Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1102 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:39pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Tom Pappas Sep 08, 2004, 10:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Runs on battery, not AC
This is due to a design "feature" of Vaio laptops. The Sony engineers, in their wisdom, decided to connect the DC power jack to the mother board using solder only. This does not provide a strong mechanical connection, with the result that normal plugging and unplugging of the power plug causes the jack to separate from the board.

The cure is to completely disassemble the laptop and re-solder the connections.

Tom Pappas

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
John Wisz Sep 08, 2004, 07:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
My PCG-GRX 560 is like many others. It boots with only one working memory slot. Both memory chips work fine - but only when inserted into the "working" memory bank. Therefore, like many you, I have also benn running on 256K since January of 2004. I have not even thought about the other memory bank failing (god forbid!)

Sadly, I have owned and currently own many Sony products, including this computer. Over the years, I've discovered that Sony's products are great (when they don't fail) and they suck when they do. I've also learned that dealing with Sony on a "rational basis" is a foriegn concept to them (pun intended). This particular issue distrurbs me greatly because they make way too much money to not take care of their customers (many of them who have been loyal to the Sony Brand like myself).

I definitely want a piece of that class-action lawsuit. I want them to pay and pay dearly for failing to acknowledge a real problem and for failing to take care of their customers by standing behind their products.

Kavitha Rao Sep 10, 2004, 05:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Want to fix your Vaio? Send it to Joe K. I give him a 10+ rating too, like others.
Thank God, I found this web site!
My PCG-GRX550 had the same problem. I sent it to him and got it fixed within a week for $149+15 for shipping.
Here's his contact info....

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Mark Rishniw Sep 13, 2004, 11:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a FX-340, about 2 years old. I added 256MB additional memory about 8 months ago. It ran fine until this week (2 hours before a presentation at a meeting), when it failed to boot.

I took out the additional memory from Slot #2 - it booted fine.
I replaced the 128MB card with the 256MB card into slot #1 - it booted fine.
I put the 128MB card into slot #2 - it failed to boot again. Problem with Slot #2.
I pressed on the card in slot #2 manually while booting - it booted fine.
So I used the plastic insulation conduit fix method listed above. So far so good, but it's been only a few minutes. I think there is an issue with slot #2 connectivity. If you have the option, upgrade slot1 to 512MB and avoid slot 2 (unless it's an omen of things to come on Slot#1 - I'm not sure yet).

Joe K Sep 13, 2004, 11:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Mark,

No, you will not develope this problem with your working slot. It's only related to the first slot (toward back of system)

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Duncan Green Sep 13, 2004, 11:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe K

just read your last post.

I did a similar temp fix to my PCG GRV616 interesting thing is
temp fix is still going on slot 2
slot 1 has died on me.
I have to push in slot 1 to get past post boot then i just put cover back on & run on slot 2.

Whats your suggestions?

PS do you know any one that can fix in UK?

Otherwise gotta sort out shipping some time prefferably before it totally dies.

Im thinking 2 new slots could fix it? what dou you recon?

Regards

Duncan Green

UK

Joe K Sep 13, 2004, 01:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Duncan,

Mark has an FX, which is completely different from the GRX line. Eventually both slots on the GRX go bad, I'm not too sure if you need the slots replaced or simply re-soldered.

Richard in the UK can probably help you. Here is his email address: repairs@bk-repairs.co.uk

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Monica Reategui Sep 13, 2004, 01:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mark,
so if you upgrade slot #1 to a 256mb or 512mb from any brand it will still work fine? my laptop has been working fine ever since i took the other 256mb chip i bought from Crucial but i don't want to replace it with the original chip from sony with the fear it might not work again.

any advice?

on another note:
My aunt received a laptop FX150 not too long ago and thought it was not working. the battery was dead so i charged it with my fx240 ac power adapter and it worked fine after that. my niece dropped it by accident but it seem that it was not a very rough fall. it froze, then the screen went off. having experience with my other one i thought on trying removing the memory chip from slot 1 and put it back in. the laptop worked fine again for 2 weeks. i then replaced the keyboard to a new sony one. it worked fine for a day and now the screen is off again!!! what do i do? i feel bad that my aunt had to pay $88 for a new keyboard. this laptop had never had any memory upgrades on slot 2. why is the screen not coming on. i hear the hard disk working. this laptop i know it was very abused but it seems that it has hope. any ideas?

thanks!!
Monica

Mark Rishniw Sep 13, 2004, 01:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Monica,
I'm not sure about your other problems, but I also bought a Crucial memory upgrade and it has been working fine. So I don't think you need to change the type of chip you are using.

Jim Moore Sep 13, 2004, 01:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Unfortunately - I just took my GRX-560 to Sony's Bristol PA site before finding this forum...my problem might be a little different though. I had NON-storm related power failure and when I walked back to my laptop it was a black screen and only the power light on, it was plugged in (to a surge protector). I went to reboot and when I rebooted the fan started up and then died, no HDD activity light and the computer just sits there black screen with the power light on.

Joe K, one question I keep seeing these refurb'ed Sony's 3.2Ghz with 16" screens and they look JUST like mine, are they upgraded MoBo/CPU's in same plastic case? If so, can I upgrade to this and is it cost effective?
Thanks for your time....

Joe K Sep 13, 2004, 02:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

What model number are you refering to? The GRTs?

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Monica Reategui Sep 13, 2004, 02:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mark,
that is great news thanks! i actually am using the 128mb sony chip. the 256mb is from Crucial and i need it to speed my applications. it is so slow right now. i will insert the 256mb into my laptop and i hope it works.

i hope someone can aswer my other questions though.

thanks again!

Joe K Sep 14, 2004, 09:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Monica,

On the FX150, when you say slot 1, which slot are you referring to? The slot closest to the front of the system or the one closest to the back of the system?

It's almost impossible to diagnose what the potential problem might be after the fall without looking at it. Of course there is always the possibility that the fall may have caused the RAM slot to lose contact, but once again, it all depends on your diagnosis you stated before and what slot you identified as slot 1 and slot 2.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Monica Reategui Sep 14, 2004, 10:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,
i was referring to the closest one to the back [slot 1]. slot 2 that faces front of the laptop is empty. the laptop was not able to scan, went slow to freezing. the keyboard and mouse will not respond. then i had to manually shut it down a couple of times. i replaced the keyboard by the way [after the fall which happened about a month ago and then the laptop was fine] and worked fine with it for 2 days. the second day it froze, not able to scan because it will freeze and now the screen won't show. not sure what is going on with it. :}

i am giving up!

thanks for your response and hoping to get an advice on what to do.

Monica

Joe K Sep 14, 2004, 10:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Monica,

My first bit of advise is to get the RAM chip out of the slot closest to the rear and put it in the slot closest to the front of the system. Have you tried that? Leave the slot closest to the rear empty.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
tom kington Sep 15, 2004, 05:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi there,

I am one more adding my ruined sony laptop to the list - not amused i assure you.

I have the same issue as most of you - no response at all, power light on, CD drive spins then stops then nothing - just a black screen, no HD accessing.

I was encouraged by the RAM slots solution - except i only have one RAM module in the thing anyway! Does this mean I am in deep trouble? - i tried swapping which slot it was in, and reverted to the original RAM it came with but nothing worked. One time, though, the SONY logo flashed up before it froze (so it feels like something must have changed a bit)

Any advice? - is it worth changing the BIOS battery anyway?

thanks

Tom Kington

Monica Reategui Sep 15, 2004, 11:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

swapping the memory chip to the other slot made it come alive again! now of course, i get so skeptical with these laptops. i am carrying them like crystal glass. i get so afraid i might bang on it slightly or even if i push the lid a little. how frustrating. i am worried it might not work again. I have to give this laptop back to my aunt who trusted me to fix it. which i did in the beginning. :(

i hope i don't have to come here for more advice even though i appreciate it immensely. Thanks Joe and all of you out there. who ever started the chain as well. WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING WITH THE ACTION SUIT.

Tom
BIOS battery might work. i saw that in another forum chain and for some people that was the case. also check the overheating problem.

Monica

Joe K Sep 15, 2004, 10:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 15, 2004, 10:30pm EDT

Monica,

Don't worry, the front slot in the FX series is solid. It will never go bad.

Good luck,

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Joe K Sep 15, 2004, 10:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Tom,

I don't think your problem has much to do with the BIOS battery. I don't think you stated what model vaio you have?

If it's a GRX and you were able to get the Sony logo to appear once, chances are you have the RAM slot problem..

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Monica Reategui Sep 16, 2004, 12:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

so far so good!! thank again for the advice.

Monica

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.