Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 750 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:37am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Brian Lew Aug 03, 2004, 03:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?

That once meant quality. A quality you could depend on. A name that stood behind its products.

In an apparent effort to abandon and alienate its customers Sony is now developing disposable computers, any doubts and one look at this forum should be enough to convince even staunch Sony supporters.

After many experiences with Sony products that seem to fail soon after the warranty period expires I can only suspect that this is a DESIGN GOAL. This includes Walkman's, stereo CD units, PC CD-R units, HandiCams, VAIO notebook computers, Trinitron televisions, and many other seemingly working systems which mysteriously fail due to a single flaw.

I hereby pledge to STOP supporting these failure prone products and BOYCOTT Sony's restrictive, proprietary systems.

I REFUSE to purchase ANY Sony products, INCLUDING BLANK MEDIA, until Sony recognizes and addresses their design failures and flaws in their notebook computers and provides a support solution or repair program for existing owners with dead machines.

"It's a Sony." This means you can DEPEND on it failing RIGHT after the warranty expires.

"It's a Sony." This means you can expect tech support to shrug you off or demand ridiculous fees for repair.

"It's a Sony." No WONDER it doesn't WORK! aaaaaahhahahahaha!!! Sucker.

Join the Sony Boycott! http://forum.asiaco.com/vaiosux/

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jeremy Marsh Aug 04, 2004, 12:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi.

Not really wanting to defend Sony but they have taken my machine. Sorted the memory holders and the main fan which needed cleaning to prevent some overheating. They collected and returned it, repaired it for the equivalent of about $ 120. OK they were 3 weeks not 2 but it does seem to be working. Having explained the problem, pretty assertively, they did not charge me the enquiry fee either. Overall it could have been worse especially given that the machine was bought in April 2002 and is used 10 hours a day.

Paul Astbury Aug 05, 2004, 07:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The curse of the c**p Sony Viao has struck me down. It was a great little laptop for the 18 months it worked !! But now it is a excellent door stop if a little pricey.
I have stripped the machine down and it looks like a couple of ic's on the motherboard have snuffed it.
I cannot believe the amount of problems with this PCG FX702 range and Sony have done jack to resolve it.

Well I can tell you that Sony can shove their laptops and I will stick with Dell like this old one that has been going for 3 years now.

Anyone thought of starting a campain against Sony in regards to the Vaio and product recall ??

Bob Stekeur Aug 05, 2004, 08:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just bought a 50" lcd projection tv and if it had not been for the fact I got screwed on my sony Vio, I would have bought a Sony TV. Sorry Sony, you loose! I got a Hitachi

swapnil p Aug 06, 2004, 02:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had a similar complaint, and sent an email to sony support. In reply to the email, they sent me a link to their database article:

http://129.33.22.7/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=907,E=0000000...obj(139425),TS=External,UseTemplate=response_case.tem

the article is completely useless, and doesnot mention anywhere what the original symptom (orignal sony RAM from samsung ) is having trouble staying in the bay.

As usual the article suggested that my laptop needs a $600 service.

If i keep the memory cover open and keep the ram pushed inside, the computer stays normal, but as soon as i takeoff the hand, the computer power is cut.

I will definately follow up on the previous user replies, and file complaints to all the abovementioned websites.

swapniL

Paul Astbury Aug 08, 2004, 05:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all Sony sufferers

One thing I have done is contact BBC watchdog, in the UK they have done a hell of a lot for people that have been shafted by a manufacturer ie the got the Peugeot car problems turned into a recall etc etc.
If we all get together and let the BBC attack Sony on our behalf then it will be publisised on tv and at the very least Sony will be on tv accounting for their actions or inactions. Sony have still not contacted me back so I told watchdog, at best they will push Sony into making good the laptops that have failed or started to display the problems just outside the warranty period.

So let unite and let them have it !!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/

Ekrem Sarac Aug 08, 2004, 11:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 11, 2006, 09:29pm EDT

>> Re
i had the same problem , one of the memory slots is duff , i called the tech support asking if it s a common issue , he said no , what a bull , i m sure he knew that everybody is so p**sed off with this thing , i paid $ 2000 for this garbage when i bought , it should be recalled , anyway , i did my own fix , i refreshed half of the solders of the faulty slot , i just remelted the existing solders on the solders of slot , i did one side only , couldnt reach the other site , it s narrow , but it worked by just resoldering one side so i didnt push my luck further since these things are delicate s**t , normally u are not supposed to do such thing , it s been working ok so far , before when i hook up the ram to the faulty slot it didnt work at all , right now it freezees sometimes , maybe once in 3 days , but what can u do , i cant pay another 1000 dolar to those thieves for the mother board replacement , i guess it s better than throwing this thing away , if it works another 3 years like that i m more than happy , i learned my lesson , sony computers sucx big time .

Kelly Close Aug 09, 2004, 03:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Not that this thread needs to be any longer, sheesh, but since I'm also having the "won't boot" thing w/ my Vaio GRX560, just thought I'd throw in a short post. I have also signed the petition (I was number 415!!) and will send an e-mail to Scott Shepherd...anyone seeing anything with that?? Thanks, everyone who has participated, for this forum. I was lucky enough to run across it almost as soon as I started to search.

Kelly

JLC JLC Aug 10, 2004, 09:02am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all.

I am so glad I found this forum. But I still not able to fix the problem on my laptop.
I have a PCG-505 DL that I bought in the US 2years or something a go. I have the problem of the laptop shutting down randomly for at least one years (sometime having the killing blue screen). So I recently changed the HD as each time it was shutting down I was earring a little spring sound. I did work for few days, and shut down again, with not reason. So U put a other HD, but still not start up. I read something about batteries problem, having to unplug the cmos batteries. Still not working. Thinking the MB was dead I found this forum on google, and still reading the treads. But yesterday night I opened the laptop to see the memories, so I took out the keyboard, and found out that there is just one 128mb memory the other one is on the MB. So I took out the memories and was able to boot, download emails and everything (slowly, but surely). I said Iíll give a test, I reinstalled the memory back, try to boot, nothingÖ So I took gain the memory out thinking that 128mb would be OK for now, and Iíll buy 512 or something later. Unfortunately even without the memory it doesnít boot anymore L. What can I do? Does somebodyís having problem with this kind of laptop?

Thanks for your help.
JLC

Scott Shepherd Aug 11, 2004, 09:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My firm last month filed a class action lawsuit against Sony Electronics concerning the Vaio defect. As part of the lawsuit, we are creating a database of potential class members, problems, etc. There will be a website where you can register in a while, but in the meantime if any of you are interested, send me an e-mail (sshepherd@classactioncounsel.com) and we will include you on a database of potential class members. Include the model of your computer, your city and state (the lawsuit applies only to US residents, although I will forward any Canadian inquiries to a lawyer in Canada who handles these sorts of matters. There seem to be many people on this site from the UK, but I am not aware of any proceedings there), and the nature of the problem you have experienced.

Scott R. Shepherd
Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah, LLC
35 East State Street
Media, PA 19063
http://www.classactioncounsel.com

Joe Lewis Aug 11, 2004, 08:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just thought I would put in my 2 cents. Same problem I just sent an email to Scott R. Shepherd's firm. Thank goodness someone is trying to help. I was going to try small clams. I have model PCG-GRX570.
Joe
Brstar@aol.com

rick mantle Aug 12, 2004, 10:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi fellow victims.
joe k has another supporter in me.
Having contributed to and followed this thread for a while, and even tried my own home repair on the slots (didn't work, very fiddly and a steady hand is needed). As the motherboard was out of the case already I decided to send it and ram to joe k for testing. He sorted it out promptly and within ten days I had motherboard back. And I live in the UK so you have to add afew days either side for shipping (via royal mail parcel service). total cost was £82 all in. You simply cannot beat that.

when it came back I re-assembled everything and booted it up to find it solidly running on the full ram. I booted it up several times and wiggled and shook it to all hell and gone and it kept playing mp3's the whole time without a hitch (except for in between boots of course). Since then I have brought it back to work (in a club) where it gets subjected to lots of vibration and movement. worked a whole evening shift perfectly. I am back in business and very happy to have found this thread and joe k.

thanks joe

rick

Joe Teck Aug 16, 2004, 03:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony laptops are crap
We have been purchasing Sony Laptops for about 4 years now. I have determained it is a hardware issue due to heat. I find it hard to believe it is a memory slot gone bad. EVERY LAPTOP, have only one socket failing? Come on. The same socket on every laptop, the one closes to the back of the laptop would be the bad socket. So I wanted to let everyone know that I have called Ethan Shaw, the winning athorney with the Toshiba class action suit. I will need everyone's help in this matter. The goal here is to have them agree it is a design flaw and fix it and or have every laptop re-called and repaired or replace with a working laptop. We all thought we bought the best laptop on the market...Hence the word....thought... Thanks.

Joeteck

Tom Pappas Aug 16, 2004, 04:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mr. Teck -

I have fixed several hundred Vaios having various problems. True, there is an overheating issue, which is mostly due to inadequate provision for thermal dissipation, and can be corrected by improving it.

But about half of the machines I get have one or more faulty SODIMM sockets, and work fine once I have replaced them. Whether their failure is heat-related is a matter of conjecture (I suspect it is).

Best of luck,

Tom P

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Joe Teck Aug 16, 2004, 05:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just looked at my PCG-FX370 socket under a high power microscope and found a few cold solder joints. A tipical result of Hot, cold, hot cold senerio. I just wondering why Sony would ship broken laptops? and then slap another $300 fee to repair them.. Funny right?? Almost looks like they're doing this deliberatly. I'm really surprised that as big sony is, that they should try to fix this before it gets real ugly. The athorny Ethan Shaw should be calling me back shortly in regards to this. I will need the list of the hundreds of laptops you have repaired, as we will need this for the law suit.

Joeteck

Veeraraghavan Seshadri Aug 16, 2004, 09:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Another Frustated Sony Customer.
Just wanted to include my problem here. I guess its same as what others are complaining about. My laptop (PCG-NV170, purchased around one and a half years back) froze while i was working. On restarting, nothing came up on screen (Power was there). The bios began to act funny, it randomly came up( Most of the time nothing came up). I thought it was BIOS battery problem, but i found out this forum before playing with bios battery. Well i took interest to see if Memory was the culprit . Well unfortunately i got the same problem as everyone in this forum. One of the memory slot has gone bad (Both my Memory cards are working fine).

Any way i have send a e-mail to Scott Shepered firm (sshepherd@classactioncounsel.com) to include me in there database. Hope something good comes up for all frustated SONY customers.

Joe Lewis Aug 17, 2004, 05:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? - Anyone try small claims court yet
I am thinking of trying small claims court, it should only take about 3 weeks to get on the docket, if Sony does not send some lawyer they will loose,
any thoughts anyone ?
Joe

Joe Teck Aug 17, 2004, 12:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You don't do small clains court for this.... This problem is world wide....

Marian Burciu Aug 17, 2004, 01:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to add myself on the long list with Vaio boot problems.

I own a GRX 520 and yes, I had the same problem with bad memory slot. I swithced my 256 on the second slot and it's working fine (for now).

Regards,

Marian

JLC JLC Aug 18, 2004, 06:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot PCG-505 DL ?
Sorry to come back on this, but did somebody had problems with the PCG-505 DL line of laptop? I have similars problems, and would like to see what can be done to fix it.
Thanks.
JLC

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.