Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1175 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:44pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Josh J Aug 18, 2004, 07:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Chalk up another one for Sony. Another notebook just bit the dust: a GRX570, my baby. I can't believe they keep denying that this is a real problem. I've spent the past three hours reading this thread - all 21 pages of it. I'm going to try to get that soldering fixed. Perhaps my computer will thrive once again. Good luck to all else.

Josh

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jimmy Burns Aug 19, 2004, 05:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does this only happen on the GRX series? I have a PCG-GRZ610 that just started doing the same thing this week. It takes 3-6 attempts to get it booted. Once it boots it works fine. If I restart or it goes into hybernation it will not restart and I have to shut it down and try several times before it boots again.

Oh, and like others, it is just at a little over one year old.

Joe K Aug 19, 2004, 06:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Jim,

No, this is not limited to the GRX series Vaios. We have repaired this memory slot problem on the following models.

PCG-FX, PCG-GRX, PCG-GRZ, PCG-GRS and PCG-GRV also one case of the PCG-GRT.

We have on rare occasion repaired this problem on the PCG-NV series as well, but it's not very common.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Jason Straight Aug 19, 2004, 06:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's the solder joints, I've got 2 GRX-570's and my symptoms were not exactly the same - not every time anyway. Sometimes I would boot and noticed I had only 256M of RAM instead of 512M. Which gave me the clue that memory or a slot was bad. I pulled 1 stick and tried it in both slots, when in the 2nd slot I had no boot. Putting some pressure on the socket connector (the white part) fixed the problem. So I knew there was a bad connection. I got a magnifying glass and exacto knife and started wiggling solder joints on the RAM slot connector where it connects to the mainboard and found a few loose ones. Heated up the soldering iron and nearly went blind soldering that tiny stuff but both machines work now.

I would say SONY has a manufacturers defect here, my first laptop I wrote that problem off to rough handling - too much other stuff in my bag putting pressure on it just right. But the second laptop I got later had a much more gentle life and it STILL happened.

So if you want the problem fixed, either get your soldering iron ready or get someone who can do tiny soldering. All I had to do was re-heat the connectors and sink them into the existing solder - no new solder was added.

Tom Pappas Aug 20, 2004, 12:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jason -

You are lucky to have had the "easy to fix" problem. Other failures include:

The contacts themselves have lost their elasticity, or

The plastic part of the socket has cracked from the heat and pressure.

And this may be as good a time as any to caution people against trying to re-solder the tiny connections (there are 400 of them in most machines) without adequate tools and skill. I have received a number of machines that had been ineptly soldered, and there was nothing I could do - the mother boards had to be written off. If you don't possess both the equipment and experience repairing extremely small printed circuits, don't essay to learn the requisite technique on your $2000 Vaio.

Tom P

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Bill Brasky Aug 20, 2004, 11:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
wow, finally made it through 21 pages. curiously i found no feedback on tom pappas. not doubting your skills, but i wonder if anyone sent their laptop to him instead of joe k. i ask because im on the west coast and id rather have my comp stay on the westsdie for speed and price of shipping. please let me know you experience with pappas and vaioshutdown.com

neil

Bill Brasky Aug 21, 2004, 12:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
actually i answered my own question.

the guestbook at http://www.vaioshutdown.com shows that Tom has a good track record.
So off goes my vaio to get a new lease on life

Dennis Turi Aug 21, 2004, 01:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same problem different day. I have a PCG NV170 bought it 9/17/02 on 9/26/03 it quit working, couldn't get it to boot up. Called Sony, sorry your out of warranty, sounds like mother board $795 but since your just out of warranty we will repair it for $645. I went and bought a Apple Powerbook G4, the Sony has been setting in the top of my closet. I ran across this web site this evening, after reading a few post. I went and got my Sony out of the closet. Open the memory door, removed the 256 memory card from bay 2 and low and behold my Sony started working again. I just wish I had found this site about a year ago, I would be $2500 richer. If there a class action law suit, I want to be part of it.

Nina Bauer Aug 23, 2004, 10:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yet another victim!

I bought my Sony GRX-570 in July 2002, and it died as of yesterday, Aug. 22, 2004. Just made it past its second birthday.

Unfortunately, none of the tricks for a temporary fix seem to work with mine, so that right now I'm worrying about getting my data off it... The hard drive seems to be jammed, I can't get it out and plug it into some other computer to save my data.

Has anybody heard of a repair shop in Europe or even Germany, so that I wouldn't have to send my computer across the Atlantic?

And it seems like I can't even join the class suit, given that I'm a German citizen, even though I bought my computer in the US. Does anybody know anything about this?

Sympathetic regards, and thanks for all the useful information,
Nina

M Williams Aug 23, 2004, 01:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
wow.....I wished I ran acroos this site a year ago.
I am also a fellow victim of the sony vaio laptop. I got my laptop about a year ago for school. I loved it for about a month and then things started to go down hill. Long story short it first stared shutting down when I treid to running programs and then would not boot. Plus the machine was overheating to the point that you could not put your hand near the fan, beacuse it was so hot. I had the warrany and sent it packing to sony. When I recieved it back was told it would not reboot because some part had been damaged by it overheating. Later I found it was the motherboard. Four month later it started having similar problems with it overheating and shutting down. I called sony and was told that the reason for it overheating was the I used it to much and the it was not meant to be used as desktop. I guess using it for school was not what sony had in mind. I gues they were selling me a paper weight and did not know it. I was so frustrated with sony that I gave up. Now with no warranty coverage I am stuck a machine that is only good for surfering the web as long I don't task it to much. So that means that can't install programs let alone try and run them.

so here I am adding a 2 cents about the sony product

specs:
pcg-grz660
512Mb
drd buner ( what a joke....can't use the thing because the machine overheats when it is in use)
ati 7500
pentium 4

Joe K Aug 23, 2004, 02:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
M Williams,

Try cleaning the CPU cooling system. That should clear things up a bit. There is another thread on here titled: "I have a GRZ530 and it sucks" or something to that effect, that covers your issue.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
martin johnson Aug 25, 2004, 07:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same problem here. FX905P 18 months old. Second SODIMM slot buggered. Damn it I'm cross. If non-US citizens can be involved in the class action, count me in. For now, I will just have to cope with 256mb of RAM. When I have enough cash to buy a new machine it sure as hell won't be a sony. Not only is their products**t, but their customer service is disgusting.

Good luck all!

Josh J Aug 27, 2004, 03:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop won't boot?
I sent my GRX off to Joe K. for the DIMM slot repair that's been causing most of the problems descibed in this forum. I got it back just yesterday after less than a week of having shipped it and the computer is running better than I ever remember it. For $149 + shipping, the repair is well worth it and a lot better than buying a new laptop. For his contact info, browse the previous posts - Or a couple of days (as of Aug 26) I'm sure he'll post it again. Thanks for the help Joe.

Q for Joe K.
Also, is the poor cooling a major part of the DIMM slot failing and, in your opinion, would a laptop cooling pad significantly increase the life of my VAIO GRX?

Josh

Joe K Aug 27, 2004, 10:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Josh,

There are several factors involved with the DIMM problem. Heat is one of them. It's always better for components to run cooler, so promoting lower operating temperatures and increasing heat dissipation is always a good thing.

The one most important thing a GRX, GRV, GRS, GRZ and GRT Vaio owner can do is keep the cooling system free and clear of debris buildup.

This debris blockage will kill your Vaio.

I have seen damaged CPUs, damaged power circuit components, cold solder welds, ect ect result directly from "overheating" one way or another.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
Jim Corelli Sep 01, 2004, 06:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
NEED A LAPTOP FIXED.....CALL Joe K He is good and Fair. Unlike SONY...

I would like to put in a good word for Joe K..He solved my problem with a SONY VAIO F=360 that would not boot except in a safe mode. I called him @716-832-2473, the girl that answered responded fast and spoke god old AMERICAN...If you have a laptop sony computer with a problem call Joe first. He has real good rates and if he can not fix it.(I bet he can fix any laptop)He will only charge you the freight.

He Fixed mine and returned it in less than a week

I give him a 10+ rating

Greg Wilson Sep 01, 2004, 09:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Add me onto the list. GRX550 bought June 2002. Dead today. Count me in on a suit!
First (Sept 2002) had the random power outages while on AC. Sent it in and they cleaned the machine.
Then my battery went dead (July 2003 right after the warranty expires)
Yesterday 256MB RAM disappears out of my 512MB.
Tonight the machine refuses to boot at all, or if it does, it locks after a few minutes.
Look at the length of this thread! 22 pages and no recalls or apologies from Sony. That certainly says something.

Greg Wilson Sep 01, 2004, 11:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Spent the past 2 hours talking to Sony support. No dice. I can send it to California on my $ to have them look at it or use it as an expensive doorstop.

One of the previous posts mentions a journal article about Sony knowing they had a manufacturing machine flaw that caused batches to have this problem. Can anyone dig up that article?

Monica Reategui Sep 02, 2004, 06:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I thought i post this already but seems like it did not. oh well, here i go again:
I did a search on Google and found this forum problem chain and i am glad i did! about two months ago my Vaio PCG-FX240 stopped display anything on the screen. I could hear the hardrive so i took to Best Buy and they told me they could not do anything because it was probably the motherboard. In other words that I my laptop was beyond repair. :(

read this forum!! went to my laptop and took the 128mb chip memory i had bought from crucial.com 3 years ago and my laptop is now working like a charm! but slower of course. I still don't know why for 3 years my laptop was working fine and all of a sudden screen would not display? the memory was bought 3 years ago! i even tried everything minus opening the case since it is hard on these laptops but nothing seemed to work until now thanks to this FORUM! Are we going to do a lawsuit against Sony for the type of defective hardware they are selling? We sure SHOULD!!

anyway, wanted to be part of this chani and tell everyone that taking the memory card out of the second slot worked for me. Good luck to the rest of you...

PS: Hope this gets posted this time!

Monica

Robby Zinchak Sep 02, 2004, 10:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Had bootup problems at the beginning of this week after doing an outdoors presentation in the heat. In retrospect, a very, very bad idea.

So far unplugging for a long time or just pressing on the center during bootup seems to be working (found the latter tip in here, thanks much!)

I'd definately be interested in a class action lawsuit, because I don't think I could afford a new system any other way. :(

Robert Belleman Sep 08, 2004, 03:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> PCG-505HS doesn't work from AC, doesn't charge battery
A friend gave me a PCG-505HS which he thought was dead. After I had disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the laptop, it turns out that it in fact does work but only from battery, not from AC. And on top of that, it doesn't charge the battery... The power adapter provides a good 16V, so that seems to work fine.

The little there was left in the battery is now completely gone, so I am left with a dead laptop afterall. :-(

Can anybody tell me if this is a known issue with this or similar models? I'm quite comfortable with doing modifications on electronics, so any tips, however technical, are welcome.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.