Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 777 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:35am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Duane Brummett Oct 08, 2007, 09:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? Self-repair is tricky, but possible
My Sony PCG-GRX500K would not boot except when I removed one of the two memory modules through the door on the bottom of the case. From this forum, I learned that the problem was bad solder joints for that memory module socket. I removed the battery and unplugged the power cable. I used a temperature-controlled soldering tool and I filed the tip down to a sharp point. I dialed the temperature up to 600 degrees, wiped all the old solder off the tip, and touched each connector for a fraction of a second. Then I returned the memory module and battery. Still dead. I removed the module and battery. I dialed up to 700 degrees, tinned and wiped the tip, and touched each connector for a bit longer fraction of a second. Replaced module. Still dead. Removed module. Dialed up to 750 degrees, and again touched each of those joints between the connector wires and the circuit board. I moved from one to the next pretty fast. I would say that it took about 10 seconds total per side. That did it. It has worked perfect ever since. I got a little solder bridge at the start because I left some solder on the tip instead of just tinning it and wiping it "dry", plus I was sliding the tip across the connectors instead of just touching each one in turn. I found that solder bridge with a magnifying glass and a bright flashlight that I used after each attempt, before I powered it up. I chiped out the solder bridge with a sewing needle. I had the same problem with my pinball machine's pcb and the same process worked for it too.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
N F Oct 08, 2007, 10:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 08, 2007, 10:14pm EDT

>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hello,

I live in Europe and I have described my VAIO problem on earlier pages ( doesn't boot after I tried to upgrade RAM and reversed back to the state it was before upgrading but still the same problem).

I tried to search posts but is there anyone in England for example (or somewhere in Europe) who could fix this laptop of mine? Rather someone with some experience :) You can PM me or leave a reply here. Or if you know someone who fixed your laptop.. please suggest him now :) Thank you in advance!

( I know Joe would fix it instantly but it costs almost 100 euros to send my laptop to USA and the same again when I someone sends it back to me :( so I need to find something alternative)

Joe K Oct 09, 2007, 08:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Hamid,

Your model is too new for me to have any info about it. I would suggest that you contact Sony for a possible warranty repair.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
mige0 Oct 13, 2007, 03:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

mige0 Oct 13, 2007, 04:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 13, 2007, 04:22pm EDT

Hi

just brought back to life my GRX416 suffering from the ram slot problem .

If anyone is interested - I offer this service to anyone around Austria that hasn't the nerves, skill, equipment or time to DIY - just drop me a PM.

In this thread the How TO it is outlined many times so I am not setting up another web page as I did for the CAP dying problem of the older VAIOS several years ago.

http://www.kinotechnik.edis.at/pages/vaio_rep/sony_vaio_rep_en.html
also linked under
http://repair4laptop.org/disassembly_sony.html

Thanks to anyone here for sharing his experiences !

Greetings
Michael

Andrew Hang Oct 17, 2007, 12:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I am the owner of a Sony Vaio VGN-A130B, experiencing the same problem as everyone else here (the computer will power on, but no video, then shuts off, then powers on again with no video). I have tried to test if the RAM slots are the problem, but that does not seem to be it. Additionally, the hard drive and cd drive are not the problem, as the computer still has the problem even after removing both. What exactly is the cause of this error? Thanks in advance.

-Andrew

takis Chavranlis Oct 20, 2007, 01:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi and congratulations for the great forum.
I have a vaio and the oz998s chip is fried. Can anyone tell me where to buy a new chip?thanks in advance

Ryan Covert Oct 22, 2007, 01:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a PCG-FR130 (or PCG-9H4L, depending on the side of the laptop you refer to!). I unfortunately flashed the BIOS with two sticks of RAM installed, and have now, unknowingly, rendered the laptop unbootable. The power button does not respond to presses, etc. The BIOS flash failed the first time after a lot of beeping, at about 40% completion. I then re-attempted the flash after another reboot and it simply locked up and wouldn't respond to any keypresses (including the power button). I have tried everything to get the system to boot.. even followed a PDF explaining how to create a LPT "Key" to force the system to do a "Crisis" flash of BIOS, but the key doesn't seem to affect the system. Nothing will make it turn on. I'm hoping that someone will know what I can do with this system as I know that it must be the BIOS that needs repairing.

Perhaps the infamous "Joe" or someone else could point me in the right direction? Please feel free to post a reply here or e-mail me directly: bitbyter03 at hotmail dot com

Thanks for your time everyone. I was really happy to come across this forum!

Ryan.

Joe K Oct 24, 2007, 12:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

You may want to contact O2 Micro directly for the 0Z998S chip.

Joe Kabalan
Mary Furman Nov 05, 2007, 01:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My story:

Sony VAIO VGN-FS 830/W

Purchased 2-06,

For a few months it has been just dying in the middle of whatever, but would reboot when I pushed the power button.

About 2 weeks ago, I came home from not using it for several hours and it did seem very warm, but worked fine. A couple hours later it died and wouldn't reboot. After removing the battery, unplugging the power cord, pushing as many buttons as I could, it came back to life when I pushed either the S1 or S2 button.

Two days later though, it died permanently. After waiting a week for a Sony tech to show up, (the level 2 tech told me it was probably a motherboard problem), he arrived with a new keyboard (I'd mentioned sticking keys as a secondary concern) and RAM, but no motherboard (the tech hadn't even been told of the booting issue). Of course that didn't do anything, so he called and told them and they said they'd send the motherboard.

Last Friday, the tech finally came with that. He replaced everything and initially it didn't boot even for him. He got on the phone to say that it wasn't working and it did finally boot. He thought it was because on of the RAM cards was bad and it got better after he removed it and re-seated the other.

It worked fine over the weekend, but here I am again with a computer that won't power up all the way. It did act different today though. Before when it died, only the green led in the front would light. Today the three lights near the power button do light and you can hear a moment of fan noise or something, but then it goes dead. Twice the VAIO screen did come up with the first burst of the power-up tune, but then I get a black screen with a blinking cursor.

One time I did get a "Windows failed to boot because..." screen one time too, but when I selected the option and hit enter it died again and there's been no life since.

The tech is supposed to bring another RAM to replace the one he took out last week; I'd like to be able to tell him something else to look for....could you give me an idea of what the issue is?

Guuya Guuya Nov 05, 2007, 11:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

I am a PCGGRZ20 Vaio Malaysian user for about 4 years. I first bought it in 2003 and ever since that my laptop keep having the same problem(won't boot up) up until now. Altogether I have sent my laptop for about 4-5 times to repair to SONY every year for same problem and each time they charged me differently as they claimed that it was a different problem.

When i press the power button, i could hear the usual noise that you will hear when you "on" your laptop but however the screen is blank. Sometimes when i "on" it, the laptop will work properly but most of the time it won't.

I not an electric/electrical literate but i kept wondering why i have to resent my laptop every year for the same problem. Currently my laptop is with SONY as I sent it to repair for again the same problem and this time they wanted to charged me $1150++ because they said the problem lies in the motherboard and they would like to change it. My last repair was about 5 months ago and they just reboot the hardisk.

I have read through this forum and most of the user "propose" that it occur due to #2 memory slot. Right now my laptop is using 256 chip.

Should i change it to 516 on the first slot and throw away the 256?

Or is there anyone that can suggest what should i do/what's my laptop problem?

mige0 Nov 06, 2007, 07:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

if you have your notebook back and it has 2 ram slots, first try to use only one.
Find out which one is ok and wich one is bad by inserting only ONE ram to ONE slot.
Try this with both ram to find out if one is possibly defect ( detach from mains and remove battery when plugging ram! ).

IF you found one slot working use it and leave the other one - the defect one - free.
IF you need mor ram buy a bigger card - be aware that there are limits to the size of ram you can use in one slot ( I don't know how much it is in your case ).

Greetings
Michael

Guuya Guuya Nov 06, 2007, 10:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank's Micheal for your reply.

I'll try it as soon as i get back my laptop.

Thank you.

kakoli biswas Nov 06, 2007, 11:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I own a PCG-GRZ600P. It has been a pain since the very beginning. It's a piece of junk now. The main problem is that it won't boot. Nothing helps. I'll try to fix it by removing the 2nd RAM. That's the suggestion I got here. I would much rather own a different notebook... not a VAIO. It costs the earth for repairs in India. >:o

kyrin * Nov 07, 2007, 12:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 07, 2007, 12:15am EST

Hi,

I don't know if anyone has had this problem before because I have searched for VGN TX problems and found only this thread.

I own a Sony Vaio VGN-TX27CP/B, about 15 months old, and it is not booting. the power LED is on, the wireless LED is on (not bluetooth LED, which usually tells me its working if it has gotten that far)

Some history.
the original OS was simplified chinese (bought it in China) but my dad had his tech replace it with windows XP in english, so there was a history of problems with that which I do not know of since it was done entirely w/o my knowledge. (his tech said reinstalling was difficult.I think I'd have survived with the chinese OS.)

I have installed on my own a 1GB kingston RAM which has worked pretty spiffy so far. The only thing is I can't remember whether the startup problems started even before or only after I installed the RAM. I also travel between two countries, (rather humid) Singapore and (the rather dry) AA, michigan... After travelling it takes a while (leaving the computer on) for it to get past a blank screen. but it works fine, and i've done this transition about twice.

I have gotten a few(about 3 or 4 times) BSOD to which I have NO IDEA what happened because the error notice flashes by too fast, but windows error reporting states it is an unknown driver error. but twice when I was listening to music on iTunes and otherwise as per normal usage. I also notice the laptop goes into these comas when I have done "major" stuff like delete large files after burning them onto DVDs, defragmenting my drives, once after installing threatfire w/o disabling norton antivirus

usually if i leave my computer running for long enough it boots up but it has been more than 24 hours,nothing seems to be runnings, it is slightly warm, therefore, I am starting to panic and be more willing to spend to fix this problem because I love my vaio baby but it doesn't seem to love me. sigh I don't want to spend my days in the school computer lab.

also, as a side note, my computer internal clock is NEVER on time after i disconnect it from the power source (either power cord or battery) so someone told me the motherboard battery was dead. and I heard its expensive to replace it. I have no warranty to begin with. Also, I spent the last school year carrying my laptop to class and mostly had no problems with starting up as long as I don't put the system into standby. standby is anticipating-of-horror. Hibernation works very well for me most of the time except when I'm low on disk space.

help. T_T I will be eternally grateful. thanks very much if you actually read through my entire post.

sigh. sony's are too fragile (ie my power jack is loose after I tripped over my cable a few times, yanking on it but never every dropping my vaio...) but so pretty.

alessandro la ragione Nov 17, 2007, 12:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Guys!

i have sony vaio tx1xp and sony report me that have problem with power board....but what is powerboard?it possible change it or i need change motherboard???

Br,Alessandro

Joe K Nov 18, 2007, 11:04am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 18, 2007, 11:07am EST

Hello,

The Vaio TX series may develop a boot issue.

(The problem is usually promoted by flexing the case or tapping on the case, maybe even movement)

I've seen this and repaired it in the recent past. This is also a very difficult repair. BGA reworking is required and micro laser welding as well in some cases.

There is no "do it yourself" type repair for this problem. There are not may repair facilities that can perform this repair as well.

If you have a "no power" condition with the TX series, then you probably suffer from an individual problem and it's not very common.

"No power" and "no boot" are two different things.

There is no sub-power board in this laptop. All power supply related circuitry is located directly on the motherboard.

Once again, to date:

No VGN prefix Sony Vaio has displayed a RAM slot or DIMM slot problem. The VGN-T series may develop an embedded RAM issue but that is not the same as the infamous GRX/GRV/GRZ/FX DIMM slot problem.

Joe Kabalan
Adrian C Nov 18, 2007, 05:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone, this is my first post, I have same startup issues with it after exactly 2 years. It's Amazing how many people have this same problem.

Model: Sony Vaio VGN-T350P

It stops responding after 3 to 60 seconds after I turn it on. Usually it doesn't get to boot screen, it stops responding in bios too or wherever it is at that time.
If I leave it off for 20-30 minutes then it works for 1 minute or so.
LIghts seem to appear normally, CD spins, etc, looks like when keys and monitor are disabled.

I am not that stupid to waste my time with Sony support calls :)
Can any expert advise for this model? Do you think is the RAM or the RAM slot?
Should I open it and move ram ? It has 512MB ram, I do not know if it has one other available slot.

alessandro la ragione Nov 18, 2007, 06:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi guys,

where can i find a serious service manual for vaio tx1xp

Thanks,Alessandro

Ira Pazandeh Nov 20, 2007, 01:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi. My personal thinks to this forum and Mr. Matt Clayton for helping me fix my Vio NV-170 by removing the extended memory card and reinstaling it. You have saved me a lot of aggravation/ time and money.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.