Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1097 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:01am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Amit Shaligram Nov 14, 2003, 11:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
I have managed to get the laptop to work by using the other memory slot. I am using the memory slot on the front side of the laptop.
it has been working ok since yesterday.

one needs to push the memories in a little more than usual.

-Amit

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
ANURAG SOBTI Nov 17, 2003, 07:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Laptop had same problem, didnt start on many attempts. I too had added the 256MB RAM in the other slot to upgrade it to 512 MB. It was working fine April 2003 but the problem started in October, today I found this website link and removed the second 256 MB RAM that I had added later on and it has started now let see if it breaks down again or not. Also I just started the laptop using the new ram in the slot 1, yes I removed the original RAM and now its the new one thats inside !! Now as a last part of experiment, I had taken out the second one and have inserted the original one in the slot 1, slot 2 is empty !!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING THE PROBLEM & ITS SOLUTION !!

Anurag

Marc Larosiliere Nov 18, 2003, 02:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This really sucks
im having this same problem as evryone else
i tried the memory thing but it didnt work
im going to try it again
we need to get something started so sony can fix our PCs for free
cause i called them of course the first thing they said was that my warranty was up
and i have to pay to get the PC fix, the guy i spoke didnt even try to see if something else could be causing the problem he was just like unplug ur computer plug it back in take out the battery and put it back in
did that fix the problem no OK send it to us.....with me being in the computer field i took that as a great insult................
i dont like that my main thing about the computer people is the customer service u have to do certain
things so ur costumer can be happy and i paid to much for this computer not to work
im goin to call them again and again until someone speak to me and tell me to send my PC in
to get fix for free or i get another one cause this isnt our fault
if anyone has any other ideas on what to do to help
feel fre to email me
cause ive tried everything short of taking the computer apart
this is the suckiest
problem ive ever come across.....
i was thinking about getting that new sony Z1 that came out
but now i think ill take my money where i know what i paid for is
what i get.................

marclarosiliere@yahoo.com

Lonney Self Nov 19, 2003, 12:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you all so much. You saved me alot of time and money. I have a Sony PCG-FX340 and had the problems mentioned above concerning not booting. I changed my ram chip from the back slot(the way it came) to the front slot and like magic problem solved. SONY=SUX

I also have a toshiba tercra that is old and slow but never had any where near the trouble I have had from this piece of @#$%. I own several Sony products and have always thought of them as great ones, this vio however has been "dificult" from the begining.

This one is for sale starting now, it will be on E-bay tomorrow(while it works). If anyone would like to pursue a site flaming Sony for this Crap I will give the server space if someone want to build the content.

Again Thanx for the site and feedback from you all.............

MediaMan/mymedianetworks.com

uli rauch Nov 20, 2003, 06:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HI,
I followed the advice of Dave Osborne? and my VAIO has allof a sudden 512 megs again. In other words, the repair by pressing down the memory chip with the cover and some padding did work. Very obliged to all you victims who have gone and searched solutions ... this is looking very bad on Sony,
Greetings,
uli

Silver Ecco Nov 22, 2003, 12:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 22, 2003, 12:14am EST

Hi,

I have just bought an old sony PCG-XG9 for thirty bucks from a computer "dumb" person whom thought that the fact that it wasn't booting up was a major malfunction. Well I thought otherwise. I double checked it and the motherboard seems ok. So I bought it and messed around with it abit, but I think something is wrong with the AC port on the back of the VAIO. BTW I tried a form of the shrink wrap method and the taking out the second RAM module but I don't think that's a problem, because it didn't work and so far that only worked in the GRX models.

any suggestions?

Mark Edwards Nov 23, 2003, 10:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same problem with PCG-FX290.
The second memory slot has "died" after about 2 years operation.
Each RAM chip works fine in the first slot, but not in the second.
Having read the previous posts, it seems that Sony is no longer interested in repeat customers.
I suggest that we oblige them.

Bob Stekeur Nov 27, 2003, 09:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well here's another grx550 that can be added to the trash heap! After spending nearly 2000 dollars on a computer, I have to resort to stuffing trash under the memory cover to make it work. I depend on my laptop and now I can't rely on it working anymore. I would also be happy to join in on a Class action suit.

Marc Larosiliere Dec 02, 2003, 12:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey everyone
SEND ur PCS back to sony
call customer support first and tell them what going on with ur PC
u have to really be angry before u call and if u paid 20000 for ur PC u should be
i called the other day and now they have my PC..
even if its of the warranty call then start ^^%^^&ing they that will make them fix the problem
hey ill even call for u guys......
lets me know what they say to u when u do call ........

Lonney Self Dec 03, 2003, 02:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 03, 2003, 03:07am EST

Hello Fellow Sony victims,

After my issue and having several clients experience this same trouble with thier vaio's and finding this group(many thanx) I was motivated to do something.

As it happens I was just awarded the hosting and developement contract for my local bar association. In getting their site running I mentioned this topic to the Lawyer I am working with said he will file the class action if we can get between 25 and 40 people whom have the same problem or a problem that can be related to it.

I have three local clients whom I know directly and we will be filing if we can get others involved. Only 5 are needed to file but he said if we didnt have closer to the 40 number we woulnd really have a chance.

So I will be putting together a website to support the case and ask anyone whom has been affected by this to contact me and help find other that Sony has ripped off. We will also be forming a webring to spread the word about this issue and how Sony has handled it.

Please get in touch with me if you were directly affected(the sony owner) or if you want to help. I will need to get your mailing info so you can fill out the required forms to create the class. We will have to work together to put a stop to this type trade practice please get in touch a.s.a.p.

HELP ME FIND 100 OTHERS AND WE HAVE A GREAT CASE........THANX TO YOU ALL

Lonney Self

lonney@mymedianetworks.com
or
lonneyself@comcast.net

Thomas DeRosa Dec 03, 2003, 03:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Has anyone been able to get Sony to stand behind their product?

I am having the same problem as everyone here and Sony wanted suggested that I send the computer into their San Diego repair facility. I would be responsible for shipping and an estimated bill of 649.00 + S&H. The computer would be at their facility for 10 business days.

I started looking on the web for a replacement MB when I found this forum.

Bob Stekeur Dec 03, 2003, 08:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I priced motherboards arount the $695 range, almost not worth it

John Munro Dec 04, 2003, 03:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Take the hit and forget the attempted repairs to the memory slot
Hi I posted a month ago said I was using the "insulating tape on the back of the memory cover" repair and all was well. Since then its been all down hill, blue screens of death all over the place. Removed the memory from the slot two weeks ago and have never had an error since. Just use the one 256 chip now. its slower but at least its working. What else can we do?

John Munro Dec 04, 2003, 03:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Take the hit and forget the attempted repairs to the memory slot
Hi I posted a month ago said I was using the "insulating tape on the back of the memory cover" repair and all was well. Since then its been all down hill, blue screens of death all over the place. Removed the memory from the slot two weeks ago and have never had an error since. Just use the one 256 chip now. its slower but at least its working. What else can we do?

John D Dec 04, 2003, 10:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same exact problem here too.

Sony vaio pcg-grx550 notebook.

I've been trouble shooting this for a while, glad to fine this board.

I called Sony and they said that it could be a bad memory chip, so i went and bought a new one, 512 chip to put in slot 1, no luck. I was think this whole time that slot 2 was not working and the power supply was shot...i paid over $2000 bucks for this to only spend so much time trouble shooting it with no good advice from Sony.

I did what was earlier suggested with the heat shrink-wrap, but i don't know where to get that, so i put a few business cards instead. can that cause a fire? ...put back the old memory that came pre-installed and it booted up. This was as far i have been able to get without it freezing. After 30min it took a dump, maybe not enough presser - the bottom part of the computer, where the memory is, was really hot, not sure if that is normal.

I'm going to call Sony again to try to get them to fix this problem, anyone else had any luck with getting there laptop fixed, from Sony after the warranty ran out? Send me an email if that Class action ever happens.

R Stewart Dec 05, 2003, 07:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I appreciate the dialog on this subject. I have had my Sony for about 2 years when I started to have various problems, unable to boot, screen going blank after a successful boot, disk check hanging up, and fatal disk errors. Removing the mem ship from position 2 solved the problem and reinstalling the chip, using heat shrink between the chips, allowed for full system normality. It is refreshing to find information that fixes the problem the first time. Thought I was going to need another hard drive. Thanks to all.

Joe K Dec 05, 2003, 08:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 14, 2004, 02:08pm EDT

Hello everyone,

Due to the overwhelming email response concerning the repair of this condition, I've decided to simply post the cost of the repair, this way I'm hoping only people seriously interested in the repair will contact me.

We charge $149.00 plus $15 return shipping for the repair of both SODIMM slots in the GRX series.

Please feel free to contact me directly at the number or email below. Turn around time is usually 2 - 3 business days. All major credit cards are accepted as well as Paypal.

Thank you,

Joe K

aqs12@adelphia.net

AQS Computer Services
716-832-2473

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Richard T Dec 08, 2003, 06:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am absolutely grateful to have stumbled onto this site. Thanks to all of those who have taken the time to actually post these problems and provide trouble shooting information or in this case "work arounds".

I am an IT professional that has been dealing with these EXACT same issues while currently working for a large corporation. We use Sony VIAO extensively at our Southern California site. One of my functions is to provide laptop support. I use to assume that my users were "mistreating" or improperly mis-handling their Sony Viao's.............Now I know that this is not the case and I have to eat some crow and make apologies to a few of my end users. ( don't worry, I'll send them this link). Furthermore, I am going to strongly (vehemently) recommend that future laptop purchase will no longer include SONY.

So far I have experianced these issues on three (3) models. One is a PCG-NV170P (PCG-9D6L), another is a PCG-V505BCP and the other a PCG-V505ACP.

Nearly all three of these models were sent into the Sony Repair facility for repair. In some cases they were under warranty but otherwise $$$. If I hadn't researched this a bit further and found this site, then yet another Sony Viao would have been sent back in for repair!!!!!!!!!! (and not fixed properly).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initially, I thought there was a problem with the BIOS or even a password lock on the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) because they would not even P.O.S.T. (Power On Self Test). In layman's terms there was no output (display) to the screen to hit F2 key or ESC/Fn keys or worse when I hit the F2 key I would get the "entering setup" message but then it would just hang there, locked up. So I researched known Sony Viao BIOS bugs........as follows:
10.2.1 Sony Vaio laptop bugs
Bug
Sony Vaio's with built-in eepro100 ethernet can hang on warm reboot.
Solution
If this happens to you, power off completely.It is possible that this was fixed in 2.4.16.
Bug
Sony Vaio's hang half way through warm reboot if the PCMCIA CDROM was removed during reboot.
Solution
Same as above: power off completely and try again. This is probably a BIOS bug.
Bug
Some Vaio's lock up if screen is unblanked within 4 seconds of blanking.
Solution
Don't do that. (The SR series are apparently not affected.) This is almost definitely a BIOS bug.
Bug
Since pressing the power switch and closing laptop lid (on Vaio) can be used to suspend the laptop, doing both causes an extra suspend immediately after the first resume.
Solution
If you're going to close the lid anyway, don't suspend the laptop first. Let the action of closing the lid do that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NONE OF THIS HELPED EITHER!!!!!
In the case of the PCG-NV170P there were (2) two 256MB Memory Modules installed, and each was made by two different companies. As a test, I removed both memory sticks and tried just to boot using battery power only but without any memory. (you can do this with desktop PC's, i.e., and at least get into the BIOS but get errors during POST regarding the missing memory).
I expected to see something to output (display) to the screen and hit F2 keys.......but I guess you can't do that with a SONY :-(.

I then put in one of the 256 memory modules in (right slot) and booted up with battery and it worked!! I then shut it down and put the 256 memory modules in (left slot) and booted up with battery and it worked!!
(I did this with each memory stick).

SO..............I then shut it down and put the (2) two 256 memory modules in (left slot and right) and booted up with battery and it worked.............(or so I thought!) Thinking........... I had fixed a loose memory module problem, I gleefully gave the laptop back to the owner and tried to boot it up on his desk. To my amazement and embarrassment, the DAMN thing didn't boot.

CONCLUSION: There seems to be issues with mixing memory between different memory manufacterers on some Sony Viao laptops. Also the memory slots DO NOT seat the memory modules correctly all the time.

In the case of the PCG-V505BCP:

There was only one 256MB memory module and I tried to move it around from memory slot to memory slot. BUT THIS DID NOT WORK.

I pulled the battery out, disconnect the AC Adapter and let the PCG-V505BCP set for three days........Came in on a Monday morning.......connected AC Adapter and battery and THE DAMN THING BOOTED UP!!!

Conclusion: If you want a SONY laptop then leave it on 24/7? Do not power it off? Well ain't that special. My best guess would be a correlation between the motherboard's voltage regulator overheating or some "trickle-charging" .......like a heat exchange between some components.

Any body have any other ideas?

ROY G Dec 08, 2003, 06:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
http://www.kahlon.com try this site for upgrades on laptops.

Natalie Le-Cong Dec 11, 2003, 02:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I own a Sony Vaio PCG-GRX550 and am experiencing the same problem with the memory slot # 2. My laptop refused to boot and after finding this site, I was able to correct the problem via removing the memory. I paid a lot of money for this laptop and I am upset that I recieved inferior goods. I had 512MB of RAM but now it is reduced to 256MB of RAM.

I'd be interested in being a part of this law suit if anything happens.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.