Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 913 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 01 - 09:48pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Egbe Terence Oct 14, 2008, 12:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
if u battery is fully charged it should be able to boot ur pc.if u get the sensation that the batery is full yet u cant boot am afraid could be ur battery nevertheless check ur ac cable but i but a bait on ur battery

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Egbe Terence Oct 14, 2008, 12:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> my pc load into the OS
Good day all well i got this asus motherboard and guess what it boots up to windows and either freezes or restats.Already changed the RAM trice but the same prob comes up.I got a 40Gb maxtor hdd ut i works well on ma other pc.well dont know what could b the posible prob.Can any one gimme a hand

Raizelle Lee Oct 20, 2008, 01:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,

I currently own a Sony Vaio VGN-S58GP.

It was working all fine & suddenly it doesn't boot up...
When I press on the power button, there's light on the indicator but no response from the laptop.

When I finally get a response, it only shows the vaio logo thereafter the windows xp logo... & went blank..

I do suspect its a hard disk problem cos there were some sort of click sounds before it completely don't response.

I've read up on the net to check the power cord, check the ram, cooling fan, all are intact, no signs of damaged. Have clean away all the dust visible.

Still it doesn't helps...
Till now I've read so much & confused about all the info given as I'm not good with computers parts & stuff.

I've serviced this once last year, sent to Sony for repairs & they said its a hard disk issue so they replaced it. Cost me close to SGD300!

How do I determine or pinpoint what's the problem now?

I do not wish to waste unnecessary money at Sony again.
If I were to replace the hard disk myself... I'll lose the Windows XP prog which came with the laptop?
No disc was given when I purchased the laptop 2.5yrs back.

I managed to dig up a stack of discs which I back up the whole Windows XP system.

So this enables me to reinstall the Windows XP but apparently it black out halfway through the installation... Out of the 8 discs, only managed to clear the 1st disc... But not completely done..

I've got no data in the laptop at this moment as I just formated it last week cos it was getting real slow. Before this format, everything was working fine; just that the speed was real slow & I kept getting d/c fr Direct IP gaming.

After the clean format, only installed the game "Age of mythology" & Firefox.
It was running fine until past 2 days it started to black out.

So now I'm still stuck with a laptop which doesn't boot...

Great thanks to anyone who can help! :)

laptops only Oct 25, 2008, 08:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
you can also send your sony laptop to us <a
href="http://laptopsonly.co.uk"> laptop repair in london http://www.laptopsonly.co.uk we can diagnose this laptop for free, if you are londoner, we can pick up laptop from you!

Philip den Hollander Nov 02, 2008, 07:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

For about 14 months I own a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ11S. It always worked until a few days ago. I was playing STALKER (great game!) when the whole system crashed. Okay, all I could do was hit the off button and reboot. And that's exactly what I did. Well, after the flash screen you see in the beginning nothing happened. No Windows, no nothing. Just a black screen with a nice mouse pointer, which I could move around but nothing else. I rebooted once again but I got the sames**t. It's been like this for three days. I can't even get to my recovery partition because the computer can't get past the black screen. I eventually browsed the internet and found a site where I could (legally) download the recovery file. Popped it in, rebooted the computer from the cd but like I expected nothing happened. Okay, maybe a genuine Vista installation cd would help? I borrowed my mate's Vista cd, popped it in, rebooted from the dvd and still I get THE SAME F***ING BLACK SCREEN. Wtf? So now I am stuck with a Vaio that gives me nothing than a black screen. I can't reinstall Vista and I can't use the recovery environment. Next to that I tried everything: F2, F8, F10, F12, changing slots... nothing worked. I am this far from throwing the f***er from my 3 storeys high balcony.

Argh. I will never buy from Sony again. This is the third time a Sony product dies on me in about 3 years.

luis vegas Nov 09, 2008, 11:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Dave! as these? My name is Luis Vegas, I'm from Venezuela. I just wrote to thank you for writing to the solution to the problem with the memories of the Sony Vaio laptop pcgfx-370, I was about 1 years looking like solve that problem. It's funny, I cut 2 piece of plastic Eraser, I place one bit on top of each memory and. .. Miracle! will solve it! jajaja, Now i have 2 Memories from 256MB operating, not amazing? Thank you so much, really, I dismissal from Venezuela.

Luis Vegas

Excuse my English, I do not speak English, translated what I write from a translator of google ;D I love internet.. jeje

Jim Brucculeri Nov 24, 2008, 11:32am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 24, 2008, 11:44am EST

Hi,

I've got a Sony Vaio GRX3P (I think it's the Asian market's version of the GRX-570)...this thing was a lemon from day one. Joe Kabalan has fixed literally everything on this machine...memory slots, power plug, backlight, power circuit...I forget what else. Remarkably, after six years and all that repair work, it still runs as a Linux box.

My question is this...the CMOS battery is dead, and I'd replace it myself if it's not too hard to access. Does anyone know where the CMOS battery is located on this model? I took off the power button strip and the keyboard to clean out the dust in the fans, but I couldn't see it.

Thanks,

Jim

Joe K Nov 25, 2008, 09:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Jim,

When you removed the power button panel, you should have seen a fan located at the center of the panel. The CMOS battery is located under that fan assembly. You can actually see the wires extending to the left side of the fan unit and plugs into the motherboard. (the wires are visible but the battery is hidden)

You can buy a new battery and plug it into the motherboard (after you unplug the original) and lay the battery in the open space that would be in relation to the left speaker clearing in the chassis.

I'm suggesting this to avoid you having to disassemble the laptop further, otherwise in order to remove the CMOS battery you will need to remove the keyboard, then remove the heat shield, then remove the fan, then remove the battery.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Jim Brucculeri Nov 27, 2008, 12:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 27, 2008, 12:45pm EST

Hi Joe,

Thanks so much for that! I was afraid it was somewhere under the palm rest, but what you described is much easier than I was fearing.

Best regards,

Jim

Elias Serras Dec 26, 2008, 05:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 26, 2008, 05:29pm EST

Hello,

I fit the description of a poor college student who can't spend money on a new laptop or a new motherboard. I own a VGN-FS660. It started malfunctioning shortly after my 2 year warranty was up. Boot problems, overheated occasionally, got stuck on VAIO logo screen quite often, and now it just wont boot at all. Brought it in for a $45 diag, here in upstate NY and the guy told me it needs either a new motherboard for $400 or he said the motherboard could possibly be repaired for $300. After doing some research on this I see that I am not alone. What I really want to know is if SONY has responded to many people about these faulty laptops, and how I would go about getting some compensation in the form of refund or free repair/replacement from them. If this is unrealistic please let me know what other options may be, I'm also sending out an email to Joe.
thank you

philtec Dec 27, 2008, 03:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey,
I posted about this (bad socket) back on page 85.
I have been using my GRX-560 with only 256 mb for over 2 years (slow) and had an idea about putting in one stick of 512 mb from a GRX-600 or GRX-700 series into the one working socket.
Has anyone tried this with success?
On the second page of this posting someone did this with success around 5 years ago and there seems to be much talk about a law suit against sony in the following pages and nothing has been done.
I would call to ask the memory company (Crucial) but as it is saturday, they are not there till monday morning,and thought I would throw this out at my fellow GRX owners.

Joe K Dec 28, 2008, 10:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Elias, I responded to your email.

Philtec,

You can put a total of 2 x 512mb = 1 GIG into the GRX laptop. I have no info on the lawsuit.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
philtec Dec 28, 2008, 12:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe K said:
Elias, I responded to your email.

Philtec,

You can put a total of 2 x 512mb = 1 GIG into the GRX laptop. I have no info on the lawsuit.

In my case I will be happy to get 512 back as the one socket is bad. THANKS

Elias Serras Dec 28, 2008, 02:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Not sure about the status of this lawsuit, but I did write a letter to Sony electronic executive review committee in the hopes that they will make right on my faulty laptop. I'll let you know how it turns out. If they don't, this thing is going straight to Joe.

Allan Kostyk Jan 09, 2009, 08:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
VGN-FE790P

A week ago my display started to flicker then went black,but could see the Vaio screen when I turn it on so I figured it was a back bulb or the inverter so a repair guy bouht an inverter saying thats usually it is a display goes dim, well he Replaced it and didn't work, he also attached to another screen and it does not go past the Vaio screen.

If the motherboard is replaced fix it, I don't have the money to buy another new Vaio and I love this one, can anybody help? with some answers.

Allan Kostyk Jan 10, 2009, 01:06 GMT

OK guys more info on my Sony Vaio VGN-FE790P. I can see it go to my desktop but is very dark still using my originall HD it came with I can use with a bright lite and get it to use an external monitor as well, it can read discs.surf through my system and folders and connect to the net...etc, the other hard drive which was a 160 gigs I had in it I bought last year and it just goes to a recovery menu, so I tried using the resource discs to re-instal XP PRO but an hour into it it goes to an error after about an hour into it. I am guessing that hard drive is corrupted since it is working with the 80 gig but still a very dim display.

Any ideas

M Riad Jan 09, 2009, 10:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Allan,
Assuming you have checked the screen's kill switch and it is not stuck closed. This is a switch that turns off the monitor when you fold down the screen.

If the kill switch is fine, I think your problem was diagnosed correctly initially by changing the inverter. I also think that the inverter used to replace the old was also defective.

Another item is the soldering of the bulb and if the solder touches the aluminium sheild, your bulb will ground and not light. You may have to re-check the assembly and make sure the soldering is not touching anything and is sitting properly in its rubber boots.
An error message while installing an operating system does not mean a defective laptop.
Good luck,
Mike

M Riad Jan 09, 2009, 10:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Allan,
I reading your post again and it seems that I missed an important part. Did you say that the inverter worked on a different screen or your laptop did not go past the vaio screen on an external monitor?
If your laptop did not give picture on an external monitor, your video ship is the issue and not the inverter. In this case the ship will need to be resoldered which in my experience is not a do it yourself kind of a job but it is reparable.
Best regards,
Mike

Allan Kostyk Jan 10, 2009, 01:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike,

Orignally with the 160 gig hard drive I had in there when this all statred. I wouls only see the Vaio screen, thats when a guy replaced the inverter but it did not solve the problem, but when you closed the lid and opened it fast you could see something more for a few seconds 'error loading system' or something like that. I tried using my resource disks to re-install XP Pro again but 45 minutes into it it goes to some weird 'error'. I guess that hard drive in corrupted.

So what I did was took my older 80 gig hard drive and put it in and it boots up with no problem, just still a dim display which I need a powerful light to see it.I hooked my PC monitor to laptop and it worked and I can do everything, surf the net,look at folders, download stuff....etc.

I talked to the guy again who put an inverter in the laptop, he thinks the usedd one he bought might have been bad but not sure.

Now this hard drive I have in now has the upgradeable Vista Business and was thinking of re-installing the XP, but I am really hoping the other hard drive was bad and I won't have the same error when doing this on this 80 gig drive. I might just wait to see if this guy can get another inverter.

in short I am hoping another inverter or maybe a back lite will fix this but if you guys have any other ideas, please go right ahead, its appreciated.

Allan Kostyk Jan 10, 2009, 01:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 10, 2009, 01:27am EST

Mike,

Should I still look at this kill switch, and if so where am I looking for this on the laptop?

thanks
Allan

Vasant Dandekar Jan 10, 2009, 06:51am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have GRX 520. Won't turn on. No power, no lights. I tried every thing. resoldered the power - DC jack, changed cmos battery, resoldered memory slots, changed CPU, changed power cord still no power.

Does any one know what next I can do or which is the power chip do I need to change on the mother board?

Vasant

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.