Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1179 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:34pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Shane G Jun 18, 2004, 04:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Add me to the list. I looked through about 10 pages and didn't see anyone with the memory module problem on a PCG-GRV670. But I highly doubt I am the first. I had my laptop for about six months before the first of many random shutdowns and no-boots started. Unfortunately mine only had a three month warranty and it was long over so I got no help from the online shop I purchased it from. Then I found a forum with a post about using a shim to solve the problem. Voila it was fixed. For a while. Now it continues and I think it may also be suffering from the heat problem now as it is shutting down a few times per day either from movement or heat. Seems to get awful warm on occasion even on normal running.

So, all that said, is Joe or Tom my best man for the fix? I see both of your recent posts, but was unclear if Tom also does the resoldering or just fixes the overheating. Mine is definitely suffering from the memory problem and may also have the overheating due to my hackjob with a shim. Any other testimonials from both shops are welcome. Thanks.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tom Pappas Jun 18, 2004, 12:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Since either Joe or I can fix your machine equally well - maybe your decision should be informed by the cost of shipping (I'm in Arizona, Joe is in New York).

Yorkshire Lad Jun 18, 2004, 03:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> GRX 570 Fixed by JK!!!!!!!!!!
I'm delighted to report that my laptop has been fixed by JK!!!!!!!!!

I have a PCG-GRX570 (though it seems all PCG-GRX models are affected by the DIMM socket/memory socket problem)........

I live in England, though my laptop is 110v, and decided it best to send it to JK based exclusively on this website.... I bit scary, as for as all I knew 'he' could have been anyone on the web (no disrespect meant - but you know what I mean). I did little research into 'his' company. Just sent an email or two on what my problem was and shipped my laptop to the USA!!!! But I was confident that he was a bone fide company and I can certainly report that he is!!!!

So Thursday June 3rd @ 3pm, my laptop was collected by DHL in Yorkshire, England. It cost around 50 to mail, plus I opted for insurance (on 1,700 value), which was an extra 25 or so......

It reached the USA the following day!

There was a variety of hold up's (following the tracking at various airport hubs etc). I think it may have got to NY on the Saturday, or possibly Monday.

BUT, I received a call from JK's company informing me on Monday 7th that my laptop had been fixed, I paid ($149 + $60 shipping) and it was on it's way back to the UK, reaching me on Friday 11th. Impressive or what............

I gingerly put my hard-drive back in and bugger me, the bloody thing whirred into action and I have been happy ever since? FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lessons learnt? Well I'll try not to let it get too hot in the future (for example sit it on my knee - even though it's a bloody laptop!) and I will make frequent back-up's, because I am sure that the SONY Piece of s**t, will fail in the future............. Watch this space..................

Note on HM Customs...............

I was charged VAT of 104 plus a clearance fee of 8.00 (total 112.00 ). I challenged this with Parcel Force,. who gave me Customs telephone number to call at their depot in Coventry, argued the toss, said I had bought the laptop in the UK (which had), I no longer had a receipt as it was 2nd hand and that more importantly I had mailed it from the UK to the USA for repair and return to the UK.............. Customs said there was nothing to indicate that. This is a total lie. Had they bothered to open the 'packing list', that JK had stuck on the outside of the box, it would have been abundantly clear exactly what had happened. I just wonder whether they are totally incompetant, or if they just try it on as another 'stealth' tax.............

I had to pay the above fee and ask for a refund!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ultimately I should just pay 14 VAT on the $149 repair fee............. But it would have taken 3-4 weekd for Parcel Force to have returned the laptop to Coventry and for Customs to have reassessed the charge to the correct 14............ Now that's equal bullshit in my mind to the scale of SONY....................Anyway, let's see if I get my refund..............

God save the Queen................ NOT!!!!!!!!!!! (Or Blair)! (Or Bush for that matter - wankers the lot of them!)

Tom Pappas Jun 18, 2004, 06:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> HM Customs, VAT, and all that
We've never encountered a problem like that. You can see the experience of our clients all over the world on our guest book.

Simply label the parcel to us "laptop computer for repair" and we will label the outgoing one "repaired laptop" and MAKE SURE THE ORIGINAL LABEL IS STILL VISIBLE.and you shouldn't have any customs problems at all.

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Joe K Jun 18, 2004, 07:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

"Yorkshire Lad" glad to hear all is well.. it's been a pleasure doing business with you. Please let me know if you need any additional paperwork or proof of the transaction for customs.

"Shane" our company has repaired a handful of the GRV line with the memory slot defect. This "Defect" is not limited to the GRX line. In all actuality the GRV line shares almost the same motherboard design layout as the GRX series. Although this is not as a widespread problem as the GRX, the GRV certainly is subject to the defect.

That is a good sign when the problem was "resolved" with the "shim" fix. But I always have suspicion when someone mentions "shut down" in the same sentence. If you see a quick flash of a "Blue Screen" windows error before the shutdown then it's more than likely related to the RAM slot problem.

(To everyone else) Please be advised, (I certainly don't think this is the case with you Shane) there are several power failure conditions with the GRX, GRV and several other Vaio lines (nothing like the F series problem mentioned above). But when this condition occurs, your system will power off, then sometimes not power on at all. ..and you'll get immediate flashes from the status lights right above the power button right after you attempt to power the system on. We have spent countless days and in some cases weeks researching these power problems and developing fixes for them.

Personally if you ask me, I think the GRV motherboard is built better than the GRX line. Shane, don't quote me on this, but a memory slot repair may very well solve your problems. No one can be 100% sure any fix will actually repair any condition until the system is fully functional and tested for reliability.

Joe Kabalan

AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Email: aqs12@adelphia.net
Local: 716-832-2473
Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Scott Shepherd Jun 21, 2004, 05:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My firm recently handled successfully the Fujitsu Hard Drive litigation (see settlement website, http://www.hddclassactionsettlement.com). We are investigating claims about Sony Vaio failures, and would welcome any insight any of you forum members could provide.

Scott R. Shepherd
Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah, LLC
35 East State Street
Media, PA 19063
610-891-9880
http://www.classactioncounsel.com

Gary Longhurst Jun 21, 2004, 06:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

like most of the rest of you I purchased a Sony for it's perceived quality (and paid the premium price tag for it)

You can now add another UK Sony user to the list of p***ed off people as after just 13 1/2 months of use it went from being as stable as a rock to blue screening at every opportunity. After replacing the Dimm in the second slot with Crucial memory (PC Check reported the original as faulty) I was still getting problems. Then I found this Forum and tried the peice of card on the memory and Hey presto it spang back to life and all was well for a few weeks, Unfortunately now the computer will boot only 1 time in 20 if I am lucky and when up can power down or blue screen at any time. It got to the point where I had to purchase another laptop (Definately not another Sony) as I am a computer field engineer and rely on a laptop on site.

Fortunately I emmigrate to New Mexico In September So I will not get stitched with overseas postage and HM Customs charges when I enlist the help of Joe to get this monster sorted

Tom Pappas Jun 21, 2004, 09:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> How to fix your memory problem yourself
Our analysis has revealed that there are three common causes of memory slot failure. I will describe these in descending order of seriousness (from worst case to best):

3. The contact springs inside the connector have lost their elasticity, and no longer form a reliable connection with the contact fingers on the SODIMM board. Either that, or excessive pressure has caused the plastic body of the connector to split (this frequently happens when shims are jammed in to increase the pressure on the board to solve a condition that could have been solved easily - see #1). In this case, the entire connector must be removed from the mother board and a new one soldered in place. We do both of them at once, since experience shows that the failure of one strongly suggests that the other will fail soon.

2. One or more of the solder joints that connect the socket pins to the mother board has come loose. This problem is easily solved (once the offending joint has been located) by re-soldering with a special hot-air soldering tool made for Surface Mount Technology (SMT) work.

1. This one is so mind-numbingly obvious, we're astounded that we're the first to mention it. In our experience, about three-quarters of memory failures can be solved by simply cleaning the contacts on the SODIMM board and those in the connector slots. The gold contact fingers on the board can be cleaned with a BRAND NEW pencil eraser (that has never been touched by body oils or other contaminants). The internal contact points in the socket are best cleaned with several pieces of cardboard that fit the slot snugly, and which have been soaked in alcohol. Push them in and out a few times, and try the system again.

It is our hope that this information saves many people a lot of frustration and grief.

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

rick mantle Jun 22, 2004, 04:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
dear tom,
ahh. at last you decide to take a leaf out of joe k's book and post helpful comments rather than snide or accusatory ones. I refer to various of your previous posts where you either insinuated that those of us suffering from very real and frustrating problems with our vaio's were figments of some spammer's imagination, or those posts where you attempt to trawl for business by claiming to be joe k's teacher.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, just thanking you for getting with the spirit of this thread (ie: real people with real problems who didn't expect to get shafted by sony when they faithfully parted with a wad of cash for vaio trash).

I will try your various fixes and let you know how it goes.
rick

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jun 22, 2004, 05:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
considering there is such a problem, take it to sony and throw it in their faces and never buy that particular vaio model again.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Tom Pappas Jun 22, 2004, 10:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Huh?
rick mantle,

I believe your criticism must be based on a misunderstanding of my intent, because I have never posted anything here that was meant to be inflammatory or derogatory in any way. If you will cite specific examples of what you feel are transgressions of behavior and/or decorum on my part, I will be happy to discuss them with you.

Cordially,

Tom Pappas

Rita Dorn Jun 22, 2004, 11:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I see that Tom Pappas is trying to divert clients from the tried and proven Joe K. I think that Tom should keep fixing the F series junk and Joe should keep fixing the GRX and newer series junk, thus dividing the Sony junk repairs evenly. I still say we need an NBC Dateline series for all of this junk!

Rita Dorn Jun 22, 2004, 11:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In conjunction with my statement above, please click on this link posted by Tom Pappas below and read CAREFULLY!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Laptop_Repair/message/406

Tom exchanges a F Series fix and he thinks he deserves a share in the GR series fixes! Tom can use a lot of big fancy words but that doesn't mean he can fix a newer fancier computer. Joe has countless satisfied customers within this post alone and people need to go with what is tried and proven!

Tom Pappas Jun 22, 2004, 12:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Rita Dorn,

Thank you for your comments. It is always refreshing to hear from new contributors. (I hope I'm not out of line for saying that, but you did in fact only post once before today.)

You may rest assured that Sony has provided adequate employment for all the Joe Ks and Tom Ps in the world without anyone needing to "divert" business from someone else. There is plenty of work to go around - so much that everyone in this business frequently experiences backlogs.

As far as "newer" models are concerned - I have fixed nothing but newer models since becoming an IBM Field Engineer in 1966!

Best wishes,

Tom P

Rita Dorn Jun 22, 2004, 08:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You are quite welcome, Tom. I would like to think that the quality of my post(s) is considered more then the quantity. If there really is enough Sony late model defect work to go around, then why are you in here where Joe K has a proven record advertising for the same work? I am sure that there are other forums that you could find this kind of work. I find your advertising here and your insult to Joe K regarding the F series repair quite offensive and I wouldn't send you any work. Your work may or may not be in the same league as Joe K's but your business ethics certainly is not. If this is wrong then please post another old F series Yahoo post where Joe K was trolling in a forum that you were getting clients from for work!

Tom Pappas Jun 22, 2004, 09:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would like to think that the quality of my post(s) is considered more then the quantity. <B>I'm sure you would. I just thought it was peculiar that your second and third posts suddenly appeared in this particular thread.</B>

If there really is enough Sony late model defect work to go around, then why are you in here where Joe K has a proven record advertising for the same work? <B>No reason, really. Nothing better to do, I guess.</B>

I am sure that there are other forums that you could find this kind of work. <B>What do you care?</B>

I find your advertising here and your insult to Joe K regarding the F series repair quite offensive and I wouldn't send you any work. <B>What insult? Joe is a highly competent technician, and one who was advertising here long before I discovered the group. And if you don't want me to fix your system, I won't be devastated.</B>

Your work may or may not be in the same league as Joe K's but your business ethics certainly is not. <B>This is a public forum. Why is advertising in public unethical?</B>

If this is wrong then please post another old F series Yahoo post where Joe K was trolling in a forum that you were getting clients from for work! <B>Well, since Joe OWNS the Yahoo Laptop_Repair group, I think he would resent your implication. Please refer to this link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Laptop_Repair/members?group=sub and notice that the group's owner is indicated by the Blue Star.</B>

Joe K Jun 22, 2004, 09:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Rita,

I would like to start by saying thank you for your support. I really do appreciate it and I understand your intensions are good.

Tom, seems like a very nice guy and I think the last thing he wanted was to start a ruckus over nothing.

As Tom stated, I am the owner of that Yahoo Laptop Repair Forum. Tom, in the past has helped on that very forum, and as I do with anyone and everyone that helps there am very grateful to have him as a member (Thanks Tom! if you still are a member?)

Lets focus on helping people find affordable solutions and offering helpful advise if we can, shall we? Just a suggestion, not looking for trouble. :)

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

716-832-2473

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopBIOS.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
scott shufelt Jun 23, 2004, 02:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My laptop has the same problem!! Has there been anymore talk about a class action suite?? Any web site to sign up on?? Wit this many people having the same problem it should be a no brainer...
Thanks Scott

scott shufelt Jun 23, 2004, 02:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Has anyone heard of a class action suite actually being followed through?? I have the same problem as the rest and think something should be done.. Is there a web site or something to sign a petition??
Thanks Scott

Rita Dorn Jun 23, 2004, 06:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Your response puts it all in perspective, Tom. You have no forum to troll for work so you just follow Joe around the Internet! My apologies, Joe, I baited Tom and he fell for it. As per Joe's request lets all just get along here. Has anyone checked out this from an earlier post?
http://www.classactioncounsel.com/pages/consumer_fraud.html

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.