Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 661 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:27am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
john albrich May 20, 2008, 08:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Josh Deuley said:
...It was as if the cord got too hot and melted the plastic that was on the end....

Sounds like a design error in matching the power plug/jack combo to the laptop power requirements.

Too little contact between the jack and plug could lead to over-heating of the assembly and damage the components as you've described.

Suggests the problem may return at a later time.

Hope Sony has selected a different assembly for other laptops.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Mohit Mittal May 21, 2008, 12:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
I am having Vaio VGN FZ130E. For couple of months it worked fine without any problem but just a mnoth before it has started some strange things.
Sometimes it doesn't boots up , and sometime it will suddenly shut down(Power off) and sometimes the display will suddenly go off.
I tried many things and some even very junk .... however got one way to atleast get it boot up for a while .... i took out the battery and fixed it again ... this worked fine for some time but now it shuts down after few min of booting up ....

i went to vaio service and wht really amazed me was they even took out the battery and fixed it again and returned the laptop back to me .... dont know now how to get rid of this prob .... if someone have ne way out plz reply

Craig Sutherland Jun 30, 2008, 12:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

My pcg-grx580 died, no power, no charge, no boot. fuse on mb is good, anyboby have any idea as to what might be bad.

paul anon Jul 02, 2008, 08:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dave Osborne said:
My laptop was showing the same signs by simply freezing and needing a reboot but it would always come back up - just with half the ram that I paid Sony for. Went through their tech support BS (which was of NO help whatsoever) All of this happened 2 months outside my warranty......BOTTOM LINE FIX: Open the bottom cover with a small phillips screwdriver - it seems that the majority of the failures are coming from memory slot #2 (the one closest to the back of the computer) - buy a short length of heat-shrink wrap ( the kind you would use on about 12ga wire) - cut 3 short lengths of it and place it in between each of the memory chips (the theory is that when you put the cover back on - it pushes the chip down) I did this and it shows my full amount of ram again.......Don't spend the $600 that sony wants to fix it......Actually.....don't ever buy Sony again.......

badgers nadgers...

my grx316sp was showing same problem only 256mb showing (seemed like one chip had failed) google directed me here, tried Dave's suggestion (used 5 but will try 3 in a mo...) and its now showing full 512mb ram. Thanks Dave... and this forum for hosting old topics still... cool :cool:

what a crap design fault... on a premium laptop (it cost me a fortune about 6 years ago...) I'd tend to agree that maybe avoid sony from now on... it was overpriced and under performing....

Daniel Estrada Jul 09, 2008, 07:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am experiencing similary problems. When i try to start it up, it wont even take me to the login screen. I tried running it in safe mode/last known best configuration and no dice...still same problem. I removed the battery, unplugged the power cord and let it chill there over night and repeated the steps mentioned...still nothing. anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks and take care.

Daniel

philtec Jul 09, 2008, 08:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 09, 2008, 08:19pm EDT

Try running with only one stick of memory.
Remove one if that doesnt work put back and remove the other.

Matt Lee Jul 09, 2008, 09:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hmm

T Simms Jul 15, 2008, 10:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the Sony Vaio VGN-S260P and had the same problem, so months taking it to several repair center, I decided to contact Sony to find their authorize repair center.

I brought it to the repair center store and after 2 days I get a call from them stating that the motherboard was bad, so if your having this issue it's most likely your motherboard or call Sony and find their Authorized repair center where your located.

Larry Curtis Jul 24, 2008, 02:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just joined this thread due to my Viao FS640 exhibiting same problems as most of the rest of you. And thanks to all that had some strategies to get going again.

My unit is refurbished, bought 18 months ago. It ran flawlessly until 2 days ago and I got messages on startup varying from memory shortage, paging problem etc. Then I got blank screens after the Viao start up screen. I was able to get the Viao booted up today after leaving the battery out for a day, but I did other things too that could have affected the outcome. For example I had the battery out, unplugged external power, and held the power button down for 30 seconds (is this the reset for this unit, there is no reset hole on underside). Then I replaced battery and it started up OK, except it now found new hardware: APCI something or other. This was actually "found" on my last successful reboot 2 days ago.

So...I have little faith in the unit's ability to operate correctly and consistently going forward. I am going to pull off all the user files right now and plan to replace the laptop. I have two older Dell laptops that have worked flawlessly for over 4 years.

Larry Curtis Jul 30, 2008, 12:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
UPDATE to last post [by me]

THe Vaio boots 95% of the time if i press down on the left side. So I seem to have the same issue as others with loose memory. When I have time I will try the heat shrink solution used by other posters

T Simms Jul 30, 2008, 06:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the response, but thats not the issue, I contacted SONY and they had me bring it in to a SONY Authorized Repair Center in Greenwich, CT.

after the repair center having the laptop for 2-3 days, they contacted me and told me that the motherboard was no good.

Mihailo K Aug 21, 2008, 04:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have similar problem.
Model: VGN-FJ3S (PCG-7Q1M)

It started with Shut Downs, after half an hour, 10 minutes, 2 minutes, on Windows XP Logo.
In Safe Mode it took longer. Precisely, I think it never happened. Iíve tried PC Doctor Test in Safe Mode and after an hour Iíve got ďError in Batch ModeĒ message.

After this test, I couldnít Power on the notebook.
Symptoms:
Battery Mode: Lights (NumLock, Power, Battery, no HDD light) lit for a few seconds, and then stop. No fan.
AC Mode (without battery installed): Lights (Power, Battery, no HDD light, and no NumLock) lit for a few seconds, and then stop. No fan.

Iíve opened Vaio (Tip: there are 3 hidden screws above DVD. Canít open with DVD inside.). Nothing visible. Iíve replaced memory, tried just one in both slots, check HDD connection, even check with other Sony Vaio battery. NOTHING.

Any Tips? If nobody can help, can you please try to answer on following two questions:
1. Is my motherboard dead? How can I check it?
2. Does somebody know location of CMOS battery? I didnít find anything similar to desktop CMOS here.

Thanks anyway.

Josh Deuley Aug 22, 2008, 08:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sounds like it could be an overheating issue. I know that some laptop manufactures "glob" heat sink compound on top of the CPU, which eventually causes overheating. Happened to me before just like you described. Clean the compound off the CPU and reapply the correct way. You could fry the CPU if you don't correct the heat issue. Hope this helps.

Roberta Morris Aug 26, 2008, 02:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Sony Vaio laptop VGN-T350P. About a month ago, I replaced the battery. About a week ago, the laptop started turning off completely for no apparent reason. It would start back up fine, but it was annoying. Today, it won't start. When I push the power button, both it and the battery idiot light on the left above the key baord begin to flash on and off. I've tried removing the battery (which should have been at 100% charge) and the same thing happens. I've tried unplugging it from the wall and the same thing happens. One tip-off may be that the brick doesn't seem to be getting warm, although its green light is on. Any ideas? Thanks.
Roberta

rijoshp pb Sep 03, 2008, 07:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jaspal Hayre said:
Greetings from the UK !

I have a S150 / PCG-6C2L which I bought off eBay (that'll teach me) a month ago thinking things can't go wrong with a Sony. They have a huge reputation for reliability etc over here.

Well my laptop has stopped booting up. Get the power led etc but wont even display the bootup splash screen.

I have tried removing the second memory Dimm and padding the memory dimms but this has not helped.
I have also tried removing the battery and power adaptor for several hours and trying to bootup but nothing.

I am halfway through a project and desperatly need to get data of the hard drive. Cannot anyone tell me how I can do this ?

If anyone even knows where the hard drive is located in the chasis this would be a help.

This is very urgent.

Thanks in advance
Jas

Mohit Mittal Sep 03, 2008, 09:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey Jas,

i experienced a similar prob few months back with sony vaio.
I pushed hard the back of the laptop where battery is attached and thn it did worked for me , sometimes i use to take out the battery and place it back again , howevr now it works only with Power not with battery ... u can try these things ....

God save Sony and its customers!!!!

Mohit

Josh Deuley Sep 03, 2008, 08:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jas,

There is a slide plate on the underside of the case where the hard drive is. You can also by a usb laptop hard drive external enclosure. Pull the hard drive out and install it in the external drive then use another computer and pull the data you need off. Hope this helps.

robin mcmahon Sep 04, 2008, 04:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have a vaio also that won't reboot. first the mother board was replaced, then there was an issue with the display. of course, it's not rebooting again but the warranty is expired. i used to have a sony before this and it worked perfectly for over 6 years. it never stopped working actually i just decided to upgrade. now i have switched to mac. >:o

mohsin abbas Sep 29, 2008, 07:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I am also facing a similar problem. When I removed the memory slot 2, it worked for few minutes and then it went off. It does not boot again. Any ideas please??

Regards,
Mohsin

Joe K Sep 30, 2008, 10:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Model numbers, we need model numbers to identify which "no boot" problem you're suffering from..

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.