Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1111 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:02am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
jus Mi Nov 26, 2007, 01:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hi,

I've vaio vgn txixp and I'm experiencing problem similar to Alessandro.

When I try to boot it.
I get some noise (beep) then nothing more.
Led of power, hd (to be confirmed) and on/off are lighted but no sound from hd and nothing on screen.

May you please advise.

Kind regards
g

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
jus Mi Nov 26, 2007, 04:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

tonight I tried to power my vgn tx1xp and for the first time in weeks.

it boot normally.
I was able to connect internet via wifi.
open every file and program.
then I tried to reboot but it freeze again.

what's happening

thank you very much

j

vinnee in San francisco Nov 28, 2007, 03:51am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

jacobson sonny Dec 11, 2007, 12:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My laptop crashed. I have a pcg v505 model, i recently updated the memory with 2 256mb and from xp to vista premium. it worked fine for like 2 1/5 months. Since yesterday it fails to boot properly. It boots for a few seconds and crashed. all three lights are on. I removed the memories and put back the old one, still nothing. it boots for a few seconds and crashes. I removed all memories and well it seems to boot without crashing but ofcourse the screen is black. so it seems to be a memory issue, though i might be wrong.
I am not sure what else to test.
I am thinking of removing the hard drive and plug it into another pc because i need the data. 2 questions:

1-what kind of connectors can i use to see the hard drive stuff on my pc
2- what else can i try to make it work for like 2 minutes (long enough for me to get some important files)

thanks

D L Dec 11, 2007, 04:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I recently got a Sony Vaio SZ330P/B and it's having all kind of issues!!

When I got the notebook and booted up, I received a Win32 error. I ignored this issue and now I'm getting all sorts of bootup problems! Whenever I bootup, I see a black screen, the power lights are on, and nothing happens. I have to do a hard boot from the power button 3-5 times before it boots up properly.

Other times, I would get a black screen with the following message:
"The last attempt to restart the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to restart again?"
Option1: "Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu"
Option2: "Continue with system restart"

When I choose Option1, it does a CHKDSK and boots up to windows login screen. After I login, sometimes I would get a Microsoft Windows Error: "BCCode: 24 BCP1: 001902FE BCP2: B4EA1380 BCP3: B4EA107C BCP4: BA666FF3 OSVer:5_1_2600 SP:2_0 Product:256_1" Then the only option is to click "CLOSE" button.

When I choose Option2, I see a blue screen and then it quickly reboots the computer. I can't even read what is on the blue screen as it flashes and reboots immediately.

This laptop is is less than 1 month old and already has so many issues. I contact Sony techsupport and haven't heard back from anyone!

M Riad Dec 12, 2007, 12:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi D L,
It seems like you need to reinstall windows to me. If you have the CD for XP, you can repair the installation.
Mike

M Riad Dec 12, 2007, 12:54am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Jacobson,
It seems that you have the memory slot issue. Try one of the memories at each slot one at a time. I would try the the one on the inside of the laptop first. If it doesn't work, try the other one. Again one memory at a time. While pressing the power button, apply a bit of pressure on the white plastic band that holds the memory. I would try each memory slot twice. Each time you reboot apply pressure on a different side. Do not apply pressure on the memory itself or you will damage the soldering of pins. If your laptop reboot with pressure your laptop needs repair.
As to reading your data off your hard drive, you need a USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Cable Adapter For 2.5". You can find it on eBay for a very reasonable price. You need to attach your hard drive as slave before you can see it on you desktop computer.
I hope this helps.
Mike

jacobson sonny Dec 12, 2007, 10:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks alot, i will give it a try tonight.

philtec Dec 12, 2007, 10:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you want to see what your blue screen had to say before shutting down, open the control panel,click on administrative tools then event viewer,then double click on the application column.Go down the list till you find your event.
This only can be done if you can boot up.

Hamid Saeedi Dec 13, 2007, 12:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi mike

I have a VGN-C240E which it is a too new model compared to others. I had a similar boot problem. I tried you advice on pressing the memory holders over mine and surprisingly this time I was able to see VAIO logo on the screen, nothing more of course, so it seems to me that I also have a memory slot problem. But what then, lets assume this is the problem, what would you suggest as apermanent solution.
Today I have got the boxes to send the laptop for repair (it is still under warranty). But I prefer not to send it if I can find a solution myself.

Thanks

Hamid

M Riad Dec 13, 2007, 07:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Hamid,
Thanks for your question.Your model is too new for me but my information on the VGN says that your VGN is not suffering from a memory slot issue but rather a video issue. Please go few pages back and read Joe's posts on the VGN. I had a VGN and the memory on it was aligned and soldered perfectly. I think when you pressed on the memory band you actually corrected the warped motherboard and connected the video ship back. This is not a do it yourself fix due to fact that you need to remove, clean re-install and solder the video ship back in place and to prevent that from happening again, you need to appoxy it in place. Simply too many things that can easily go wrong and damage your board forever. If your laptop is still under warrantee your best bet is to send it back to Sony. Why would you live with a repaired motherboard if you can have a new one? Sony will not spend two days repairing this motherboard they will simply replace it or may be on a good day send you a new laptop.
I hope this helps and good luck.
Mike

Hamid Saeedi Dec 13, 2007, 09:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Mike for your kind and prompt reply.

Hamid

Marc Gori Dec 15, 2007, 10:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi guys!
I am software developer, graphic designer and I am crazy with PC games.
I got a Sony Vaio FS660_W (1 GB RAM - 2 DIMS) 3 years ago. 4 months ago I was experiencing boot problems.
When I turned on my computer I just got the Vaio Screen, sometimes it went further, but it didn't access to the OS. These happened several times before it could start normaly.
What I find extrange is that when I got the OS (Windows XP) screen everything was working fine. I could play or do anything until I decided reboot it, then the boot problem again. I was really frustrated, so I decided to buy a new laptop instead of fixing the Sony Vaio. No w I see that the problem can have a solution. I was reading here the memory slot problem, but I haven't done anything yet because I would like to hear your advise.

Hope you can help me, Marc.

PD: thx for the posts on the forum. They are very helpful

Lizzie 2008 mccl Dec 24, 2007, 08:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Alessandro
My vaio TX1 died on 31 November. I then was away for three weeks and bought a new Sony TZ21.
When I returned, I started up the TX and it was perfect for about four hours, then it died again.
What I find odd is that four people have had problems with the TX1 on this site since 17th of November. Was it an MS download?
I will think about it a bit more and see if it starts tomorrow.

If anyone knows of any thing I should check while it is up and running, please let me know.
Liz

Lizzie 2008 mccl Dec 24, 2007, 08:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Further to earlier post:

Adrian C has a T35
Alessandro has a T35
Anmin Wang has a TX27
Jus Mi has a TX 1XP
I have a TX 1XP

All these are on the final pages, 91 and 92 of the "booting problem" posts and they are all VGN T series.

Sherlock Homes............... Where is Dr Watson?

Joe K Dec 26, 2007, 08:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 26, 2007, 08:19pm EST

Hi Lizzie,

The following information is my personal opinion, it may or may not be accurate according to any "industry standards" or any entities public or private.

The Vaio T and TX series are two totally different animals with two different problems.

Both are non - end - user repairable. These issues need to be resolved at a motherboard repair facility. Both series will suffer from "freezing" and "non-boot" issues stemming from two different sources of the problem.

If a Vaio owner is suffering from a no boot issue, such as (hit the power button and no video is produced) it's nearly impossible for that condition to be related to a hard drive or any software on the hard drive.

The system's POST or (boot) process is completely independent of the hard drive and it's function.

Now, there may be some rare cases where the hard drive had a serious logic or power circuit fault that may have had an impact on the motherboard POST process but that is extremely RARE.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Joe K Dec 26, 2007, 08:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Marc,

The Vaio FS series don't suffer from the DIMM slot problem. I believe I've stated that in the past in this thread.

There are no "End User" type repairs for this condition. It needs to go to a professional motherboard repair facility that has micro laser welding capability and BGA rework capability as well for long term reliability repair

Please see:

http://www.aqstech.com/vaio9.html

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Nico Binford Dec 26, 2007, 08:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 26, 2007, 08:42pm EST

Umm, this post has been going on for 5 years now. Isn't it easier just to get a new laptop?

Marc Gori Dec 27, 2007, 10:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi!
Thanks Joe K., I understand now that I'll have to take my Sony Vaio to USA in order to fix it. I would like to take it to your store because as I see you have the experience needed to fix this issue.

I got a new Acer Atlhon 64 X2, so I am not hurry at the moment.
I'll be at USA next summer and I hope you can help me when I get there.
Anyway if there is any way in wich I can send you the laptop so you can repair it before, that will be great.
Thanks, you have been very helpful.

Koray Jan 02, 2008, 02:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe,

I just replaced my Vaio VGN-A29XP mainboard after liquid damage. I got the new (used) board from ebay, and the seller didn't know its condition. The seller said that it is from a VGN-A117 (but they have the part number on the board). I got it cheap (~50) anyway.

After installing, I found out that it gives the same error Andrew mentioned below, however, it reboots only when there is a RAM on the board. Otherwise, it will just boot and stay on without video... I found this website of yours defining an error, http://www.aqstech.com/vaio10.html - is this the same error?

Could you please let me know what causes this and about the costs of repair?

Kind regards,

Koray.

Andrew Hang said:
Hi,

I am the owner of a Sony Vaio VGN-A130B, experiencing the same problem as everyone else here (the computer will power on, but no video, then shuts off, then powers on again with no video). I have tried to test if the RAM slots are the problem, but that does not seem to be it. Additionally, the hard drive and cd drive are not the problem, as the computer still has the problem even after removing both. What exactly is the cause of this error? Thanks in advance.

-Andrew

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.