Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1132 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:02am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Michelle Yip Jul 20, 2007, 08:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
the system does not boot after upgrading the BIOS tool, it is a VGN-FS515E. After pressing the power button, the green lights on but the screen stays blank! Is there anyway to fix it without calling SONY (warranty expired)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
philtec Jul 24, 2007, 06:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony PCG-GRT390Z
Is there a memory board problem or any other faults with the Sony PCG-GRT390Z ??

Mandy Cupeto Jul 24, 2007, 08:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe,

I have a PCG-GRX-500P. Are you still fixing the memory slot problem? How long does it take? What is the cost?

Thanks, Mandy

Joe K Jul 25, 2007, 09:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Mandy,

Yes, I'm still repairing these GRX's quite often actually. Please emal me directly at: joe@aqstech.com

Thank you,

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Joe K Jul 25, 2007, 09:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Philtec,

There are known screen issues with the GRT 100 series but they don't apply to the 300 series that you have. There have been some resports of one RAM slot going bad on the GRT series but I haven't been able to get a hold of one to determine what is atcually failing. I do know that it's highly unlikely that the actual RAM slot is to blame in these cases.

Michelle,

You're not in a good situation. The motherboard needs to be repaired (if possible) or it needs to be replaced.

Joe Kabalan
Calum Gordon Jul 29, 2007, 07:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've had serious problems with my Vaio BX197XP. I purchased it in Feb 2006, and less than a week after that the notebook completely died on me in whilst I was working on something. I had it sent away and they replaced the 'motherboard', and something else (my friend has my repair notes - and I'll give you all the specifics when I get them back - all THREE of them). Thankfully nothing was lost. In June of this year, once again, the same thing happened. The 'motherboard' was replaced, and it was sent back to me. Again I hadn't lost anything on it. Then, can you believe this, less than a month later, it happens again - though this time the notebook shows little signs of life, but it won't start up. So, even with it no longer being covered by warranty, Sony have it repaired again, yet this time the engineer hasn't even bothered to tell me what it is he's done to it, and on top of that, I've lost EVERYTHING on it! They didn't reply to the letter I sent. If I were you, I'd sell your BX197XP, and I wouldn't replace it with any Vaio. That laptop cost me £1700.00! A complete waste of money. Think I'll buy a Mac. Calum G.

Dylan Kolstad Aug 10, 2007, 05:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I searched some and could not find what I was looking for, so am adding to this thread:

Don't know if this is a hardware or software problem, but I'm having trouble loading windows in a PCG-F430 sony vaio using windows 98 se. The laptop hangs on the "SONY" message on the screen every time and won't finish booting windows. I cannot enter BIOS either, if I try it hangs on the "Entering SETUP..." message. The laptop is set to boot from the hard drive first, so I don't know if I can use a boot disk to attempt to load windows...

Any thing I can do? The last time this problem happened, I unplugged it and tried turning on again and there was no problem for some reason, but this time no amount of restarting has helped. I'd be happy to buy a new laptop but want to preserve the data on this one...should I give up and try to find a device to access the data on the hard drive via my desktop computer?

Thanks! Dylan

Steve S Aug 10, 2007, 05:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? Hard drive data recovery
Dylan,

One method I have used to get data off of a notebook hard drive is to get a 2.5" hard drive enclosure (they also come in 3.5" for larger HDs). You just remove the hard drive from your machine, slip it into the enclosure and plug the enclosures USB cable into your desktop system which will recognize at as an external drive, with all your data intact.

The enclosures cost about $20 for the 2.5" and about $25 for the 3.5". This makes for a nice way to recycle older/smaller IDE hard drives and turn them into external drives.

Some drives require more power than is available from one USB so most of the enclosures I've seen have a primary USB and a secondary USB. The primary handles data and power the secondary handles power only (and is typically red in color)

SS

Matt MAtt Aug 12, 2007, 05:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I actually went to the chat support option for this problem. Here's my conversation with one of the guys. It took at least 2 minutes for him to reply each time. :(

user Matt has entered room

analyst Kristopher_ has entered room

Matt> Hello

Kristopher_> Hi Matt. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Kristopher. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

Matt> Is this a common problem with this series?

Kristopher_> Thanks for waiting, Matt. I'm sorry that the Notebook is not working as expected. Iíll be happy to assist you with this.

Matt> Okay.

Kristopher_> We are not aware of this being an issue with this Notebook series.

Kristopher_> What has changed since it last worked successfully?

Matt> Well, when I try to boot up it simply won't start.

Matt> It powers up but it won't even go to the Vaio start-up screen.

Kristopher_> I would like to forward a link to a page where you can view the procedure to troubleshoot the startup issue.

Kristopher_> When you receive the link please click on it to open the page and let me know if you are able to view it.

Matt> Sure.

Kristopher_> http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/autoresponsev4.asp?id=172047

Matt> I can see the page but the computer refuses to even let me choose safemode.

Matt> Nothing shows up on the screen

Kristopher_> Please try resetting the BIOS and check if the issue persists.

Matt> How can I do that if nothing shows up on my screen?

Kristopher_> Matt, I understand that you are not able to view the Sony VAIO startup screen?

Matt> Correct.

Kristopher_> Do you hear any beep sound?

Matt> I'm going to try. Give one second please.

Kristopher_> Sure, please go ahead.

Matt> No beeping.

Matt> All I hear is the fan.

Kristopher_> I would like to forward a link to a page where you can view important information about this Notebook series.

Kristopher_> When you receive the link please click on it to open the page and let me know if you are able to view it.

Kristopher_> http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=VGNS260&news_id=109

Matt> I can see it.

Matt> My computer is the VGN-S260 model. It can be found on the list in the link you sent me.

Kristopher_> Please review the information to see if there are any questions, or if you can proceed on your own.

Matt> Alright. Thank you. I think I'll call the number.

Matt> Bye.

Joe K Aug 13, 2007, 08:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Matt,

The problem that you're suffering from is not related to the GRX memory slot issue that is discussed in this thread. Your problem is more severe and more complicated. It is still repairable and a motherboard replacement is usually not necessary.

Joe Kabalan
Alan Briggs Sep 05, 2007, 12:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem as Matt MAtt (a few posts ago). My PCG-7A1M powers up but there is nothing on the display, or on an external monitor if I plug it in. It does not beep. My feeling is that this must indicate the graphics chip on the motherboard has failed but I would presume this cannot be repaired without replacing the motherboard. If it might be repaired more easily (or at less expense) I would be interested to know.

N F Sep 05, 2007, 10:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello all,

I've got Sony Vaio VGN-S5HP

Some days ago I tried to upgrade my RAM. It has 2 slots. One under the keyboard and one under the whole computer. There was already 1x 512 under keyboard. So I bought "m12864E40" from Kingston. It was confirmed to be totally working with my model. Okay. The first memory slot went okay under the computer and when I booted, I checked the RAM and I had 1.5 gb of ram working.

The problem starts when I gently removed the keyboard to change the other memory slot. I took the old 512 out and placed 1gb ram there. put everything back as just like it were before I did anything. Tried to boot. Nothing on the screen, just black. Tried to connect an extra monitor to see whether it would work. It didn't.

I could see the led's flashing. The green one when I plugged the computer on (power) and the red one when it was running on battery (the battery led). But for instance processor's fan won't spin anymore? I could also hear the computer droning. But I didn't hear any beep's.

I couldn't keep the computer open long as the processor was warming too much and without a fan it's soon broke. I did reset BIOS but nothing happened.

I also tried changing the situation back where it were before I installed those 2x 1gb ram's. so I took both of those off my vaio and installed that 512 back under the keyboard and put everything back as it were before. But the computer wouldn't start anymore.

Could there have been an electrostatic discharge? That might be possible.

Real problem here: my laptop is only worth ~700-800 euros (used) and nowadays people sell that laptop for that price. Official VAIO repair said to me it will cost 850 euros for SURE?! to fix that. I really don't get it.

So VAIO's official repair service is out of question. Do you know some people who would do this for MUCH cheaper? Or some little companies etc?

I really hope you can help me. I try to follow this forum but you can also e-mail me to j u o t a v a a @ g m a i l . c o m (remove the spaces if you mail me).

Thanks in advance!

Joe K Sep 07, 2007, 09:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Alan,

Matt's problem is related to the video chip that cannot be repaired at home or by any end user.

Your VGN-FS laptop suffers from a different problem. If you've experienced freezing, hanging at the "Sony" logo, or an intermittent problems that progressively have gotten worse over time, your issue is related to another key controller chip issue that is on the motherboard and needs to be repaired professionally.

If your problem started all at once and suddenly, you may be suffering from yet a different issue.

Joe Kabalan
Joe K Sep 07, 2007, 09:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello NF,

Something went wrong somewhere.

I don't have any info to help you troubleshoot it. If you returned the original RAM configuration and it still does not boot, there is nothing more that you can do aside from sending it in to a shop for diagnoisis.

Have you checked to make sure the RAM contacts are clean? Also check the RAM sockets are clean of any debris that may have attached to them during the swap?

Did you unplug any connectors when you removed the keyboard to access the RAM slot under it?

Joe Kabalan
N F Sep 07, 2007, 04:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I did unplug some connectors but I have plugged those back for sure. I live in Finland. It may not be the best idea to send this packet to USA. Some helpers here seem to be from UK for instance. Sending my VAIO to UK costs like 9 eur but it will be a MUCH more to USA.

How much have you for instance charged if there is a problem that can be solved without changing any parts? (mainboard costs a lot so I know the bill will be a lot bigger if motherboard has been damaged and has to be replaced with a new one)

Somehow I feel relieved since so many have posted about this similar problem and how they have managed to solve that one way or another. At first I thought I totally destroyed my VAIO and that's end of it's story. Hope I can get it fixed for an affordable cost.

lisa wood Sep 09, 2007, 09:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont power up
I have a vgn-t140 the last couple months it has been freezing when the laptop is moved. Now it has progressed to not coming on at all. No lights or anything! I took it apart and there is only internal RAM and one slot for external but not attached. I don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

Alan Briggs Sep 11, 2007, 03:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe, thanks for your reply.

My problem is constant and I don't get anything at all on the display, not even the Sony logo. There was a sudden error message one day and the computer has not started since. My feeling is that this computer, being now about 4 years old, is beyond economic repair. Do you agree?

Alan

Joe K said:
Hi Alan,

Matt's problem is related to the video chip that cannot be repaired at home or by any end user.

Your VGN-FS laptop suffers from a different problem. If you've experienced freezing, hanging at the "Sony" logo, or an intermittent problems that progressively have gotten worse over time, your issue is related to another key controller chip issue that is on the motherboard and needs to be repaired professionally.

If your problem started all at once and suddenly, you may be suffering from yet a different issue.

Satya Annareddy Sep 11, 2007, 05:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have bought a new Sony VGN FE41Z laptop with Windows Vista.

Have used it for over 6 months (could not find warranty papers :~) without any problem (related to Hardware had lots of problems with Vista).
on 10th o Sep (yesterday night) i was in the middle of my work when it crashed saying writing into physical memory and went blank.
I tried to hard reboot it but just the lights (caps light, power light, num lock light etc) all glow.
but I cant see a thing on the screen.
I have left it like that for the night and have tried in the morning to my surprise it did start up asking for start up mode. I have started it in Safe mode with networking. and did some checks before I tried for Memory check after which it had to restart the laptop. but it couldnot.

not sure exactly what is the problem.
Is my laptop's problem same as the one mentioned here for memory slot #2 issues.

Please advice what can I try.

Satya Annareddy

Victor Hackney Sep 11, 2007, 08:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Satya, (With Vista)

You may already have tried this link , but if you have support disk/s take a look at this link
http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?s...en_GB_cons

As these posts relate to many various models, which have many un related links to the original post, the aforementioned link quoted here is on a 2007 Sony site may help.
Also it may be helpful to give FULL details privately to
Joe Kabalan
AQSTech.com
joe@aqstech.com
716-832-2473
Who has proved to be quite helpful in the past.

Nb. In some cases (depending on the query) many of the problems can be related to overheating due to the air inlet vent being partially or severely blocked , due to using the Laptop on soft furnishings, or on a BED thus causing lack of ventilation, eventually the cpu overheats and in some cases the computer cuts out completely. Prolonged usage can eventually damage chip/s on the board.
Kind Regards
Best Wishes
Take Care
Vic UK & Germany.

All forces are equal and opposite
Satya Annareddy Sep 11, 2007, 09:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Victor for the reply...

I have just found the warranty and Sony service are taking the laptop for repair...
But I would like to what exactly happened to my Laptop...

As you said it looks like heating I do use my laptop on a glass table (hate using laptops on lap due to the heat they generate) so might have obstructed its air flow...(initially I was also afraid of this but got convinced myself that wont cause any problems as I have seen few of my friends doing the same) from now on will take care of this.
but yesterday I havent used it for long... I have opened a web page and left it reading...

hope Sony fixes my laptop so that it wont trouble me any further...

Cheers
Satya Annareddy

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.