Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1134 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:45pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Vasant Dandekar Sep 14, 2007, 06:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
How would I know what the fuse look like and where to look for it. Can I get a pictorial view of the motherboard to find where is the fuse. I tried to remove the CPU from my Sony while I forgot to remove the battery from my laptop. I saw the sparks under the CPU leads so look like I shorted something while i was taking the CPU. Do you where to get a tool to remove the CPU?

Thanks for the help;

Vasant

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Vasant Dandekar Sep 14, 2007, 06:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
How would I know what the fuse look like and where to look for it. Can I get a pictorial view of the motherboard to find where is the fuse. I tried to remove the CPU from my Sony while the battery still in place, (I forgot to remove the battery) from my laptop. I saw the sparks under the CPU leads so look like I shorted something while I was taking out the CPU. My laptop is now dead. I think I blew the fuse. Do you know where to get a tool to remove the CPU?

Thanks for the help;

Vasant

Al-CID Sep 14, 2007, 07:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi guys..
Ive gathered Info from around me(NOTEBOOK shop, electronic shop, web, friend reference, and etc..)
I offer no solution but I want to warn those people who want to buy a sony VAIO
i heard that there are a lot of broblem with sony VAIO
some newer version of sony vaio got some lcd problem
older ones got the problems like the first thread
and I found out that sony vaio is no longer manufactured in JAPAN but in CHINA...
and so Ive heard that the quality of the products that is manufactured in CHINA is worst than that in JAPAN...
Even though i dont see the reason why......
2 of my friends (A&B) got the LCD of their VAIO wont lit, they sent it to the sony center and got it fixed....
for a few weeks at least.............
4 weeks later......
A: WHAT THE FxCK!!!! what the hell is wrong with this useless FUCxIO(VAIO)!!?????
B: HAHA!! i got mine fixed!!!
1 week later:
B: @#%%#@#$@$$$$$!!!!!!!!! (huh...its broken again...)

Regards,

AL CID (read: EL-SID)
Not-A-Moderator - Hardware Analysis
Email - hyde9@rocketmail.com
PCG K25 Sep 16, 2007, 10:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the exact same issue as Alan and Matt. The computer suddenly gave me the BSOD one day, and when I tried to restart, nothing showed but a black screen. When i try to power it up, the battery and charger LEDs light up, the fan spins, and if i put a disc in the DVD drive it will spin, but there are no other signs of life. I dont get any audio or the vaio startup screen. Anybody know the specific part that may have failed to cause this?

Alan Briggs said:
Hi Joe, thanks for your reply.

My problem is constant and I don't get anything at all on the display, not even the Sony logo. There was a sudden error message one day and the computer has not started since. My feeling is that this computer, being now about 4 years old, is beyond economic repair. Do you agree?

Alan

Joe K said:
Hi Alan,

Matt's problem is related to the video chip that cannot be repaired at home or by any end user.

Your VGN-FS laptop suffers from a different problem. If you've experienced freezing, hanging at the "Sony" logo, or an intermittent problems that progressively have gotten worse over time, your issue is related to another key controller chip issue that is on the motherboard and needs to be repaired professionally.

If your problem started all at once and suddenly, you may be suffering from yet a different issue.

alessandro la ragione Sep 17, 2007, 10:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi!

I have Sony Vaio vgn-s1hp (s260 us version). I have update bios and computer turn off when i turn on nothing happen. I know that Hp and Acer Have Crisis Disk but i don t know what is sequence for Crisis Disk for vaio laptop..... Somebody can help me???

Please write me

Joe K Sep 17, 2007, 02:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
NF,

If you still have not resolved this problem, you may want to find a repair facility in the UK to have a look at it.

Lisa,
This is a known problem with the VGN-T series. There is nothing that can be done locally. We can repair this condition as we've developed a repair for this problem. Please see: http://www.aqstech.com/vaio8.html

Alan,

This may be a result of a failed processor. Of course it could be something else but a CPU would be my first guess.

Satya,

No VGN-xxx model has ever suffered from a RAM slot issue that I'm aware of. You more than likely have a different problem. I cannot give you much more info on the FE series because I'm not aware of any wide-spread issues with that series.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
N F Sep 17, 2007, 05:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Joe,

Where I could find this "repair facility" in UK? I live in Finland. Do you have any e-mail addresses to suggest where I could send mail? I really would like to get my laptop fixed :) thank you

alessandro la ragione Sep 18, 2007, 03:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi!

I have Sony Vaio vgn-s1hp (s260 us version). I have update bios and computer turn off when i turn on nothing happen. I know that Hp and Acer Have Crisis Disk but i don t know what is sequence for Crisis Disk for vaio laptop..... Somebody can help me???

Please....

Natasha

alessandro la ragione Sep 19, 2007, 09:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe!Can you help me?

Please....

Natasha

Joe K Sep 25, 2007, 08:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Natasha,

I believe that you conatcted me regarding a video boot problem first (before this BIOS issue) if this is correct, then you now have two different issues.

There is no recovery CD process for that model. Can you tell if the system tries to boot from a CD when you power on? (Insert a bootable CD and listen if it reads the disk)

Joe Kabalan
alessandro la ragione Sep 25, 2007, 08:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes it seem that boot on cd....so what are next steps???

Jim Gall Sep 25, 2007, 12:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just got off the phone with Sony. As it seems, the VGN-S150 is plagued by a known issue with memory and the motherboard, but seeing as a laptop that I'm working on (I'm a computer tech, mind you) is out of warranty, there's no way for Sony to replace the motherboard without charging the customer $279 + cost of parts + shipping & handling (from NJ to San Diego, CA). The price quoted for the motherboard, not including shipping or the base $279 charge was $699!

According to the support rep, he said that there is a known issue with certain Sony laptops, and memory installations causing the system to no longer boot up. Honestly, this is one of the most screwed up exchanges with a computer company I've dealt with yet.

Joe K Sep 26, 2007, 11:02am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Jim,

There is no known issue with the RAM / or the RAM sockets on the VGN-S series laptops. The problem lies within the video sub-circuit on the motherboard.

Anyone that tries to apply pressure on the RAM slots or RAM chips of an S series will only cause more damage to the motehrboard.

The GRX / GRV / GRZ RAM slot problem discussed throughout this thread is a completely different problem.

Just wanted to make that clear to anyone who reads this.

Joe Kabalan
alessandro la ragione Sep 27, 2007, 04:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Nobody help me?

How can recover bios? any sony crisis disk? Please help me...

Natasha

alessandro la ragione Sep 29, 2007, 09:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Nobody answer me????

Natasha

philtec Sep 30, 2007, 10:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Use the system recovery disk.

anjeet pradhan Oct 03, 2007, 10:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Sony Vaio VGN FS11 5E stop abruptly while I was surfing the net last week. I tried to turn again but it does not boot.There is no signal or light anything.It is totally dead and happen this for very first time. It was 2 years old.

Do anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Michele Murdock Oct 04, 2007, 09:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Vaio Repair - THANKS TO JOE
Just another public THANK YOU to Joe Kabalan and AQS for his service on this board, and for promptly and thoroughly diagnosing and repairing my PC, displaying the utmost courtesy and professionalism during the transaction, and for speedily shipping it back to me in perfect shape. It cost me more to take the pc to the local bigbox store to have the harddrive removed so I could back up the data and get an [incorrect] diagnosis than it did to pack up and ship the PC to Joe for a complete repair. I would have spent 3 times as much if I had let them proceed with the incorrect "repair" they wanted to perform. Just save yourself time, money and a headache and skip the local guys. Send your Sony to Joe the Pro.

[P.S. my Vaio had the power circuitry/wouldn't power up problem and F_ _'s said it needed a motherboard. Not.]

Michele

Hamid Saeedi Oct 05, 2007, 11:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 05, 2007, 11:30pm EDT

Hamid Saeedi Oct 05, 2007, 11:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe

I am a new victim of the vio's failure to boot, from Canada. It is a VGN-C240E, only 4 months old. The only unusual stuff I did was to leave it for few days on stanby mode (I went away and forgot to shut it down).

When I power on the notebook, I see a black screen,no sound but the fan is working. Similar symptoms to others. I took out the RAMs and replaced them again, it beeped and the screen became grey nothing more, but it only happened once.
I took out the RAM's again and repalced thembut this time faced nothing but a black screen and a running fan of course. This seems strange to me.

The warrantee has not expired fortunately, but I have to ship it and wait a few weeks. I was wondering if you have any good tips/suggestions for me.

Thanks

Hamid

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.