Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1139 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:33pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Tom Pappas Jun 23, 2004, 01:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Rita, Rita, Rita!

Following Joe around the Internet?! ROFLMAO!

Maybe if Joe shows up at these sites where I have posted help, you can accuse HIM of following ME ;o)

http://cip.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~zwerger/Vaio/Viao_Disassembly.pdf (this is where I published the F series disassembly instructions in a free download):

http://cip.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~zwerger/Vaio/VAIO-Prob2.pdf (here is where Andreas has archived the original ez-boards thread where I announced to the world how to fix their shutdown problems themselves.The post generated so many responses from people who didn't know how to do it, I started doing it for them.)

Here are some more places:

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3937&forum=41

http://www.voy.com/293/59.html

http://www2.geek.com/discus/messages/6874/3029.html

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=181b8403123f80ee964...op+problem

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3345

If you want more, I will be more than happy to oblige. If you want to issue an apology for your scurrilous accusations, I will accept it graciously.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Scotty Scott Jun 23, 2004, 01:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
If you are interested in pursuing a Sony class-action initiative then do as I have done and contact Scott Shepherd. He has followed up on my e-mail to him and requested more info. I would think that the " more the merrier" course of action could be positive so why don't all the "complainants" contact Mr. Shepherd and see what develops.

Good Luck to all,
Scotty
PS: If anybody wants to follow my train of forum messages and my actions so far then look at Pages 5, 7, 9 and 10.

The following message from Scott Shepherd is on Page 16.

My firm recently handled successfully the Fujitsu Hard Drive litigation (see settlement website, http://www.hddclassactionsettlement.com). We are investigating claims about Sony Vaio failures, and would welcome any insight any of you forum members could provide.

Scott R. Shepherd
Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah, LLC
35 East State Street
Media, PA 19063
610-891-9880
http://www.classactioncounsel.com

Rita Dorn Jun 23, 2004, 08:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You amuse me, Tom. I am convinced that Joe K taught you everything that you know!
http://cip.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~zwerger/Vaio/VAIO-Prob2.pdf
I am just repeating a link that YOU posted and the first thing that I see is a poster thanking Joe K and a contribution from Joe K in 2002!
I can't stop laughing!

Tom Pappas Jun 23, 2004, 11:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 23, 2004, 11:10pm EDT

Rita,

I'm sorry you are bent on pursuing your petty diatribe, but since you seem determined to denigrate my competence and professionalism, you compel me to lay out the rest of the story.

The analysis that Joe is being thanked for in the thread you cite turns out to be a dead end. The CPU SMBALERT# is a red herring, which was addressed by the workaround spelled out in the Intel document long before the shutdown symptom appeared. As someone who has had a "lucrative job as a Systems Analyst," you should know to research the entire topic before forming any conclusions.

If you read http://cip.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~zwerger/Vaio/VAIO-Prob.pdf you will find that beginning 2/9/02, Joe is convinced that the capacitors have nothing to do with the shutdown problem, and that the only solution is to replace the CPU. He says as much on 7/28/02..

The true solution to this ubiquitous syndrome is not revealed until 4/5/03 when "vaiocondios" references the investigation done by Anton Narkov, and subsequent posts confirm his analysis. On 11/29/03, MerlotMade acknowledges the contribution of vaiocondios to the resolution of the issue once and for all.

What seems to continue to elude you is that laptop repair is not an exact science (it probably SHOULD be, but we don't need to get into the reasons why it isn't in this forum), and even the best technicians often wander around in the dark trying shotgun solutions until they stumble on one that seems to work. Joe and I are just about on a par in this regard. We have learned from one another.

Cordially,

Tom Pappas

(p.s. I am vaiocondios. My guest book at http://www.vaioshutdown.com speaks for itself.)

Rita Dorn Jun 24, 2004, 07:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tom,

You obviously don't know what a Systems Analyst does. If you were so concerned where in the post you were so right, then post that exact link! Don't just hand out a book, Tom, when referencing a specific passage. You posted what I consider an absolutely irrelevant comment earlier about that F series fix in an attempt to discredit Joe and obtain some work for yourself. When that didn't work you posted the fixes themselves. I think that was totally out of line. Like the average notebook user is going to just break open that notebook and take a soldering tool to it! I think that everyone here on these boards that has sent Joe K their machines can agree with me that I think the price of that fix is very very reasonable. Their machines are going from dead to functioning for very little money. Joe K is competent, reasonable and has a fast turnaround. Instead of dedicating your time to trolling this forum for work and being pompus, why don't you analyze the next fix which will probably be a Sony. Its obvious as long as Sony is making notebooks there will be fixes. I has a friend with a XG18 that was completely dead one month after warranty. Any ideas? Was that another popular problem?

Rita

P.S. Scott is currenly seeking clients with Sony defective computers.

Scott R. Shepherd
35 East State Street
Media, PA 19063
610-891-9880

Tom Pappas Jun 24, 2004, 11:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You obviously don't know what a Systems Analyst does.

>> Well, let's see. When I was a Systems Analyst at The Flying Tiger Line, I conducted a Current System Study to document the process flow of an international freight airline, then I designed an automated solution (that came to be known as KIAC) to replace the manual one. I did this by carefully READING everything that had any relevance to the subject under scrutiny. When I was at American Airlines, I designed the Fast File Cache subsystem of the SABRE reservations system that came to be known as Dynamic Core File. Before I wrote a single line of specifications, I READ and understood the entire software environment that I was designing in. In other words, my understanding of what a Systems Analyst does is to first READ, then draw conclusions.

If you were so concerned where in the post you were so right, then post that exact link! Don't just hand out a book, Tom, when referencing a specific passage.

>> There is no exact link. The .pdf document I referenced is an archive, not an on-line forum, and therefore is not indexed. Since the debate in the archived document lists developments in chronological order, and I referenced the various developments by date, I supposed that you could easily go directly to the posts I cited by simply scrolling down. Evidently I guessed wrong.

You posted what I consider an absolutely irrelevant comment earlier about that F series fix in an attempt to discredit Joe and obtain some work for yourself.

>> First of all, I am not here to discredit anyone, and I find your insinuation to be deeply offensive. I have said repeatedly, for the benefit of anyone capable of reading and comprehending, that I think Joe is a highly competent and professional technician. If any work comes of my presence here, then fine.

When that didn't work you posted the fixes themselves. I think that was totally out of line. Like the average notebook user is going to just break open that notebook and take a soldering tool to it!

>> I posted the fix more than a year ago. Anyone who takes the trouble to read the archived documents can see that many people have, in fact, repaired their own Vaios using my descriptions. From the time my investigation of this problem began, I have shared all the information I have unearthed, for the benefit of all. I have also made the parts available for anyone with the requisite skill and equipment.

I think that everyone here on these boards that has sent Joe K their machines can agree with me that I think the price of that fix is very very reasonable. Their machines are going from dead to functioning for very little money. Joe K is competent, reasonable and has a fast turnaround.

>> This is rather irrelevant to whatever point you have been struggling to make, but I agree. I, too, have always sought optimally cost-effective solutions. By the way, swapping out the CPU board has the effect of substituting one set of crappy Sony components with another. I replace the fried capacitors with higher-grade parts (greater thermal coefficient), and warrantee the fix for life.

Instead of dedicating your time to trolling this forum for work and being pompus, why don't you analyze the next fix which will probably be a Sony.

>> The NEXT fix? LOL! If I could predict the future, do you think I'd waste my time in online discussions?

Its obvious as long as Sony is making notebooks there will be fixes.

>> Possibly. Even probably. But not necessarily. Maybe the threat of Class Actions will scare them onto the path of righteousness ;o)

I has a friend with a XG18 that was completely dead one month after warranty. Any ideas?

>> You want me to diagnose a problem I've never seen? Hey, I may be good, but I'm not that good!

Was that another popular problem?

>> Not with me.

A link to my Guest Book can be found at the bottom of http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Steven Proe Jun 26, 2004, 02:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Folks: This maybe of intrest you all of use go to this page to see how HP is handling 900,00- defective Laptops. http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-5248097.html
Scott Shepard has posted a request to contact him in reguards to potentially filing a CLASS ACTION lawsuit against Sony for there lousy Laptops and their failure to repair or replace them. I have copied the

NOTICE FROM Scott below:

Scott Shepherd Jun 21, 2004, 05:24 PM Send Message - User Profile - Add Buddy

Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
My firm recently handled successfully the Fujitsu Hard Drive litigation (see settlement website, http://www.hddclassactionsettlement.com). We are investigating claims about Sony Vaio failures, and would welcome any insight any of you forum members could provide.

Scott R. Shepherd
35 East State Street
Media, PA 19063
610-891-9880

I am confident that if enough people contact Scott and agree to participate in a Class Action Suit , IT WILL happen.

Thanks for your time.
Steven Proe

Dimitry Korsunsky Jun 28, 2004, 02:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Another loser...
Well, my GRV-670P is a couple of months out of warranty and, guess what, I have now half the memory for the full price. In fact, I think Sony should adopt this as their new brand message: "With the VAIO G series you get 256MB of RAM for the price of 512!".

Needless to say, I am really annoyed, especially since I am currently in the UK and can't use the various neat repair services people on this site offer. So I am going to have to find a way to fix it myself, I guess. Anyway, I am really curious why the computer industry doesn't institute a recall policy for cases such as this, just like the auto industry does. Otherwise, no more Sony for me, that's for sure, although it must be mentioned to be fair that Sony's approach to laptop LCD quality is superior to Dell's.

Robert Appelboom Jun 28, 2004, 04:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a 2 years old Sony PCG GRX316SP. The first week the 2nd memory bank was broken already. The Sony helpdesk said it was the shops (Dixons) fault as they put in different memory. They repaired it anyway (after some angry calls) and it turned out to be a faulty memory slot. After one year the same issue occured again. The laptop did not even boot anymore after a while. Sony replaced the main board which cost me 800$. Now two years later one memory bank again does not work. On the 1st boot it does not work, after a reboot I have the full 512mb. I will NEVER buy a Sony laptop again.

rick mantle Jun 29, 2004, 05:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got in touch with scott (class action chap) and sadly those of us who bought our paperweights in the UK don't seem to fall under the class action umbrella.
His full reply:
>UK is a problem. We looked at this issue with a barrister in London back when we >brought the Fujitsu matter, but he eventually decided not to do it. Laws similar, >except by and large no class actions in UK.

>Scott Shepherd

Anyone have an idea what we might do instead?

rick

Duncan Green Jun 29, 2004, 09:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
THAT JUST p**sES ME RIGHT OFF!

reading what HP are prepared to do for their customers!

WHO THE FU*K ARE SONY!

A BUNCH OF SH*T FU*KING CR*P WA*KERS NEEDING A GOOD SLAP WITH A WET KIPPER!

Katsu Nakanishi Jun 29, 2004, 05:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,

I had the same memory problem.
I tried the technique Dave Osborne suggested (refer to his article Oct 06, 2003, 01:04 PM),
and it worked for a while but it was found to be unstable in my case.

So I send my laptop to our hero Joe K (aqs12@adelphia.net), and he fixed it perfectly.
I strongly recommend him to all of you. He is always very quick, honest, and skillfull.
---
Katsu

Daniel Persson Jun 29, 2004, 06:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe or Tom, does anyone of you have experience of the GRZ-series? Maybe it is similar to the GRX?

My PCG-GRZ630 was working fine in 6 months then it started freezing. Cleaning the ventilation solved the problem for 3 months. Then it started to freeze again, and more and more often. Now it freezes about 5 minutes from startup, although a cold air fan to its side can help it last 15 min or so. Nobody in Sweden seems to be able to fix it so I was thinking about sending it to US for repair.

What du you think about this? Since its not the typical memory problem, can not Tom or Joe fix it?

Nick Hope Jun 30, 2004, 09:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My tale of GRX woe. I live in Thailand by the way:

COMPUTER A: GRX5P, bought in Hong Kong 8 months ago. It's the 16" screen model with a different name from most of yours'.

1. 5 months from new: DVD drive stopped reading DVD's. Got a new one under warranty from Hong Kong.

2. 10 months from new: Screen showed funny colored blocks then died. Sony fixed it under warranty but I was without my laptop for at least 2 weeks. I think they replaced the screen but I'm not sure that the screen itself was the cause (let me know if you know).

3. 13 months from new: Power supply died. Managed to do a bodged repair. Cable fatigue.

4. 14 months from new: The whole thing died while I was writing an email. No power, no nothing. Took it to a repair shop, switched it on... no problem. Got it back home... dead again. Gave it to Sony Thailand and they replaced the motherboard for 25,000 baht (a few hundred dollars). The whole saga meant I was without my Vaio for 2 months! I don't know if this was down to dodgy memory slots. I doubt it as there was no power light or anything.

5. 18 months from new (TODAY!): Hard drive is knackered. Cannot complete a chkdsk /r and my recovery disks say "sense operation failed". Intending to buy Hitachi 7200RPM to replace it.

Now awaiting impending memory slot problems on the new motherboard.

COMPUTER B: GRX315MP bought in the UK 2 years ago.

1. After 18 months noticed that only 256Mb RAM was showing and not 512Mb. My problem is with slot #1 nearer the fromt of the computer, not slot #2, so it still boots... for now. Will limp along until slot #2 gives up the ghost then send for repair. Incidentally BOTH sticks show up in Aida32 system analysis software, but only 256Mb is in use.

2. After 2 years: The power-on button needs to be repeatedly pressed to get it to start. Sometimes 1st time it works, sometimes it takes a few goes. I am living with this but any suggestions would be welcome!

Looking forward to an impending holiday to New York with my 2 notebooks and spare mobo just so I can visit Joe to get them fixed and avoid the postage and duty.

The moral of the story? Get a Dell!

Joe K Jun 30, 2004, 10:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Dan,

The GRZ series has it's own handful of issues. Some are a little more severe than others. If the compressed air trick worked for a while, then you probably would benefit from a teardown and cleaning of the cooling system. Just today 6/30 we repaired a memory slot condition on an GRZ610. This was I think the 3rd or 4th GRZ that I've seen that had developed the memory slot problem.

All other issues with the GRZ line are related to power and those issues are apparent by "no power" conditions, ect ect.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
J Q Jul 01, 2004, 11:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot - GREAT SOLUTION!
Hi all -

First of all, I just want to say that I am happy that I stumbled across hardwareanalysis.com, and came across this (and other related) thread.

I have a Sony VAIO FX300, which I got in Oct. 2001. Last summer, the cable modem plug stopped working, which I got around by getting a wireless card. This spring, however, the computer would shut down mysteriously. It seemed to lose power even though it was plugged in. I discovered that only by wedging the power cord in the back would it stay on. As the problem got worse, no amount of duct tape, wedging, or clamping with paper clips would make the computer recognize that the cord was plugged in.

It finally died 2 weeks ago. I had done some googling and found that my problem wasn't a unique one, that Sony has terrible customer service, and that they generally charge $700-800 for fixing a problem which seemed to be loose connections on the motherboard. I called around to some computer shops here in NYC, and the cheapest they could fix it was $300-400. I thought of taking it to CompUSA, but they are, from what I've heard, worse than useless. I thought of opening up the back and soldering it myself, but also read that it's a very delicate operation, so I figured I didn't want to fry the motherboard.

Finally, I came across hardwareanalysis.com, and read all of your posts. I read about a guy named Joe Kabalan, with AQS Computer Systems. Other people had seemed to have had good luck with him, so I contacted him, as well as several other places which said they specifically repair Sony laptops. Joe was EXTREMELY prompt in returning my emails: if I sent off an email at midnight, I'd have a reply before I got up the next morning. All of my subsequent emails have been returned within an hour or two of sending them. He sent me reviews and comments that people had sent him (which were all glowing), upon my request. He was extremely polite and responsive, plus he had gotten good reviews, so I figured, "What the hell, my laptop is just a doorstop now anyway," and sent it off to him via Fedex on Monday.

When he received it on Wednesday, he emailed me right away that he had received it, and diagnosed the problem right away: bad connections on the motherboard for the AC pin and the cable modem plug. I also asked him to look at the earphone jack, as that seemed crappy, too. He fixed all 3 problems in less than a day, and charged me only $139. We arranged payment via phone, which was my choice; again, he was very professional and polite. He sent the laptop back to me via Fedex Ground that same night, which only cost an additional $15. I got tracking numbers from him on Thursday, and tracked my package until it arrived first thing Monday at my office.

The laptop now works as good as new. I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with Joe - he was prompt, efficient, courteous, and didn't charge a lot. I am so glad that I found this board, or I would have thought my computer dead forever, or thought it too expensive to be worth fixing. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Joe Kabalan at AQS Computer Systems to anyone else who has problems with their Sony Laptop.

I am putting his information down here so that others don't have to hunt for it like I did:

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Please note: I am not in any way affiliated with Joe, but I am just so happy with the results. There was no way that I could afford to either buy a new computer, nor pay the steep prices at other places, so I am so happy that I found AQS.

Daniel Persson Jul 01, 2004, 01:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the answer Joe!

Well I had my GRZ630 teared down and the cooling system is completely cleaned. I also put some new cupper paste on the CPU. Then it worked two days without freezing even though it got really hot. (Imagine how lucky I was!) But suddenly it started to freeze again and I couldn't let the computer be on for more then 10 minutes before it froze. When it freezes I have to wait about 15 minutes before I can turn it back on. This make me think it is a thermo and cooling system problem?

I really need to get this fixed...

Joe K Jul 01, 2004, 01:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dan,

When you wait 15min to restart it does that mean you have to wait 15 min for it to power on again or 15 min to get a picture on the screen?

"Power on" and the system reaching POST are two different things. POST is seeing the Sony logo when you hit the power button, no "power on" means that the system is dead and no lights come on.

Let me know..

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Daniel Persson Jul 01, 2004, 01:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My power on-led lights up, the fan starts but no picture what so ever, the screen is just black.

Joe K Jul 01, 2004, 01:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dan,

Did you try the applying of pressure on the DIMM slot and then powering on.. ? I suggest you remove one of the memory modules and only work with one slot.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.