this is or is not the dreaded S series video problem is to apply slight and gentle pressure to the south / west corner of the video chip while turning the power on. If it starts to boot, power the laptop off and either contact me for repair or do a search for Sony Motherboard Repair facility that is capable of performing detailed BGA pad damage and rework repair.

Don't apply any more pressure to the video chip to get the system to boot, you will only be causing more damage to the motherboard and greatly reducing your chance for successful repair.

Joe Kabalan
Ben Dupre Jun 25, 2007, 08:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've had my PCG-K25 Sony Vaio laptop for approx. 3 years. I bought an extended service plan, and recently found out (to my dismay) that the plan I bought actually applied retroactively and essentially just voided out my mfg warranty instead of being applied concurrently.

My problem: when i try to turn it on, it won't boot. It gets stuck on the 'windows loading' screen and will just sit there.

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ben Dupre
408.646.4971 or bendupre@gmail.com

Ben Dupre Jun 25, 2007, 08:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Burt,

I am a new victim of the viao's failure to boot. I was wondering if you had any good tips/suggestions for me.

Basically, my computer won't boot - it won't get past the windows logo. A week or so ago, it was taking about 30 minutes and then finally it would load windows. Now, it just sits like it is frozen or something.

Thank you for any help.

Ben Dupre
408.646.4971 or bendupre@gmail.com

Tom Pappas Jun 25, 2007, 09:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ben, the first thing I do when I get a Vaio that won't boot past Windows is to boot from a Linux disk and run MEMTEST. If it gets through that for a few hours, then I proceed to look for a software issue.

Ben Dupre Jun 25, 2007, 09:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
oh boy. first, thanks for the reply. that sounds kind of complicated. is it possible you could walk me through those steps?

Thanks.

oh boy. first, thanks for the reply. that sounds kind of complicated. is it possible you could walk me through those steps?

Thanks.

Thanks.

palani kumar Jun 27, 2007, 06:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi , I have my PCG FX 190 model and it was working fine earlier, suddenly its started reboots after about 20 to 25 minutes, after sony screen its rebooting again. I tried to remove the RAM from Slot No.2 which is located near by rear end as RAM capacity shows only 128 KB (even though I have 128 in each slot - total 256), But It doesn't work after 20 minutes, started reboots again.

Seems my problem is different from the issue which is in this thread, I mean its booting but reboots. After 3 or 4 reboots in the Sony screen, the screen goes to Blank and then I had to shut down by using the Power button.

Any clue regarding this issue, and appreciate your help on this.

Thanks
Palani.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.