Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1126 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:42pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Ioannis Ntentopoulos Sep 25, 2009, 08:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Mike, thank u for ur reply.
I cleaned, the memory module (the pins, not the whole memory module :) ) with alcohol and also the pins and connection on the battery.

to be honest, i was surprised, when i hit the ON button, the laptop started, and the battery started to charge !!!! it took almost 3 hours for the 7200mA battery to get to 100% but, im running right now the laptop for 4 hours and still have over 2 hours left (on battery) !!!!!

only thing is, it froze a couple of time for no reason, but hitting the power button again, it started without any problems.

only thing i have to mention is, when i hit 2day morning the road to get to work, i placed the laptop in my laptop bag. after arriving at work, tried to get it on, nothing happened, put the memory out, cleaned with a tissue, plugged the memory back in, and the laptop started :)

so my question is, can it be a problem with the RAM module or even the thing that holds the RAM ???

thank u in advance

Jan

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
M Riad Sep 25, 2009, 06:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ioannis,
This excellent news. Ok you know better than me that in Greece everybody leaves their windows open because it is hot out there. So dust is not uncommon and you usually dust the house sometimes few times a day. You stored your laptop for a couple of years so dust must have eached inthere. Your laptop has no problem. It is only dirty from dust. Enough unplugging the memory and invest in an air compressed can and spray everywhere you can reach. Make sure you do this while the battery is unplugged and no AC power is connected. As to the lak of poweron after the car ride. My assuption is you did not install the memory fully and it poped out with the vibration in the car. Just re-instal the memory properly after you blow compressed air in the slot and you will be fine. Make sure to let the air dryout because compressed air turns into liquid under pressure.
Good Luck,
Mike

Billy Lo Sep 27, 2009, 08:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi fellas.. i have a VGN-FZ430E laptop. I didn't have a problem with my laptop until just the other day when I noticed there was some lagging happening while I was browsing online, and so I decided to restart it, and haven't been able to boot my laptop back up since. After the Vaio Logo, just goes right into a black screen. I've read through about the memory slot and the video card issues, but I can't find a solution to even boot up anything. No safe boot, no recovery, and what's sad is even now, my computer is telling me that it can't find my winload.exe file to boot. But regardless, I was reading on another article about using Unbuntu to try and get some files off my harddrive, but I used the mem test on Unbuntu and found out that i'm getting errors all over the place with my memory. I've had this laptop not long at all, but long enough to be out of my warranty now, and this is really starting to get really frustrating. I've also tried using Spotmau powersuite, because at first I thought that it was just my OS that messed up. Well anyways, I'm lost. I can hear the harddrive spinning, but it doesnt seem to be reading or booting off of it anymore. and with Spotmau, I've been able to get a little bit of some important stuff back, but what do i do? Could it be that my memory slots or memory sticks are bad?

any help would greatly be appreciated.

Billy Lo Sep 28, 2009, 08:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
im really starting to think my MB or CPU is fried...

Chris Tinker Oct 04, 2009, 12:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm currently using my VGN-FS500b, and haven't shut it off for days because of this problem..

I have NO memory problem, either bank, and it is not an overheating problem (or it wouldn't have stayed on this long for as many times as it has.)

When I shut it down.... It WILL come back on, but often to the VAIO screen or to just POST lights until;
-I press down on the bottom left hand corner while holding the laptop level, at the same time pulling up slightly on the upper left corner.

I have found that this tends to get me past even the frozen VAIO screen. The laptop just "remembers" that it was booting and goes on doing what it is supposed to be doing. This even works when it hangs on POST. It's a pain in the butt to do every startup, even though the computer will make it in to windows and then often has NO problems once there.

I have taken this computer apart from top to bottom and now can reassemble it faster than any military man can reassemble a gun from individual pieces. I have found a possible source of what I have come to believe must be a short in the board. It is underneath the board, where the bottom "X" stablizer part of the CPU heatsink is located. One of the screwholes for the screw that holds the keyboard in place passes very near to the stablizer and actually comes in contact with it if the heatsink is screwed in too tightly. Covering this erronious contact with electrical tape placed on the board (you'll have to gently push the heatsink stablizer bracket through the motherboard so you can tape the place where it contacts the board) solved my problem almost completely until the tape melted from heat. I am waiting for my non-conductive kaptan tape from dealextreme, but they take a while to send some things, it appears....

Could this be the short that Joe K was mentioning in the FS series????

philtec Oct 04, 2009, 03:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Get some thick teflon tape to cure your melting problem

Joe K Oct 05, 2009, 10:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HI Chris,

Yes, the well known VGN-FS boot issue will produce a VAIO logo and halt there or not produce ANY video and keep the 3 LEDs next to the power button lit.

There is damage under the S Bridge BGA chip. The chip needs to be removed, and the damaged traces need to be Micro welded and the BGA chip needs to be re-mounted to the board.

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution.

I've repaired probably well over a 100 units with this problem. The more you flex and apply any pressure on the board or case the more damage you're doing to the problem area and possibly other areas of the board.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
SEBASTIEN GEROME Oct 06, 2009, 10:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 06, 2009, 10:42am EDT

Joe K said:
HI Chris,

Yes, the well known VGN-FS boot issue will produce a VAIO logo and halt there or not produce ANY video and keep the 3 LEDs next to the power button lit.

There is damage under the S Bridge BGA chip. The chip needs to be removed, and the damaged traces need to be Micro welded and the BGA chip needs to be re-mounted to the board.

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution.

I've repaired probably well over a 100 units with this problem. The more you flex and apply any pressure on the board or case the more damage you're doing to the problem area and possibly other areas of the board.

Hi,
bga need rework ??Is it the intel bga ?
thanks

Robert Wharton Oct 07, 2009, 03:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I can't believe this website is still going. I was ranting over three years ago about my VGN-FS660 laptop, which I bought in 2005 crashing. At that time, Sony replaced the motherboard TWICE and for some reason that seemed to do the trick.
Well, it's finally gone out again. Lights come on showing power and battery. The three lights on the top right hand side of the board are all on. Nothing is blinking and I hear it boot up but nothing happens on screen. F8 produces nothing. I don't even have the VAio symbol come up and cut off.
Can I safely assume the motherboard has bone out again? I'm quite sure Sony won't replace it this time but even though the machine looks and otherwise seemed to work fine. Unless somebody has another diagnosis which I can send for repair or try myself I guess I'll just trash it this time.

I don't think I'll buy another sony laptop. The cheaper laptops that others in my family bought about the same time seem to be working without all of this hassle.

Asa Marokus Oct 21, 2009, 08:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, I have the same problem as you mentioned, i.e., my laptop will go to battery power unless the cord is in the exact position. Did you have any luck?

Thanks!

Meats_Of_Evil Oct 21, 2009, 10:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i don't know if this has been posted before since I haven't really read any of the previous post but... have you tried using the laptop without the battery attached? Just plugged in by the power cord? It has work before on a friends Sony Vaio where he could hear the computer running but not get any response from it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
Lalit Kumar Nov 12, 2009, 02:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 12, 2009, 02:41pm EST

Hi Allan,

I have the same problem with my FZ11S. Were you able to fix your laptop in the end. Could you please let me know what was the fault and how you fixed it?

Lalit

Blake Bockhold Nov 15, 2009, 06:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

I have a VGN-FS640/W which I bought a little over four years ago. Until yesterday the computer seemed to be working fine, but this morning I have been unable to boot it up. I am not very tech savvy, but here is my best explanation of the problem:

-When I power the machine on, everything seems normal; the 3 lights at the top right corner of the keyboard turn on, and all the lights at the bottom right corner of the keyboard are functioning as well.
-The VAIO screen pops up, per usual.
-I then get a black screen notifying me that Windows was incorrectly shut down. I am allowed to choose between 5 options on how I would like to restart the computer: 'Safe Mode', 'Safe Mode with networking', 'Safe Mode with command prompt', 'Last Known Good Configuration', or 'Start Windows normally'.
-No matter which option I choose, the computer first shows the 'Windows XP' screen that comes up when Windows is loading (for roughly one minute), then the screen goes black for about 15 seconds, then it brings up the VAIO screen once again and brings me back to the same black screen with the aforementioned prompt...unless I power down the machine, it is a never-ending cycle.
-Also, when I attempt to restart using the 'last known good configuration', A blue screen pops up (after the black screen and before the VAIO screen in the previous description) for only one second at most. It is difficult to read, but I think it is this message:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

...It also says something about dumping physical memory...but again, the screen is only up for a split second so it is difficult to read. Just to reiterate, this blue screen is only visible when I use the 'last known good configuration' option...When I try to restart normally, it goes through the usual steps I've mentioned without showing a blue screen at all.

Thank you in advance for any answers you may have. Like I've said before, I'm not tech savvy and would definitely appreciate it if any answers were dumbed down....unfortunately, computers are not my area of expertise!

Blake

M Riad Nov 15, 2009, 11:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Blake,
This seems to be a software issue. Re-install or repair the windows boot sector using the CD and you should be fine.
Mike

Blake Bockhold Nov 15, 2009, 12:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you for your reply, Mike.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the CD that came with the computer. Is there any other way I can resolve this problem (i.e. download the files that come on the CD from somewhere on the web)? My roommate has the identical computer, but is also without the CD...are the files from the CD on his computer perhaps?

M Riad Nov 15, 2009, 12:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think you have a virus that corrupted your operating system. That is why I say re-install or repair. You will need the Windows XP fresh installation CD to fix it not the Sony CDs.
Good Luck,
Mike

Blake Bockhold Nov 15, 2009, 02:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I hate to sound like a broken record but again, I no longer have any of the CD's associated with my laptop...VAIO, XP or otherwise. I moved a few times during my time at University, and I'm afraid I was careless and misplaced most of the things that came with the computer when I bought it.

Is my computer a lost cause, or can I get a new copy of XP and repair or re-install the software per your advice? Again, thank you so much for your help.

Adam Bielecki Dec 05, 2009, 03:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got Sony Vaio VGN-FE41M with Motherboard MBX-149 and Nvidia Geforce 7400.
The problem is when I am switching on the laptop it gives me 3 beeps(2 shorts after 1 long) the screen is blank and nothing happening. I did some research and most people think its video card. However few days ago I dissemble Vaio and i placed some thermal paste on chips, it was working for few days but now I got the same problem and thermal paste solution not work anymore. Can anyone tell me what might be the cause and solution for this problem? I think I will have to get new motherboard from China, but hopefully its not the last resort.

Bart Putnam Dec 19, 2009, 04:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 19, 2009, 04:49pm EST

I have Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ630. Does anyone know if there is a new BIOS for this machine. I'd like to flash the BIOS to see if I could put more memory in. Currently limited to 1GB.

Thanks,

Bart Putnam

philtec Dec 19, 2009, 06:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.