Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 743 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:32am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Raymond M Feb 13, 2010, 05:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Saturday night is screwed by a laptop >:o

VPCF11Z1E i7 with 8Gb.

I was copying a fiel of my external USB drive. Unfortunately I forgot to put it on power, so I guess it went into hibernate. now I am not able to boot it again. Tried all the tricks from remove the battery and push the power button for 20seconds etc. Al suggestion I could find. I will not remove the memory as suggested in other site because it's still under warranty since it is only 3 weeks old.

I am pretty sick of it because it was not a cheap one and I need it for my own business.......

So will return it to the shop on Monday........

HELPPPPPP......

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Shawn white Feb 19, 2010, 11:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? just keps restarting
Can I save any of my data using this process?

M Riad Feb 20, 2010, 09:33am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Raymond,
You may need to update the Bios. Some of these new laptops came out with defective Bios. Check the website for bios update.
Just a thought!
Mike

john albrich Feb 20, 2010, 01:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 20, 2010, 02:11pm EST

edit:
post re-entered below so that email "reply alert" goes to Raymond if he had that enabled.

john albrich Feb 20, 2010, 02:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Shawn white said:
Can I save any of my data using this process?

Shawn, we need more info. (at least, I didn't see any other recent post from you that provides more info)

To what "process" do you refer?

EXACTLY What data are you trying to save and to where are you trying to save it?
(e.g. want to backup specific files or folders, the entire system disk, etc, and want to backup to another disk drive, another partition, DVDs, etc)

What Operating System is involved?

What is your problem? (if any)

What are the problem symptoms? (if any)

What have you tried so far? (if anything)

john albrich Feb 20, 2010, 02:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
M Riad said:
Raymond,
You may need to update the Bios....

ANY attempt to update the BIOS is likely to void/screw the warranty, esp this early in the life of a "new" laptop...even more so than re-seating memory card(s) Some manufacturers are more understanding than others. I wouldn't bet the farm on Sony being one of them.

Note: if there is no tamper-seal over the memory card cover, it is likely that re-seating the memory cards will not void the warranty, as uplifting memory capacity is generally considered a valid user procedure. However, it depends on how much risk you're willing to assume, as tamper indicators could be hidden under the cover, on the threads of any cover-retention screw(s), etc. Especially if your user manual explicitly provides a procedure for the user to replace/uplift the memory cards, then re-seating the memory cards is likely not a warranty-killing procedure.

If you do that, be sure to follow proper ESD protocols when handling an open laptop and laptop components such as memory cards.

edit to add:
However, given the problem you've described I tend to believe the problem is not memory related at this time. Plus, you can also test your system and memory using a program like memtest on a self-booting media. Check out freeware UBCD. Contains system and memory diagnostic programs. If it passes memtest then memory seating is not an issue, and running the memory tests will not void your warranty.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

edit:
post moved so email "reply alert" goes to Raymond if he had that enabled.

Gui Guilo Feb 23, 2010, 06:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

I'm just here to tell you my story, it could help others.

Although this topic has been started in 2003, it seems that Sony still have problems with their memory slots. I've got a VGN-FZ38M and have spilled water on it. And it didn't work anymore. OK, it's my fault. So I sent it back to Sony who repaired it for 530. They have replaced 16 pieces (RAM and motherboard have been changed).

Now, my computer randomly freezes or refuses to boot (black screen). The only solution is to open the memory cover and remove then replace the memory. Doing some tests I have identified that it is a slot problem and not a ram problem.

On a nearly new computer(in fact, only HDD and screen are unchanged) and after paying 530 it's a shame it can't work correctly

Has Sony ever communicated about this problem ?

philtec Feb 23, 2010, 06:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
sony was sued in a class action lawsuit and LOST

Lalit Kumar Feb 23, 2010, 08:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 23, 2010, 08:37am EST

Gui Guilo said:
Hello,

I'm just here to tell you my story, it could help others.

Although this topic has been started in 2003, it seems that Sony still have problems with their memory slots. I've got a VGN-FZ38M and have spilled water on it. And it didn't work anymore. OK, it's my fault. So I sent it back to Sony who repaired it for 530. They have replaced 16 pieces (RAM and motherboard have been changed).

Now, my computer randomly freezes or refuses to boot (black screen). The only solution is to open the memory cover and remove then replace the memory. Doing some tests I have identified that it is a slot problem and not a ram problem.

On a nearly new computer(in fact, only HDD and screen are unchanged) and after paying 530 it's a shame it can't work correctly

Has Sony ever communicated about this problem ?

Similar story here. Sony Service centre are thieves.

I sent my FZ11S because my screen went blank. Few days later they emailed me saying that the Hard Disk and the Screen inverter has failed and it will cost 540+ to repair the laptop. Despite numerous emails about what test they have done I was told that they have tried with new Inverter and HDD and it works. Without these it does not work.

I wrote to the Managing Director of Sony Uk explaing that the laptop was just outside warranty period and their product should not fail so quickly. 4/5 weeks later I got phone call from sony that they will give me 25% discount on the repair bill.

I refused to get it repaied from sony and got the laptop back from sony and took it to the local repair shop. For 25 they tested the HDD and the inverter and found them both working fine. They said that it was the screen which was probably gone. I bought a used Lcd Screen from eBay for 40 and replaced it. The laptop is working fine NO problems at all. When I took the old screen outI found that the wires fro the Inverter to the Screen Lamps were burnt. That was the only thing wrong with the Laptop.

I have emailed sony many time to get the repair/testing log from them but they would not reveal it. Another thing I have noticed with sony repairs is that they like to talk to you on the phone but would not confirm anything by email.

So beware of what Sony repairs say. Sony should be ashamed of their Service. I would never buy Sony again and would not recommend any one esle to buy Sony. So far I have pesuaded 3 of my friends not to buy sony.

Do a google search for Compaints about Sony repairs and see how many dissatisfied Sony laptop owners are there who feel cheated by sony repairs.

Joe K Feb 24, 2010, 03:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone,

Yes, the Vaio GRX classaction lawsuit has been settled. Please see:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?news_id=355&template_id=1

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Abuzer ozer Mar 11, 2010, 06:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello, I have recently purchased a Sony Vaio VCPF1190X. It's been only 4 weeks. Yesterday after leaving my laptop at sleep mode for couple hours, when I tried to boot it all I got was blank LCD and noise coming from the fan with the green power led. I called the esupport line and they asked me to go through the process indicated in their website but the result was another disappointment. Now they want me to ship my laptop to them. After making a little research on internet, I found out that it is a really common problem for Vaio's. I was wondering what could be the main cause of this problem. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Mridul Shrimali Mar 30, 2010, 07:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN FZ440E laptop around 18 months old. The laptop has suddenly stopped booting, when i press power button with/without battery/adapter supply, the power light goes On, the harddrive light goes On for few second, I could hear the fan and harddrive going on, then the laptop gives 1 long and 2 short beeps and just dies. Nothing happens afterward not VAIO boot screen or anything.

I did tried reseating memory but nothing happens. I am wondering what could be the problem and where to get it fixed? Any suggestions would be greatly helpful.

Thanks

Laptop Willie Apr 02, 2010, 09:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sony and many other makers have experienced problems with not booting as you have described. The main fault lies with the video chip on the video card or main board. In most cases the motherboard is replaced. There are shops the will rework the video card/motherboard, but expect to pay a high price for this service. Although it shouldn't be as high as replacing the Sony.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Jovan Jovanovic Apr 03, 2010, 09:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,
I got one dead GRX550. When I press power up only led light are one.

I dismantle it and take some close up pictures of memory slots:
http://www.gundjanje.com/vaio
Can you please, tell me does it look like to be cause of malfunction and will resoldering help?
Do I need to resolder only 1.st slot or both?
Front and back of slot, or only front, or only back?

Should I also go for resoldering bga graphic chip or it's not common fault for grx550?

Laptop Willie Apr 03, 2010, 05:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 03, 2010, 05:31pm EDT

I don't recommend doing any soldering at all unless you are a very experienced doing this type of work. You should have the skills to do re-flowing of surface mount components. This is not something everyone can or should attempt.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Jovan Jovanovic Apr 03, 2010, 07:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 03, 2010, 07:44pm EDT

Motherboard is alredy dead so I don't have much to loose. I have friend who is very experienced with fine soldering.

I would like first to someone confirm that pics (I posted) of memory slots of vaio mohterboard looks like primary suspect for malfunction?

M Riad Apr 03, 2010, 09:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jovan,
First these are very good pictures and I think we all commend you for taking them with such precision.
Laptop Willie's advice is correct and this forum is do it at your own risk approach. The motherboard is most likely still reparable and if you try and doesn't work, it is highly unlikely a repair shop will take it for repairs. Having said that, your laptop is showing the same signs as the memory slot issue and it is likely the memory solders.

While your pictures are very good, I don't think anyone will be able to say which pin needs to be soldered because, it will never be detected by the naked eye. You will need magnification at least 20 times and still be guessing.
There is a simpler way to detect the proximity of the solder failure explained back on page 92. Please read it and try it. If it works, then you will know where the soldering should start.
All the best,
Mike

Raymond M Apr 04, 2010, 09:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got a very good service from the shop where I bought it and it became a DOD and got a brand new one.....

Jovan Jovanovic Apr 04, 2010, 11:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 04, 2010, 11:50am EDT

M Riad said:

Having said that, your laptop is showing the same signs as the memory slot issue and it is likely the memory solders.
While your pictures are very good, I don't think anyone will be able to say which pin needs to be soldered because
There is a simpler way to detect the proximity of the solder failure explained back on page 92. Please read it and try it. If it works, then you will know where the soldering should start.
All the best, Mike

Hello and tnx for replay :)
With pictures I was thinking- 'does it look like something is wrong?', not - what pins are bad :)
Tnx for tips on 92 page, I readed topic only first 21 page :)

On my first picture, did I got right what is first slot, and what is 2nd? I was thinking to resolder only first slot since I have only one mem module, and I think that Mr Joe Kabalan wrote (somwhere on first 21 pages) that first slot is important?

M Riad Apr 04, 2010, 01:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jovan,
Again the pictures are nice and all but they don't say much. You need to look for an area that was not soldered flush and well centered between the board and the pin. Again the pins should have been soldered right in the middle of each opposing side on the board. It seems that the manufacture of these boards did not do a good job aligning the two together which caused the whole GRX series to malfunction with time.
There is nothing you can do to realigned all these pins again but rather look for the pin or pins that got disconnected or do not give 100% contact.

From picture 03.jpg I can see that the first 20 pins on the left are touching the board on the left only and are not centered. I think this is your problem area. Having said that, I cannot tell for sure this is your fix.

Again your best bet is to re-assemble back this laptop and try the pressure technique I explained back on December 12, 2007 page 92. You can solder while the laptop is assembled so no need to keep it apart.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.