Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 685 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:30am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Martin Halford Apr 10, 2004, 04:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
I won't go into the history in detail but my 316MP went back under warranty for repair with the same problem. IIts back again, although it will normally boot with either 256MB or 512MB memory showing. It crashes, not suprisingly, when 256MB kicks in or out!

My question is, does anyone know of a UK repairer capable of doing the soldering under a microscope?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
J Werth Apr 10, 2004, 09:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just got my -Sony back from Joe K of AQS and it's AOK. I reccomend Joe for his prompt, expert work. Here is his email address:

contact@laptopbios.com

katerina zachovalova Apr 11, 2004, 09:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear all,
I had the same memory slot problem with my PCG-GRX560P half year ago. It suddenly slowed down and after a while my husband discovered that it is the memory slot. We noticed the problem right after my warranty ran out, but I managed to persuade the international customer service representative that the problem must have occurred during the warranty and they've fixed. Needless to say that as i live in the Czech Republic and the computer was bought in the US I had to pay one-way DHL shipping to a service center in the US. I was so p**sed off!

Now, I have another problem with the computer and I was wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar with your sony laptop. My screen suddenly went black. The computer is working and I can see everything on a desktop monitor attached to it, but the screen itself is simply dead. I'd appreciate any advise or information in regards to this problem. I have tried to call sony to find out more and i was put on hold three times for about 20 minutes. What a laugh...

I won't ever buy any other sony product. I've only had problems with that company. Their products are unreliable. I had troubles with their camcorder too. I just can't believe they can so easily cheat their customers and sell them such a piece of crap that breaks within a year of its purchase...

Best, Katerina

Martin Halford Apr 11, 2004, 01:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Katerina,

There are two possibilities with your problem - either the lcd is dead, or the backlight (a sort of flourescent tube) has failed. Check the screen again and see if under certain lighting conditions you can still see a very feint image. If you can see the image it's probably just the backlight, if not it's probably the lcd screen. I paid about USD 325 for a backlight repair. The screen would have been about another USD 225.

Best of luck!

Martin

katerina zachovalova Apr 11, 2004, 03:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks a lot! I can see some images, so it is probably the blacklight. Also another forum on this site is dedicated to this problem and someone there suggested to another vaio owner that it could be a broken or jammed sleep botton -- when I play with the latch the display blinks a little. I am so glad it is not the lcd itself. Thanks again. Katerina

Aaron DeSai Apr 11, 2004, 03:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have PCG GRX550 and i have same boot Problems... Currently removed one RAm and using packing to enable boot...
If you have similar problems join pcgproblems@yahoogroups.com and post your problems at pcg_problems@yahoogroups.com....

Sony does not support motherboard replacement after warrenty as $$ issues.... ?

Send this to as many people as you can....may be they might thank you in future....

Joe K Apr 14, 2004, 01:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anyone needing to contact me via email please use this address

aqs12@adelphia.net

"contact@laptopbios.com" is not working properly at the moment.

Thank you,

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Justin Pfeifer Apr 19, 2004, 01:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I guess I just joined the club of Sony's memory problem club. I've had the exact same experience. My warranty just barely expired too. I called Sony, talked to somebody from India for 30 min. (I could hardly understand what she was saying because of her thick accent) and told me I had to send it in. I then found this site and I called back and complained again. I spoke to another Indian person and said the only thing I could do was send it in for repairs and spend a whole bunch of money on repairs. What a joke! I'll never buy anything sony ever again!

Anyways, does anyone know the name of the case at http://www.bigactioncase.com? I'll gladly sign my name to the case. Thanks.

Bob Puli Apr 19, 2004, 12:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Great News!! Sony fixed my laptop for free!
I had the exact same problem with my GRX550 last month - it is about 18 months old.

I called Sony and they gave me the same runaround and a price quote of about $900.

I searched around and found this thread. So I called Sony support back again. Spoke first to a lady and then another gentleman (both in India). I told them that I thought this was Sony's problem (manufacturing defect). Told them about this website. Got transferred to tech support in the US - spoke to a couple of people. Had them look at the thread on this site - while I was on the line with her. Maybe it was level 2 support, but the folks in the US were much more knowledgeable and obviously had more authority to deal with non-standard customer issues.

Finally, the tech support lady (in the US) decided to fix my laptop for free. I got a fedex box in the mail a couple of days later. Sent my laptop in and got it back in 3 days - all fixed. I don't know what they fixed - but it worls fine now.

Moral of the story: be persistent and polite - do not get angry at the person talking to you - they have absolutely nothing to do with your problems.. Tell the indian tech support folks that you think this is a manufacturing defect (they immediately transfer you to US tech support - much easier to deal with).

My experience with Sony support was entirely satisfactory (probably due to the result)!

Hope this helps other folks not willing to spend 900 or 150 on their 1-2 year old laptops.

Mike Wolfe Apr 20, 2004, 08:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, just add another sony laptop to the list. Hell there are about 500-1000 of us just on this forums, think about all the people that are having this problem and havent posted about it. Hmm lemme think, JUST ABOUT EVERYONE THAT HAS BOUGHT A SONY LAPTOP IS PROBLY HAVING PROBLEMS WITH IT. Anyways, I have a fx-340, i think my problem with the booting is that my ac plug in doesnt work very well. I have to press very hard for it to even begin to be powered. Once it starts to boot, it shuts off and wont attempt to turn back on for another 5-10 minutes, then repeats the shut off again. Thx Sony.......... NOT!
by the way, can anyone give me any ideas on how to fix my problem? Would appreciate it, since sony won't make an attempt to.

Joe K Apr 20, 2004, 08:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 20, 2004, 08:41pm EDT

Mike,

That is a common issue with the FX/FXA series, the AC Jack becomes lose and loses contact with the power traces on the board. I'm guessing this is your problem with the information you just gave. One way to verify this is to get either your battery charged on another system to test your system with a fully charged battery, or get another battery from any F, FX, FXA vaio to test with.

Joe K
aqs12@adelphia.net

Joe Kabalan
Mike Wolfe Apr 20, 2004, 09:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, that is what my problem is. I can tell that it is very loose in there. Is there any way possible that I myself can tighten it?

Tom Pappas Apr 20, 2004, 10:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop won't boot?
If you are very adept at disassembling and reassembling your model of laptop and soldering in very tight places, I'd say go for it. But you should be aware that the downside, a ruined computer, can be caused by something as simple as putting the wrong screw in a hole and shorting out the motherboard.

Tom Pappas

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Mike McMahon Apr 21, 2004, 10:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Another GRX550 with this SODIMM problem. My extended 2 year warranty expired just 19 days
ago, and now it wont boot!!!! The first sign of trouble was actually not a boot or freezeup, but
rather the video was getting progressively more flakey.. it started with wierd (but tolerable)
slight color alteration, which devolved into the entire screen being jumbled. Since I could
still boot Linux to console (but X would be totally jumbled) I was thinking it must be a video
RAM or Radeon7500 chip going bad, then BOOM.. no more boot!

Twice my laptop was repaired under warranty, once for failure to recognize 1/2 of installed
RAM (they replaced the motherboard) and another time for freezup soon after boot (they
replaced the CPU). Considering how bad Sony products are made, they should just start
charging everyone an extra $250 and give everyone the extended warranty.

Luckily I stumbled across this board. After removing one RAM chip, now it boots and
works perfectly (no weird video even) but only 1/2 ram. I need to send this to JoeK in
new york for repair, will let you know how it goes.

Kunjal Raheja Apr 23, 2004, 11:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 09, 2011, 01:15am EST

Hi JoeK,

Do you even specialize in repairing laptops that have had liquid damage? For example a PCG-Z1AP series that wont power on at all?

Thanks!

Joe K Apr 27, 2004, 02:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone,

I was away for a long weekend 4/22 - 4/27

first one in 6 or 7 years.. sorry for the delay in email responses. I should be caught up today or tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Joe K
aqs12@adelphia.net

Joe Kabalan
rick mantle May 05, 2004, 11:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
dear fellow dupes,
add me to the list. I bought pcg-fx108k with 2 x 256mb strips of ram in dec '01 and 24 months later (dec '03) it stopped booting. tried various ram configurations and detemined that it was ram slot two that was faulty. slot one worked fine with either strip of 256 ram, and slot 2 was just dead. carried on using it with only half the ram I paid for and it ran ok, though if the laptop was moved at all during operation it would often crash. then in april '04 it just died. looking closely at the dimm slots could see that some of the s-legs were not secure where they are attatched to mother board. this is out of warranty but in view of the overwhelming number of posts with the same issue it would seem to be a design or manufacture fault that sony should honourably rectify. sony will be losing or keeping another customer depending on their response.

I spoke to joe k on the phone and he seems upright, so may just send it there (from london) but my wallet is complaining already.

rick

Andreas Angelidakis May 06, 2004, 02:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
PCG-GRX570 here

It was not booting, same problems. Took it to a regular repair place, they said forget it, its the motherboard.
So I started shopping around for a new laptop, even though I cant afford it.

Tonight, as I was looking for how to sell my vaio for parts, I found this thread, and well, I cleaned the ram a bit, stuck some tape underneath it and , erm its working. I am so shocked.

Tomorrow, I'm calling SONY to ask them to fix it for free, and if not sending it to Mr Joe K immediately

Thanks people for posting

Daniel Persson May 06, 2004, 02:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Vaio is away for repairs now, I send 7 weeks ago to a repair center here in Sweden. Talked to them yesterday and they said the computer ran fine last week but this monday it had stopped booting again. I really hope I will get it back soon, I know this repair will cost me a lot of $$$.

I can't belive that so many users have this problem! And its also unbelivable that Sony just ignore it...

Al Y May 07, 2004, 09:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello all,
I own a PCG-GRX520. I'm having similar problems to everyone else. Only difference is that moving the memory around and tape under the cover do not work for me. My laptop boots up every now and then when it feels like it, but only stays on for either a few seconds or a couple of minutes. I was wondering if anyone else has had no luck with these fixes and if that means that it's not a memory problem. I'm hoping it is the memory, if so, straight to Joe K it goes.

P.S. Sony Blows!

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.