Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1137 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:43pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Jim L Mar 11, 2004, 01:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Shante,

Somewhat agree about the warranty thing, but there is also a concept called a "latent defect". I'm no lawyer, but I don't think that there's a statute of limitations on latent defects. A few years ago, Toshiba had a problem with a floppy disk controller chip in its laptops, and there was a class action suit on that. I just happened to have one of the affected laptops, and I was included in the class, even though the warranty was way passed.

Sony seems to be handling this whole situation rather strangely. There was another thing going on a couple of years ago, with capacitors on motherboards that were poorly designed (long story). Many of the motherboard makers ignored the problem, but one manufacturer (Abit) admitted to it, and has been servicing even out-of-warranty boards. I think that this kind of honesty goes a lot farther than them "sticking their heads in the sand" and pretending that the problem doesn't exist (or are WE all just stupid whiners :)?).

Just my opinions...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
James Crowley Mar 11, 2004, 08:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Here are the upgrades some people might need hope it helps
http://ciscdb.sel.sony.com/cgi-bin/swu-index.pl
this is for the sony vaio pcg fx150
hope it helps
I am begginning to hate sony I cant even get a email address to send my complaints isnt that convenient
good luck fellow piece of crap owners
JIM

Zixin Shen Mar 12, 2004, 12:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Another unhappy vaio user.
My Vaio FX505 was dead about 4 months ago. Similar problems to the others discussed in this forum. But it is dead more completely. No fan turning sound. No monitor image at all. The power light only blinks for a second then disappears. It has been sent to the dealer who gave 2 year warranty although Sony only gave one year. I was told by the dealer that it is the problem with the power supply units on the mainboard. He had to send it to Sony service center for repair. I am looking forward to further information. One thing is for sure after my calling to Sony that they do not want to be responsible for this kind of problem.
From this site I do not feel lonely again. I would like to let others know about these complaints about vaio notebooks. I will support any actions against SONY.

Ian Jackson Mar 14, 2004, 06:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Guys,

Yet another upset Vaio owner.

I've had both memory slots filled on my GRX316mp for over a year with no problems, however on Friday evening the laptop froze.
On reboot the system displayed all the symptoms described here.
Luckily I remembered reading about the memory slot problem, removed the second chip and hey presto..... everything ok.

Tried various permutations of the memory in the slots and came to the conclusion that it is the slot and not the memory

I'll be contacting Sony on Monday morning, but reading throught the posts here, I really don't hold out much hope of a resolution.

James Crowley Mar 14, 2004, 07:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well remember we have a on going suite going against sony so read through post and you will see the web address posted good luck .
Jim

jatin minocha Mar 14, 2004, 01:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
add me to the list. i have a vaio grx-500. few months ago half of my memory suddenly vanished... luckly till now i did not have a boot up problem... i had signed up for class action and petition long time ago. i have kept an eye on this forum for a while... i just hope something comes up... i dont know if it is related to the momory slot thing but since i have had the memory problem, whenever my computer heats up the screen pixels go crazy (basically whenever i try to play a game or watch a movie).

Steven Proe Mar 15, 2004, 01:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Folks: I have a PCG-GRX700P, 16.1 , 100 mgs ram 60 gig harddrive. guess what?

I too have experianced a shut down with a Memory dump. That has now stopped and the computer barely runs for any time at all.

I have found that if you put it the laptop in the freezer for a few minutes you can get it to run and get your data off the harddrive, (tedious at best). No rime or reason to length of time that it will run. When the machine does boot the fan only spins a few times and quits, then does not start again as best as I can tell.

I think that the laptop also flexes alot and may be a contributing cause of our problems again this is a Sony design issue, to much flex will cause most of the problems which we have.

you may contact me at trails@d-web.com for any info. p/s I used a external drive to get my data off the Sony.
Thx to all for writting and again I support any action to remedy these problems.
Steven

Steven Proe Mar 15, 2004, 02:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Folks: after reading all of the post last even ing and today. I called Barry : I think my friend Barry at Sony Electronics National Customer
Relations would enjoy hearing from you all about just how widespread this
problem IS. Give him call at (XXX) XXX-XXXX, M-F 8AM-4:45 PM EST?. Enjoy!

This is not a valid phone # please do not call, as the gettleman that answered stated that numerous people continue to call his number. Yes I verified the number with this man.
Please do not try to call this man.

The person that posted this phone #, may wish to check their records and provide a corrected # for Barry.
Thx.
Steven

Note: Phone number removed by moderators at the request.

Robert Bridges Mar 16, 2004, 10:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
I'm quite new to laptop building, although I do have much experience with building desktop machines.
I have a Sony Vaio FX503 laptop, which I am currently building. I now have all of the parts which I require put together, but for the hard drive caddy and connector cable. My question is, do you actually need the hard drive connected up to the laptop, in order for the laptop to post. Or would the laptop post without a hard drive connected, just like a standard desktop pc would.

Any help would be helpful.

From
Tim (t_skrzypiec@hotmail.com)

Tom Hadfield Mar 17, 2004, 01:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm intrigued by this thread. I was experiencing simliar problems with my Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ660 not powering up. The green LCD light and the fan would come on, but the Sony logo did not appear on the screen. Finally, I stumbled across this thread via Google.

I have a slight variation of the problem reported in this thread. Both memory slots appear to be broken. The recommended fix (taking out the second 256mb chip) did not solve the problem. The computer will only start when I apply pressure to the remaining 256mb chip during power-on. I assume the quick-fixes mentioned above will work (business card, elastic band, etc), but for the last couple of weeks I have been pushing the memory chip down with my figure until the Sony logo appears.

My warranty expires in April, so I finally got round to calling Sony Customer Support. After getting through their frustrating automated system, I finally spoke to a customer support representative, who sounded bored as hell. He took down details of my problem, agreed that my laptop needs servicing, gave me an Event ID and then escalated the problem to someone who could give me a Work Order number.

The next conversation was much more interesting. The representative told me that Sony had never come across this problem and if they had it would be in their system. He was very curious about this thread, and so I gave him the URL. I assume, or rather hope, that someone from Sony will read this forum in the next few days.

I think some posters in this forum may have different problems. Perhaps someone could draft a collective letter of complaint, that clearly specifies the problem in more technical terms than I could manage, to which we could all attach our names and addresses.

Meanwhile, I am currently in the UK and I'm not too kean on posting my laptop for servicing in the US. Is anyone aware of a service company in the UK that could fix my laptop for a reasonable price?

Many thanks,
Tom.

Kate Hindle Mar 17, 2004, 04:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tom

Have you tried the Sony Vaio link in the UK? I am not whether you could get your US laptop repaired by the European repair centre but if your laptop is still under warranty I would get try and get Sony to fix it. They will send you a courier box and ship your laptop to the repair centre in Belguim where mine currently is. Once the laptop has been collected from you they are very quick to send you a diagnostic report.

Kate

Daniel Persson Mar 17, 2004, 01:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oh, I have a Sony PCG-GRZ630 which is bought during a trip to the US. I live in Sweden. It was bought in may 03, so I assume my 12 months warranty still is valid, although product registration didn't work since I have a non-US address.
Well it started with the notebook just froze, within 10 minutes of power on. So I send it to serive (not Sony) which cost me 300$ (all they did was cleaning the "cooling system"). After that it was fine a while. But now it has started to freeze again and today it wouldn't boot. I'm afraid the CPU is damaged or else non of my RAM is working, tried the push-fix.

Is there any chance that Sony will fix my notebook, I mean this problem is so widespread! I think I will contact a consumer agent about it.

Best wishes
Daniel

James Crowley Mar 17, 2004, 04:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well folk's got some good news after removing a stick of 128 ram i had added and it booted up great i then did all the upgrades(I installed win xp pro) and the hardware and bios upgrades did a couple of cold boots then added memory back and so far after about twenty boots not a problem . I think what happened which I did notice is when the memmory gtt's hot which it does to the touch on outside of the case it expands contracts and it can or did come loose causeing a bad connection. I really think the way the memmory slots are is bad design to have the connection just lay against the memmory chip I think is a problem waiting to happen.
Thanks
Jim
(Original poster)

Daniel Persson Mar 17, 2004, 04:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yep, I got 2x 256 MB but removing one or switching or whatever doesn't work... I can't belive I lost all my money I spend on this POS... then I will kill my self!

Daniel Persson Mar 17, 2004, 05:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sometimes the notebook just won't boot... the green power led is on but the HDD never comes on, and the screen is black. Some other times it will start doing so but after a while the power led starts blinking green and the battery no 1 led also. Somebody who knows what that indicates? And sometimes it just shuts off and remains completely dead in half an hour or so....

Justin Matthews Mar 20, 2004, 01:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello again. I of course have had the same problems as on here, I have posted those before but now I have a nice yellow line running down my lcd screen just to the right of center. I cant seem to get rid of it, it loos like it is something with the lcd itself. Is this just another in a long line of crap that I paid way too much for??? is anyone else having this problem?

--Justin

Dominik Drzewiecki Mar 23, 2004, 07:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've purchased my PCG-GRS700 Vaio in the USA about 13 months ago, now I'm back in Poland and my warranty period is over. I started experiencing the very same problem a week or two ago.

Thou, the symptoms are slightly different. Having WinXP Pro installed, it passes the bootloader loading and hangs on the win xp initial screen showing it infinitely (until I finally turn it off or a BSOD occurs, which is about 5-10 minutes after the start) and keeping the hard disk spinning and its heads moving around making funny noises. However, after an hour or so of desperate rebooting, it finally *STARTS*. From this time on, any subsequent restarts are successfull, until I leave it off for longer. The next day the whole one-hour-long-restarting-ritual reoccurs. Conclusion - it works fine when it's warm???

I was able to perform thorough tests of the HD and the memory. They are both fine. I'havent tried the workorounds/tricks posted to this forum yet, but surely will as soon as I get back home.

I haven't seen any GRS series related complaints on this forum, how bizzare? Am I the only one, or might this be some other problem. Is there anybody on this forum to confirm, that the FX and GX series are equipped with the same/similar motherboard types? As soon as I'm assured this is an infamous soldering issue, I will sign the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/sonymem1/petition.html

another UNsatisfied customer,
Dominik Drzewiecki

Heather Warner Mar 26, 2004, 12:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Do any of you guys have a suggestion installing the version of XP which came on my now dead laptop onto a new pc? The code doesn't work for some reason and Sony never sent me an install disk. To ice the cake, Microsoft won't help me and Sony is now trying to charge me $19.95 for a support call since I've already used my one free gripe call.

I have an XP disk, it's just the code that won't go.

Steven Proe Mar 26, 2004, 09:51am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi" You may need to purchase the recovery disks from "SONY", They will cost about $20.00. + shipping. Also if you have changed or updated the Bios. you may need to have the bios repaired.Read prior post's.

HTH steven

Steven Proe Mar 26, 2004, 10:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a PCG-GRX700P, it appears that the ATI video chip "Radeon 7500 Mobality chip also has the infomas Sony soldiering problem. I had mine checked"not by Sony" they cheched the harddrive , memory ect. all were OK. They tried putting pressure on the "7500 Video chip", this allowed the computer to boot and be used with the game "Halo". When the pressure on the chip is released, all types of video problems occur, mouse freezes, all types of images and lines on the video screen"16.1", ending in a crash.
Hope this helps,

Summary: The ATI chip is also not soldered correctly.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.