Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 669 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:24am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Craig Lance Jan 05, 2008, 05:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
My Vaio PCG-GRS700P is having the exact same problem. Pressing the power button flashes all LEDs, and then leaves the power LED on. The CPU fan and DVD drive spin up, but it never starts the BIOS and the screen stays blank.

I stayed in e-mail contact with eSupport.Sony.com and they had me try everything I've read here: reset switch, reset BIOS, pull everything (RAM, DVD drive, battery, etc.) Nothing Sony suggested worked.

But, I found a sure fire way to get the notebook to boot. I crack the window and place the notebook on the window sill for 20 minutes. Minnesota's sub-zero temperature has a positive effect on the notebook. After 20 minutes in the cold it will boot the first time every time. This is not the solution I'm looking for.

There are at leave 100 posts to this thread. I'm going to read them until I find a solution, but if some one reads this post and know the answer, could you post the link to it please?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
philtec Jan 05, 2008, 08:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try removing one then the other memory sticks to see if it will boot up with one removed.
If it does then you have our memory socket defect.
I posted on page 85 and have the same problem.

Craig Lance Jan 05, 2008, 08:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
:) I found a fix on this site that seems to work: the shrink wrap fix:
/content/visitor/37950/
/content/visitor/31335/
(I'm not sure the link rules for this site since this is my first time posting to this site).

For details on my problem, see my previous post above.

I couldn't find my soldering shrink wrap, so I used one of those fat rubber bands they use to hold broccoli together :cool:. I cut it the length of the memory SIMM and laid it down on top of it. When I placed the door to the memory on top, it was slightly raised, meaning that when I screw it down it will push slights down on the memory SIMM. I was surprised: I thought I'd at least have to double it up, but I didn't have to. This rubber band is about 0.5mm thick and 1 inch wide (just wide enough for the memory SIMM).

Note: I'm only using memory slot #1 w/256MB RAM, but I intend to upgrade to two 512MB RAM, 1GB total. I found an eBay store that sells this much Sony RAM for $25. So, I'll have to cut another piece from this rubber band. :P

And all this time I was worried I'd have to crack open the case.

Hereís my test results:
Reboots, consecutive: 5 good
Hard boots: 2 bad, 2 good

Iím not satisfied with this (hard boot is most important), so I double up the rubber bands. Now the RAM cover is really propped up:
Hard boots: 13 good

If I find anything else regarding this issue, Iíll post it.

Sincerely Yours,

-=- Craig

Chris Szark Jan 05, 2008, 12:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
I have sony vgn s260 ,wont boot,power led on when pressing power button,hard drive led blink once,charging batttery when needed(battery led on),dvd rom spin,fan spin.still wont boot,black screen!!!
I have tried apply some pressure on memmory(i have one 512Mb) tried swapping to another socket,nothing.
I heve even try applying some pressure on video chip,nothing.
Could it be a bad ram module?or processor?
Help me if you can.
Chris

bruce Dealhoy Jan 05, 2008, 09:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Can somone give the specs for the memory stick that I should be picking up for the Vaio FX310? I've just inherited one that has Windows running super slow (boot takes 15 minutes), and I'm getting what looks like 384 MB with 2 256MB memory sticks.

Additional quesiton: is ther anyway of determining if I'm actually getting responses from the meory sockets without doing a close physical inspection? Mk 1 rangefinders are generally not functional at close distances and under technical situations (looking at pinouts and wave-flow soldering jobs).

Koray Jan 06, 2008, 09:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 04, 2008, 04:43pm EST

>> NONE
NONE

Craig Lance Jan 06, 2008, 01:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey Chris Szark,

It sounds like the problem I had. I'm surprised my solution didn't work. Your system is doing everything neccessary to boot up to the point where memory is needed, so I'd focus on the RAM problem.

How are you applying pressure? What I did was place 1mm of rubber (any non-conductive material) the length and width of the SIMM and then closed the RAM door on the bottom of the notebook. It booted for me every time after that.

Sincerely,

-=- Craig

Craig Lance Jan 06, 2008, 02:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
bruce Dealhoy,

That sounds about right for your memory. Run Task Manager (Start/Run.../ type: taskmgr.exe) and click on the Performance tab. Examine Physical Memory (K) at the bottom of the window. That's how much physical memory you have installed in Kilobytes (1024 bytes) less approximately 1MB (1024K), give or take 0.5MB for non-extended memory below the 1MB boundry (old DOS/8086 16-bit limitation...don't ask). That memory is only used by low-level drivers and is not accounted for my Windows. It's there and in use, but you just can see it.

Sincerely,

-=- Craig

Chris Szark Jan 06, 2008, 05:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HI
Thanks Craig for advice ... but it wont help i put some rubber thing as you said,nothing!
then i lightly apply some pressure on most of elememts of mainboard...nothing
i'm not sure but i think sometimes fan wont spin,or somethimes stop after a minute,but that would't make a diffrent?
i have no idea what to do!
i think this might be a bad ram module(memory stick) but i have no chance of checking it.
regards
Chris

Craig Lance Jan 07, 2008, 01:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oh Chris,

I hope for your sake it's a bad SIMM module. If so, you could buy a Sony 512MB SIMM on eBay for $12.49. If not, it's probably bad soldering joints, like really bad, to the point of taking it to a repair shop.

Find yourself a good small computer repair shop that would be willing to try a different SIMM module in your notebook, just to see if that's the problem.

-=- Craig

M Riad Jan 07, 2008, 11:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Chris,
You have a VGN S260. This laptop does not have a memory problem. Your problem is most probably a video ship solder. You cannot fix it yourself. You need a percision solder tool that cost more than your laptop. If you put pressure on the memory you are creating a bigger problem. You need to read the earlier threads by Joe who keeps repeating this.
If you put rubber on the memory slot between the cover and the memory, you will damage the good solder that is still in contact as it will lift far enough and cannot be repaired later.
Your cheapest and fastest way to fix this laptop is to call Joe.
Good luck,
Mike

Craig Lance Jan 07, 2008, 11:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
<Big Sigh>

My friend came and picked up him Vaio and it's working with my insulation fix. However, I warned/suggested that since it's currently fully functional, this would be an ideal time to sell it and buy another brand, like Toshiba or Dell: Toshiba because I believe they're the best and Dell because I hear they're easy to repair.

I, myself, own a hand-me-down Acer. I works well and is very easy to repair.

Good luck Chris!

Sincerely,

-=- Craig

Chris Szark Jan 08, 2008, 04:23am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi
Dear Mike thanks for your reply.
I did put some pressure or video chip and memory just to check if those elements causing problem (as Joe mention before,you can put some pressure just for test)
I dont wont to ruin this motherboard, so i;m not doing it constantly.
But that kind of test doesn't show me a problem.(maybe this motherboard is in really bad that even some pressure wont make a diffrent)
Wish i could send it to Joe but it will cost me a fortune,as i'm from Poland.
I'm just wondering ,how big is possibility that my ram module is bad,as i bought my another second hand motherboard on eBay for $140 as a working one.
regards
Chris

Kevin Li Jan 10, 2008, 11:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you so much for this thread! I was about to spend hundreds on repairs or a new computer. I cant believe a piece of tape solved all my problems. I spent several hours taking the whole laptop apart trying to find the problem. What a stupid design error by SONY. Just shows how unreliable their products are. Anyways, thanks again. As long as the tape holds, my vaio seems to be working fine!

Craig Lance Jan 11, 2008, 03:10am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have to say both, 'you're welcome' and 'thank you' too. Without this thread I wouldn't have repaired this Viao. It's made Hardware Analysis my first place to look for hardware issues.

Adrian C Jan 11, 2008, 03:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I cannot unsubscribe , grr ....

bruce Dealhoy Jan 12, 2008, 08:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Craig Lance said:
bruce Dealhoy,

That sounds about right for your memory. Run Task Manager (Start/Run.../ type: taskmgr.exe) and click on the Performance tab. Examine Physical Memory (K) at the bottom of the window. That's how much physical memory you have installed in Kilobytes (1024 bytes) less approximately 1MB (1024K), give or take 0.5MB for non-extended memory below the 1MB boundry (old DOS/8086 16-bit limitation...don't ask). That memory is only used by low-level drivers and is not accounted for my Windows. It's there and in use, but you just can see it.

Sincerely,

-=- Craig

I did some more checking on the memory sticks and I was wrong. One is 256MB and the other is 128MB, so it looks like the sticks are good and the connectors are definitely seated and properly soldered.

I started to think abut whther or not it is the hard drive, and downloaded a diagnostics program (hdtune.exe) and am getting what looks like spikes in throughput during the test. I also get a critical warning that the drive temperature is 58 degrees Celsius. Most of the throughput is in the range of 2-5 MB/sec with the spikes hitting 24 MB/Sec. I've run the test several times and I get the spikes in about the same positions in the display.

I'm getting heat from somewhere. Could this be a sign of a failing hard-drive? (Slow response and heat?)

Thanks!

remi thomas Jan 14, 2008, 01:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
same problem with a VAIO VGN FS315S.
To boot up I had to press firmly on the memory chips and it 's working in 50% of the case.
Thanks to Sony for having a better way to protect your data than a BIOS password ;)

I bought a Dell today (don't make twice the asme mistake) and I will try to get the Sony fixed. I let you know all if I can get this cover by the warranty even if my warranty expired 13 months ago.

Good Luck
Remi

David Shmoys Jan 29, 2008, 08:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a SONY Vaio VGN T350 and starting in November I had exactly the same problems. First it would only shut down after being on for a long time, then progressively shorter. In the end, no response at all to powering on. (There was a SONY advocated procedure of "discharging" by powering with no battery first that did seem to help get it started again, but then the instant crash followed right after.)

Does any one know a solution for this? (I checked with Joe K in December and he said that his solution doesn't apply here.)

David

David Anderson Jan 30, 2008, 05:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi problem magnets
I had a vaio with the memory problem. Rather than listen to tech help i folded a piece of card and placed it on top of the memory slots and replaced the cover. This put pressure on the slot and guess what. Works a treat. Doesnt cost much to do and i still have a working laptop. Please try. What have you to loose. Hope this helps at least one person

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.