Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 672 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:27am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Brian Batonde Apr 18, 2010, 09:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hi All,

Our Vaio laptop had the same problem (attempts to boot up, green power light on, cd noises etc but then blank screen). What I did was to open it up and remove the CMOS battery for 10 seconds and then plug it in again. ( I think thats what it is called) and et voila! It works fine with no problems.

I guess this has something to do with a dodgy BIOS so if u have similar issues give it a go. The battery is located at the top middle of the laptop underneath the keyboard.

Hope that helps.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jovan Jovanovic May 20, 2010, 06:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 20, 2010, 06:01pm EDT

Here is update:
My friend did reflow of memory slots, but flex cord for power button was already destroyed, so I was looking for another power cord to try it.
Today I found one and tried ...but nothing... only 3 lead on and computer is dead. I tried to apply pressure on different parts of memory slots but nothing.
Then I removed CMOS battery and plug back, and something is going on after press on power button: only one led is on, vga fan and cpu fan are starting to spining the after 10 sec stopped, but there is power on board - hdd and cd are spinning. Unfortunately no screen on monitor or external monitor.

I'm thinking to try to reflow bga graphic chip?

Michelle Marcos Jun 08, 2010, 07:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Solution: Remove the battery from the laptop, and leave it connected only to the wall outlet. The laptop should now power up. It worked for me.

Joe K Jun 16, 2010, 10:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 16, 2010, 10:10am EDT

Jovan,

The 3 LED's being lit is an end result of the memory slot problem with the GRX's. The solution to clear them was (as you found out) to either hit the reset button or remove the CMOS battery.

You need to clean, with Isopropyl Alcohol and a fine brush, the memory contacts of both memory slots and blow compressed air to remove any particles left behind. Also, clean with the alcohol the memory contact pins on each memory chip that you plan on using.

If, you continue to get the 3 LED's staying on solid, then you either did not create a good solder bond during your repair attempt, or you created a solder bridge between pins on either RAM connector.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Joe K Jun 16, 2010, 10:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 16, 2010, 10:15am EDT

Bart,

You cannot increase the RAM limitation with that model, not because of BIOS limitations, but because of the Memory Controller's ability to address any more RAM. It's a limitation of the memory controller chip, not the BIOS.

>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?

I have Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ630. Does anyone know if there is a new BIOS for this machine. I'd like to flash the BIOS to see if I could put more memory in. Currently limited to 1GB.

Joe Kabalan
Amy Bienko Jun 25, 2010, 01:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? Can anyone help with this one?! most appreciated for answers!
Hi,
This is the first time I've written on a forum, to be honest I was impressed at how helpful everyone seemed and the comments have me wondering.....how the hell do I fix my Sony vaio pcg-8z1m laptop computer....here's the story

Went to turn on the pc the other eve, there has been a few issues with this laptop, have had it around 3 yrs so Ive been wondering whether it was past it's sell by date?!
anyway for some reason it didn't start! much of a surprise when it sounded like it was starting up, the SONY branded lights come on under the monitor, the battery/charge light is lit as its plugged into the mains, so it has power...the 'on' light appears, the wireless light is on,

on the frame of the laptop there are 4 symbols with small lights, the first being on/off (which is lit) second being a similar looking battery (flashing) there is a small cylinder type shape, this one is always lit in normal working order, however not now! why not now I dont know, maybe someone does!!? anyway this one, comes on once when you press the on/off button. then nothing...no lights!

the screen is blank, as if its turned off, there is a loud 3 short beeps reminds me of amstrads and then again still nothing.
it doesn't start.

ive tried the following that any normal typically not great human would do....but still nothing!

taking out the battery whilst off to remove all memory of last state
turning off leaving it with everything disconnected overnight, really cooled down, plugged back in next day, into the mains, battery back in and nothing same thing happends.
vga to tv to see if it was just the monitor that wasnt working, as it sounds like the fan is going and its started up.

any ideas would be most appreciated, sorry for the waffle in between but its really the first ive got to vent my frustration.

More so the most annoying thing is, I work in IT web design, internet marketing, seo, all that palaver but I cannot even start up the laptop!
total bummer.

Thank you all in advance if you can help with this cryptic sony screw up!?

Amy
UK[b][/b]

Amy Bienko Jun 25, 2010, 02:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? Can anyone help with this one?! most appreciated for answers!
Oh and I forgot to mention, not to go on again, but I also did do the 'blowing' in every nook and cranny to try and get all dust out, like people do when their remotes don't work...have to admit the laptop does get very hot at times, I'm the worst for leaving it on for long periods of time, does this affect pc's in the long run?

also let's face it, when I got this like anything you get new, its shiny and all in working order, over time things seem to get harder in functioning the laptop or am I doing the wrong things by downloading, using codecs, can they result to a system failure.

Has anyone experienced the sony vaio pcg-8z1m failing to start up flashing at you but nothing appearing on the blank screen?!

Laptop Willie Jun 25, 2010, 03:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 25, 2010, 03:44pm EDT

Any, You said, "on the frame of the laptop there are 4 symbols with small lights, the first being on/off (which is lit) second being a similar looking battery (flashing) there is a small cylinder type shape, this one is always lit in normal working order, however not now! why not now I don't know, maybe someone does!!? "

The cylinder type shape represents your hard drive. When the computer is accessing the hard drive that light should flash, not normally stay on. So my best guess is you may have a bad hard drive. If you pull the hard drive and try to boot, you should get the splash screen and look as if it is going to boot. In other words, there should be something on the display.

Another problem Sony's have had as you may be able to tell from the 103 pages here, is the memory slots, over heating, and just plain poor design. :~ In my opinion, for what it's worth, a Sony should be replaced with a good Toshiba, HP or Panasonic.:)

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Brian Batonde Jun 25, 2010, 04:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Amy

Try the CMOS battery i mentioned above. It worked a treat for us!! Any questions just ask.

Amy Bienko Jun 26, 2010, 04:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re:Sony Vaio laptop wont boot!
Hi Guys

Thanks for the reply, was good to wake up to some kind of resolution as this has been pestering me immensly.

Think you're right in the recomendation of a Hp, I used to have a Hp laptop then the sony was its replacement, needless to say wasnt a wise move.

I will have a go at the battery CMOS option and let you know how it goes!
Thanks
A

Jovan Jovanovic Jul 01, 2010, 05:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 01, 2010, 05:19pm EDT

@Joe K

Thank you very much for your answer :)

I tried cleaning with isopropil alcohol (it take time to find it) but no success.

I'm taking laptop to friend tomorrow, for another round of re-soldering.
I think he last time only did one memory slot and one side of that slot. I will ask him now to resolder both slots and both sides (front, back).

jim robinson Jul 01, 2010, 05:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Whenever i have any hardware problems i contact <a href="http://drcellphonehouston.com/laptop-repair-service.php">Laptop Repair Houston</a> and they usually take care of all the problem.I would highly recommend u get in touch with them.

Frank Jul 13, 2010, 02:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 13, 2010, 02:28pm EDT

I have owned a Sony Vaio VGN-CS215J for about 3 to 4 years. It came off extended warranty in January of this year. (....ain't I lucky!!!)

It started shutting down (e.g., power off), [Windows Vista not to like that much]. About the end of March, it finally gave up the ghost. Black screen, cursor in the upper left corner laughing at me. I did get a boot a few brief times, but it finally crapped out during a Windows Restoration I was attempting. d e a d :(

From the sound of all of these Die Hards, Sony seems to have have ignored the problems and all of those presenting them.
New equipment, new company, same old issue, same old double-shuffle. I went this round with Gateway in the mid-90's. Now much difference.

I have this lapper that I actually really loved (past tense) it and would like to try to recover it somehow.

Is my VGN-CS215J affected?? If so, can anyone tell me if it is worth the trouble. I am pretty handy with tools and electronics...:cool: (just kiddin')

I don't mind surfin' for data if I have to.. . . .any help will be gladly appreciated!

Thanx for any help!

Frank:)
FJC

bdn horn Jul 13, 2010, 09:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
have a sony vaio vgn-sr model laptop. When i push the power on botton it lights up green and if you hold your ear to it you can hear it power up for two seconds then it goes off again. Nothing appears on screen either.
Tried removing battery and making sure the rams in

Any ideas?

Turvy Jensen Jul 15, 2010, 06:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
@ Claudia Tynes,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, thank you thank you thankyou THANK YOU! :-)

I have been looking at a Sony Vaio VGN-NS10L for the last two days, i have come across many posts on many sites, that blamed everything from the Motherboard, CMOS Battery, and water damage, to the LCD cable being faulty.. I went to every VAIO forum i could find (Official and unofficial), and found nobody that had a solution, although i did find at least 50 people that had the same problem, not one person, posted their found solution, up to now.. :D
So, i reiterate, Thank you Claudia so much, you have saved me a severe headache, well, you definitely saved my severe headache from getting worse. :-)

My problem was the same as yours, and my solution was, surprisingly ;), the same as yours. One of the RAM slots was upside down, and i removed the RAM from that slot, and it worked. :D:D

Sony do not have this information anywhere on their site (that i could find, anyway), nor do any of the forums, about this, obviously widespread problem.I hope many people find the soution here.

Claudia - :* :*

Adam Bielecki Jul 15, 2010, 06:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I put motherboard in to oven at around 145 C for 25 minutes.
This is your last resort if everything failed.
My sony got graphic card problem, so the only option was to change motherboard
or try to resolder.
Oven did the job well and it's working now.
Once again this is last resort. You might easily destroy your motherboard like that;)

philtec Aug 08, 2010, 07:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would like to give a loud shout out of thanks to Joe Kabalan at http://www.AQSTech.com for fixing the memory sockets on my GRX-560.
I have posted many times here about this defect that sony initially would not recognize.
Sony lost the class action lawsuit but probably still denies that the defect exists.
I had been running it with only one socket filled for many years after it started the no boot problem that lots of forum members have had.
Every time I would turn it on, I would have severe anxiety as it started to fail with the one slot occupied and would have to remove power and play with the reset button till it would finally boot up.
I realize that it is about 8 years old but it was still used every day.
I also have a GRT-390Z that is used every day that has never had a problem.
After 2 plus weeks of using the repaired 560 and booting every time (over 100 times) I feel that the repair was done excellently.
I highly recommend his service to everyone.
The anxiety is now gone.
THANKS !!! again to Joe Kabalan

duron duron Aug 23, 2010, 10:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
it finally happened to my PCG-GRX1P :(

it was working the other day then when i tried it again it won't boot up!
when i press the power button the 3 LED's would light up & a Thumping sound from the speakers would appear for only a second & it's always like that each time i press the power button

- i tried to replace the 512meg ram to different slots & tried a 256meg, no go
- i took out the ROM & HD & battery then just tried the AC power, still the same
- i took out everything including RAM & just the battery still nothing, i was expecting a long beep or something

any other thing I should do or is my NB a goner :( :(:(

Joe K Aug 30, 2010, 04:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Philtec, you're welcome. Good to hear all is well again.

Duron, you may not have a memory slot issue. It may be hard to try and diagnose it. The P4 mobile CPU's in those GRX's tend to fail quite often.

If it began to not boot all of a sudden, and changing the RAM configuration doesn't produce any results, you very well may have something other than the RAM slots causing your "no boot" condition.

Joe Kabalan
duron duron Aug 31, 2010, 03:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks for your input Joe K, i guess i have to open it up then :)
or bring to a repair shop near me:(

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.