Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 664 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:27am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Daniel Persson Jul 01, 2004, 06:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Yes I have tried to run the computer with just one DIMM and also applied pressure on them, but this doesn't help at all. But how much pressure are we talking about? I have tried to put some plastic over the DIMMs and then screwed the door back on so there was quite a lot of pressure I think. I have also tried to put pressure on them with my hands.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
William Reinoso Jul 02, 2004, 07:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Sony VAIO PCG-GRX580 with 512MB RAM (2, 256) and wont boot anymore, I have tried many things like use a band to fix memory modules but now doesn't work. The first symptom, one month ago I lose the 256MB, one week ago won’t boot. I read in this forum all the tricks and I keep it working for this week but since yesterday RIP. I take out the 2, 256 and nothing happens. So I will close this case until I can travel to the States and shipp to JOE. I live in Dominican Republic and if I send to Joe from here I will need to pay tax when he sends it back. My recommendation Never buy a VAIO again!!. Here Sony doesn’t have service to laptops. I have a desktop from Dell and every time I need support I call and they give me support in my home without pay a cent for 3 years!!

William Reinoso
william@verizon.net.do

dennis C Jul 03, 2004, 10:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
everyone, please visit this site http://www.petitiononline.com/sonymem1/petition.html and take part of it by signing. I am very frustrated with my VAIO PCG-GRX580K. It just won't boot because of memory problems. By the way, I stumbled into someone who has a friend who works for the sony customer service center in NJ and I mentioned to him to tell his friend from SONY to check this site and that it is true that this problem exist.

I will post anything that I'll find out about this issue.

dennis

dennis C Jul 03, 2004, 10:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ok, it is me again. I'm thinking of mentioning this problem to PC magazine so they can do an expose of SONY and see how that company's reputation goes downhill from there. How about asking a friend who works at a broadcasting station to get into this? We all need to protest. Someone has mentioned on having a rally infront of Best Buy or circuit city with plackard with anti-sony sentiments like "If it doesn't boot-up, it must be SONY, " "you must remove the memory stick first before it can boot up, " and so on and so on and the grand finale of them all "DON'T BUY SONY."

Sorry i'm just really frustrated with my GRX-580K.

dennis

Joe K Jul 03, 2004, 11:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dan,

Because you're still getting power and no POST, and pressure on the DIMM slot does not produce results, although we still cannot rule out a memory slot problem, I would have to guess you may have a damaged CPU. This may also be a voltage problem, but most voltage problems with the GRZ line result in a "no power" condition.

If you have access to a desktop P4 CPU, you may want to try and replace the CPU. The GRZ series have a serious cooling problem. Debris buildup in the cooling system components for the CPU drastically reduces the system cooling system's ability to maintain efficient heat removal from the CPU. There is a separate thread here on this site entitled (I have a GRZ530 and it sucks) or something to that effect.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Nick Hope Jul 05, 2004, 01:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My GRX5P died on me completely after 15 months. When I pressed the power button I got nothing at all, no green LED and no noises. It woke up and behaved normally in a repair shop, but then died again when it got home. Sony replaced the motherboard but not the CPU and now it's working fine.

I would expect to still get an LED and some noise if the RAM slots were to blame. My question is... Could this problem be failure of the RAM slots?

raid loot Jul 05, 2004, 11:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guys,
I have the same problem. I would just recommend signing that petition posted in this thread before, and file a complaint with the BBB (http://www.bbb.com). Also I would recommend emailing and phoning Sony to give them a nice harsh tirade. Also let us start a class action suit here in the US against them. Can someone start it?

Thanks
WK

Tom M'Guinn Jul 07, 2004, 12:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Add one more PCG-GRX550 Vaio to defective list. I purchased it at Comp USA in May 2002. Mine refused to boot for the last week or so (no screen, power light only after brief spin of the hard disk). A local computer repair guy tried swapping the memory chips, but that did no good. He told me the motherboard was bad, and that Sony would charge $700 to fix under their "fixed price" repair service. I was ready to buy a new laptop when I found this thread. I tried pressing down on both memory unit, and to my amazement, the thing booted right up like a charm. I have wedged some electrical tape under the cover to keep the memory pressed down for now -- which is working so far. I am a reasonably good solderer with normal components, and am wondering if I might be able to tackle the surface mount solder joints? I imagine they are too small, but perhaps its worth a look-see. Anyone else successfully do it on their own? Tips? If nothing else, the Internet is an amazing thing. 10 years ago, there is no way I would have found this info. Thanks to all who posted.

Martin Hapner Jul 08, 2004, 08:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 09, 2004, 09:41am EDT

Never Mind...

Young-Jin Ro Jul 09, 2004, 02:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi. I have a same problem with you guys.. Mine is GRX 550 which I bought June 2001.

It has been working fine.. Then one day in June, it did not boot... I also called SONY customre service, then they approximately called $800 for the repair. (how much would be the value of my laptop? $600? $700 ?)

Anyway, I am so glad that I found this site, and get lots of information.. I did a press-test which was suggested by Joe, and amazingly when I preess memory part, it boots!

Now, I put two credit card between memory part and it's case, so that it could give more firm pressure on memory part, and it is working fine.. However, I am not sure whether it is safe to do that for long term.. What do you think of it guys?

Jul 11, 2004, 09:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Help anyone!
Tried the Shrink-wrap paper soln,under the RAM module.Actually put there aluminium foil,fine becoz a plastic separator btn mbd and memory module,i thought.Well actually now,my PCG-GRZ610 just still doesn't boot, but now no sign of life!The Power LED doesn't light up and no sign of life at all.Is this what happens when the memory gets fried?Or is it something else.THANK YOU SONY for all this disturbance.
Pse anyone help if you even gotten into this kinda situation

Tom Pappas Jul 11, 2004, 03:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
WARNING! Putting aluminum foil inside a computer may be hazardous to your electronics.

You might want to try plugging one memory module in each slot in turn and applying a little pressure to it as you power up. If the HDD light flashes and the power light stays on, the machine might be salvageable.

Ollie R Jul 12, 2004, 09:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Have just been reading this thread and others I found on Google. My Vaio FX505 experienced the shutdown problem last week. It would boot for all of a few seconds and then cut out. From what I've read, it seems that some sources say it is to do with the heat sensors in the motherboard and others are having problems with memory.

With mine, I think it was a heat thing. As it is two and a half years old, I took it apart and got rid of all the dust. I disassembled the heatsink and fan and gave it a good clean. I then re-attached the heat sink using some thermal grease (Arctic silver). This seemed to solve the problem completely and it is now booting up and working as it did before.

Obviously, my fix is unlikely to solve everyone's problems, but I thought I would share it as it seemed to solve mine and is dead simple to do.

Carrie Bennetti Jul 13, 2004, 06:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

We have a PDG-GRZ610 and after about a year and a couple of months we noticed that the memory in slot 2 (that we had just recently bought) was not showing up. Many times we took it out and reinserted it. Finally was sent it back to the company we bought it from and they sent a new one. same problem. Then the BIG freeze up started and got worse and worse until we couldn't start the computer. We called Sony, who would not help us because we were no longer under warranty. We also took it to Best Buy - they didn't know what to do - thought it was the motherboard

After a week of reloading the hard drive, reformating (in between freez-ups) we were about to throw it away, maybe use the 40 gigs of harddrive or anything else that may be usable. We were not going to pay the $700 that Sony wanted to fix it. We were going to purchase another brand of laptop and be done with this problem

And then we found this site and found all of you guys with the same problem! We took out the electrical tape and made sure the memory in the #1slot was in tight and it worked!!! we were so happy. The number 2 slot did not work at all.

We sent Joe Kabaln and e-mail and he answered it by morning. We sent it in, he fixed it and it was back quickly and it is working like new!!! Thank you for all your postings or we would have tossed this computer. We called Sony a couple of more times, making sure we spoke to a manager here in the USA. Total denial on their part and now I have to stop buying Sony products because they do not stand behind their products. We told them a bout all these postings and the manager said, "do you believe everything you read on the internet?" They know because all of you told them before we ever called.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

716-832-2473

Thanks Joe!!!

Angelo and Carrie Bennetti One in Messiah Congregation

http://makestraightthewayofthelord.org

Joe K Jul 13, 2004, 11:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Angelo and Carrie,

Thank you for the kind words! Thank you to everyone else also, it's our pleasure to serve you.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services

Joe Kabalan
Preston Lewis Jul 14, 2004, 11:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi.

I noticed that there is quite a problem going around with VAIOs. Well, I have a VAIO PCG-GRX670, and mine is having issues as well. A little different than the few described before, but issues nevertheless. My Sony boots and loads windows, but then after a short while, I receive a blue error screen, that vary in messages from:

Beginning Physical Memory Dump
Bad Boot Sector
Kernel Stack Inpage Error
(others I cant recall)

...I then have to force shutdown the computer. After a few times of getting these messages I decided to format the computer. When formatting, Windows XP wouldnt recognize my hard drive as a valid partition and wouldnt install. I finally got XP to recognize it, I installed the OS, and I keep receiving the same messages.

Could this be the same problems everyone else is having (memory issues) or is it a bad hard drive? I was about to just buy a new hard drive until i stumbled upon this thread, and now im not to sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciative!!!

Preston Lewis Jul 14, 2004, 11:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is an addition to the post I left above.

I just received another message just as I booted my machine,

"SMART detected error on hard drive 0, Toshiba (some numbers)"

"Immiediate back up of data is reccommended"

"Failure could be imminent"

"F1 to continue..."

What can you take from that?

Steven Proe Jul 14, 2004, 11:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi: I have a similar problem, yes it is, the soldering is also the fault of other problems with
the Motherboard, these include the problems with my notebook, their is a
heat sink problem on the PCG-GRX, and other models. These include the
telephone ports and the ATI Video chips coming loose. I have read all of
these problems were the cause of a defect in the machinery used to solder
the Motherboards. This includes misalignment of the parts that are soldered
onto the motherboards and insufficient amounts of solder being used.
I have sent my laptop to Joek. for a analysis and previously to another store to check. They both have stated that it is the mothernoard and even Joe k. was unable to repair mine. I am waiting until the posible class action suit goes foward, I have already signed up as a complaint. joe K. didn't have a source for a replacement motherboad, a month a change ago.
hth
Steven

Joe K Jul 14, 2004, 11:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sounds like your Hard Drive is on the way out.. or close to it...

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Joe K Jul 14, 2004, 11:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Steve,

Are you still in need of a replacement motherboard? If my memory serves me correct, I thought Sony was going to take care of this?

Contact me, I do have limited replacements here.

Thanks,

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.