Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1148 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:46pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Jose Ortega Sep 22, 2004, 12:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Monica,

Your problem might be the LCD display. I had the same problem some time ago and I had to send it out for repair. The LCD display was the problem. You can check this by connecting a CTR monitor and switch from LCD to VGA.

The thing is that the LCD displays are kind of expensive.

Hope this helps.

Jose.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Gonzalo Acuna Sep 22, 2004, 03:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi:
You can add PCG-GRZ530 to the list... I owned it for almost 2 years and...well, you know the rest of the story.
I have the same problem that others posted here. I mean, I am form Chile and bought this crap by direct import.
I feel very dissapointed with sony (with lowercase) and the only thing that aliviate my angry is that i'm not alone in the beautiful world of sony vaio.....sad but true.

S Austin Sep 23, 2004, 05:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just one more "me too" to add. I've had my VAIO PCG-FX250 since 2000 with nary a problem (other than crappy battery life of course) and recently decided to go from 384M to the max 512MB. Second slot suddenly stopped working. The shrinkwrap solution was killer! Also, be aware that there's a specific type of SODIMM required for these - I'm using the Kingmax 16-chip design purchased from memorysuppliers.com.

Thanks all for sharing!

Cheers
S. Austin
USA

Seshadri Subramanian Sep 25, 2004, 10:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Vaio PCG-GRX 520 stopped working this past sunday. I came back after an
overnight break and started my notebook and nothing would happen other than the
green power light coming on. Very similar to a lot of problems higlighted in this
forum. Called Sony and got the usual BS- it could be a LCD or a motherboard
problem that could cost me $600 +. Thankfully had the sense to run a Google
Search on Vaio problems and this site came up.

I am almost 100% confident that I am having the same DIMM slot issue that seems
to be such a common theme. After going over some of your feedback, I emailed
Sony support indicating the problem I am facing and directing them to this
website. Got back a canned response saying since my warranty period is over,
there will be cost and I can send my notebook in for repair. Wrote back saying
they were not getting my point that this is a larger problem and Sony needs to
take responsibility for it or face the possibility of a law suit or conusmer
affairs on their back. Got a response asking me call 888 476 6972 available 24
hours a day, 7 days a week (001 239 768 7676 from outside of US) since they
believe in addressing customer service issues through live, personal
commnunication.

I called them yesterday. Spoke to rep who once again gave me the same reponse
that it was out of warrantly blah blah. I was firm and told him Sony is not
recognizing the problem. Asked him to go to this site while we were on phone and
that was an eye opener for him. Put me on hold to talk to a supervisor. Came
back in 5 mins saying not much can be done since this was not a "known issue"
and that I will have to pay for the repair. I didn't accept that answer and asked
to speak to the supervisor. Supervisor came in 5 mins and kind of said the same
thing "it is not a known issue". I said now you know that this is an issue so
that should make it a "known issue" and address it just like car companies
address defects through recall and recall servicing. He went through some of
the feedback on the site with me and seemed to recognize that there could be a
bigger problem waiting for Sony. Said that he will disucss this internally and
with his team and get back to me next week. I am hoping that they take the right
path and address this common issue which in most cases happens in less than 2
years after purchase. I spent about 30 mins in the entire call but I fought for
what I believe is right.

I recommend that you all do the same. The more people they hear from directly,
the more likely that they will address this issue. It is a 30 mins worth
spending. When you call this number you will get a voice recognition system,
answer the questions and eventually it will get you to a live person. I am not
sure but at some point, you may be told that there could be a $19.99 charge,
just go ahead and when the live person comes just explain to them why you are
calling. Direct them to this site while you are on phone so that they can see
whats going on and have them open a complain ticket. Also talk to a supervisor if
you can. Make sure you take all their names and employee ids. If enough of us
call, we might be able to see some positive results sooner rather than later.
Feel free to contact me at sesh1998@hotmail.com if you have specific questions
about my experience.

Ahmed A Sep 28, 2004, 12:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow. All these problems are with older model Vaio Laptops, but I have a brand new (less than a month old) VGN-S150, and the computer refuses to boot 95% of the time...it often takes me holding down the power button for 5 seconds to force the thing to turn back off to do anything..
It turns on, the CD spins, the fans whirl...then it just stops...

The laptop does occasionally turn on, but once I turn it off or hibernate it...it doesn't come back often.

Its a very weird problem that I need some help with..

Monica Reategui Sep 28, 2004, 12:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oh my god, I called Sony but I don't think i have the money to pay to an agent!!! I know it will help but it is ridicoulous that we have to pay money to speak with an agent! our problems cost already.

thanks for the input Seshadri. instead of calling i will try e-mailing them at: sos@info.sel.sony.com and let them know about this website. Whoever does not want to pay 19.95 per incident might want to e-mail instead of calling but please call or send an e-mail so they can at least know that this is a KNOWN ISSUE.

Thanks so much again for your time and explanation Seshadri

Monica

Mynystry R Sep 28, 2004, 07:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone?
Does someone here knows a place in Germany where they could fix this problem with the motherboard for a fair price (alike Hero Joe)?

Seshadri Subramanian Sep 28, 2004, 09:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry Monica..I should have been clearer. I did not pay $19.95. You should explain to them that you are not calling for consultation but rather to complain and make them aware of this widespread and also direct them to this site.

Monica Reategui Sep 29, 2004, 12:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Seshadri,
you are right. I think i read it at some point on your message and then forgot what you explaind. Then it is worth to do it. i will call them one of these days.

thanks again.

BTW, my Aunt's laptop FX150 still not working. I tried everything. I am going to give it to my friend to fix it and see what he can come up with.
my FX240 is starting to act weird. it is working great but slow but also i noticed that the battery indicator is showing that is losing charge even though the ac adaptor is plugged into it. i wonder if my battery indicator feature is just not working anymore or is it my ac adaptor? I hope this laptop does not get bad again! I can't afford a new one at this point. [this was to whoever wanted to reply and not specifically to you Seshadri]

Monica

micha richards Sep 29, 2004, 11:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HI FELLOW SUFFERERS,
MY SONY VIAO PCG-FX370 ALSO WET THE BED ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO. I NOTICED MEMORY FAULT PROBLEMS AND RANDOM REBOOTS OVER THE COURSE OF JUST LITTLE OVER A YEAR. SO THOUGH FULLY PREPARED FOR THIS (BLESSED) EVENT I WAS STILL IN DENIAL OF ITS IMINENT ACCURANCE. MY ADVICE DUMP ALL SONY COMPUTER PRODUCTS STICK WITH WHAT THEY KNOW BEST T.V.s AND WALKMANS. THE ONLY COST FFECTIVE SAVING GRACE
WAS THAT I CAN SALVAGE MY HDD AS MY DATA IS STILL INTACT ALL I NEED IS A NEW LAPTOP TO INSTALL IT INTO. SUE SONY ? I'M ALL FOR IT ADD ME TO THE LIST

Ryan Gardner Sep 29, 2004, 08:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same problem! Just removed the memory and it worked!!! Thanks a lot!

Mark Traphagen Sep 30, 2004, 04:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Add me to the list of those with the recurring won't boot problem. My PCG-GRV670 worked like a charm for close to two years. Then a week ago, it wouldn't boot...you know the routine....lights come on, here things running, but then it just sits. Finally found that if I banged it on the back, it would start. Now have to do that for about 2/3 of my startups.

Someone suggested breaking a CD and putting a little piece of it (CDs are very heat resistant) between the memory chips and the access panel. I'm going to try that and report back in a few days.

Jim Brucculeri Oct 01, 2004, 03:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Another VaioVictim here...

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the board here for the info...thankfully I Googled and found this thread and sent my GRX3P off to Joe Kabalan at AQS, who made everything right. Sony wanted about $750 plus labor for an new motherboard...even after my postage costs (I'm 7,000 miles away in Abu Dhabi, UAE), Joe was half the price, and he got the machine back to me 11 days after I sent it out. Pretty amazing, since Sony is only up the road in Dubai, and they said they needed two weeks.

Sony's attitude to the whole problem is mystifying. The GRX series and its variants were huge sellers, but now all those customers who Sony worked so hard to get to choose Sony are going to go over to Dell, Toshiba, IBM, etc. when it's time to upgrade. Those lost sales must dwarf whatever the cost would be to voluntarily fix the problem, even if the machine was out of warranty. Personally, I feel like Sony hosed me, and they've definitely lost me as a PC customer for good. Penny wise, pound foolish on Sony's part, I suppose.

Anyway, thanks again to all who posted on this thread.

Jim Brucculeri

micha richards Oct 01, 2004, 01:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,
Heres a site you all may be interested in checking out!! http://www.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~zwerger/cip/Vaio/indexeng.htm
it gives a great short stop solution for the symtoms but only sony can the desease.

Joe K Oct 01, 2004, 02:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Micha,

Thanks for posting that link,

EVERYONE, that link Micha posted is for the old Vaio F SERIES and NOT the GRX, GRV, GRZ, or even FX Series notebooks.

Just an FYI.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Mark Traphagen Oct 01, 2004, 02:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Placed a strip cut from 3x5 card & folded once on top of each row of memory chips and then put the access panel back on. It has started every time now (about 15 attempts) for the last 24 hours. Previously would not boot 80% of the time.

Time will tell if this is more than a temporary fix.

Joe K Oct 01, 2004, 02:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion..

As I have stated before on previous pages, if you want to use the temp fix (yes, it temporary, this issue is about 2 years old now) apply the object (nothing metal) on the white or beige DIMM connector that the RAM sits in and NOT the RAM chip.

If you look at the RAM chip and the way it sits in the connector, when you apply pressure to the RAM chip, you are pivoting the RAM chip toward the motherboard thus pushing the pin portion of the RAM (sitting in the connector) away from the motherboard.

The problem with the DIMM sockets is not the connection between the RAM and the connector, but the Connector and the motherboard pins. So applying pressure to the connector gently and slightly forcing it to make contact with the motherboard is what you want.

Please read the past posts on the previous pages for all the other side effects of this temp fix.

Thank you,

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Joe Kabalan
Mark Traphagen Oct 01, 2004, 04:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe:

Thanks for your response. I wonder if I actually have the DIMM (or whatever the acronym) to motherboard problem, then, since my current fix (slight pressure on the chips themselves) is working great. I read somewhere on another web site about a guy who discovered that some of the pins from the chips themselves had not been soldered well. He fixed it by re-soldering since he had the skill and equipment to do so. But he said that pushing down on the chips would have the same effect. Since pushing on the access panel above the chips would allow my computer to boot (before my 3x5 fix), I suspect that that is my case.

In any case, am I in danger of doing damage with this very slight pressure on the chips? If not, I'm inclined to leave it be on the principle of "if it was broke, but now works....don't fix it more!"

Mark

Joe K Oct 01, 2004, 05:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 01, 2004, 05:04pm EDT

Hi Mark!

If you apply pressure on the RAM itself, it will allow the system to work, I'm not saying it won't. What I'm saying is that you are adding stress to a perfectly good connector that may end up needing to be replaced in due time. You more than likely indeed have the typical problem just as everyone else.

So, adding the pressure on the RAM chip itself will work, but you're not helping the problem much really, you're only possibly doing more damage to the connector by applying additional pressure on the bottom row of pins in the connector.

Let me put it like this. Lets say you have a swing set that's legs are coming out of the ground.

For example's sake,

the swing set frame = the RAM connector
The swing seat itself = the RAM chip
The swing seat chain = pins on the connector

The pins on the RAM connector connect the RAM chip with the connector (pretty obvious) so that is like the swing seat chain connecting it to the swing set frame.

So, the swing set frame (consisting of two A shaped tubes on each end) are coming out of the ground. Now, you can do one of two things, you can apply downward force on the swing seat to force the whole frame into the ground.

OR

You can apply downward force on top of the A frames on each end to force the swing set frame into the ground.

When you apply pressure on the actual RAM chip (the swing seat) you put unnecessary pressure on the swing seat chain (the pins in the connector) when you can just apply direct pressure on the problem area.

So, yes, applying slight pressure on the RAM chip itself will appear to work, but you should be applying slight gentle pressure to the connector itself.

The RAM connectors used in the GRX line are made by JAE Corp. Those connectors are rated for I think 26 - 30 insertions and removals max. If you think about it, no one is inserting and removing RAM in a notebook more than 4 maybe 5 times in the life of the system. That is the average.

The only time I have seen damage to the DIMM connector is when a previous repair attempt has gone bad or too much pressure was applied such as your are doing and the retaining clips (on both sides of the RAM) snapping off.

You said:

"a guy who discovered that some of the pins from the chips themselves had not been soldered well. He fixed it by re-soldering since he had the skill and equipment to do so. But he said that pushing down on the chips would have the same effect. "

This is a very odd case, and not very common.

Hope this helps,

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Joe Kabalan
Mark Traphagen Oct 01, 2004, 05:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A very helpful and well-written explanation, Joe.

I'm going to move my pressure points to the connectors and see what happens. If it works as well, you may have saved me doing further damage to my laptop. This thing has to get me through all my seminary papers this year!

Thanks again.

Mark

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.