Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 678 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:27am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Mike McMahon May 07, 2004, 10:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Anybody heard from JoeK lately? I have tried 3 emails over the past 2 weeks, no reply.
Is there another place where I can get my memory slots re-soldered?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Kate Hindle May 07, 2004, 10:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi

Joe K is very much alive and kicking - we exchanged emails yesterday. I know he was having some problems with one of the email addresses. Try this one: aqs12@adelphia.net

Cheers

Kate

Joe K May 07, 2004, 12:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 07, 2004, 09:13pm EDT

Hello,

Yes, I'm alive and well.. you can contact me the following ways...

1-866-204-4677
716-832-2473

aqs12@adelphia.net
contact@laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Daniel May 13, 2004, 03:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I own a FX370 that I bought in late 2001 and after a few months the second memory slot failed and I was stuck with only 256MB. I was finally able to fix the problem today. As mentioned in this board there are two problems; first, bad soldering and plastic clips that wear out. If you're not sure if one of the contacts may be loose you can use a small screwdriver and see if they move.

I was able to fix the loose connections of the second memory slot; I had to re-solder pin #1-4 and #140-143. Once that was done I got the no-boot problem many of you experienced--and in that case it was a good thing as it meant that I was on the right track--so I tried to gently apply pressure to the RAM and voila! 512 MB :)

PS: I don't recommend you try to solder the connections unless a) your laptop won't run at all or b) you have enough practice and feel confident that you can do it. Of course you could always ask a computer repair shop to try this for you, after all, it's still cheaper than a new mainboard.

Ben Konrath May 14, 2004, 01:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had similar problems to what is posted here. I ended up sending my computer to Joe Kabalan @ AQS <aqs12@adelphia.net>. The computer is completely fixed. Joe did a great job, was always polite and friendly and he even shipped my unit back to Canada.

I highly recommend that you email Joe if you are having similar problems.

Cheers, Ben

Daniel Huggins May 14, 2004, 04:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Not sure if my particular problem is unique, but here goes...
I have the PCG-GRV680 model, and I've been having problems for about a month. It started with an 0200 Error (Couldn't Find HD) when I'd power it up. Now, however, There is absolutely no power (no lights, fan...anything.) I tried taking the RAM from slot 2, but it didn't work. A lot of people here sound like they have some signs of life (w/lights, etc.) but I have nothing... -Daniel

tom May 14, 2004, 04:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 14, 2004, 08:34pm EDT

I need to pee

I am practising being a moderator

Tom Pappas May 14, 2004, 05:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does anybody feel as though they're being spammed? All I see here are people with problems and people who know how to solve them.

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Daniel Huggins May 14, 2004, 08:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
People with problems? No way, not under the subject "Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?" Who would post about a problem under this board? Stupid spammers!

Just in case you didn't pick up on it, I'm being extremely sarcastic. I came here to try and find a solution to a problem w/my Vaio, so unless you have a problem (or solution) maybe *you* should move to another subject.

Kate Hindle May 17, 2004, 05:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I live in England and I just got my laptop back from Joe K in the US. He repaired and returned in within a week for a fraction of the price that Sony wanted for the same repair. Even with shipping the laptop to the States and back I have saved myself 668 (GB Pounds) that I would have had to spend with Sony. Also, Joe re-soldered the memory slots which didn't even get a mention in the Sony quote.

Send your laptop to Joe K for an very reasonable and very efficient repair.

Kate

Duncan Green May 17, 2004, 05:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi

ITS A SONY!

NO!

ITS A NO-GO-SONY!

or will be only a matter of time now!

Ive got a PCG-GRV616G
1year & 6 weeks.

with 2x512DDR memmory which i now have a lot of sypathy for as their bastad slots are cooking them!

3 months in motherboard replaced by engineer for free got report to proove it.
8 months later same problem, they now want 12.50 to speak to an advisor at 7p per minute.

and approximately 650 for a new motherboard that will break!

Unlike a lot of you guys i inspected the same problem but came up with a crazzy idea of using blu tac carfully wedged inbetween the plastic arm and the metal backing!

This has worked but about 2hours prior to this messege i got the same failure!

so i turned it upside down took the panel off all looked good! put cover back on! booted up!

After reading all of this I will ask Jo if he can fix my laptop for me, hopefully he will be able to? i need the laptop as its cost me a flipping lot!

Im not familiare with LAW proceedings in the US but I live in the UK, so please could anyone email the legal proceding to STAND UP FOR MY RIGHTS AGAINST PANCE SONY!

Im not sure if trading standards will touch this but im phoning them tomorrow! with a print of all of this forum!

MANY REGARDS TO YOU ALL!

KEEP UP THE FIGHT FOR JUSTICE!

DIVIDED WE FALL TOGETHER WE STAND!

WE WILL WIN!

Al Y May 20, 2004, 09:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well hello all. I'm happy to report that Joe K was able to fix my Phony Vaio. It still strikes me as being illegal what Sony is doing. I mean we all have one of a few possible problems (all easily and inexpensively fixed) with our Vaios and Sony's only reply is 'Ya gotta replace the motherboard'. If a car mechanic told you that you had to replace your entire engine because your radiator was leaking he'd be shut down in about two seconds. Sony, however, continues to do this on a daily basis and for some reason seem untouchable. As far as our Class Action I have to say I'm a bit pessimistic. I've given my info, but am not holding my breath for a check from Sony.

I think the best thing we can do is boycott Sony. Just don't buy anything Sony ever again. They'll feel the pressure down the road. And yea, maybe we won't get any money out of it, but at the very least we'll save some by not buying faulty merchandise. Thanks again Joe K. Sony could take some lessons from you on how to treat customers.

Jerry Andries May 20, 2004, 05:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I recently purchased a couple of dead GRX500 series laptops and I was able to get one working by removing memory from slot #2, but the other is just dead power light is on. I even tried the processor from the woking one but nothing. Anyone have any clues? is my CMOS wiped out or is there a major issue with the motherboard? Any ideas? if not I will salvage it for parts.

Thanks

Duncan Green May 20, 2004, 06:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well im back.

Joe Kabalan has offered me some good help. Thanks.

I phoned trading standards for those in the UK & they said that we are to right a recorded letter to the firm you directly bought the Vaio from describing the problem & describing your unsatisfaction with the product & demand a replacement. Otherwise you will take them to court. (preferably a small claims court) trading standards said its their descision but in court they will loose, no questions asked!

On the manufacturing side as Sony go!

They have to honor a 1years garantee of the product.

After that its up to their discression if they choose to be honest & replace it. Or they can just tell you to pay for the problem, which is not very fair at all! but however is very legal!

You can send a recorded letter to Sony direct describing the same again. They may honor it, but as we all know theyl just laugh at it & throw it in the bin!

If you take Sony to court Trading standards said its a grey area & there fore couldnt comment cos it could go either way!

SO IF ONE YOU VAIO OWNERS ARE FRIENDLY WITH ANY RIVAL COMPANYS! ASK THEM IF THEIR INTESTED IN PUTTING UP THE MONEY TO, TAKE SONY TO THE CLEANERS!!!

Regards to you all

Duncan Green

T Y May 23, 2004, 10:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? - SONY NV170 fixed
Thanks to all who posted solutions here, you guys have given me a clue on how to solve a problem with my PCG-NV170.

For anyone who is/will be possibly struggling in the same problem with NV170, I post about what I have done. If your NV170 does not start up (i.e. not even the SONY logo would come up. If it would, the OS will eventually freezes after a few minutes no matter what you are doing - normal, Safe mode, recovery CD, etc etc).

The solution can be very simple; MEMORY SLOT (after all). Prepare a small + screw driver.

NV170 comes with two memery slots (this someone had said already).
If you open the cover at the bottom of your PC body (the one around the center part. As above you would need a screw driver.), you will see the slots. NV170 (purchased at a Best Buy) came with a 256MB RAM, and thus the other slot is empty.

Try removing the memory card and then insert to the other slot.
Turn on the PC power.
SONY logo should come up and it will proceed, hopefully.

My NV170 has been OK since this method, and everything as far as I can see is working stably. The 256 MB RAM is fully recognized by the machine.

So it seems the failure is somewhat to do with the memory slot (#1) itself.

I am using this NV170 in Japan now and Sony would not support it since purchased in the U.S. (although the same model is on sale as NV55 or something like that). So I asked a guy I found on the web to repair the problem before I had realized this very simple and free (if you have a screw driver) solution, who told me appropximately USD 700 or so to change the mother board.

I am saving that money and see how it goes from here.
Hope this helps someone.

Tom Pappas May 24, 2004, 12:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, the memory slot design is deficient. In particular, the solder joints that hold the socket to the board loosen over time, causing intermittent contact.

The final repair consists of re-soldering the sockets to the board. Depending on the model of SODIMM used in a particular computer, this requires making 144x2 or 200x2 really tiny solder connections.

We have repaired a goodly number of these machines.

Martin Halford May 24, 2004, 05:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've asked this before here, but does anyone know of a UK repairer capable of resoldering the memory slots. The cost of shipping to the US looks to be prohibitive, certainly for my already 2 year old GRX316MP that does still work desipe occassional thrombo's when it loses the second memory slot.

Martin

Yorkshire Lad May 24, 2004, 05:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 24, 2004, 05:39pm EDT

>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? (PCG GRX570)
My laptop of 2 years old (which I bought in Miami - I now live in the UK), has just crashed, burnt out, not booted, I'm not really sure. I'll be contacting a few people on here that have had miracles re-starting their PCG -GRX570's.

But I must say I'm horrified to learn that it could be the 'motherboard' that needs replacing, running @ around 605 GBP to replace. Ha and I thought it was the hard-drive (Toshiba MK401GAS), only 75 GBP to replace (and far easier)........

So, I don't know what the first step is I should take? My laptop started 'freezing' (whilst on the www) last Friday. Eventually after a series of successfull re-starts (re-boots), it kept freezing again. Once starting at the screen that gives you the option of "last known good configuration" (or something). I did that, successfully for a brief while, then it froze again!!! The last 'sense' I got out of it was one of those 'automatic error reports', to microsoft declaring some serious error to do with Internet Protocol (so I thought I'd got a virus?).

Anyway, having found this very helpful forum, seems I am not alone in my Sony doom. Not sure what to do?

One thing I have attepmted is to fiddle around taking out the removable hard-drive and replacing it, there was some brief flicker and a tiny whirr of a hard-drive (I think), but now |I am resigned to putting on the power, seeing all the led lights light up and stay lit up, I cannot turn off the power, without unplugging the electricity.........

Dood, I'm getting a Dell next!!

Any ideas anyone? Please tell me I have not lost all my files too? I assume I can plug the hard-drive into some device and retrieve them eventually?

Thanks,

Ben

Kevin Patrick May 26, 2004, 10:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
See Dave Osborne posting from 10/6/03. The "BOTTOM LINE FIX" worked great. I had no success with Sony or with a local hardware shop (as helpful as they attempted to be).

Kevin

Tom Pappas May 26, 2004, 10:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
That's great. As long as you are aware that the "FIX" is only a stopgap measure, and can cause irreversible damage to the mother board.

Better to have the RAM socket re-soldered by someone who knows what s/he's doing.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.