Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 699 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:33am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Mike Ritacco Sep 13, 2010, 01:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hello, hopefully I can get some help with this. I haven't seen anything regarding my particular model.

I have a VAIO VGN-NS110E for about a year and a half now. It ran like a dream up until a few months ago. Currently, it does not turn on at all. If I plug it in with the battery connected, the middle orange light illuminates, but pressing the power button does nothing. If I remove the battery and keep the laptop closed, and then plug it into the wall, it does nothing (no lights). If I open the laptop then plug it in, it begins to power up on its own, flashes the VAIO screen momentarily, then audibly clicks off/shuts down.

Is there anything I can do to try to fix this? Of course its just past warranty and the Sony reps can't help me. (I also am a novice when it comes to fixing/opening computers, so walkthroughs would be appreciated)

Thanks so much!
-Mike

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Vaio Sony Sep 24, 2010, 01:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, can someone help please?

My Sony Vaio VGN-BZ560 won't boot up. When I pressed the power button it light up green for 2 second then "off". The screen would light up a little (when the power button turn green) but then went black/blank as it power down by it self.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Mark Robinson Oct 26, 2010, 01:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is my SECOND VAIO to die. I work at a PC shop and undertake SMD reworking as my job and I'm quite clued up on computers/electronics. My first was an FZ21Z which started producing green squares all down the screen (artifacting)

Took it to work & did a reflow. Worked fine for about 5-6 months then completely went (no GFX at all)

Tried to reflow again, no joy. Cost me in excess of 1400... ended up selling as faulty on eBay for 200 (sob...)
My second Vaio... oh dear... FS195. Had this laptop just over 18 months now and its dead. Powers up ok, but just end up with 3 LEDs above keyboard lit. No splash screen, no POST. I've tried memory, CPUs, booting with just the board & LCD connected (with CPU & RAM obviously) still nothing.

Tried re-flowing the chipset & Geforce GPU - still exactly the same.
I've been probing around with my meter near the CPU & I'm finding that quite a few caps round the CPU socket are earthed on both terminals - these appear to be the black tantalum caps mentioned earlier on here.
Now, I've been in this situation before at work where I've started removing parts where the suspected short is, and ended up with around 20-30 SMD parts removed and still getting a 'beep' from my meter (continuity test) on both solder connections for the caps.

I've chased input voltages around the motherboard (19.5, 5.0, 3.3, 1.8, 1.2, 0.98 etc) and all appear to be ok.

The damn thing just does not want to work. I'm suspecting a short between the PCB layers (GND and VCORE layers). Heat + pressure from the CPU bracket must slowly crush the layers over time until they start to connect.

I've seen many laptops with the same problems...

HP/Compaq (DV6000 series)
Sony Vaio (FS, FZ, GRX, etc)
Acer
only a handful of Toshibas

The only REAL way to fix the problem is by replacing the motherboard. 100 for a new board is beyond belief considering most places/people will offer you little over 100 pound for a 2nd user laptop anyway.

BUT... since I'm here and I've spent the time to 1) sign up 2) write all this - then I'll share my knowledge on laptop mainboard repairs (from experience)

YOU WILL NEED A MULTIMETER - ESSENTIAL EQUIPMENT FOR TROUBLESHOOTING ELECTRONICS

CHARGING/POWER PROBLEMS

1) Check the DC socket with your meter - Plug in the power & test for 19.5v on the motherboard where the socket is soldered. If there is no power, move the plug around to check it isn't a poor or dry connection. If you get power from 'wiggling it' you'll just need to resolder the socket (time for some flux paste)

2) If it isn't the socket, the 2nd most common problem are the TrenchFET (MOSFETs) - these are 8-legged chips on the motherboard, usually made by 'FDS' and come in a range. Most common I've seen are FDS8435, FDS8800, FDS4835 (common in VAIOs) etc. When these fail, the laptop will not power or charge. Best practice is to observe 19.5v going in on side (4 legs) and usually 19.5v coming out of the other 4. If not, replace it (DigiKey, Mouser, PCHub etc)

3) Powers up, but refuses to charge a battery. You're looking at the CHARGE CONTROLLER IC - Usually made by Maxim and can be found around or near the battery connector. These are a pain to replace as well as source replacements.

SOUND BUT NO DISPLAY (OR ONLY ON EXT. MONITOR)

1) Check your inverter is working (powering backlight) and that the lid close switch is not stuck (multimeter again)
2) GFX chipset needs to be reflowed or re-balled (even more time consuming). This is the only way of sorting the problem, but is permanent if done correctly.

!!!DO NOT PUT YOUR LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD IN THE OVEN!!!
THIS WILL DEFINITLEY DESTROY IT!!!
Plastic melts, CMOS batteries explode, capacitors explode etc. Beside your laptop being broke you'll be looking to by a new oven as well.

If there are any other people on here with electronics knowledge on laptop repairs I would be more than happy to collaborate my findings & tips when it comes to 'Low level repairs'

There is still quite a lot I don't understand about laptop motherboards, and since I'm the ONLY guy that is capable of performing these repairs at work, I have no-one to ask advice from.

Anyone willing to collaborate? I have service manuals & around 5-6 years experience in electronic repairs.

Lastly, I hope my post helped SOMEONE at least. Please reply if you found anything usefull.

Peace!

Balage S. Nov 17, 2010, 07:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear Joe,
I have a GRX316SP with the common memory slot problems. We have an adequate soldering equipment with microscope so we re-soldered it without bridges but the result is still not satisfying. It does two things: seems to start but without the screen (dead, even no backlight) or the screen light up but the Sony logo wouldn't come, just a small white cursor flashing.
My questions are: is there any hided or not obvious pin to re-solder maybe somewhere or do we need to re-solder all pins in- and outside as well?

Thanks in advance,
Balage

Balage S. Nov 22, 2010, 04:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Isopropylalcohol wouldn't help neither, I already tried it several times. However sometimes it starts and sometimes not. I also observed also it would start easier in the "test" position (means the laptop on its side). It really look like a silly contact problem but I don't have and further idea where it should be.

A K Dec 22, 2010, 12:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 22, 2010, 01:00am EST

Hey everyone, glad to find this site. I need help, like many out there :(

I have a problem dealing a series that hasn't been mentioned before. I am a bit tech savvy, but I can't deal with something that won't boot. My VAIO VGN-FE790G will not boot. It is about 5 years old. Details below:

I began having problems a couple months ago, where I would get a blue screen of death. I found out after much effort that it was a result of an nvidia drive update. After the laptop would restart, it would show that blue screen of death. So, I restored to original settings and did not install that update. It was very weird. Then, I remember having an issue with the nvidia video card not running at all, and the display would be using the "standard video card" that is used when the nvidia card did not work. Of course, the resolution was bad, since I was on a standard card. Then comes up another problem...

My laptop screen experienced green pixels in place of black, and pink was visible on white backgrounds. I noticed it changes like that when I run intensive programs that result in greater CPU and fan speeds. When I close out from them, it turns back to normal. However, it reached a point where it remained abnormal even after restarting. I was able to use it in that condition for about 2-3 months before a bigger problem hit me all of a sudden... it would not turn on.

When power button is pressed, laptop turns on and you hear the optical disk drive. The power light remains on, and the 3 LED lights for the different locks (caps, num, scroll) turn on and remain on without blinking. The battery light charge blinks, indicating that it is charging. The ODD is heard starting up twice and falling silent. The fan does not run, the screen does not turn on, nothing else happens.

I have read many posts. I have tried putting pressure on the memory but I was aware that there should be no problem with those slots for the VGN series. I tried re-inserting the Hard Drive, memory sticks, and ODD. I cleaned out the fan from any dust, and now its clean. But after all that, my laptop remains unresponsive. I noticed that when I remove 1 or both of the memory, the disk drive only starts up once, not twice, and goes silent. Just something I thought was weird.

I have a feeling there is something wrong with the video card, but I don't understand how it would prevent a boot. Might there be other problems? I don't know. But I do know that I am determined to resurrect this laptop, because I love it.

Help is much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Steve Kulha Jan 18, 2011, 02:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe, I have the same thing a VGN-FS 830/w (PCG-7g2l). 3 LED's and nothing else. The laptop just sits (about a year now). Prior to that, I noticed a lot of heat and I would shut down and never able to get it back started. I have had it completely apart at least 6 times to see if anything is obvious. Sometimes I would get lucky and it would start but that was rare.

It is back a part due to the other posts and my curiosity. Can I get an idea of some bias points before I attempt the BGA? I have the capability to tackle the task. Also, how can I easily rule out processor.

btw - the other posts seemed to stop at the FS 500 to 700 series. Is the 800 series in the same boat.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

david valdez Feb 16, 2011, 08:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
pls help...i have the same problems but mine is a sony vgn-c25g..total blackout from the start...:(( ..

david valdez Feb 16, 2011, 08:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Brian Batonde said:
Hi All,

Our Vaio laptop had the same problem (attempts to boot up, green power light on, cd noises etc but then blank screen). What I did was to open it up and remove the CMOS battery for 10 seconds and then plug it in again. ( I think thats what it is called) and et voila! It works fine with no problems.

I guess this has something to do with a dodgy BIOS so if u have similar issues give it a go. The battery is located at the top middle of the laptop underneath the keyboard.

Hope that helps.

brian...i opend up my keyboard but there was no cmos battery underneath it....only ribbons..is it onboard? i have sony vaio vgn-c25g

A K Feb 17, 2011, 12:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
david valdez said:
Brian Batonde said:
Hi All,

Our Vaio laptop had the same problem (attempts to boot up, green power light on, cd noises etc but then blank screen). What I did was to open it up and remove the CMOS battery for 10 seconds and then plug it in again. ( I think thats what it is called) and et voila! It works fine with no problems.

I guess this has something to do with a dodgy BIOS so if u have similar issues give it a go. The battery is located at the top middle of the laptop underneath the keyboard.

Hope that helps.

brian...i opend up my keyboard but there was no cmos battery underneath it....only ribbons..is it onboard? i have sony vaio vgn-c25g

From what I know, the CMOS battery should be located on the motherboard.

Bruno Molly Mar 03, 2011, 07:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
We had the same issue with our VAIO with the Blinking Battery light. To get your Laptop to boot when the Battery light constantly blinks, remove the power adapter plug, Hold the PWR button down on your VAIO while plugging in the Power adapter and release the button 1 second after you insert the plug into the jack. If you don't have any motherboard issues, your computer should boot. HOWEVER....(there's always a However) there will be a NAG popup box bitching about the battery...this box will not at all costs GO AWAY! you can move it and it will go right back to the center of the screen. I am working on this very issue now. But at least you can move it out of the way long enough to click on things if you need to. But be fast about it...it lays on things you need to click on...Typical Sony BS. Anyways let me know if this works for you. Zule8313@aol.com is my email address... i would like to know if this is a valid Temporary fix so you can at least have a chance to back up or save your files before ditching or buying another laptop. Changing the Battery will make that flashing light go away in most cases....but My VAIO's Battery was new, about 4 months of daily use before it crapped out again. So now I guess I need to Crack the Battery open and find the bad Lithium cell and replace it. Incidentally, the Battery I bought came with a CD-Rom with a Driver for the Battery...maybe updating this driver will make the flasing light go away but I doubt it. I can't find my disk on my messy desk so I guess I'm sol with that....If I do find it and use it and it works I will update this post. Hope it works for you...
-Bruno Molly

Chris Best Mar 07, 2011, 09:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Everyone!

Well, after reading everyone of these hallowed pages, I am still non the wiser as to what to do.

I have two Sony Vaio's -

1) VGN-FW41E/H
2) VGN-BX61MN

Both showing the exact same symptoms.

These being;
BLANK SCREEN,
CD/DVD-ROM
Spinning (and trying to read when disc inserted),
POWER LIGHT ALWAYS ON,
BATTERY LIGHT FLASHING WHEN AC PLUGGED TILL BATTERY CHARGED
CPU GETS HOT AND FAN KICKS IN
NO EXTERNAL DISPLAY

Like so many of you in the past I have tried the following

1) Tested RAM/CPU/HDD on good systems (all OK)
2) Tested DC adapter (19.5v as per Adapter)
3) Replaced CMOS batteries

Nothing works!

One thing I think may be part of it (I know for certain with the FW series) is that the BIOS had been updated due to VT update for the CPU. Could it be a bad flash? :/

I am OK with component level repairs, but I am at a complete loss as to where to start on these!

So any advice! Any suggestions! There is power there, its just tying to get it to blooming well work!

Answers on a postcard lol ;)

Chris Tinker Mar 27, 2011, 11:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I find that from all of the posts where people obviously haven't read the previous posts, where people have an apparent OS error rather than anything hardware related, and redundant restatements of the same or similar issues concerning a different model in the same series (with likely the same problem as all the others in that series), there really only seems to be one or two people who actually know what it is that they are talking about. You seem to be the most knowledgeable, so I hope you can reduce years of reading for me:

A)G series: an issue with the soldering of one or more of the RAM slot leads (right?)

B) S series: has a video chip soldering rework issue (most likely).

C) F series: ......?? Not quite sure, but from mine, something to do with the soldering under the southbridge chip....

((((HAT TRICK, SONY!! WAY TO GO WITH YOUR LAPTOP MB DESIGN!!))))

So....what is the source of the FS series boot/hang-at-vaio-logo issue on the MB? (3 lights on after logo, sound then hang. Continues to boot if left wristpad area of case pushed down and left wristpad area pulled up) I have traced the problem to be somewhere under one of the major chips on the board and doesn't seem to be a shorting issue with any of the removable components. My FS550B board has this issue. What do you charge to micro-solder it back in place - I'm DONE staring at it and tracing the connections; board inches from my face.

Secondly, the replacement board I got for this unit has it's own peculiarities - it's a FS740 board, and will consistently boot as long as the video heatsink is not installed; more specifically, as long as the screws that hold it in are not TIGHTENED DOWN past halfway in. I am just past the point of not giving a f**k why this might be the case, and noticed that it appears you buy back old system boards.

1) Just to appease my O/C demon inside, would you tell me where the likely FS550B problem resides, and

2) Please get back to me at
b e l r o t h @ y a h o o DOT c o m
about pricing and possible purchase of the extra board.

Thanks!

joel polius May 02, 2011, 02:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
my sony vaio laptop took a hard knock and now it not coming on. the light for the power are on but nothing else isn't so i don't know what wrong.could u help me out?

john fix Jul 31, 2011, 05:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 31, 2011, 05:51am EDT

My sony Vaio is VPCS117GG and 2 months out of waranty

I came home one day and cant open it. I didn't do anything particular on my Loptop.

this is what I did to try to fix it.

removing the battery for 5 to 10 mins then turning it on. Failed
removing the battery and putting the AC Charger then turning it on. Failed
putting the battery and the Charger at the same time still wont boot

the only thing it does is that the power LEDS (power indicator) is blinks every 5 seconds
And the NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock will also blink sooo i presume thst the CPU is OK.
No Fan
No ODD or Hard Disck Driver movement
Black screen
soooooooo. what seems to be the probem???? need help.

Anthony Faggins Sep 10, 2011, 11:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i Have a sony vaio model PCG-GW1 and on the sreen it has VGN-AX570G.. when i cut the power on the sreen does not cut on but the lights do and stay on and when i try to cut it off i HAVE to take out the battery.... no i have not tryed to the rest button.... i do not have a backup disk... can you help me

Georgi Dimov Oct 07, 2011, 03:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Remove all power cords also bios battery . Wait 1 day and connect all power then try it again. If you have black screen with normal power led this will be GPU problem , try to reflow (hot air station)

Anthony Faggins Oct 07, 2011, 09:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
mIs the Bio. Battery another. Battery with in the computer that I will need to unscrew to get to or is it this huge brick of a batter that can be removed with ease.

Kazmot Kalikot Nov 30, 2011, 05:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try to press Ctrl+Alt+Del and power botton....

Or remove all the power source and press the power botton for 60sec then plug the power cable and press Ctrl+Alt+Del and power botton agin....

Martin Clark Nov 30, 2011, 06:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 30, 2011, 06:48pm EST

mmm Sony. An example of if your brand name is strong enough you can put out endless piles of crap and it doesnt matter much if anyone whinges about it falling apart because the next model will be along in a moment. When I bought my first Sony for example, having just read a review of in a magazine, it was already obsolete and had been replaced by the next model by the time it arrived from sony.

I have had 3 Sony Laptops. ALL of them had issues. Sony FX802 with a crap 2nd ram slot, i.e you could have 256MB of ram stable or 512MB of ram that crashed every 5 mins. And more recently, 2 x Sony CS21's which appear to functionally fine apart from having faulty fans, making scraping noises, that sound like the fans gonna give up any second. Also, the graphics card appears to be spewing random crap on the bottom of the screen of both machines for some reason, a issue that appeared soon after purchase. In the U.S Sony will fix the fault(the fan issue) for free up to 4 years after the warrenty runs out, but in the U.K when your warrenty is up, they're not interested. I didn't realise the fan wasnt supposed to sound like that until the warrenty had ran out.I'm not sure if the graphics issue is just the card not set up properly or not?

I can only suggest Sony buyers try another make next time like MSI, as I own a 1998 MSI desktop(13 year old PC that still works - im using it now in fact) and a recent MSI notebook, and had no real problems with either, apart from having to get the power adapator replaced on the notebook.

Fujitsu Siemsens may be another make to avoid, I think they are seperate now anyway, as I have had a FS desktop PC that has been a constant pain in the arse during the 4 years I've used it. Endless faults. Which is why I am using the old MSI desktop now.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.