Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 729 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:33am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Tom Pappas Feb 21, 2009, 11:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
I do NOT recommend poking around inside your computer with anything metallic for any reason.

If you want to reset the machine, don't use a pin, pen, or paper clip. Get your hands on an old-fashioned wooden toothpick and press the button until it very subtly (almost imperceptibly) clicks.

To move things around inside the chassis, I always use a wooden stick that I got from the Good Humor man. Pop's Ickles work as well.

Tom

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Ken Grover Feb 22, 2009, 12:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In reference to the problem with the restart from hibernation error, and the keyboard is unresponsive, I conducted a chat with a Sony tech support analyst, and he gave me some instructions that actually worked:

(Quoting from the chat session below...)

Nathaniel_ > As the previous attempt of the System Restore was not succeeded, it is required to select the Boot Option using the arrow key of the Keyboard to proceed with the steps.

Ken Grover > Yes, but the arrow key is not working. i.e. when I press it, nothing changes on the screen. And, the Enter key does not select the highlighted option as I'd expect it would.

Nathaniel_ > In this case, please disconnect all the external peripherals connected to the Notebook, then reset the BIOS to default values and try to perform the steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Nathaniel_ > Please start the Notebook, press the F2 key as soon as the VAIO logo appears to access the BIOS Setup screen.

Nathaniel_ > Then, press the F9 key followed by the Enter key to reset the BIOS to default values and then press the F10 key to Save and Exit from the BIOS screen.

Nathaniel_ > Please follow the steps to reset the BIOS to default values and then try to boot the Notebook to the Windows.

Ken Grover > Okay, after following your instructions, the restart error message appeared again, but this time the keyboard responded. It's now booting up to Windows XP.

So.... whatever caused this problem in the first place is unknown, but at least I was able to get back to where I could use the computer.

I'd tried to get into Setup before making the tech support call, but I think the key was to start tapping the F2 key as soon as anything appeared on the screen immediately after pressing the Power On button.

I hope this might help someone... I can't believe how many people have encountered it with no solution received... or posted.... that I could find anyway.

p.s. my Vaio laptop model number is VGN-FS680/W

Tom Pappas Feb 22, 2009, 10:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't even wait for anything to appear on the screen - because if I do, I sometimes miss the "window" where F2 is effective. I start tapping as soon as I hit the Power button.

While we're on the topic of resetting the CMOS to the BIOS defaults, it might be mentioned that there is a small class of startup problems that respond favorably to resetting by completely unplugging the CMOS battery, waiting a few minutes to several hours, and plugging it back in. Why this works, I can only speculate - but I think it might be because when the motherboard logic gets into some undefined state, restoring it to factory pristine is the only way of getting back to something the design engineers understand and provided a way of remedying.

Laptop Willie Feb 23, 2009, 09:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tom Pappas said:
I don't even wait for anything to appear on the screen - because if I do, I sometimes miss the "window" where F2 is effective. I start tapping as soon as I hit the Power button.

While we're on the topic of resetting the CMOS to the BIOS defaults, it might be mentioned that there is a small class of startup problems that respond favorably to resetting by completely unplugging the CMOS battery, waiting a few minutes to several hours, and plugging it back in. Why this works, I can only speculate - but I think it might be because when the motherboard logic gets into some undefined state, restoring it to factory pristine is the only way of getting back to something the design engineers understand and provided a way of remedying.

If you chose to disconnect the cmos battery, I would advise shorting the posts at the motherboard. This will dump any stored voltage. This should completely reset the BIOS. AS to bringing it back to starting point, the default settings are hard wired in to the BIOS while changes are not and require the battery to hold them. Good luck to one and all.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Plamen Paskov Feb 26, 2009, 04:39am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have Sony Vaio laptop (model VGN-B3V) since 3 years. Everything was OK with it until a couple weeks ago when the common “Vaio” problem has appeared – the laptop wont boot. The power, battery and wireless LEDs are on, the HD and DVD start (at least try), but nothing happens – dark screen. I have brought the laptop to a local workshop and the guy there told me that there is a memory problem and the only solution is to replace the motherboard because this Vaio model has non-removable 512 MB on the motherboard. In fact he succeeded to get some sound and Vaio logo on the screen with additional 512 MB in the only available memory slot but Windows does not start and nothing can be done to reconfigured the memory. The new motherboard (if you can find one for this model) cost almost as a new laptop and replacing it is obviously not a good solution in terms of price. I haven’t contacted Sony because the laptop is out of warranty and there is no real representative office here (I am in Sweden). Sending the laptop for repairing in Sony Europe office (or somewhere else) will cost even more, I think.

I am just wondering if someone have experience with this model (it seem to be not the case as I checked the post in this forum) and if there is a cheaper solution to fix it. It is very pity just to put the laptop in the trash.

I have come to a creasy idea to remove the standard built-in 512 MB from the motherboard and to put a new one on the memory socket, but I am not sure if it will work.

Any ideas?

Laptop Willie Feb 26, 2009, 09:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Plamen Paskov said:
I have Sony Vaio laptop (model VGN-B3V) since 3 years. Everything was OK with it until a couple weeks ago when the common “Vaio” problem has appeared – the laptop wont boot. The power, battery and wireless LEDs are on, the HD and DVD start (at least try), but nothing happens – dark screen. I have brought the laptop to a local workshop and the guy there told me that there is a memory problem and the only solution is to replace the motherboard because this Vaio model has non-removable 512 MB on the motherboard. In fact he succeeded to get some sound and Vaio logo on the screen with additional 512 MB in the only available memory slot but Windows does not start and nothing can be done to reconfigured the memory. The new motherboard (if you can find one for this model) cost almost as a new laptop and replacing it is obviously not a good solution in terms of price. I haven’t contacted Sony because the laptop is out of warranty and there is no real representative office here (I am in Sweden). Sending the laptop for repairing in Sony Europe office (or somewhere else) will cost even more, I think.

I am just wondering if someone have experience with this model (it seem to be not the case as I checked the post in this forum) and if there is a cheaper solution to fix it. It is very pity just to put the laptop in the trash.

I have come to a creasy idea to remove the standard built-in 512 MB from the motherboard and to put a new one on the memory socket, but I am not sure if it will work.

Any ideas?

It would appear that "Your friend" either doesn't know anything about your laptop or he is trying to make money from you. Most laptops don't have built in memory any more. This laptop has two memory slots. One on the bottom where you can change, and one just under the keyboard. Placing this memory there can cause some problems in that you may loosen the memory card from the slot by just typing on the keyboard. It is a simple matter to remove and replace this memory, but most people think it is not a user replacement part. If you want more information on this model,

Try:

http://home.comcast.net/~nw_systems/vgnB.pdf

This is the address for the manual on your model.

Laptop Willie
Plamen Paskov Feb 26, 2009, 11:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Laptop Willie,

I will try to look inside the laptop my self. But on the support page of Sony Vaio it is written that 512 MB memory is fixed and there is only 1 free slot.

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/tutorials/memory/memory.asp?sit...amp;m=1921

So I am realy confused.

Plamen

Allan Kostyk Feb 26, 2009, 11:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think what he is trying to tell you, your ram memory is in that one slot.

S. Johns Feb 26, 2009, 04:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dennis,
Where did you get your replacement cablesets for the Power Regulator board and the Power button. I got this GRX560 laptop, no memory, no memory cover, no HDD or carrier for it... and no battery from a 'friend' that said it worked 1 month and quit.

I opened it up and very carefully started checking everything - hoping to get it working and give as present to my wife. What I found was all Power Sw and Regulator board flat-cable connector contact fingers broken off and probably still stuck in their connector slots, and massive acid-damage to the power board. Traces and legs of ICs and SMD eaten away. I kept digging and on the bottom of case I found copper-colored stains and knew what happened. - Coca Cola and Laptops do not mix!

I spent money on a P/S (19v//3.2a) and replacement power regulator board so far and need to get these bad cables too. I also need a HDD Carrier, memory and the memory compartment cover if anyone has these (USA mailing address/Paypal)

Please help if you will by giving me some sources to try. :blush:
Thanks!

Laptop Willie Feb 26, 2009, 04:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You might find this link to be faster.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-VAIO-LAPTOP-PCG-8C3L-PCG-GRX560_W0QQi...7C294%3A50

Give it a try. You may come out cheaper.

Laptop Willie
M Riad Feb 26, 2009, 07:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi S. John,
I have most of the parts of the GRX. Please take a picture of what you are looking for and send it to me by e-mail and I will let you know if I have it. Sorry I couldn't decifer what you are looking for exactly. As to the cables, I think you will find them on eBay.
e-mail is riad@rogers.com

M Riad Feb 26, 2009, 08:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Plamen,
I don't know if this guy checked your laptop or just looked at it and said you have a memory slot problem. My information on the VGN models and I had one before is not the memory slot but rather the video chip and the power connection to the board.
If your laptop started to show the Vaio logo and then turned off is because of some solder that is not connect properly and disconnected as soon as heat expanded the board. Most probably it will turn on again when it is cold and dies as soon as it warms up. you can go back few pages and check some of the posts on the VGN. Don't confuse the VGN with the common GRX and GRS models which are known to have the memory slot issue. Even the GRZ doesn't have this problem.
You can always check if it is a memory issue by pressing on the built in memory (not the removable one). Just gently hold the memory firmly to the board and push the start button. If you get picture, it is this part that require re-soldering. Having said that, in my opinion, built in memory seldomly fails because it has no movement but again, I can be wrong.
I hope you find this helpful and good luck.
Mike

Plamen Paskov Feb 27, 2009, 07:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments. Actually, the conclusion that there is a memory problem comes from the following check: When the laptop is with the original (fixed) 512 MB it cannot be boot - dark screen. When I put additional 512 MB on the slot, the Vaio logo appears and the Windows trys to start. In few second it stop, a message that WINDOWS/system32/config/system file is corrupted appears, and ask for Windows set-up disk for a recovery. In fact I can star recovery simply by pressing F10. However I am not sure if I repair or re-install the Windows XP I will solve the problem. Anyway I will make a full back-up of the HD and maybe will try recovering of the system to its original (factory) state.

Plamen

jason adlard Mar 02, 2009, 05:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,
Firstly I wanted to thank you guys, a friend gave me his old GRV616g which he said had problems seeing half of the memory sometimes, when it arrived it would only see one all the time, so I bought a pair of 512mb's me thinking one of the chips was flaky but as you all know it wasnt so I figured I could live with 512. a few weeks later the second socket went down and the box would only boot sometimes, so I grit my teeth bought some of the thinest solder you have ever seen and resolderd both sockets. Low and behold it works and has done now for 2 months thanks to you guys, thankyou.

Now the question, can I upgrade the cpu in the GRV616? and if so what can I take it up to?

many thanks
Jay

M Riad Mar 02, 2009, 07:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jason,
Congrats. I think you need to update the bios first and then try 2.8Ghz 478 pin. You also need to consider the front side bus speed (FSB). It has to match what you have. Does it have the 2.6Ghz or lower? Pentium 4 or M? Also make sure that the CPU base says 478 pin or it will not work. Some CPU base says 479 pin.
Here is an Intel site to seach the specs of your CPU. Enter the number and it will tell you everything on this CPU.
http://processorfinder.intel.com/
Good luck.
Mike

Garman Low Mar 08, 2009, 10:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
less than a week old VGNFW180D (Canada model, very similar to American FW180E)

-boots as far as VAIO screen, sometimes black screen only, then hangs. Fans can be heard coming on, no HD or Optical drive activity.

-usually will boot on second or third attempt

-tends to do this when cool (hasn't run for 8h or more). Doesn't happen if warm.

-all Vista diagnostics passed

philtec Mar 09, 2009, 08:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You say that it is less than a week old?
Unless you got it at circuit city, RETURN it to the place you bought it.

Garman Low Mar 12, 2009, 06:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Notebook is now 5000+ kms from point of purchase. Suggestion in thread was followed - disconnected battery and all peripherals, reconnected. So far so good since then.

Jen Lambert Mar 19, 2009, 09:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 19, 2009, 09:46pm EDT

I have a problem and am getting super annoyed with this laptop! I have a Sony Viao and went I turn it on the'VAIO" symbol comes on and holds for about 3 seconds... Then goes to black screen with a white flashing underscore in the top left hand corner. WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?!?! Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao

M Riad Mar 19, 2009, 11:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jen,
You either have a USB flash drive attached to one of the USB outlets or the hard drive is not reading.
Remove any USB drives before you start and it will start normal. If this is not the case do you see the hard drive light blinking when you start the laptop?
Mike

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.